You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Markk9

HMS Duke of York vs HMS Hood as a training ship

54 comments in this topic

[13CLM]
Members
218 posts
1,204 battles

Which is the easier ship to play for a newer player? I'm leveling a British BB driver, currently at 6 points. I'm at the Orion right know, I have the Warspite as my training ship, looking to expand my British BB primary line. My primary is a 14-CPT in the german cruiser line.  

[ARGSY]
Members
6,226 posts
4,207 battles

I'd leave them both alone if I were you. Warspite is the best trainer you could hope for right now, as she is very similar to the Queen Elizabeth you'll be getting to in a couple of ships. You're currently at Tier IV; playing at Tier VII with either of the ships you mention could put you in Tier IX battles, and at 514 battles' worth of experience you are likely to not do at all well there. You don't want to spend money to get crushed and disheartened. Having to face Tier VIII in Warspite from time to time is bad enough, but Tier IX would be worse.

@smf117 speaks good sense. Save up your free XP and go for Nelson.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 6

[RKLES]
Members
7,192 posts
8,940 battles

Ok despite what some people will say the Duke of York can be an amazing one ship, but you will need premium damage Control, Hydro, and Repair Party. Plus Superintendent skill these will max out your Consumables count and let you use them more often. The Hydro allows you to spot incoming torpedoes if you activate it when you Suspect Enemy Destroyers might be nearby to you. 

Hood is great ship as well, but slightly trickier to use. Personally I use Warspite, Queen Elizabeth with perma camo, Duke of York, Nelson, and HMS Hood and just cycle a Captain between them each day to collect Captain XP using the daily bonuses.

• Cool 1

[ICE9]
Members
807 posts

I can't comment on DoY as I don't own one.

For what it's worth, keep your commander in Warspite until at least 10 points before jumping into the mighty Hood.

Also, Hood's play style is very different from, say Conqueror. Hood is very tanky when handled well. She's very agile for her size, with excellent gun arcs, so she kites and bow-tanks well except when over-matched.

OTOH, Hood's AA is very short-ranged whereas DoY puts up pretty good flak.

Jingle's old review of Hood has some excellent pointers.

[SCCC]
Members
705 posts
5,503 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I'd leave them both alone if I were you. Warspite is the best trainer you could hope for right now, as she is very similar to the Queen Elizabeth you'll be getting to in a couple of ships. You're currently at Tier IV; playing at Tier VII with either of the ships you mention could put you in Tier IX battles, and at 514 battles' worth of experience you are likely to not do at all well there. You don't want to spend money to get crushed and disheartened. Having to face Tier VIII in Warspite from time to time is bad enough, but Tier IX would be worse.

This. All of this. You arent ready for tier IX.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,226 posts
4,207 battles
7 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Queen Elizabeth with perma camo

Nearly 6700 battles and you're not in KGV yet? Can't bear to leave the QE? Or does having the DOY give you a KGV-class battleship and thereby remove the urge to move up? (I have to admit, if I'd managed to complete North Cape I probably would never have ground out the British BB line.)

[SOB]
Members
254 posts
3,387 battles

I dont have DOY but I do have Hood & she is a great ship so I dont think you will be displeased. 

I would like to echo other comments about waiting to get a T7 ship. You will find yourself getting overmatched & out skilled when you land in a T9 match which will do nothing to increase your enjoyment & make you a detriment to the team.
I was in a match last night where a guy in a Scharnhorst cost us the match. Allot of salt was being shaken on him so I checked him out. Poor guy had like 300 battles under his belt. He picked a great ship but a great ship will not make up for a lack of ability. 

[RKLES]
Members
7,192 posts
8,940 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Nearly 6700 battles and you're not in KGV yet? Can't bear to leave the QE? Or does having the DOY give you a KGV-class battleship and thereby remove the urge to move up? (I have to admit, if I'd managed to complete North Cape I probably would never have ground out the British BB line.)

