You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
cgbosn4

Welcome to USCA (US Cruiser Anonymous)

8 comments in this topic

[USCG]
Members
201 posts
12,946 battles

Hello. My in game name is cgbosn4 and I’m terrible at US cruiser play.  There, I said it.  I could say that US cruisers stink but I know many of you like them and their play style.  I guess they’re just not for me.

I completed the grind (and yes, it was a grind) to the Des Moines right before the US cruiser split.  I must admit that I completed every other nations tier 10 cruiser quest before I finished the Des Moines grind.  Back before the split the early tiers were meh, Cleveland at T6 was fine, Pensacola…no, New Orleans…no, Baltimore…meh.  I find the Des Moines is the best of the bunch by far but still I have no love for her.

Now the split happened...  Not going to mention the new Pensacola/New Orleans/Baltimore because I have not tried them (except I did do the Pensa mission at the start). I have not tried the Buffalo yet, don’t want to.  I burned up tons of camo & flags on my new T8 Cleveland in the Cherry Blossom mission to grind my way to the Seattle.  Ahhh…the Seattle…where do I start.  Slow, turns like a brick and has guns that hit like a pillow.  Have I mentioned the gun arc? Moonshots.  Why up the gun range when you can’t hit anything at distance.  Yes, it can shoot over islands. No, I don’t want to hide behind an island all match.  It has radar…but if you get close enough to use it your “how many ships are targeting you” indicator cranks up to numbers I’ve never seen before…  Yesterday, match maker put me up against a Kronshtadt as the only T9 cruisers.  Me in my Seattle (something like 42000 HPs) vs the Russian monster at somewhere around 71,000 HPs.  I have the Kron.  The Seattle is not in the same category let alone tier as the Kron.  Let’s just say it wasn’t a Rocky vs. Drago remake…

I refuse to use free XP to get to the Wooster (which will probably frustrate me in different ways). I don’t have any problems with the other lines like I do the US cruiser lines.  I watch video and try different tactics but I the end I just don't do well in them.  Is it me or are the ships at fault?  Perhaps a little of both...

• Boring 1

[LEGIT]
Members
380 posts
8,585 battles

I love the US heavy cruisers, but they aren't for everyone. If you don't like them, don't force it, and just drop them. Play with something you enjoy and perform well in, it's a game, meant to have fun, afterall. As for the light cruisers, I'm a little on the fence, I'm having fun with Dallas, not a lot of fun with Cleveland, ill see when I play them a bit more I guess. I haven't tried to "force" it on myself though, I just get the urge to cruiser sometimes, just like I get the urge to DD, BB, or switch to some other nation, or replay a ship I like that hasn't been played in a while... and eventually stuff gets unlocked.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
6,395 posts
2,380 battles
1 hour ago, _Lord_Scott_ said:

Don't have any USN ships didn't interest me.

Why brag about your ignorance?

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
325 posts
4,656 battles

When I play terrible, I don't continue up the tree. Let alone every tree. And some premiums.

+1 OP

[YARRR]
Members
401 posts
4,756 battles

I ground up the entire US CA line in prep for the split, and now that it has happened, I will be culling the herd quite a bit.  Des Moines is a good boat, so it stays.  Oddly I like Dallas, and Helena is my new all around favorite ship in the game, so they are keepers.  The issue is in doubt for the rest of the CA line though.  I just don't enjoy them, at all.  I may keep Pensecola, but New Orleans through Baltimore are right out. 

My old fave Cleveland is now in an odd place.  I was very excited for her move to T8, but now, the love affair with her has diminished because of her seeing T10 so much.  Mogami  in her "CL" configuration, for me, just gives better options when up tiered, mostly because of her torpedoes.  I dunno, it's hard to get rid of her, but I want her 16 point capt. for Alaska when she makes her appearance.  I'll just have to wait to make the call on sending Cleveland to the breaker's  yard till after Alaska gets here.

If the game played more like real life, then the US cruisers would certainly shine a lot more, but it doesn't and they don't.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,395 posts
2,380 battles
1 minute ago, ElAurens said:

My old fave Cleveland is now in an odd place.  I was very excited for her move to T8, but now, the love affair with her has diminished because of her seeing T10 so much.

Use Cleveland and Baltimore in Cherry Blossom, and Pensacola in Tier 6 Ops.  Your opinion will change.  I've got a 16-pointer on Balto, hopefully bound for Alaska. I plan to keep all my USN cruisers, but will not grind above T8 (I do have Buffalo) until the prospect of Alaska becomes clear. Meanwhile other lines to work.

[YARRR]
Members
401 posts
4,756 battles

I don't play the OPs much, perhaps I should.   I'm not grinding up to Woostah, that's for sure.

I've been neglecting my BBs since the US cruisers became a thing, so I'll be going back to them for a bit.  May keep playing Cleveland to get her captain more experience before transferring to Alaska.