You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
teleStraightShooter

Akizuki 100mm IFHE buff - how does this shift your Commander Skills builds?

17 comments in this topic

Members
74 posts
10,158 battles

Since the IJN 100mm HE will now pen 25mm (32mm w/IFHE), this OP buff is very much liked by this captain w/1.3k battles w/ her.

Here is how rank the new order of usefulness of its commanders skills.

1) IFHE - on average 30% - 40% of hits are shatters; this should drop it to 15%(?) Translating to 40 more pens, up to.... ~20k more damage.

2) SurvExp - the rudder shift nurf from 4.8 seconds to 5.8 seconds will mean absorbing more hits, even if your running 2 rudder shift upgrades. (Well, duh! Its really a CL w/730m turn radius)

3) AdrenalinRush - for a measly 2 cmmdr pts approach 20% buff in RPM, from 160 to 192.

4) PriorityTarget - need to pick one from row 1, slightly better than PrevMaint.

5) BFT - 10% buff in RPM & 20% more AA in this boat that was historicly designed for AA.

6) AFT - it takes advanced skill to drop rainbow shots between 11.33 - 13.6km, but the landing shells sound like a cash register.

7) ExpMark- w/11.25 secs to rotate 180, the 1.5 seconds faster make a difference in a unexpectes knife fight.

--- 19 pt threshold for skills listed above --

8) DemExp - +2% in fire chance is nice, but I expect BFT will net slightly more damage w/IFHE . Do the math.

9) LastStand- very useful but it's low on my list because if your cap diving w/ this even slower turning, more visible CL..... your doing it wrong.

ConcealmentExpert, RadioLocation, ManualAA - I love theses skills but there is a big opportunity cost in using them & skipping more efficient skills.

• Bad 1

[KSC]
Supertester
53 posts
7,451 battles

I don’t think it’s goinf to affect anyone’s captains builds. Running the same skills as before your ship just becomes a much better damage dealer being able to pen more armor . Taking ifhe on most guns under 152mm is a pretty solid investment of 4 points if you are slinging a lot of he.

[BOATC]
Members
185 posts
3,237 battles

With every DD other than I guess Khaba, the first 10 points, no matter what, should always be Preventative Maintenance, Last Stand, Survivability Expert, Concealment Expert.

With the 100mm buff, there are at least now two viable options for Akizuki from there:

Adrenaline Rush, Demolition Expert or Superintendent, IFHE -- Basically play like the old Aki only now you take a cruiser that you run into, and you melt it like an icecube in hell.

Adrenaline Rush, Demolition Expert or Superintendent, RPF -- You find the DD. You find the DD and you end it.

BFT is not worth it for the reload buff, and you barely see any carriers anymore. Demo expert is not just for the raw DPM, it's because very often the torp hits you get on people are going to be one out of your small spread of 4, so you want that fire chance to stick a perma fire on them before running off.

Edited by tenfingerstentoes
  • Cool 1

Members
74 posts
10,158 battles

When I start a battle in this performs-Like-a-CL, I look for a DD to back up who probably will be an attention [edited] splashing about in the cap.

Resulting in a plethora of targets without being targeted.

[BOATC]
Members
185 posts
3,237 battles
10 minutes ago, teleStraightShooter said:

When I start a battle in this performs-Like-a-CL, I look for a DD to back up who probably will be an attention [edited] splashing about in the cap.

Resulting in a plethora of targets without being targeted.

It's not a CL at all, before the nerf it's got 5.9km detection. Ok, so it's not Kagero but it's pretty stealthy as is. Khaba is a CL, Aki is definitely a DD and can and should do DD things like contest caps.

Members
74 posts
10,158 battles

Historically, yes, Aki was DD. Simular size, speed & turn radius to Shimmy & Kagero.

In WoWs, not so much, and that's a "balance" thingy to compensate for it's OP fun guns.

It's "nibleness" is nurfed to stiffer than a mino. Size wise it's a CL making it a bigger target.

Perhaps it's my play style but more often than not that I pretended it's a IJN ninja cap snatcher, I ended up dead, cursing @ the fact I couldn't dodge those torps like other DDs easily can.

I have much more success backing up a DD who would get detected 1st, sometimes in the cap, but always w/ a @#$%! HitsTheFanExitPlan

[CVA16]
Members
2,293 posts
9,867 battles

Seems like with the rudder nerf it might need CE more than ever. If you are successfully hiding in smoke (no torpedo walls coming your way, no radars nearby) or can find a convenient island, the other skills are better. Out in the open the ability to go unseen or go dark faster may be the only way to avoid death.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,801 posts
15,249 battles
1 hour ago, teleStraightShooter said:

Since the IJN 100mm HE will now pen 25mm (32mm w/IFHE), this OP buff is very much liked by this captain w/1.3k battles w/ her.

Did you notice that the 100 mm guns will now pen every DD EXCEPT KHAB!! How could anyone ever accuse this game of Russian Bias?!?!?

• Funny 1

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

The buff doesn't really change my build. Just the order in which I would get IFHE. 

Prior to the patch my build order would ha e been 10-CE, 14-IFHE, 18-AFT. Once the patch goes live it will be AFT before IFHE. 

