You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
betazmag

Remember Iwo Jima this Day

31 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
152 posts
4,467 battles

Remember the US Marines and Sailors that stormed the beaches of Iwo Jima, 70 years ago this day. I found many photos and articles about this great battle and there are too many to mention to post here. Google search as I have, and you will find some great information. Semper Fidelis Marines!

• Cool 5

152 posts
4,467 battles

Thanks for posting that Kookaburras, I need to find out how to post pics here.

Alpha Tester
2,800 posts
1,291 battles

Thanks for posting that Kookaburras, I need to find out how to post pics here.

Use the box with mountains and a sun/moon thing 

hsttEs6.png

Keep in mind a lot of sites are blocked, so you might have to re-upload the images to Imgur or something 

Edited by Kookaburras
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
3,315 posts
27,013 battles

When I hear of Iwo Jima I think of john Wayne the movie and also of a real hero, I brought the book and read about his heroisms at Guadalcanal  who won the ( medal of honor ) there He and his squad of machine gunners killed an entire  Elite Japanese Marine Regiment (3000 men) and who died three years later at Iwo Jima, Born and raised in new jersey SGT. John Basilone, USMC a true war hero, NOT those so called sport heroes.

152 posts
4,467 battles

I found this on the Marines facebook page, check out all these pics of these old warriors. Makes me want to go to the nearest VA or VFW post. Last USMC birthday I brought a bottle of Scotch to nearest assisted living center to  drink with some of those devil dogs. Apparently, it was a bad idea since Scotch doesn't go well with all their meds. 

Edited by betazmag

Beta Testers
3,315 posts
27,013 battles

When I hear of Iwo Jima I think of john Wayne the movie and also of a real hero, I brought the book and read about his heroisms at Guadalcanal  who won the ( medal of honor ) there He and his squad of machine gunners killed an entire  Elite Japanese Marine Regiment (3000 men) and who died three years later at Iwo Jima, Born and raised in new jersey SGT. John Basilone, USMC a true war hero, NOT those so called sport heroes.

Sorry the Name of the Book is called I'm Staying with my Boys by Jim Proser with Jerry Cutter

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
925 posts
3,435 battles

So much life lost over islands.  Pacific Theater was downright brutal with no chance of the trappings of civilization you could find in Europe. :honoring: to all that served and lost their lives. The Pacific was a fantastic series for seeing the horrors of the island hopping

Members
257 posts

I greatly enjoyed the film Letters from Iwo Jima, though I honestly had a harder time enjoying Flags of Our Fathers. I've been thinking about trying to watch the latter again since my lack of appreciation for Flags could be because I didn't really understand what was going on half the time due to the number of characters and the amount of jumping around between time periods in the screenplay.

:honoring: for all who did their duty on that island.

Edited by Fog_Cruiser_Atago
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
447 posts
1,566 battles

I found this on the Marines facebook page, check out all these pics of these old warriors. Makes me want to go to the nearest VA or VFW post. Last USMC birthday I brought a bottle of Scotch to nearest assisted living center to  drink with some of those devil dogs. Apparently, it was a bad idea since Scotch doesn't go well with all their meds. 

Try the navy vets. My Grandfather is one and he drinks a scotch when he comes over to our house each week.
  • Cool 1

[LFD]
Alpha Tester
3,951 posts
723 battles

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"- Admiral Chester Nimitz describing the Marines at Iwo Jima

HOORAH

• Cool 1

6,298 posts
6,911 battles

I salute all of those who were involved with that bloody fight :honoring:.

A good movie to watch with this is Letters From Iwo Jima.  It was surprisingly even in its praise and criticism for both the Japanese and American characters...especially since Clint Eastwood directed the movie.  Also, it has one of the most heart wrenching themes in cinema:

Edited by Fog_Carrier_Hiryuu

Alpha Tester
4,720 posts
12 battles

Ill just leave this here. 

First_Iwo_Jima_Flag_Raising.jpg

Edited by Windhover118
  • Cool 2

152 posts
4,467 battles

I want to thank everyone's comments and contributions to this thread, where everyone appreciates world and military history from around the world despite various political views and so forth. Apparently a similar thread started by someone else quickly turned to crap and ended up being locked. SMH some people in this game are are something else. Too many damn trolls in WoT forums and game. 

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/423026-on-this-day-in-history1945/page__p__8585208#entry8585208

Edited by betazmag

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,906 posts
4,896 battles

I salute all of those who were involved with that bloody fight :honoring:.

A good movie to watch with this is Letters From Iwo Jima.  It was surprisingly even in its praise and criticism for both the Japanese and American characters...especially since Clint Eastwood directed the movie.  Also, it has one of the most heart wrenching themes in cinema:

I have seen way to many Americans version of the story movies. I want to see more movies from other nations point of view like this above. Other examples: Downfall, some russians movies with english subtitles, ete. You get the idea

152 posts
4,467 battles

Check out the Russian movie STALINGRAD, and of course with English subtitles.