I am in Monarch actually, but with the winter perma camo I got last New Years, a good Captain I have that is set for QE, and the fact I love using QE, I can cycle that Captain between essentially 5 premium ships and collect the Daily bonus XP off each ship which nets me a nice pile of Elite Captain XP each day. I also enjoy mid tier battles a lot. Just because somebody still uses a ship does not mean they are stuck there and unable to move up lol.

[4HIM]
Members
1,790 posts
4,050 battles

I'd just stick with the Warspite for now.  I have it and the Hood.  I don't really have any interest in the Duck of Yuck so I have no knowledge of that one.  But grind a captain in the Warspite.  Play it in Ops like Aegis and Killer Whale when they're up.  Get at least a 10 point captain built up and it will give you a better ship overall.  I'd avoid jumping into T7 too early.  As others have said, you'll routinely be up against T9's and those can hurt you quickly.  

[RKLES]
Members
7,192 posts
8,940 battles
1 minute ago, MizzenMast said:

I dont have DOY but I do have Hood & she is a great ship so I dont think you will be displeased. 

I would like to echo other comments about waiting to get a T7 ship. You will find yourself getting overmatched & out skilled when you land in a T9 match which will do nothing to increase your enjoyment & make you a detriment to the team.
I was in a match last night where a guy in a Scharnhorst cost us the match. Allot of salt was being shaken on him so I checked him out. Poor guy had like 300 battles under his belt. He picked a great ship but a great ship will not make up for a lack of ability. 

Yeah I can agree with this since I can do well in a tier IX battle with a tier 7 ship, but my British Battleships do have a 19 point Captain and my experience as a player to help even out the odds.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,226 posts
4,207 battles
14 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Just because somebody still uses a ship does not mean they are stuck there and unable to move up lol.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply inability - more like unwillingness because you love the ship so much. I know Monarch is one of those ships a lot of people love to hate, and because the UK line is either paper or unfinished (poor Lion) above Tier VII, feel no urge to progress. Currently in the QE myself, just got her and I think I like her, but she's taking a back seat because I'm setting everything else aside to get my first 19-pointer. Edinburgh, Warspite, Nelson, Gallant. This way I play every ship type the British have and I won't get fatigued playing only one ship at Tier VIII forever. (In retrospect I should have used my Warspite boost missions to train up my 14 pointer, but I wanted to get out of Iron Duke and decided to use those missions to retrain her captain for the QE. Managed that badly. Foolish me.)

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,792 posts
10,567 battles
37 minutes ago, Markk9 said:

Which is the easier ship to play for a newer player? I'm leveling a British BB driver, currently at 6 points. I'm at the Orion right know, I have the Warspite as my training ship, looking to expand my British BB primary line. My primary is a 14-CPT in the german cruiser line.  

IMO Hood isn't a great Capt trainer for the BRN BB line because Hood plays very different than the main tech tree line. Same goes for Warspite. Those 2 ships play like traditional AP centric BB's while the tech tree BB's are mainly all HE Spammers (some say QE is an AP BB - didn't do well in that regard for me). It would be like buying Belfast to train a BRN CL Capt. There is some overlap of skills but also some differences. I don't have DOY but I 'assume" it mainly plays like a KGV. If so that would be a better Capt trainer as the build for it will mesh well with the tech tree BB's. Even Nelson (though I find it a dog of a ship) would be a better choice for a Capt trainer as it is known for using HE a lot.

When you want to buy Premiums and use them to help advance Capt's you want to get ships that play the same and use the same skills. Otherwise you are at a Capt skill disadvantage when you put the tech tree Capt built for those ships into the Premium that doesn't benefit from some of the skills. Not that it can't work out ok mind you. I am just speaking optimal scenario here.

