Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Airglide2

What if Domination Mode is the problem? (2 Part Statement)

27 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
709 posts
9,924 battles
No seriously, I'm not joking, what if it is?  Didn't WG artificially increase the percentage of the amount of times you'll get Domination Mode instead of Encounter and Standard Mode?  If Wargaming were to change that number to a much lesser extent, then Radar may not be such an issue because, and this just a guess, I think most of the complaints are coming from that Mode rather than the other 2 Modes.  One more time, this is JUST A GUESS, that last part.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also can I say something?  Am I the only player getting tired, or hates Domination Mode?  Particularly if your a Destroyer?  Again I'm being serious here.  Every...single...match in Domination Mode, as a Destroyer, I feel like my entire area-of-play is measured in a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 square box.  I cannot, under any circumstance according to the Mode and Teammates leave those boxes until I'm either A. Dead or B. Captured it.  Is this really fair?  Is this really "fun".  I like fun, and what DDs are forced to do after 1-4-7-10k games over and over and over again is to me "not fun".  Battleship players?  Can go anywhere they want.  They can go faaaaar off into the distance from cap and have a good game or really close to cap and blap a sorry nobody.  Cruiser players?  Same ordeal.  But Destroyers?  No choice it seems unless they want to end up reported, witch-hunted on Reddit/forums, or losing the game. 

I want freedom.  I want THAT freedom that the Battleships and Cruisers have, not pigeonholed every single Domination Mode into an area where I am the most vulnerable or should I say any Destroyer.  I won't stop playing Destroyers, save your breath, but I will state this:

I am looking for change in this department.  I feel Domination Mode is only getting worse with this Radar scandal and the developers not simply making what isn't solid rock, solid rock, for example.  Encounter Mode may play like Domination Mode, but at least I have an entire map's length of squares to work with than what is currently offered in Domination Mode.
 
EDIT:
 
I'd like to edit in that, my wind-up point to freedom was to have Standard Battle become more prevalent than what it currently is.  At least there Destroyers have more freedom to roam and perform acts they can't normally do in Domination/Encounter Mode.
Edited by Airglide2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
187
[JUICE]
Members
819 posts
6,369 battles

I will say this. I love Domination battles, it gives you more choices and tactics. I have been in too many "standard" battles that the team just leaves the cap and loses the match because they get stuck in zoom mode and let a DD through. I have been on both sides of that coin and even a win feels cheap like that.

This is just my opinion. I honestly would like to see more battle types introduced to the game. I am also one of the few who loves the map "Ocean" and will take that in any battle mode.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
495
[LOU1]
Members
3,027 posts
8,125 battles

I never thought about being "trapped" in the box until reading your post (interesting idea) because I choose a DD in order to be able to play in that box in the first place.  Consider that most cruisers do not have the freedom to enter that box until it is either mid/late game of the cap is uncontested.  Any BB charging a cap early is usually going to be a damage magnet to spare team mates so they can (hopefully) kill the preoccupied enemy ships, they don't have the freedom to go into the box.  The box that is the primary way to win a battle.

Interesting and thought provoking post...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
495
[LOU1]
Members
3,027 posts
8,125 battles
7 minutes ago, xXxRCADDICT said:

I will say this. I love Domination battles, it gives you more choices and tactics. I have been in too many "standard" battles that the team just leaves the cap and loses the match because they get stuck in zoom mode and let a DD through. I have been on both sides of that coin and even a win feels cheap like that.

This is just my opinion. I honestly would like to see more battle types introduced to the game. I am also one of the few who loves the map "Ocean" and will take that in any battle mode.

I am always curious why players like the Ocean map.  It always seems to be very little strategy and more like two heavyweight fighters punching each other until one falls down.  DDs jockey around in the middle until they get decimated, then the cruisers and BBs try to stay out of detection range because they'll get focused down.  Doesn't seem to be much strategy.  Of course, I've only seen the map a handful of times - that's why I ask.

Edited by ExploratorOne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59
[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
325 posts
4,658 battles

Someone gets in your grill about playing your bote? Tell him to mind his business.

Except if he's driving the same bote's mission as yours. (Gunboat or Torp). Destroyermen understand how to play.

