Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BlailBlerg

How much does the 7.7 changes change Akizuki? How much better are the guns?

16 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

432
[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,635 battles

Should IFHE be kept? Does that mean with IFHE most part of most ships are now vulnerable? (especially BB deck armor?) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,615
[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,779 posts
6,788 battles
2 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

Should IFHE be kept? Does that mean with IFHE most part of most ships are now vulnerable? (especially BB deck armor?) 

If I understand correctly, now IFHE allows you to cross 32mm threshold, so very yes.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
724
[HYDRO]
Members
1,567 posts
3,751 battles

You can overmatch the bow and stern of any ship you encounter with IFHE. That alone should tell you whether IFHE should be kept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
432
[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,635 battles

Actually wait, doesn't flamu say you have to have above 32mm to pen 32mm? 

 

Also, what do we think about the changes to the USN 5"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,793
[SALVO]
Members
17,053 posts
17,692 battles

I'm not sure what to think of the changes to the Akizuki.  Sure, the gun buffs are really nice.  But at the cost of having worse concealment and an even worse rudder shift?  The damned thing is already a slow, friggin' whale.  Now, it's going to be a slow even less maneuverable whale.  I'm not particularly impressed at this point, because IMO the Akizuki and perhaps the upcoming tier 9 and 10's in her line could stand to have more speed and maneuverability. 

Slow, unmaneuverable gunboat DDs don't seem all that good to me, no matter how good their guns are.  If they were torp boats, they might get away with slow and unmaneuverable because they wouldn't be voiding their concealment when they made their primary (torpedo) attacks.  But with a gunboat, it seems to me that slow and unmaneuverable is a bad mix when you're going to be pew-pewing.  (And, of course, it's even worse in this current radar heavy environment.)  

It's probably too much to hope for, but it would be nice if the Akizuki and her higher tier cousins all got serious buffs to their speed and maneuverability, with perhaps the tier 10 being based on the Shimmy hull and engines.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,821 posts
5,596 battles
6 hours ago, Crucis said:

I'm not sure what to think of the changes to the Akizuki.  Sure, the gun buffs are really nice.  But at the cost of having worse concealment and an even worse rudder shift?  The damned thing is already a slow, friggin' whale.  Now, it's going to be a slow even less maneuverable whale.  I'm not particularly impressed at this point, because IMO the Akizuki and perhaps the upcoming tier 9 and 10's in her line could stand to have more speed and maneuverability. 

Slow, unmaneuverable gunboat DDs don't seem all that good to me, no matter how good their guns are.  If they were torp boats, they might get away with slow and unmaneuverable because they wouldn't be voiding their concealment when they made their primary (torpedo) attacks.  But with a gunboat, it seems to me that slow and unmaneuverable is a bad mix when you're going to be pew-pewing.  (And, of course, it's even worse in this current radar heavy environment.)  

It's probably too much to hope for, but it would be nice if the Akizuki and her higher tier cousins all got serious buffs to their speed and maneuverability, with perhaps the tier 10 being based on the Shimmy hull and engines.

Akizuki-class historically only ever did 33kts. Speed is one of those things in game that WG likes to keep (for the most part) historical. The point of the Super-Akizuki's or Akizuki-kai's (project V7) was to take the Akizuki-class hull and design and bring the speed up to normal destroyer speeds. The designed speed for Project V7 destroyers was 36.7kts. WG also gave Kitakaze a sextuple torpedo launcher. To my knowledge, something like that was never ever considered for the project V7 destroyers. Which may be why WG initially only had Kitakaze at 33kts like Akizuki. The extra weight of the two tubes and torpedoes might have completely negated the improved powerplant the Super-Akizuki's were to carry.

Kitakaze was buffed to 36kts recently, so she does have the correct speed. I believe she also retains the current Akizuki's maneuverability (turn radius and rudder shift). Whether or not that's a blatant move to make the T9 and thus the T10 more appealing than Akizuki and push players up the line, is not for me to say.

 

Edit: Also, wanted to add since I only just now saw it at the end of the quoted post. The Akizuki-kai's were supposed to be based on Shimakaze's hull and powerplant. The Akizuki-kai design, which as I mentioned above is project V7, started out as project V6(this is what WG quoted as the basis for Kitakaze at the CC summit months ago). Project V6 was a Super-Shimakaze proposal, which was subsequently cancelled and developed into project V7. There isn't a whole lot of info there, and I believe I read somewhere else that bit about the Super-Akizuki's really being based off Shimakaze's hull and powerplant. It was probably somewhere here on these forums to be honest.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,793
[SALVO]
Members
17,053 posts
17,692 battles
2 hours ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Akizuki-class historically only ever did 33kts. Speed is one of those things in game that WG likes to keep (for the most part) historical. The point of the Super-Akizuki's or Akizuki-kai's (project V7) was to take the Akizuki-class hull and design and bring the speed up to normal destroyer speeds. The designed speed for Project V7 destroyers was 36.7kts. WG also gave Kitakaze a sextuple torpedo launcher. To my knowledge, something like that was never ever considered for the project V7 destroyers. Which may be why WG initially only had Kitakaze at 33kts like Akizuki. The extra weight of the two tubes and torpedoes might have completely negated the improved powerplant the Super-Akizuki's were to carry.