And who knows, maybe within that time I'll consider IFHE less valuable that the other options might be more beneficial... idk, maybe MFCAA for a specific cmdr when I division with a CV.

The 4pt Opportunity Cost that got freed up can easily drop into the same CMDR skill. But it also has a fair number of possibilities it could now become. 

• Cool 1

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,639 battles

I'm gonna have to see if the new IFHE pen values are worth keeping, or if I should do away with IFHE. I think this makes AFT a lot more lucrative. But I also want AR. and that makes troubles. 

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
16 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

I'm gonna have to see if the new IFHE pen values are worth keeping, or if I should do away with IFHE. I think this makes AFT a lot more lucrative. But I also want AR. and that makes troubles. 

Well the areas you're currently shooting at with IFHE would generally be the same places you're shooting at without, for the new patch. The minor differences depending on where you're currently getting shatters; some will become Pens. 

Members
272 posts
3,535 battles

Before I get going I should start by saying that I'm in the club of former random battle players that switched to co-op when the meta got really bad. I don't see the change affecting my build on my two current 100mm gunned DDs. Harekaze and Akizuki will likely keep the PM, last stand, BFT, IFHE basic setup that I use for them (Harekaze only has a 10 pointer right now, so I only listed the skills they have in common). Concealment Expert is rarely useful in co-op given that the bots know where you are whether you are spotted or not, they just have the decency to wait till you're 'officially' spotted before shooting. What the change will effect will be the basic build I use for the 10 pointer captains I have lined up and waiting for Kitakaze and Harugumo. I'll be able to wait on getting IFHE (if I decide to, I'm not 100% settled on it yet) and instead continue the trend I have going on Akizuki with her 14 point captain of a hybrid guns/AA build. Manual AA on Akizuki when you get CVs every other match in co-op is quite fun. Another thing the HE pen buff makes me want to try is a secondary build on Kii and possibly Zao, this change takes that from being a non-option to suddenly being very interesting. I already have a few secondary build IJN captains (from Nagato, Izumo, Musashi, and Yamato), so it would mainly be a matter of switching captains and trading out one upgrade module to change my AA build into a secondary build.

Edited by CaptHarlock_222
dog gone missing letters in words

Members
74 posts
10,158 battles

On 1st day of 1/4 pen for IJN 100mm HE, I have noticed the shatter rate is ~40% less, as expected.

This creates noticeably more damage; the problem is STAYING alive with the rudder shift nerf, which make my Akizuki less shifty while dodging incoming fire/ torps. Will need to adjust play style accordingly. 

These 3 balance changes really funnels Akizuki to mini CL role.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

Maybe the Akizuki onwards is going the way of the Khaba... 

SGM3 over CSM1. 

WG could subtly be saying, "you've got guns you're going to be detected anyways; Why play Max Conceal." 

Members
74 posts
10,158 battles

I have concluded that best Aki Cmdr Skills are  BFT/ DE/ IFHE
I've used them in 15 battles today & averaging 76k damage - this is a jump of ~25k damage for me.

I've been driving her Like a CL, w/ Concealment in upgrade slot 5 & Rudder Shift mod 1 in slot 4

[SALVO]
Members
17,069 posts
17,737 battles
On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:59 PM, Ivlerlin said:

Maybe the Akizuki onwards is going the way of the Khaba... 

SGM3 over CSM1. 

WG could subtly be saying, "you've got guns you're going to be detected anyways; Why play Max Conceal." 

It's a thought, but dayum, going with a no-concealment (other than camo paint) Akizuki build could be painful.  Instead of a concealment of 6.1, you're looking at a concealment of 7.5km (with camo paint).  And then you'll be outspotted by almost everything that has gone for a concealment build, and since it's an Akizuki, you'll never run them down.

It seems like going for a no concealment build would really force the Aki into playing like a Light Cruiser, rather than a relatively stealthy DD.  I suppose that it's a legit way to go, but you're going to end up in the same spot as a DD like the Khab where contending for caps is just plain unwise due to your bad concealment.  Put another way and meaning nothing offensive, a no concealment build Akizuki seems like a rather selfish build where it's all about playing the role of damage producing gunboat, rather than a more generalist DD that can outgun almost any other DD she ends up against in a gun duel.

OTOH, I could see possibly going with a half concealment build, giving up either the concealment module or the CE skill for something else.  In the case of the module, perhaps replacing with it with the steering mod 3.  And in the case of CE, maybe having IFHE and AFT as the 4th level skills with no CE.  But then you're talking about a DD with a Concealment of 6.75km in either case, since both CE and the Conceal mod have -10% concealment bonuses.  Is 6.75km concealment worth the benefit you'd get from giving up either the Conceal module (for the Steering mod 3) or giving up CE for another 4th level skill?  I don't know.

[SALVO]
Members
17,069 posts
17,737 battles
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:57 PM, teleStraightShooter said:

I have concluded that best Aki Cmdr Skills are  BFT/ DE/ IFHE
I've used them in 15 battles today & averaging 76k damage - this is a jump of ~25k damage for me.

I've been driving her Like a CL, w/ Concealment in upgrade slot 5 & Rudder Shift mod 1 in slot 4

Shooter, I'm not convinced that gaining 0.3 seconds of reload reduction is worth taking BFT when you could take something like SE or SI instead.