I learned destroyer because peeps in my games didn't cap. I learned better after that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
187
[JUICE]
Members
819 posts
6,369 battles

Well it kinda levels the playing field a little bit. If you want to win on that map teamwork is a must and Radar is not as powerful of a tool out in the open like that. It is easier to spot as a DD and cruisers will usually stick with BBs as it should be. It really was a common map back in the day before all the radar, now it would really offer a change  to the playing field.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
470 posts
12,442 battles

People who play for the emersion love ocean map. People who read and appreciate naval history don't like battles where the ships act like tanks while hiding and reversing or stopping.

You still get bow tanking, but at least most ships stay in motion. Obviously most cruiser players hate that mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
97
[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

Not sure what tier your playing as a dd driver. I am currently playing mid tier. But i dont feel constrained in domination mode. Yes im going to contend cap but how i do that is my choice. Im not good at kill hunting in a dd yet so in order to be productive i can be I have to be creative. Standard mode i feel limits my options in that aspect. 

In domination mode i can try to cap or deny cap by making it unhealthy to try and take cap. I can also spot for my allies. 

In standard mode taking a cap is either easy as someone pointed out or not very feasible if they are base camping so your limited to just spotting or stealth dropping torps into the base depending on the dd you choose to play. Ho humm....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
66
[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
468 posts
50 minutes ago, Airglide2 said:
No seriously, I'm not joking, what if it is?  Didn't WG artificially increase the percentage of the amount of times you'll get Domination Mode instead of Encounter and Standard Mode?  If Wargaming were to change that number to a much lesser extent, then Radar may not be such an issue because, and this just a guess, I think most of the complaints are coming from that Mode rather than the other 2 Modes.  One more time, this is JUST A GUESS, that last part.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also can I say something?  Am I the only player getting tired, or hates Domination Mode?  Particularly if your a Destroyer?  Again I'm being serious here.  Every...single...match in Domination Mode, as a Destroyer, I feel like my entire area-of-play is measured in a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 square box.  I cannot, under any circumstance according to the Mode and Teammates leave those boxes until I'm either A. Dead or B. Captured it.  Is this really fair?  Is this really "fun".  I like fun, and what DDs are forced to do after 1-4-7-10k games over and over and over again is to me "not fun".  Battleship players?  Can go anywhere they want.  They can go faaaaar off into the distance from cap and have a good game or really close to cap and blap a sorry nobody.  Cruiser players?  Same ordeal.  But Destroyers?  No choice it seems unless they want to end up reported, witch-hunted on Reddit/forums, or losing the game. 

I want freedom.  I want THAT freedom that the Battleships and Cruisers have, not pigeonholed every single Domination Mode into an area where I am the most vulnerable or should I say any Destroyer.  I won't stop playing Destroyers, save your breath, but I will state this:

I am looking for change in this department.  I feel Domination Mode is only getting worse with this Radar scandal and the developers not simply making what isn't solid rock, solid rock, for example.  Encounter Mode may play like Domination Mode, but at least I have entire map lengths (square wise) to work with than what is currently offered in Domination Mode.
 
EDIT:
 
I'd like to edit in that, my wind-up point to freedom was to have Standard Battle become more prevalent than what it currently is.  At least there Destroyers have more freedom to roam and perform acts they can't normally do in Domination/Encounter Mode.

maybe making the caps bigger in radius would be good

i think it would cause you could then cap and force the radar ship from behind his island to come radar you because of range of the radar

on a side note lots of dd dont play the cap like shima for example so in theory whats good for the gander is good for the geese so you dont have to do it really, if you do its your choice really

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,732
[INTEL]
Members
8,577 posts
25,666 battles
16 hours ago, Airglide2 said:
No seriously, I'm not joking, what if it is?  Didn't WG artificially increase the percentage of the amount of times you'll get Domination Mode instead of Encounter and Standard Mode?  If Wargaming were to change that number to a much lesser extent, then Radar may not be such an issue because, and this just a guess, I think most of the complaints are coming from that Mode rather than the other 2 Modes.  One more time, this is JUST A GUESS, that last part.
 

That's really an interesting observation. Will have to think about that. Although radar sucks just as hard on Epicenter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
874
[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,446 posts
8,092 battles
38 minutes ago, Airglide2 said:

Battleship players?  Can go anywhere they want.  They can go faaaaar off into the distance from cap and have a good game or really close to cap and blap a sorry nobody.  Cruiser players?  Same ordeal.  But Destroyers?  No choice it seems unless they want to end up reported, witch-hunted on Reddit/forums, or losing the game.

