Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BoJohno

Get gud

20 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
112 posts
887 battles

As a new player I find myself in the unfortunate position where I don't find co-op improves my playing, and random feels like I'm going to war in a paper canoe. I have a 93% win rate and approx 75% survivability in co-op. 42% WR and a whopping 11% survivability in random. For the sake of my fragile ego I'll say some of the beatdowns are from seal clubbing DD players who are tired of the higher tier radar meta, but obviously that can't be the whole problem. So my question is where's a guy to go for improvement? I've asked for the advice, watched the videos, but you can't become better tactically just by watching and I generally don't last long enough to try to implement and perfect the advice I've been given.  Suggestions?

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
469 posts
12,419 battles

Only way to improve at one game mode is to play that game mode. It's a tough learning curve.

Best way to improve is look at the mini map often and choose moves that will keep you alive and let you put shots on target.

Survival is the key early even if you do poo-poo damage.

The longer you stay in a game the more decisions you will make and you have a better chance to learn what worked, what didn't, and why.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,377
[RLGN]
Members
8,241 posts
17,239 battles
18 minutes ago, Prothall said:

Survival is the key early even if you do poo-poo damage.

The longer you stay in a game the more decisions you will make and you have a better chance to learn what worked, what didn't, and why.

Second this x10.

Not being able to stay alive to learn anything is basically why I quit Tanks.

Ships can be tough, but the pace is slower, making it easier to survive and learn.

Pull back for a bit, don’t be seen first. Play support for a while and work on your survival. When that gets easier, you can start being more aggressive again.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
6,903 posts
7,508 battles

It takes time. You have to be willing to endure the beatdowns. Watch what other players do, and don't be overly aggressive until you have more experience.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
236
[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
719 posts
11,923 battles

While it likely does not work for everyone, I believe playing in divisions with friends and/or clan mates using voice comms can be very helpful. You can solicit advice during the game, or just ask a more experienced player to help you make tactical decisions while the game is progressing. Also, reviewing your game recordings, or asking a more experienced player to review them, can help you to identify issues with weapon use, positioning, target choice, map (and mini-map) awareness, etc., all of which can really help improve your ability to contribute toward a win.

I believe the fact that you are interested in getting better sets you miles ahead of many newer players. Best of luck and may you continue to enjoy the game for a long time.

Respects,

Am

Edited by Amracil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,848
[NGA]
Alpha Tester
9,651 posts
3,924 battles

You can sail a lot longer in a straight line in co-op with no consequences.

That might be a good starting point for randoms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,377
[HINON]
Members
9,013 posts

You could submit a replay to @Lord_Zath who then reviews it and you can watch his video of your replay and get specific advice. This is invaluable when trying to figure out your weaknesses and strengths.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
82
[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
275 posts
4,357 battles

I see you are at 200 battles. I found this game to be brutal around tier 5.  (I was around 200-500 battles). The forums are full of strategies such as angling and when to use AP vs HE. However, not many talk about administrative "role playing style" aspects  of the game that are also important. if you ignore the "game" like portions you will be limiting your in game capabilities no matter how "gud" you get.

For example: The basics.

1) understanding how to spend captain points and how to maximize the strengths of the  ship he assigned to.

2) the importance of always using camouflage and using flags to give you a small but important edge in battle which can directly improve your chance of survival. 

3) mounting premium upgrades as you progress in tiers.   

And then there are the sneaky bits about the game that you need to be aware of and earn them when available, such as unique premium captains with special abilities and premium ships with limited availability.  or simply completing the collection you may not have know you were collecting. 

My recommendation as you round out your first 300 battles is direct.  Complete the science of victory campaign and learn to use the rewards the campaign provides effectively. that will set you in a good direction.  

 

Edited by skillztowin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,615
[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,779 posts
6,788 battles
1 hour ago, Dolphin48 said:

I've asked for the advice, watched the videos, but you can't become better tactically just by watching and I generally don't last long enough to try to implement and perfect the advice I've been given.  Suggestions?

If you've already watched videos and read tutorials, then yeah, what others have said -- just play. Self-analysis might help also. Re-watch some of your replays, and try to be impartial observer. Were you making the right strategic and tactical moves? Is your aim persistently off in a way that can be corrected? And so on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
628
[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,442 posts
11,703 battles

If you die, switch to a player playing the same ship or ship type and watch how he plays.

You can learn a lot from observing how they play.

Like wow, this guy is really good, or you can see the mistakes they made and learn not to do that. 

Division up with another player willing to teach you.

Our clan just accepted a new player on tier 3 US BB....

The fun of playing lower tier while teaching is a great stress reliever from high tier.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
297
[CK5]
Members
802 posts
6,530 battles

Your stats show 60 Random battles with a 12% survival rate and I see you are already playing Tier 4 ships.  My advice is not to go beyond T4 for the next several hundred matches and work on staying alive until the end of a match.  After only 60 matches, most players still don't even know how to aim properly when targets are angling toward you or away from you or how to properly set up torpedo runs.  

Play a LOT of matches in lower tiers and just try to learn the basics.   Learn how to keep one eye on the mini-map and work on understanding how to play map objectives.  Learn how to WASD, how to angle and how to anticipate torpedo attacks from Red players.  All of those skills can't be learned in 60 matches.  Most of all, be patient with yourself. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
112 posts
887 battles

Thanks for the advice folks. Lots of good stuff for me to try. I am going to start recording I think. It's been suggested to me a couple times before so I think it's time I act on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
291
[-K-]
Members
1,082 posts
7,296 battles
18 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

You could submit a replay to @Lord_Zath who then reviews it and you can watch his video of your replay and get specific advice. This is invaluable when trying to figure out your weaknesses and strengths.

