Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Got my Legendary Upgrade (Gearing)

24 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
6,262 posts
8,901 battles

I just got my Legendary Upgrade for the Gearing, It seems less than "Legendary" and more like a nerf. Over the existing module, all it does is increase concealment 5%, in exchange for a 15% nerf in main battery firing rate and a 5% nerf in torpedo reload time.

Is this thing worth mounting? Well, I suppose it will let the Gearing spot a Shimi or another highly-concealed DD at the same time as it is spotted but it will take 15% more time to kill it and you potentially will receive 15% more damage.

I guess that if I go with Main Battery Modification 3, this nerf will go down to only 3%. However in doing so I will nerf my torpedo reload time by 15%.

As much as I can think on this, I really can't see any benefit at all in mounting this upgrade. On the rare instances that I've been spotted first by another DD, I've almost immediately afterward spotted it.

Is anyone going to mount this? If so, could you post as to how it's working for you? I'm tempted to sell it for the 2.5 million credits. The doubloons to demount it after trying it out may be worth more to me than the upgrade is. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
6,439 posts
2,405 battles

If Gearing were a trap door spider, it might make sense.  Or if every shot were a guaranteed hit, it might make sense.

Otherwise, I don't see it.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,844 posts
11,546 battles

For randoms... probably not gonna use it. But for CBs where concealment is king it would make Gearing a better pick.

• Cool 1

[NNC]
[NNC]
Beta Testers
398 posts
5,675 battles
6 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Is anyone going to mount this? If so, could you post as to how it's working for you? I'm tempted to sell it for the 2.5 million credits. The doubloons to demount it after trying it out may be worth more to me than the upgrade is. 

I got it the other day but I've only played one match with it so far so I cannot comment too much on it. 

I think that it depends on how you play your Gearing. I play mine as a torpedo boat primarily so I have maximised the torpedo reload speed to as low a level as I can so the upgrade's penalty to torpedo reload is only 4 or 5.2 seconds depending if you use the Mk16 mod 1 or Mk17 torpedoes. The penalty to the gun ROF is more problematic. I've taken BFT to mitigate that penalty from 3.45 seconds to 3.1, however this means I do not have the points now to take Radio Location. 

One anecdote from that one match with it though I'd like to share. On the flank I was on was an enemy shimakaze that had try to run me down, possibly with the intention of spotting me for his team. Of course, he didn't have his concealment buffer like he assumed he would and I was able to kill him and smoke up before I got focused on by the enemy team.

However, I can still see the Yueyang being a problem, even if you can outspot it and fire off the first salvo; it will still be a smaller target and have a slightly better ROF than you.

I'll probably post a thread in the USN DD section once I've had more games in it and made some more observations. 

[PSP]
Members
6,262 posts
8,901 battles

In the match just now, I got into a gunfight with a full-health Shimi and another half-health Gearing. I was able to take out both of them. If I had had a 15% reload nerf I would have not been able to do this.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,809 posts
10,327 battles

How the devil are people doing this so fast?!

I've tried to grind for one pretty hard, but... damn. Of course as soon as I got to 'win 15 battles' my WR dropped from 60% to 25% for 12 games but...

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,966 battles
10 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

For randoms... probably not gonna use it. But for CBs where concealment is king it would make Gearing a better pick.

Agreed. Where spotting for the CA's while being hidden, it would be an advantage.

You have to look at the setting in which the legendary mod is useful. Take the DM legendary mod. If you stack it with the propulsion mod 1, the DM can go 0-27 knots in 3 seconds at the cost of just keeping to stock range and reload speed. It's good for randoms, specially if you go for the island waifu mode, but I don't think it's worth giving up 2 km range in clan battles.

[NNC]
[NNC]
Beta Testers
398 posts
5,675 battles
Just now, mofton said:

How the devil are people doing this so fast?!

I've tried to grind for one pretty hard, but... damn. Of course as soon as I got to 'win 15 battles' my WR dropped from 60% to 25% for 12 games but...

Wins in co-op count as well.

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,966 battles
Just now, Noble_Taipan said:

Wins in co-op count as well.

This. Since it's easier to fight bots and the game is over in 10 minutes, you save time. I already have the DM and Zao legendaries. I'm going to grind the Yamato after the the Mino.