As someone who plays all the classes -

I try to push in to cap with my BB, I get reported. I run away with less than 20% of HP left, and go silent for 4 minutes trying to get my HP back to a level I will actually survive maybe opening fire on the red team again - I get reported. I single handedly drive 5 ships from a cap, sinking 3 of them, 2 badly damage, take the cap, as the entirety of the rest of the team fails to take the other cap or even just survive, I get reported.

I hunt DD's in my cruiser, take caps, fan out, fall back to provide AA cover - I get reported.

I take a cap in a DD, I get driven from the cap, Driven from the cap but get around them to kill the CV, Nuke a battleship - I get reported.

CV - I basically get reported for existing. If not that, for not throwing my planes away attacking targets they will never reach, not scouting an area covered by AA that will shred my planes and/or put my fighters out of range to cover the team if red bombers show up. Or any of the other petty reasons.

 

Or, in summary, you can play as most anyone else plays, and get reported cause someone just has a bad day, or doesn't like you, or your ship, or any other number of reasons that aren't actually valid. And no, none of those above are exaggerations I have actually been reported for every single thing I have stated above. There are those, those that believe they are elites, that they are better than the rest of us, that you must comply, I call them the Borg because they want everyone to assimilate to how they are, I'd call them white walkers but few have the blue stats to justify it. Don't play something the way they would, or think they should given half these clowns never play a CV but tell us how to do our jobs, they report you. Just ignore the lot of them. 

 

More to the topic. 

Domination is not the issue. Not by a mile. I'm not sure what mode your on about with "encounter" unless you mean "epicenter" (or the wiki is wrong, I never actually learned the game mode names, not on my list of things to worry about really) but that, Standard, Dom, Radar is an issue in all of them. Most players know their spotting range, they know that range vs radar range, they know general tactics they see time and time again, and can guess where the DD is based on the map and seeing the thing saying they are spotted cause the only thing liable to out spot them is - a DD. And Domination is the lesser of three evils basically. 

Standard battle? Outside of maybe tier 4-5, occasionally 6 or 7, it usually ends up a boring as hell "wait for them to come to us" nonsense fest. I have seriously had matches that it wasn't until 10-15 minutes in the first shots were even fired. Back 3-4 lines is where everyone stays or literally in the cap. Absolute camp fest. 

Epicenter - always people whining cause it's a game mode based around basically having to get in close to the enemy. Likely the only one that likes it cause my style is aggressive. 

Which, leaves dom that allows for aggressive play, with the right team, but still also be passive for the guys that enjoy watching the paint dry while waiting on targets to shoot. 

 

It's not about any one game mode, it flat out comes to the way the game, and radar itself, works. It's strictly Wargaming's refusal to really fix it. With how it currently works, range, duration, and reloads are an issue. and the easier things to fix. People balked at the nerf that basically target Des because it had something like 10 km spotting with radar for a minute or more. It's the fact radar has no counter despite how it currently is. Something to reduce the range or at least counter spot the guy using it. And it'd never be an issue at all even if stats stayed the same if Wargaming took the time to overhaul how it works and make it basically LoS. Shorter duration, range, longer reload, it's less an issue. Give it a counter, interfering with it's spotting, only showing a vague outline not the actual ship,  it spots you you spot it, a lot of it vanishes. Make it line of sight, not sure anyone would really complain on the recieving end of radar as they can duck behind an island and the ship has to be where it can be spotted to use it. 

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
93
[LANCE]
Members
307 posts
3,246 battles

I like the Ocean map in my DD’s. As OP said it makes a change and you can truly play a DD to it’s max potential.

Epicenter is sometimes a good change but depends on the team setup. It’s definitely a challenge!

I don’t mind domination mode as at least there’s a couple of different choices to take for different caps etc.

Standard can be a bit yawn as was pointed out it can turn into a ridiculously fast game if you manage to overpower a flank or a DD is able to slip through.

just my 2 cents

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
709 posts
9,924 battles
53 minutes ago, xXxRCADDICT said:

I will say this. I love Domination battles, it gives you more choices and tactics. I have been in too many "standard" battles that the team just leaves the cap and loses the match because they get stuck in zoom mode and let a DD through. I have been on both sides of that coin and even a win feels cheap like that.

This is just my opinion. I honestly would like to see more battle types introduced to the game. I am also one of the few who loves the map "Ocean" and will take that in any battle mode.