Now with that said, Hood is a great BB and I like it way better than KGV (and I would assume DOY). I really like KGV (best tech tree BB in BRN line). Just for historical reasons and fun playing I recommend it. Just know if you want it for Capt training too it might not benefit as much from your build. It can still earn valuable Capt XP (and credits + XP/Free XP) too. Warspite is another very good BB. It just plays different than the tech tree BB's. 

Hood and Warspite are what the BRN BB line should have been. Not this HE Spamming abomination.

Good luck with it. 

:Smile_honoring:

[ARGSY]
Members
6,226 posts
4,207 battles
10 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

When you want to buy Premiums and use them to help advance Capt's you want to get ships that play the same and use the same skills.

Yes, this. At least try to optimise as many as possible. For example (for the OP's benefit), my Edinburgh captain's Last Stand skill is sort of wasted on the premium battleships he drives, but it suits the destroyer (Gallant), and the others (priority target, superintendent, concealment expert, survivability expert) are all beneficial for any ship type (superintendent for the cruiser and BB's because they have heal; the cruiser and the destroyer because they have smoke). The BB's could do with Expert Marksman, and I'll probably get that with my next skill point - the Edinburgh's turrets don't turn the fastest either and could do with a bit of permanent WD-40, and it won't hurt the Gallant to have it. (They could also do with expert loader, but that's wasted on tech-tree British cruisers and I have a dedicated battleship captain for that when I've finished the first 19 pointer.)

10 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Hood and Warspite are what the BRN BB line should have been. Not this HE Spamming abomination.

In my mind, it's balance for the RN cruisers not having HE at all. They ran with Lyddite as a thing at lower tiers and didn't want to change the flavour higher up.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[NNC]
[NNC]
Beta Testers
398 posts
5,675 battles
2 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

IMO Hood isn't a great Capt trainer for the BRN BB line because Hood plays very different than the main tech tree line. Same goes for Warspite. Those 2 ships play like traditional AP centric BB's while the tech tree BB's are mainly all HE Spammers (some say QE is an AP BB - didn't do well in that regard for me). It would be like buying Belfast to train a BRN CL Capt. There is some overlap of skills but also some differences. I don't have DOY but I 'assume" it mainly plays like a KGV. If so that would be a better Capt trainer as the build for it will mesh well with the tech tree BB's. Even Nelson (though I find it a dog of a ship) would be a better choice for a Capt trainer as it is known for using HE a lot.

I have to respectfully disagree with you. I find that even though the Hood and Warspite do play somewhat differently from the tech tree line, the skills can transfer over quite well from the tech tree line to any of the premiums really. Unless you take IFHE or DE, which I wouldn't recommend anyway. 

I would recommend in this order:

1. Nelson

2. Hood 

Don't spend money on Duke of York. I really wished we had got the first iteration of it without the repair party but with all those improvements (including 2.1 sigma). I don't think it would've been better than KGV but it sounds like it could've been pretty fun.

[RKLES]
Members
7,192 posts
8,940 battles
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply inability - more like unwillingness because you love the ship so much. I know Monarch is one of those ships a lot of people love to hate, and because the UK line is either paper or unfinished (poor Lion) above Tier VII, feel no urge to progress. Currently in the QE myself, just got her and I think I like her, but she's taking a back seat because I'm setting everything else aside to get my first 19-pointer. Edinburgh, Warspite, Nelson, Gallant. This way I play every ship type the British have and I won't get fatigued playing only one ship at Tier VIII forever. (In retrospect I should have used my Warspite boost missions to train up my 14 pointer, but I wanted to get out of Iron Duke and decided to use those missions to retrain her captain for the QE. Managed that badly. Foolish me.)

Oh I see, sorry for my misunderstanding as well. Yes the QE, Duke of York, Warspite, and Hood all can make vey good use of AP shells often to devastating effect, think Neslon can as well, but it’s HE is so good.

Rest of the British BBs seem to essentially restricted to HE shells due to poor AP performance, which is unusual for BBs. And as somebody who loves tearing through enemymy Citadels with AP shells on their BB like I do, not having good AP can be very annoying, especially when 98% of the shells I fire in BBs are AP.

