You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Eugenie_101

Jump to Khaba or keep my Tashkent?

18 comments in this topic

[DANKY]
Members
498 posts
1,618 battles

Either I’m taking the crazy pills or I’m not taking enough, because I FINALLY have a mostly upgraded Khaba in port and I’m not sure I want to move my gunship captain from the Tashkent. My only other Russian Captain with any skill is a stealther in the Ognevoi, so I’d have to mothball Tash for a while, and I’m not sure I want to so that. 

Someone help me out here. Tashkent has been very good to me - once I figured out her style my win rate has been quite good, and when I don’t win she often leads the losing team. More to the point she’s so much fun!  Khaba sounds more like cruiser play and less of the HAHAHA YOU CAN’T HIT TASH gunboat style. 

If you made the jump, let me know what you think and how you changed your style to adapt. Thanks!

Edited by Eugenie_101

[TARFU]
Members
907 posts
5,925 battles

Tashkent is getting Khaba's guns, so you might want to keep her. But, i thought Khaba was the king of "kite&spite"? I know I've had trouble hitting one before, till i learned to add 20% more tick marks to the lead if it's far away, heh.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
5,287 posts
9,108 battles

Honestly, the playstyle in Tash and Khab is very similar.  They are both gun focused destroyers with terrible concealment, with the main difference being that Tashkent actually has somewhat useable torps and is a bit more agile.  If you like Tashkent, you'll probably like Khabarovsk.

Personally, I liked Tashkent a bit more as there is a bit more variety in her gameplay.  Khab is a very boring ship to play to me, as its just basically all about shooting guns and much less engaging and tactile gameplay.  Khab ranks up there with Conqueror in that they are essentially mothballed in my fleet, as pretty much every other T10 is more fun to play (to me).

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,538 posts
2,134 battles

Khaba is the ultimate ha ha you can't hit me ship, and when you do it will likely bounce. The only effective counter for her is a railgun heavy cruiser, and even then the HE will be iffy. A well aimed BB salvo will definitely balance her, but good luck hitting it. A stealthy DD is a pain keeping you permanently spotted, but you're pretty much permanently spotted any way and if you catch him...

At least try it. I have limited experience playing it, but plenty playing against it. It's enough to tell me that ship is fun to play, and even a potato player can irritate the hell out of the reds. Just pick a BB to target all game and see how many times you get reported.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,448 posts
11,762 battles

My first WHITHERER was in a Trashcan.

I can play her much better than Khabba.

Lord knows I try, but the Khabba is not my ship. 

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles

I'll add this mostly to increase my post count, as when I came up the line the Tash was a T8 boat, and almost universally panned as a grind to get through to get the Udaloi and Khab (one almost never hears it referred to as the "Trashkent", or "Trash-Can" anymore - so I infer its a more capable boat, these days).

I actually liked the Tash when I played through her - though I believe I sold her when I moved on to Udaloi.

I have a 19 pointer in Khab - and I occasionally take  it out for a  spin, but honestly I find her to be sorta boring.  She really does play more like a cruiser - and while she is a very strong ship, she doesn't do traditional DD things all that well - and honestly, Henri, DM and Hindy (the only T10 cruisers in my port) do cruiser things much better than Khab.

I did, however, keep the Udaloi - and play it regularly (with a Skipper shared with Gremy and Lenin).  Looking at the stats - it appears to be similar to Tash - so I can see why the Tashkent appeals to you, as I enjoy Udaloi quite a bit.

For my money, though - Groz is the highlight of either line - far more capable of playing the traditional DD role, while adding the capability of a heal (without giving up smoke), really good AA ability, the ability to stealth torp, and AP that gives the Z52 a run for it's money in that department.

None of which answers your specific question, so I apologise for that. 

My best advice is to start that Og Skipper up the split for Groz - its a far more interesting boat to play than Khab.

• Cool 1

[DANKY]
Members
498 posts
1,618 battles
1 hour ago, ddoubletapp1 said:

My best advice is to start that Og Skipper up the split for Groz - its a far more interesting boat to play than Khab.

Thanks, I'm thinking hard about that.  Having a Tash and a Groz sounds pretty close to my happy place as far as this game goes. 

• Cool 1

[ICBM]
Members
335 posts
5,094 battles

Tash is fine with a 10 point captain. Khab needs more points to really shine. 

You will also want to take some time getting used to the poor maneuverabiltiy and short range of Khab. Tash is easy to position, khab is not. Your sweet spot of stay relevant and staying alive is rather small. Don't believe the hype. Khab is, in no way, an "I win" ship. It's not even a "you can't hit me ship." You have to work and learn the ship to become difficult to hit. 

