You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
YamatoA150

Summer Sale Day 9: ALABAMA

45 comments in this topic

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,491 posts
3,435 battles

Just a heads up, but Alabama is next on the Summer Day Sale. She is already live on the EU and Asia servers.

LIVE NOW.

SHIP OF THE DAY: ALABAMA

NA PRICE: $37.58 (30% OFF)

BUNDLE CONTENT

• VIII ALABAMA
  • PORT SLOT

DETAILS

Today only: Battleship Alabama with a 30% discount!

Alabama will take her rightful place in the collection of any admirer of U.S. battleships or fan of naval history. This ship boasts a combination of maneuverability that is quite good for a battleship with accurate and efficient main battery guns. Discover new tactical solutions and playstyles!

Advantages:

• Nine accurate and reliable 406 mm main guns.
  • Excellent anti-aircraft firepower.
  • Good anti-torpedo protection, a priceless advantage in any close encounters with hostile light ships.
  • Impressive maneuverability for a battleship.
  • Extra credits per battle and 50% more XP provided by the camouflage.

If you already have this ship in your Port, you will receive 8,540 Doubloons as compensation.

See the Wiki for the performance parameters of Alabama.
(Or just Read LWM's Review)

Edited by YamatoA150
  • Boring 1

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,460 posts
3,390 battles

I find it odd that she's been considered by many to be overshadowed by Massachusetts. While they're sister ships, I think WG did a good job of separating the two in play style, and thus I feel like Massachusetts doesn't really make Alabama obsolete. I do like Alabama, even though I don't play her much anymore, but that's more of an issue of time than anything. I say Alabama is still a gud bote, and worthy purchase for anyone wanting some Raining Justice and Freedom from Above (tm) in a battleship form. LOL.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,491 posts
3,435 battles

Alabama is a decent ship. A solid USN BB Trainer. Massachusetts requires a specialized Captain, or ironically, porting over an Atlanta captain.

But that's the thing; Alabama is nothing super special outside of a high-tier USN BB trainer. For the lucky players, they got an even better trainer in Missouri. For the rest, Alabama suffices. But she doesn't play all that differently from NC either. Simply put, she's extremely vanilla, compared to say, Arizona, or even Tirpitz despite being very similar to Bismarck. There's also the fact that Alabama is seen in a bit of negative light due to the way her release was handled.

Massachusetts on the other hand, requires getting into someone's face and sandblasting them while sucker punching every now and then. A very drastically different playstyle from the usual USN BB play. It's not surprising then that she's considered more exciting or interesting than Alabama. Again though, she requires a specialized captain, as opposed to a more generic one, to really shine.

On a bit of a stupid aside, Alabama's plain, blue, Measure 22 camouflage actually works against players using potato computers; since it blends in with the water extremely well on the lowest possible settings.

Edited by YamatoA150
  • Cool 1

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,460 posts
3,390 battles

True, can't argue against any of that. And if I may confess, I do like brawling so Massachusetts is more attractive to me personally.

But I still like Alabama, in her own special "vanilla" way. She's like the one of few non-brawling BB's that I actually like... because unlike Arizona, she can actually turn her goddang turrets... Aaaargh...

Because sometimes, vanilla flavor ice cream is just the thing you want, out of all the other more fanciful flavors. x]

[PVE]
Members
5,624 posts
18,228 battles
5 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

Alabama is a decent ship. A solid USN BB Trainer. Massachusetts requires a specialized Captain, or ironically, porting over an Atlanta captain.

But that's the thing; Alabama is nothing super special outside of a high-tier USN BB trainer. For the lucky players, they got an even better trainer in Missouri. For the rest, Alabama suffices. But she doesn't play all that differently from NC either. Simply put, she's extremely vanilla, compared to say, Arizona, or even Tirpitz despite being very similar to Bismarck. There's also the fact that Alabama is seen in a bit of negative light due to the way her release was handled.