And just like in World of Tanks I do like playing mid tier ships a lot since play styles and skill levels are often good, as well as the amounts of credits and XP. The fact many of mid tier vehicles have a rich history in the real world is a great added bonus as well.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,792 posts
10,567 battles
4 minutes ago, Noble_Taipan said:

I have to respectfully disagree with you. I find that even though the Hood and Warspite do play somewhat differently from the tech tree line, the skills can transfer over quite well from the tech tree line to any of the premiums really. Unless you take IFHE or DE, which I wouldn't recommend anyway. 

I would recommend in this order:

1. Nelson

2. Hood 

Don't spend money on Duke of York. I really wished we had got the first iteration of it without the repair party but with all those improvements (including 2.1 sigma). I don't think it would've been better than KGV but it sounds like it could've been pretty fun.

No problem. Everyone has the right to an opinion. I don't think Hood and Warspite benefit from the same builds the regular BRN BB's do. Just my opinion.

:Smile_honoring:

[13CLM]
Members
218 posts
1,204 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

@smf117 speaks good sense. Save up your free XP and go for Nelson.

I'm at Teir VIII with the German Cruiser line, just research the Hipper.

[4HIM]
Members
1,790 posts
4,050 battles

And IMO, for what it is the Hood is too pricey absent some type of sale or promo.  It was a decent bargain during the recent sale WG did when it was "Ship of the Day".  But at full price, IMO, it isn't worth it.  I was fortunate to pick up both Hood and Warspite during different promotions.  

And I do agree with AdmiralThunder in that Hood and Warspite are what the RN BB line should have been.  I stopped on the RN BB line at the Iron Duck because I just don't find it an enjoyable line to play.  I do enjoy the Warspite, and also the Hood.  I do okay in Warspite, but have an abysmal WR in Hood.  But I still enjoy playing it more so than the tech tree RN BB's.  The HE spam play style of the tech tree ships is quite frankly, boring.  

[HINON]
Supertester
19,189 posts
12,700 battles
2 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Ok despite what some people will say the Duke of York can be an amazing one ship, but you will need premium damage Control, Hydro, and Repair Party.

And even with all of that it'll still have 18% less DPM and one less heal than a similarly outfitted KGV. Why people keep defending the DoY is beyond me, when the tech tree ship is undeniably better.

[RKLES]
Members
7,192 posts
8,940 battles
53 minutes ago, Lert said:

And even with all of that it'll still have 18% less DPM and one less heal than a similarly outfitted KGV. Why people keep defending the DoY is beyond me, when the tech tree ship is undeniably better.

Credit earnings of DOY are better at with unreliable summer teams or weekend teams the hydro really does come in handy. While the KGV may have the 18% shorter Reload if you get Torpedo then your Reload is not exactly going to do you much good will it? 

Of course to each their own as they say, but for many the trade offs DOY makes can be worth it. And later on who is to say KGV Reload might get 20% Reload nerf and then things would be interesting lol.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,189 posts
12,700 battles
Just now, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Credit earnings of DOY are better

Credit earnings make no difference in a match and do not make a ship more or less competitive.

1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

the hydro really does come in handy

... when you're close to the action, where any benefit of hydro is countered by 18% less DPM and one less heal. Plus, the hydro is situational, you're always using your DPM.

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,734 posts
3,490 battles

Imo the Duke of York is simply a bad ship, where as the Hood is a good ship that takes some getting use to.

The choice is easy for me, go with the Hood.

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,398 battles

Duke of York is a better representation of what the line is than the Hood.  That being said, I'm going to echo everyone else that has said don't get a T7 premium when you aren't above T4 yet.  Also the Warspite and the Nelson are about as good as you can get for a premium UK BB, if you only end up with one of the T7 premium BBs then I'd make it the Nelson.