Yeah but I don't think those choices and tactics are working if all your eggs are in one basket, namely the Destroyer.  If he goes, then who the heck is gonna replace him?  10k games right over here, answer:  Nobody.  Just keep sailing "away" from the enemy till you whether them down, all the while they collect capture points.  I don't know about you, but a win's a win, I do not care if it is cheap or not.  I'm not looking to "hand over exp points" because I felt bad for them XP

But I'm with you on new modes and I also am a fan of Ocean map.

57 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

I never thought about being "trapped" in the box until reading your post (interesting idea) because I choose a DD in order to be able to play in that box in the first place.  Consider that most cruisers do not have the freedom to enter that box until it is either mid/late game of the cap is uncontested.  Any BB charging a cap early is usually going to be a damage magnet to spare team mates so they can (hopefully) kill the preoccupied enemy ships, they don't have the freedom to go into the box.  The box that is the primary way to win a battle.

Interesting and thought provoking post...

Thank you!  Appreciate the compliment.

 

51 minutes ago, cavscout1739 said:

Someone gets in your grill about playing your bote? Tell him to mind his business.

Except if he's driving the same bote's mission as yours. (Gunboat or Torp). Destroyermen understand how to play.

I learned destroyer because peeps in my games didn't cap. I learned better after that.

Right, however, you don't have that choice of switching ships mid-game (a la War Thunder) if you know what kind of team you have.  Apparently with Pan Asia, RN CLs and the new USN split receiving Radar, it's just easier to complain than it is to cope.  In short there isn't enough noble guys like you out there to up that burden of capping.  But it is ALSO burden what I'm saying!!  I want to play Destroyers, but why the heck am I forced every match in Domination Mode into this 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 cube of contest?  It sucks!  But wrote about all that up above.

 

45 minutes ago, Sped_Gax said:

Not sure what tier your playing as a dd driver. I am currently playing mid tier. But i dont feel constrained in domination mode. Yes im going to contend cap but how i do that is my choice. Im not good at kill hunting in a dd yet so in order to be productive i can be I have to be creative. Standard mode i feel limits my options in that aspect. 

In domination mode i can try to cap or deny cap by making it unhealthy to try and take cap. I can also spot for my allies. 

In standard mode taking a cap is either easy as someone pointed out or not very feasible if they are base camping so your limited to just spotting or stealth dropping torps into the base depending on the dd you choose to play. Ho humm....

Sounds like you play low/mid tiers.  You'll see when you get to high tiers. :cap_book:  

Well I feel constrained.  Like 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 cube constrained.  Remember, a lot of pressure is on you for that cap, you don't have any other choice unless you want the things happen to you that I wrote above.  Believe me, torping caps get old.  Fast.  I believe many Destroyers can be way more productive when their out further into the field (Like spotting, torping, smoking up and firing on ships with no radar around).

If I'm capping the enemy base and the enemy is stopping the cap, I got space to work with to figure out a strategy.  In Domination, not so much.  Destroyers have the least amount of health of all ships.  Seems stupid to have 2 low health, key ships deciding the entire match in the first 5 mins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
709 posts
9,924 battles
19 minutes ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

Tears of the Desert, Epicenter, original map. Try that one for fun.

Did.  Hated it.  But that's in the past.

33 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

That's really an interesting observation. Will have to think about that. Although radar sucks just as hard on Epicenter. 

Thank you!

39 minutes ago, iamplaya said:

maybe making the caps bigger in radius would be good

i think it would cause you could then cap and force the radar ship from behind his island to come radar you because of range of the radar

on a side note lots of dd dont play the cap like shima for example so in theory whats good for the gander is good for the geese so you dont have to do it really, if you do its your choice really

IF that ship is behind a rock and that rock happens to be in the cap, no dice.  Remember, VMF CL/CAs have long distance radar?  It would have to be a pretty big circle which might be more trouble than it's worth.

True I don't "have" to cap, but of the times I decided not to cap, the chat wrote enough about me to help remember other players to report me.  You see, it isn't that I have a choice iamplaya, it's the choice is FORCED upon me because of an increased Domination Mode encounter rate and like I wrote above, doing that 2-5-9k games over and over again gets old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
709 posts
9,924 battles
29 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

As someone who plays all the classes -

I try to push in to cap with my BB, I get reported. I run away with less than 20% of HP left, and go silent for 4 minutes trying to get my HP back to a level I will actually survive maybe opening fire on the red team again - I get reported. I single handedly drive 5 ships from a cap, sinking 3 of them, 2 badly damage, take the cap, as the entirety of the rest of the team fails to take the other cap or even just survive, I get reported.