Kitakaze was buffed to 36kts recently, so she does have the correct speed. I believe she also retains the current Akizuki's maneuverability (turn radius and rudder shift). Whether or not that's a blatant move to make the T9 and thus the T10 more appealing than Akizuki and push players up the line, is not for me to say.

Ghost, I have no doubt that what you're saying is true.  That said, I just don't see the Akizuki as a good gunboat DD in random battles because its low speed and lack of agility is too great a hindrance.  Last season of ranked, I played my Akizuki a lot, and in that environment, the Aki was very powerful, due to the smaller teams (meaning more space to work) and constant same tier MM.  I swear that there are cruisers that feel faster and more agile than the Aki.  Well, of course, there are some cruisers that are faster.  But the Aki even feels slow.  Sure, if you can find a way to end up in 1v1 DD on DD gunfights without any interference from enemy heavies, even against higher tier DDs, the Aki can probably hold her own.  But that rarely seems to happen.  

Honestly, I dread playing my Aki these days.  And I'm not seeing these changes to the Aki as making her any better.  Oh sure, her guns are improved, but it doesn't address her core weaknesses, i.e. lack of speed and agility.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,821 posts
5,596 battles
59 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Ghost, I have no doubt that what you're saying is true.  That said, I just don't see the Akizuki as a good gunboat DD in random battles because its low speed and lack of agility is too great a hindrance.  Last season of ranked, I played my Akizuki a lot, and in that environment, the Aki was very powerful, due to the smaller teams (meaning more space to work) and constant same tier MM.  I swear that there are cruisers that feel faster and more agile than the Aki.  Well, of course, there are some cruisers that are faster.  But the Aki even feels slow.  Sure, if you can find a way to end up in 1v1 DD on DD gunfights without any interference from enemy heavies, even against higher tier DDs, the Aki can probably hold her own.  But that rarely seems to happen.  

Honestly, I dread playing my Aki these days.  And I'm not seeing these changes to the Aki as making her any better.  Oh sure, her guns are improved, but it doesn't address her core weaknesses, i.e. lack of speed and agility.

Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with you, at least not the whole post. I probably should have just quoted the last sentence. I was merely stating why Aki's slow and pointing out that it's extremely unlikely that Aki will get a speed buff, plus pointing out that Kitakaze was 1)supposed to be faster by design and 2) was buffed in ST recently to be faster. Kitakaze is likely to be the true gem of the alternate IJN DD branch. Combining Akizuki's firepower, plus T9 upgrades, plus 2 extra torp tubes, and most importantly, good speed. I'm certainly looking forward to unlocking Kitakaze and playing her.

Aki's slow speed amplifies her cumbersome nature, and makes it feel worse. Kitakaze will hopefully feel more agile simply because she can hit higher speeds than Akizuki(plus retaining the current Akizuki's maneuverability).

 

Personally, I don't agree with this drastic of a gun buff, nor the nerf to concealment and maneuverability. It should have been one or the other, not both. Preferably concealment (as much as I bemoan typing that out myself for an IJN DD), as her slow speed and already cumbersome nature really don't need to become worse. You're absolutely right that Aki is a tough boat to get working outside of ranked battles. She just has too much competition that beats her in lots of areas that reallly matter, and relies on good situational and map awareness and a team to survive in T8 MM. And the gun buff should have been 22mm or so, that way IFHE wouldn't allow the 100mm guns to pen 32mm plating. As it stands, nobody, aside from someone like me, is going to respec from IFHE and use the points on other captain skills.

Edited by GhostSwordsman
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
180 posts
7,777 battles
7 hours ago, teleStraightShooter said:

USN  5" will now have fewer overpens on DDs, so my ATL will switch to AP for DDs

Apparently, only Gearing and Yue Yang are getting the buff, since their 5"/38 Mk 12s are of a slighly later mod. (Not that WG has ever cared about keeping performance between the other iterations of the Mk. 12 equal.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8
[DAY]
Members
22 posts
6,001 battles

after patch, IJN 100mm HE shell has better pen depth than all other nation 127-130, yes with IFHE it's a monster.

Akizuki gets the gun buff and hull nerf at the same time, unlike our mighty weeb ship Harekaze.

huehuehue...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
USN 5'' buff?
RIP Gearing 21mm plate.

Edited by NoobDD
edited

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33
[STW-M]
Beta Testers
199 posts
7,176 battles

it makes the akizuki worse. I get less damage a match now and i died far more then i used to thanks to the nerfs. People keep clamering on about oh now you can pen 32mm of armor but now the ship  loose a lot in survivability. once your detected your dead now no if or buts. Before i could wiggy and dodge shells now every match i die in the first 5 minutes because i cant dodge shells anymore. So i rather they revert the pen back to 1/6 and give me back my rudder shift and concelment at least then i was able to get good games even in the crapstatic mm where im always uptiered to tier x.  Let put it this way before this nerf i could do easy  50 to 60k damage since the nerf i averge 5k to 10k 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
286
[PLPT]
Members
632 posts
6,810 battles

So the Harekaze Hull #2 gets this gun buff without any compensating nerfs?  Time to play more Harekaze which was already one of my favorites...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×