Massachusetts on the other hand, requires getting into someone's face and sandblasting them while sucker punching every now and then. A very drastically different playstyle from the usual USN BB play. It's not surprising then that she's considered more exciting or interesting than Alabama. Again though, she requires a specialized captain, as opposed to a more generic one, to really shine.

On a bit of a stupid aside, Alabama's plain, blue, Measure 22 camouflage actually works against players using potato computers; since it blends in with the water extremely well on the lowest possible settings.

All of this, well said Yamato. I found that I can use my NY, Iowa or NC captains in the Texas, Arizona, Alabama, and Missouri and they are perfect builds for all those ships. I passed on the Massachusetts as its gimmick didn't fit well with my BB captain build.

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
505 posts
1,037 battles

If I already have Texas, does 'Bama provide a better training platform, or are they pretty similar?

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,460 posts
3,390 battles
Just now, Bonfor said:

If I already have Texas, does 'Bama provide a better training platform, or are they pretty similar?

I say 100% better.

Alabama can actually move around, can turn her turrets in a faaar more reasonable time, actually has a great accuracy for raining justice and freedom from far and above (tm), and also can be surprisingly bouncy when angled properly.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,624 posts
18,228 battles
2 minutes ago, Bonfor said:

Well the AL and TX are both good ships for their tiers but IMHO the AL uptiers better than TX as she is just way too slow. If you have the NC or Iowa, you will enjoy the AL.

• Cool 1

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
32 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

Just a heads up, but Alabama is next on the Summer Day Sale. She is already live on the EU and Asia servers.

SHIP OF THE DAY: ALABAMA

NA PRICE: TBA (30% OFF)

BUNDLE CONTENT

• VIII ALABAMA
  • PORT SLOT

DETAILS

Today only: Battleship Alabama with a 30% discount!

Alabama will take her rightful place in the collection of any admirer of U.S. battleships or fan of naval history. This ship boasts a combination of maneuverability that is quite good for a battleship with accurate and efficient main battery guns. Discover new tactical solutions and playstyles!

Advantages:

• Nine accurate and reliable 406 mm main guns.
  • Excellent anti-aircraft firepower.
  • Good anti-torpedo protection, a priceless advantage in any close encounters with hostile light ships.
  • Impressive maneuverability for a battleship.
  • Extra credits per battle and 50% more XP provided by the camouflage.

If you already have this ship in your Port, you will receive 8,540 Doubloons as compensation.

See the Wiki for the performance parameters of Alabama.
(Or just Read LWM's Review)

Bleah. Great ship, or so I've heard, but too high tier for me, no matter how good she is. WG? Where the heck is my Anshan 50% discount?

Edited by legoboy0401

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
505 posts
1,037 battles

Still working my way up the USN BB's, at T5 currently, but have the T7 New Orleans and her captain to train as well.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,491 posts
3,435 battles
11 minutes ago, Bonfor said:

That really depends. The play style for the USN BB line changes a bit at T8. For the the USN BB line as a whole, Alabama provides a better training platform for a few reasons:

• As a T8, Alabama makes plenty of XP for Captain training, and if you're one to also convert XP, a source of additional FXP for either ship grinding or captain training.
    • Related, being a T8, she also makes decent FXP too, if you do not convert but don't mind the steady trickle of FXP thanks to high-tier play.
  • As a T8, Alabama shares a nearly identical play style with North Carolina, and a very similar one to Iowa. Ironically, Montana swings between the low tier play style and the high tier play style.
  • As a T8, Alabama also makes Credits fairly easily, due to being a Premium and her Permanent Camouflage bonuses. Convenient when going up the USN line as well.

All in all, I would say yes, she's a better trainer than Texas, but more due to training in the high tiers and aiding with high tier gameplay of the line. Texas does perfectly fine training low tier USN BB captains up to Colorado. So does Arizona.

