You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BlailBlerg

Does Omaha deserve a buff?

buff?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. straight up buff?

2. 2. Is Omaha only unbalanced when in T7? (Balanced in T4 5 6)

3. 3. Does Orion and Iron Duke make Omaha completely obsolete?

• y, the pros of Omaha like short range Torps don't come into play
    • maybe
    • no
  4. 4. Is Omaha fun and awesome?

33 comments in this topic

[NSF]
Beta Testers
4,998 posts
5,978 battles

Omaha could use a buff, but then again so could all of the tier V cruisers.

Beta Testers
397 posts
3,655 battles

The only buff it really needs is a giant floating neon sign that is always above it that has "Floating Citadel!" in brightly lit colours with a giant arrow pointing down to the ship.

Seriously though, the Omaha/Mablehead seem balanced for their tier and are kind of run of the mill for tier 5 really, but that's sort of the way tier 5 is in general, nothing special.

[CAPGO]
Members
529 posts
3,321 battles

There are ships that needs buff more than Omaha..

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
2 minutes ago, DoIphin_Princess said:

image.thumb.png.c47b9760070eeb01f7baa502848de0ac.png

Totally needs a buff :cap_hmm:

^^^ THIS ^^^  Maybe instead of wanting a buff learn how to play Omaha properly

• Bad 2

[ARMDA]
Members
8,993 posts
3,592 battles

Omaha for starters is very hard to learn. Once you learned the game and get back to her, she rewards with lots of fires and dakka. Use B hull.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,480 posts
2,430 battles

BACON!

BACON !

Omaha is hard to drive well, but once you get the style down, she can make a very good account of herself. 

A small buff would go well, but there's not really a crying need.

• Cool 1

[LUCK]
Members
1,315 posts
19,685 battles
14 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

BACON!

BACON !

Omaha is hard to drive well, but once you get the style down, she can make a very good account of herself. 

A small buff would go well, but there's not really a crying need.

19 minutes ago, Unabletony said:

Omaha for starters is very hard to learn. Once you learned the game and get back to her, she rewards with lots of fires and dakka. Use B hull.

22 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

^^^ THIS ^^^  Maybe instead of wanting a buff learn how to play Omaha properly

I advocated for a "buff" as well a while back when the split was announced however my recollection was of Omaha 2+ yrs ago. I was informed it had been buffed in the interim period and I hadn't noticed.

That said, I played about a dozen games for Dallas XP in it (cuz I didn't get it from the split) and it's a freaking blast to play now. No idea how you would buff it that would make any sense.

[SF-3]
Members
1,537 posts
8,169 battles

Meh, boat felt like a steaming pile of garbage to me, but it's the last cruiser line I played. It just feels really outdated compared to other lines. Also, would have like to see the USN CL line retain the torps.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,480 posts
2,430 battles
5 minutes ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

That said, I played about a dozen games for Dallas XP in it (cuz I didn't get it from the split) and it's a freaking blast to play now.

I was surprised coming back to her for the Dallas grind.  I had sold her after getting Cleveland. (R.I.P.)  In the meantime I'd learned USN cruisers and found her more cruiser-like and powerful than I'd remembered.  I'm pretty sure there was no buff in the intervening 7 months.  So the change must have been me.

Edited by iDuckman

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,687 posts
9,098 battles

Most of the older tier 5's have been badly power creeped. Exactly what the buff should be and how much is a good question.

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,639 battles

B hull or C hull? 

I think B hull has more guns, but C hull has 15.5 range, which helps me dodge BB shots. Whereas, Omaha has a poor time trying to lob over the rocks, so the island hug gameplay isn't really as viable. (You have to be much farther from a rock, and that increases chances of being spotting by LOS) 

Members
712 posts
9,924 battles

Wrote all about that.  Still waiting for an updated official response from the devs:

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,178 posts
14,610 battles

Omaha is fine for her tier, but MM stuffs her into really bad bottom tier matches.  But Omaha is actually very typical in terms of Tier V Cruiser performance.

Mediocre.

I also cannot endorse a buff to Omaha, the typical Tier V Cruiser, when V Emerald is doing worse.  Emerald needs resuscitation ASAP.

[NET]
Beta Testers
457 posts
3,833 battles

only buff  i can see that she needs is in her concealment.  she is a rather weak and boring ship to play. the dallas is much nicer ship.

[VVV]
Members
359 posts
2,271 battles

Once upon a time, when I was even more of a noob and a potato than I am now, I started on the US cruiser line as my first line I was going to pursue. I loved the St Louis. Then I got to Phoenix and Omaha. I did horrible in the Phoenix, I didn't like it at all. Then I got slowly better, then moved on to the Omaha and actually liked it. I soon realized that it is a playstyle you really have to learn (Now I know the playstyle isn't that unique, its just the light cruiser playstyle).

My point is that even as a new player, the Omaha made me learn and rewarded me for that learning. It could maybe use a small buff just to keep it competitive against battleships (I propose a small HE damage buff), but no major buffs are needed I think. Phoenix and Omaha (And many tier 4 and 5 cruisers) are supposed to be this new playstyle to teach new players part of the cruiser playstyle.

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,639 battles
12 minutes ago, motaz87 said:

only buff  i can see that she needs is in her concealment.  she is a rather weak and boring ship to play. the dallas is much nicer ship.

How is Dallas nicer? Must have EM? 

I do admit the firepower is pretty good for its tier. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,178 posts
14,610 battles

Oh, speaking of Omaha, you guys want to see Bias?

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Omaha

And compare her to same-class Murmansk, which was loaned to the Soviets for WWII.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Murmansk

Even the AP is better on Murmansk.  

evmbgB9.png

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 3

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,890 posts
8,277 battles

First of all, In a T7 match( where 50% of the ships in the match are T7) the Omaha cannot hang, but since the MM is factored for 2 tier differences, there is nothing wrong with the ship or you as a player. The question is how does she perform at T4-T6 and she is outstanding at that range. The ships wiggles well, has a reasonable reload time and can hang. The Marblehead and Murmansk are slightly better and should be as they are premium ships. So putting the ship in a T5/T6 range, she does not need a buff but perhaps a different play style for you.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,061 posts
9,401 battles

Been playing my Marblehead a bit lately just for fun, and haven't played it in like a year... results vary, but I know one thing, I am a LOT better player than I used to be and it shows.  If up tiered MH is very hard to play, your gun range is suspect, and armor horrid, but you can put out a lot of firepower, and that IS the strength of this class, you can get 4-5 guns in any aspect and once you get to twisting and turning, you can still rack up some nice damage, no waiting for turrets etc.

THE big thing that needs a buff for this class in the concealment, thats where the power creep is, this is small light CA and should have a smaller footprint than it does.  Oh if Murmansk gets a spotter plane so should these CAs, its a small but buff, and brings consistency.  Hate having a plane on deck and can't launch it  :(

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,061 posts
9,401 battles
17 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Oh, speaking of Omaha, you guys want to see Bias?

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Omaha

And compare her to same-class Murmansk, which was loaned to the Soviets for WWII.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Murmansk

Even the AP is better on Murmansk.  

evmbgB9.png

AND of course this.....  I am a huge advocate for consistency... they fixed the Tirps secondaries, fix these guns one way or the other.

• Cool 1

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,038 posts
3,571 battles

All tier 5s have problems, save for a few ships. Omaha fits right in.

So I have just one advice for Omaha captains that feel Omaha is suffering: Rub some bacon on it.