Was going to suggest this.  Also, Zath has literally hundreds of existing replays on his channel so you're sure to find a match in a similar ship as the one you're commonly using.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,577
[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
4,723 posts
15,363 battles

o/ yep feel free to look through my channel there's TONS of replays there...  just released #260 today!

https://www.youtube.com/c/lord_zath

I have playlists for each class of ship...  so if there's something specific you're struggling in, feel free to look through it.  

Definitely send me a replay or two if you'd like.  You'll need to enable replays https://na.wargaming.net/support/kb/articles/517

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
248 posts
10,394 battles

My suggestion is to play a DD and NOT fire your guns. Torp reload is slow enough that you can spend time paying attention to someone other than a single enemy ship.

and learn to:

  1. read the minimap, 
  2. figure out where players are going
  3. figure out where you should be or NOT be.

Do not be afraid to be a "coward". Hang back snipe from the rear while you learn the maps and figure out the angles.

Use the training room with a bot ship that does not fire or move to figure out how to attack the enemy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
9 posts
1,844 battles

I guess im almost 400 battles, don't  know how my stats compare to where I "should be" but I feel like im half blind, cant hear, and and dont read so good when it comes to game play.    Reading through some of the tips and advice makes sense and Im gonna try to put some of it to work.  Didn't want to be a "lurker" so wanted to say thanks.  

Edited by acesover01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29
[TCANS]
Beta Testers
127 posts
870 battles
On 7/24/2018 at 12:37 PM, Prothall said:

Only way to improve at one game mode is to play that game mode. It's a tough learning curve.

Best way to improve is look at the mini map often and choose moves that will keep you alive and let you put shots on target.

Survival is the key early even if you do poo-poo damage.

The longer you stay in a game the more decisions you will make and you have a better chance to learn what worked, what didn't, and why.

This is excellent advice!  

I have found watching replays to be the most help outside of learning while doing in game.  The suggestion to watch other ships after you die is also a good one. 

Ultimately, the learning curve is the curve. There’s no way to flatten it and just jump to knowledge. Knowledge is won, not given. I’m doing okay in WoWs for the small number of battles I have, but that’s mostly because of about 15k battles in WoT.

Some of the most difficult parts of the curve have little to do with mechanics like angling and aim. You need to build an overall sense of the flow of battles and the range of faces they present or paths they take.  Most of success comes from responding to those dynamics appropriately at the appropriate times. I don’t believe there’s any way to develop that awareness outside of direct experience. Some people probably have more of an innate sense for that than others. I don’t. So building that has taken concentrated attention on my part.

Every battle is a chess match, with an early, middle, and late game. Work on making it to the late game and learn from every battle. Work on not dying the same way for the same mistakes. Each new way you die can teach you something. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54
[JFSOC]
Members
425 posts
7,298 battles

All this advice is good advice. Probably the best is to not exit to port when you die, but to watch other players in similar ships. The only thing I would expand on is the suggestion to play with clanmates. There are Discord servers that are not clan specific where players can always find other players for division play. If your clan is not very active, or if you are playing at a time when there aren't clanmates on to play with, these Discord servers can be a real help. Silent Centurions have a nice server set up for several games and a channel just for WG games. https://discord.gg/ADKXde  (This invite expires in 24 hours)

Playing Operation mode is a great way to learn as well, but not an option until T6 and up. Also, play the Public Test when it opens up again. Before each update, WG opens the test server to test the update. They run a part 1 and part 2 over 2 weekends with rewards that transfer over to the live server. While this isn't a big help to improve your play other than simply getting more experience, it is a great and simple way to check out the higher tier ships you plan to work toward in the live server. Play the ship without all that pesky grinding.

Well I hope you are taking the advice given by all these fine folks and, more importantly, that it helps you improve your game.

Good luck and happy hunting.

 

JFSOC.davo916.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
474
[LUCK]
Members
1,295 posts
19,526 battles
On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:26 PM, Dolphin48 said:

As a new player I find myself in the unfortunate position where I don't find co-op improves my playing, and random feels like I'm going to war in a paper canoe. I have a 93% win rate and approx 75% survivability in co-op. 42% WR and a whopping 11% survivability in random. For the sake of my fragile ego I'll say some of the beatdowns are from seal clubbing DD players who are tired of the higher tier radar meta, but obviously that can't be the whole problem. So my question is where's a guy to go for improvement? I've asked for the advice, watched the videos, but you can't become better tactically just by watching and I generally don't last long enough to try to implement and perfect the advice I've been given.  Suggestions?

 

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:02 PM, PrairiePlayer said:

Your stats show 60 Random battles with a 12% survival rate and I see you are already playing Tier 4 ships.  My advice is not to go beyond T4 for the next several hundred matches and work on staying alive until the end of a match.  After only 60 matches, most players still don't even know how to aim properly when targets are angling toward you or away from you or how to properly set up torpedo runs.  

Play a LOT of matches in lower tiers and just try to learn the basics.   Learn how to keep one eye on the mini-map and work on understanding how to play map objectives.  Learn how to WASD, how to angle and how to anticipate torpedo attacks from Red players.  All of those skills can't be learned in 60 matches.  Most of all, be patient with yourself. 

T4,T6 and T8, in my opinion, are tiers where there is a marked shift in play and like PrairiePlayer said, work those tiers extensively before advancing. T6 because you start seeing T7 & 8s and T8 because you start seeing T10s and have uniqueness in playstyle generally.

I made the mistake of simply rushing up the lines which is not good and frustrating. If you are in this for the long haul, take your time with each tier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×