12 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Because sometimes, vanilla flavor ice cream is just the thing you want, out of all the other more fanciful flavors. x]

I'm not going to lie; Vanilla is my 3rd favorite flavor, as it can be changed easily with just a few sprinkles, or an addition of a blended banana, or mangoes, etc.

Edited by YamatoA150
  • Cool 1

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,460 posts
3,390 battles
1 minute ago, legoboy0401 said:

Bleah. Great ship, or so I've heard, but too high tier for me, no matter how good she is. WG? Where the heck is my Anshan 50% discount?

Were you not here, couple months back, when WG had so-called "Steam bundles" on the shop? One of the bundles had Anshan with bunch of other goodies...

...for just ten dollars:Smile_teethhappy:

I got my Anshan back then. Hooray. :fish_cute_2:

Now... as for me... where is my Aigle for 50% off, WG? :Smile_teethhappy: :cap_haloween:

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
2 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Were you not here, couple months back, when WG had so-called "Steam bundles" on the shop? One of the bundles had Anshan with bunch of other goodies...

...for just ten dollars:Smile_teethhappy:

I got my Anshan back then. Hooray. :fish_cute_2:

Now... as for me... where is my Aigle for 50% off, WG? :Smile_teethhappy: :cap_haloween:

No. Hardware issues.:Smile_sad: The only way I'm able to play again now is on this borrowed laptop on which I write. It is significantly better than my own trashy laptop.

Edited by legoboy0401

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,460 posts
3,390 battles
3 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

I'm not going to lie; Vanilla is my 3rd favorite flavor, as it can be changed easily with just a few sprinkles, or an addition of a blended banana, or mangoes, etc.

I heard that vanilla is still one of the most popular, if not THE most popular, flavor of ice creams. So... I guess there is that.

Personally, I'm more of a chocolate person, lol. My ideal ice cream: chocolate ice cream wirh choclate syrup, chocolate sprinkles, chunks of chocolate, aaaand chew chocolate chunks. All chocolate, 100%, all the time. xDD

• Funny 1

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
4 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

I heard that vanilla is still one of the most popular, if not THE most popular, flavor of ice creams. So... I guess there is that.

Personally, I'm more of a chocolate person, lol. My ideal ice cream: chocolate ice cream wirh choclate syrup, chocolate sprinkles, chunks of chocolate, aaaand chew chocolate chunks. All chocolate, 100%, all the time. xDD

Chocolate: I've never understood people's obsession with it. My two fav flavors of sweets in general are Carmel(it's still awesome) and Butterscotch.(I know many people hate it, but that flavor always just kind of "clicked" with me if you do know what I mean)

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,460 posts
3,390 battles
1 minute ago, legoboy0401 said:

Chocolate: I've never understood people's obsession with it.

Well, it's called personal tastes and preferences. If you can't understand, that's fine... we all have our own misgivings.

[-TC]
[-TC]
Members
305 posts
1,735 battles

To anyone questioning on rather you should buy the Alabama or not. 

DON'T QUESTION.

Alabama is 110% without a doubt worth your money. I've enjoyed my Alabama and I still play her. Not as often as I used to but I still do. Makes great credits on a good game. Has the same play style as the North Carolina and Iowa. Has amazing AA, Ruddershift and torpedo protection. Her guns are just wonderful. She's everything I wanted her to be. 

Great for training captains.... what more could I say?

Her sister ship, Massachusetts, was kinda disappointing for me because of how hard she can be to play because of her accuracy being terrible. But, her secondaries are god like.

But overall, if you're questioning about getting the Alabama, don't, just buy her, you won't regret it. Especially if you enjoy battleships in general and love the US Battleships as well as naval history.

• Cool 1

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
1 minute ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Well, it's called personal tastes and preferences. If you can't understand, that's fine... we all have our own misgivings.