Once you learn how to khab, she is very strong, but it was a difficult transition for me. Getting used to that short range is tough. You are losing nearly 2km of range. Get ready to not like her until you figure out how to do it right. 

when I got khab, I put my 19pt captain in her, bought the permacamo and played her a lot to get lots of elite commander xp, then just leveled my tash commander to 10. Doesn't take long with the permacamo xp bonus and, like I said, Tash is very good with just a 10 pointer. (of course with a 19 pointer, she would be a terror, espcecially with the new gun upgrade.)

best of luck. They are both great ships. 

• Cool 1

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles
1 hour ago, Eugenie_101 said:

Thanks, I'm thinking hard about that.  Having a Tash and a Groz sounds pretty close to my happy place as far as this game goes. 

Good call - I see Tash got a pretty significant buff, this patch - might have to re-purchase it and give it a try.

[ICBM]
Members
335 posts
5,094 battles

I'm almost scared to talk about the tashkent buff. It's too good to be true. When I play that thing I always think, "This thing just needs better turret traverse." 

BINGO!!! 

With khab turrents, the world will burn. She will be very stronk. 

• Cool 1

Members
38 posts
2,705 battles

If they buffed the Tash with Khab turrets does this mean the Khab will also need a buff to entice players to get it?

EDIT: I mean come on Khaba torps are so horrible vs Tash even their reload times are leagues apart

Edited by Silisquish

[FLS]
Alpha Tester
568 posts
2,540 battles
On 7/24/2018 at 10:57 AM, ddoubletapp1 said:

I'll add this mostly to increase my post count, as when I came up the line the Tash was a T8 boat, and almost universally panned as a grind to get through to get the Udaloi and Khab (one almost never hears it referred to as the "Trashkent", or "Trash-Can" anymore - so I infer its a more capable boat, these days).

Eeeeh, I still hear it referred to as the Trashkent or Trashcan. The difference is that now it's actually good, so the term is one of affection.

--Helms

• Cool 1

Members
326 posts
328 battles

How do the "new Khaba" turrets behave?

Is the external look of the ships changed when mounting them?

[ICBM]
Members
335 posts
5,094 battles
On 7/25/2018 at 1:34 PM, Silisquish said:

If they buffed the Tash with Khab turrets does this mean the Khab will also need a buff to entice players to get it?

EDIT: I mean come on Khaba torps are so horrible vs Tash even their reload times are leagues apart

If they buff the khab there will be riots. Absolute riots. I think the range should be buffed after the huge rudder nerf, but good luck getting that through. 

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,722 battles
29 minutes ago, mrieder79 said:

If they buff the khab there will be riots. Absolute riots. I think the range should be buffed after the huge rudder nerf, but good luck getting that through. 

They could restore the range back to 12+ km for 14+ km range they nerfed previously, and change the 6 km torps to 8 km torps or add 8 km torps as an upgrade for consistency with other high tier Russian DDs in the line. (Kiev, Tashkent)

• Cool 1

[ICBM]
Members
335 posts
5,094 battles

Agree. With the rudder shift nerf, it is still pretty easy to hit at 14 or so km. Happens to me all the time.  The whole point of the rudder shift was to force it into being a more long-range ship. They should give it that range. And not just with an upgrade that makes it handle like a battleship.

Edited by mrieder79

Members
38 posts
2,705 battles
6 hours ago, Patosentado said:

How do the "new Khaba" turrets behave?

Is the external look of the ships changed when mounting them?

I sold the stock turrets already so I can't really tell you if they look different. But the Khaba turrets do 100 more AP damage, and, more importantly they have a 9 second 180 degree turn time whereas the old Tashkent turrets have 18 seconds. This makes a noticeable difference when dodging/turning and the Tashkent with AFT still has 15.2km range (but 3x2 instead of 4x2 guns). Tashkent also has superior torps over Khaba even with its 8km range that make them situational I can still get torp kills from camping & pushing ships (it also helps that I can reduce concealment to 8.2km with stealth module because Tashkent doesn't need steering gears 3). Khaba torps based on their stats are only meant for self defense vs rushing DDs. Khaba only benefits from slightly more hp and that 50mm troll plating but it also only has 13.5km range with AFT, has a worse rudder even with steering gears 3, and finally bad stealth since you can't get stealth mod if you have steering gears 3 mod (Russian DDs always have the worst DD stealth but Khaba base stealth is worse than some stealth build cruisers). Khaba used to have longer range, better rudder and 10km torps.

Edited by Silisquish
  • Cool 1