[PSP]
Members
6,262 posts
8,901 battles

I watched the video. It seems that you get 5.6 km vs 5.9 km concealment for a 15% nerf in DPM. He doesn't recommend it for Random battles. I'm going to keep it just in case they change it for the better.

Members
707 posts

you could argue an "increased concealment of 5%, in exchange for a 15% nerf in main battery firing rate" is a big stealth boost in how small an area you can fire your guns in without being spotted by a larger number of opposing ships.

[TDD]
Members
905 posts
7,942 battles

none of the legendaries seem all that legendary to me but that just opinion from reading about them

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,966 battles
10 minutes ago, nina_blain_73 said:

none of the legendaries seem all that legendary to me but that just opinion from reading about them

It's pretty much depends on on what game mode it has an impact on.

Take the Yamato legendary mod. You lose 0.5 degrees/sec traverse in return for 6 % buff to the reload speed. The buff in the next patch is going to buff it an extra 0.5 degrees/sec. So you gain 6% buff to the reload speed at the end. Which makes it useful in all cases.

Edit: add also 6% buff to dispersion. considering the sigma on the Yamto is 2.05 already.

Edited by Bill_Halsey
corrected values
  • Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,966 battles
6 minutes ago, Toxic_Potato said:

Hindenburg, Yamato, Republic ... Flamu has video out on final product. 

Top3 ^^^^

Gearing is a nerf. Zao iffy

If you're using the Zao as a long range sniper, useful to dodge shells.

[O7]
Beta Testers, Supertester
6,398 posts
7,363 battles

Gratz!

[TNG]
Members
821 posts
6,189 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

I just got my Legendary Upgrade for the Gearing, It seems less than "Legendary" and more like a nerf. Over the existing module, all it does is increase concealment 5%, in exchange for a 15% nerf in main battery firing rate and a 5% nerf in torpedo reload time.

Is this thing worth mounting? Well, I suppose it will let the Gearing spot a Shimi or another highly-concealed DD at the same time as it is spotted but it will take 15% more time to kill it and you potentially will receive 15% more damage.

I guess that if I go with Main Battery Modification 3, this nerf will go down to only 3%. However in doing so I will nerf my torpedo reload time by 15%.

As much as I can think on this, I really can't see any benefit at all in mounting this upgrade. On the rare instances that I've been spotted first by another DD, I've almost immediately afterward spotted it.

Flamu stated it's garbage. if i remember correctly, he said he iddnt even have to try it to know it's garbage. lol

• Bad 1

[PSP]
Members
6,262 posts
8,901 battles
16 minutes ago, nina_blain_73 said:

It's sort of like the "special" modules themselves; few were really worthwhile. I can see the benefit of a module if it offers a different play style. However, it really doesn't make sense to simply nerf something without really benefiting the ship in return. I mean, a 5% buff to concealment -- this might as well be nothing. I do quite well in my Gearing when running a new commander with a 6.5 km concealment. Like I said in other posts, with the new radar meta your concealment is essentially 10 km anyway for much of a match. In the last match I played, I was detected 90% of the time by ships 9-10 km or away.

• Cool 1

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,045 posts
10,456 battles

The Legendary modules were sold as a way to use a different play style for your tier 10's.  Some of them are actually good for any play style, but some of them are very niche - these upgrades aren't guaranteed to be good for your ship depending on your play style - just an option for a different way.

[ENDVR]
Members
410 posts
5,326 battles

Demounted Republique’s :/.  I’ve had good results with 20km+ shots plenty of times and the additional reload speed didnt seem to make up for the surrendering of long range artillery.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,052 posts
9,371 battles

The problem with MOST these "modules" and same as the containers, is the benefit usually is outweighed by the in ability to mount another module, or the negatives are a nerf for the most part.   Why are some like Radar very use-able but others you wouldn't mount on your bike let alone your ship.  These another in a long line of WG "good ideas" that seem to have not been tested by the community very well, if at all, before being foisted on the public.   Take note please WG.

• Cool 1

Members
303 posts
4,507 battles

At least the regular "special upgrades" are going to be removed from Supercontainers, so now you will not get any unless you specifically like it for a particular ship and buy it from the Arsenal.

Sign in to follow this