Yeah, never did have a thing for girls who colored their hair. That would be my most obvious misgiving.(the current girlfriend just wears her hair in its natural color. It's lovely, to say the least)

Back to the game though, there are just some ships that some people can't seem to stop doing well in, that I can't seem to START doing well in, for some reason. I feel like I totally suck in the majority of my botes, though, with few exceptions. I mean, I love Bayern and Fuso but I just can't seem to get them to work as well as I see a lot of other players getting them to work.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,491 posts
3,435 battles

You know, with how relatively vanilla Alabama is, I wonder what will SoDak's actual advantage be over her when a USN BB split eventually does happen. Just more AA? Or more armor (if she got more than her other sisters)? Or a fictional 16" upgrade? Or crossing the Alabama and Massachusetts, where SoDak gets either the guns of Alabama but the DCP+RP of Massa, or the reverse; the secondary range of Massa, but not the secondary RoF and accuracy, but Alabama's slightly better hull stats, or some other cross.

Members
3,797 posts
14,092 battles

Alabama's the BB that I've done the best with. If I was to start playing BBs again, she'd my main BB.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,465 posts
2,414 battles
43 minutes ago, Bonfor said:

Still working my way up the USN BB's, at T5 currently, but have the T7 New Orleans and her captain to train as well.

Welcome to the community, Bonfor.  Getting to NO in 220 battles is impressive.  The USN lines are .. different .. than the others.  Overall very good, but you should diversify to test the other lines.  Knowing the other ship helps you kill it.  I went up the IJN line in parallel with USN.  Quite instructive. 

Fair winds, mate.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
6,465 posts
2,414 battles
53 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

All in all, I would say yes, she's a better trainer than Texas, but more due to training in the high tiers and aiding with high tier gameplay of the line.

I agree.  However, Bonfor's implied question was, "Should I buy it?"  I say "Not yet (with a caveat)."  Tier 8 and up is a whole different thing, and with 220 battles he's not ready yet.  Will another chance come around to get AL at a discount?  I think so.  OTOH, if $$ is no problem, then it's a good investment for the future.

[KWA]
Members
299 posts
4,167 battles

Alabama is really solid. It's one of my workhorse T8 premiums. If you need something dependable and can carry weight and still be pretty competitive then Alabama is great choice.

Edited by RadDisconnect

[ARGSY]
Members
6,343 posts
4,275 battles
2 hours ago, Bonfor said:

Provided that you are comfortable playing US battleships at Tier VIII and aren't getting in over your head, bear this in mind - with the Tier VIII Alabama, you could have competed in the Indianapolis Marathon. With the Tier V Texas, you could not. With the Tier VIII Alabama, you can do the Permanent Campaigns; with the Tier V Texas, you cannot. And there have been other things that Tier V ships could not compete in, and there may be others in the future.

If absolutely everything else is equal and you cannot separate them out, and price is not the object, that may be a tipping factor for some people. Your call.

• Cool 1

Members
1,248 posts
737 battles
2 hours ago, YamatoA150 said:

You know, with how relatively vanilla Alabama is, I wonder what will SoDak's actual advantage be over her when a USN BB split eventually does happen. Just more AA? Or more armor (if she got more than her other sisters)? Or a fictional 16" upgrade? Or crossing the Alabama and Massachusetts, where SoDak gets either the guns of Alabama but the DCP+RP of Massa, or the reverse; the secondary range of Massa, but not the secondary RoF and accuracy, but Alabama's slightly better hull stats, or some other cross.

I'm frankly skeptical that an American battleship split will happen. The only relevant classes that hasn't been represented in-game is Nevada and Tennessee. Of the two, Tennessee would be extremely similar to the New Mexico in terms of in-game statistics. Nevada would be difficult to balance especially in her post-Pearl Harbor configuration due to her massively increased AA and secondary battery. There's the Florida as well, but WG seems to devote little attention to low tier (frankly I think WG might add Dreadnought and not much else). South Dakota herself would actually have two fewer secondary mounts than the rest of the ships in her class. Not to mention that any split would necessarily introduce paper tier 9 and 10 ships. In short I don't really see a battleship split happening.