I hunt DD's in my cruiser, take caps, fan out, fall back to provide AA cover - I get reported.

I take a cap in a DD, I get driven from the cap, Driven from the cap but get around them to kill the CV, Nuke a battleship - I get reported.

CV - I basically get reported for existing. If not that, for not throwing my planes away attacking targets they will never reach, not scouting an area covered by AA that will shred my planes and/or put my fighters out of range to cover the team if red bombers show up. Or any of the other petty reasons.

 

Or, in summary, you can play as most anyone else plays, and get reported cause someone just has a bad day, or doesn't like you, or your ship, or any other number of reasons that aren't actually valid. And no, none of those above are exaggerations I have actually been reported for every single thing I have stated above. There are those, those that believe they are elites, that they are better than the rest of us, that you must comply, I call them the Borg because they want everyone to assimilate to how they are, I'd call them white walkers but few have the blue stats to justify it. Don't play something the way they would, or think they should given half these clowns never play a CV but tell us how to do our jobs, they report you. Just ignore the lot of them. 

 

More to the topic. 

Domination is not the issue. Not by a mile. I'm not sure what mode your on about with "encounter" unless you mean "epicenter" (or the wiki is wrong, I never actually learned the game mode names, not on my list of things to worry about really) but that, Standard, Dom, Radar is an issue in all of them. Most players know their spotting range, they know that range vs radar range, they know general tactics they see time and time again, and can guess where the DD is based on the map and seeing the thing saying they are spotted cause the only thing liable to out spot them is - a DD. And Domination is the lesser of three evils basically. 

Standard battle? Outside of maybe tier 4-5, occasionally 6 or 7, it usually ends up a boring as hell "wait for them to come to us" nonsense fest. I have seriously had matches that it wasn't until 10-15 minutes in the first shots were even fired. Back 3-4 lines is where everyone stays or literally in the cap. Absolute camp fest. 

Epicenter - always people whining cause it's a game mode based around basically having to get in close to the enemy. Likely the only one that likes it cause my style is aggressive. 

Which, leaves dom that allows for aggressive play, with the right team, but still also be passive for the guys that enjoy watching the paint dry while waiting on targets to shoot. 

 

It's not about any one game mode, it flat out comes to the way the game, and radar itself, works. It's strictly Wargaming's refusal to really fix it. With how it currently works, range, duration, and reloads are an issue. and the easier things to fix. People balked at the nerf that basically target Des because it had something like 10 km spotting with radar for a minute or more. It's the fact radar has no counter despite how it currently is. Something to reduce the range or at least counter spot the guy using it. And it'd never be an issue at all even if stats stayed the same if Wargaming took the time to overhaul how it works and make it basically LoS. Shorter duration, range, longer reload, it's less an issue. Give it a counter, interfering with it's spotting, only showing a vague outline not the actual ship,  it spots you you spot it, a lot of it vanishes. Make it line of sight, not sure anyone would really complain on the recieving end of radar as they can duck behind an island and the ship has to be where it can be spotted to use it. 

I already wrote Domination Mode could be quelled down some, alleviating the Radar buzz issues and added making the rocks solid will help, not delete the issue.  I don't agree with your statement of the lesser 3 because Domination Mode is the ONLY mode that forces you into a circle that, no matter where in that circle, you can't escape Radar range in it.  It's the most of the three evils, I have plenty of space to work with in Epicenter because it's huge, Standard I got the whole map, ONE circle which still has space to avoid Radar detection.  

As the developers said, and I agree, they won't make a cheap counter button to Radar.  Again if they made the rocks solid, now all you got is your line-of-sight, which is fine by me.

Or heck, they come out with a brand new mode by the end of this week...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
874
[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,446 posts
8,092 battles
7 minutes ago, Airglide2 said:

It's the most of the three evils, I have plenty of space to work with in Epicenter because it's huge, Standard I got the whole map, ONE circle which still has space to avoid Radar detection.

I believe you misunderstand what I meant by it being the lesser of 3 evils, which comes down to my wording and placement and all. Back when Radar wasn't nearly as prevalent, there was at one time I believe a higher weight towards Standard battle, with I think Epicenter and Dom being more equal. This was also before the IJN torp nerfs if I recall. But, Wargaming wanted to decrease battle times, and the issue was, and still is, the fact that Standard battle tends to devolve into a camp fest. Which aside from Wargaming wanted to speed up matches, players themselves were complaining about the fact this was happening. On the other hand, I can't get a match of Epi without at least 4 people whining about the game mode, usually more. The only mode players don't really complain about is Dom, because it can juggle between the more camp and more aggressive styles. That, is what I meant by lesser of three evils. When it came weighting game type. 

 

I'm also gonna say that yeah, I get it with the circles, try to understand my point of view though - I have ships with radar, and if the red team can keep me away, then yeah, I'm out of range, sure, that's not an option sometimes. But, that means that heavier ships, like cruisers and BB's, should then be pushing in to try and drive me away. And that it doesn't matter to me what the game mode is, because if I have a radar cruiser, I know the spots most DD's want to go, keep an eye on the fighting you can see where the DD isn't to figure out where he is, in Epicenter most of the maps have lots of rocks and just go rock to rock to get in range because odds are they are in whatever circle your not capping, and 9/10 times they are in the center, usually at an edge tucked away near an island. Game mode doesn't matter I see them employ the exact same tactics in every mode. I see them radar'd, or radar them, in generally the same spots. You say you guess that most complaints are coming from Domiation about radar - I disagree with your guess, based on my own experiences. Toning down Domination matchmaking would likely not lessen the complaints at all, and even if it did lessen them some, as I tried to clarify above, you would have complaints resuming in different fields.  

26 minutes ago, Airglide2 said:

Or heck, they come out with a brand new mode by the end of this week...

This, would only happen if they have been testing some kind of new mode for at minimum, weeks. You have to think it up, prototype it, program it, test it, refine it, etc. Even Dom is different than it was back in Alpha and Beta. So, wouldn't hold my breath with how long they've just had these options.

29 minutes ago, Airglide2 said:

As the developers said, and I agree, they won't make a cheap counter button to Radar.  Again if they made the rocks solid, now all you got is your line-of-sight, which is fine by me.

Even I do not want a cheap counter button to radar, unless were at the absolute last resort with no other counters. Much as, to be fair, Radar has become a cheap counter to smoke and stealth in general. And I'd love it to be just LoS based. The problem is, Wargaming apparently went for "fast and easy" and instead of actually creating a functioning radar system, simply did what they did with hydro, which works on a smaller scale the same way, and just have it increase the assured detection range for a period of time. Meaning, that they would have to devise and build a whole new system and to say they have been reluctant at best to do so would be understatement. Hell, it took  us CV players a year or more of fighting just to even get them to change the visual models, not even stats, of aircraft on CV's to be historically accurate, something mod makers had fixed in days. This would be even more work. But if they add in a captain skill that maybe somehow reduces the range of assured spotting against you, or even delays the time in which you become visibly spotted by a couple seconds, or something like that, it'd be something at least. Or, using something they have in fact already done, which I mentioned in my post, during the last Halloween event, they had a system where you could see a vague outline of ships in the green mist thing, but not the ship itself. If, instead of showing the ship, it just showed that vague outline if Radar was the only thing spotting you, THAT would even be something, and it's already been done in the game. With that last one being just how radar works, not a skill or anything. 

 

Changing the weighting of MM to favour the other game modes more, it'd be the same as the smoke fire changes, most CV changes namely USN line rework and the AA buffs, the proposed DD armour nerf at least at higher tiers - instead of addressing the actual issue, in this case, how radar works and all, you try and fix something around it that may or may not have some effect, but generally fixes nothing and likely makes things worse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,435
[-K-]
Members
5,261 posts
9,099 battles

Standard battle mode can die a fiery death and never come back.  Too many inexperienced players don't know what to do without an objective (and conversely, many still don't know what to do with an objective).  But at least there is a mission in Domination mode, which may keep some from sailing around aimlessly, even if not all adhere to it.

In a DD especially, Standard battles are much less tactile and engaging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
101
[EQRN]
Members
342 posts
8,919 battles

I prefer Domination much more than Standard, but it does make DD skill imbalance stand out like CV skill imbalance.  4v4 DDs, 3 of ours get killed within 5 minutes, at which point the teams just waste the next 10 minutes “playing” to the inevitable result.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,698
Members
18,212 posts
5,196 battles
12 hours ago, Airglide2 said:
I cannot, under any circumstance according to the Mode and Teammates leave those boxes until I'm either A. Dead or B. Captured it.
 
No choice it seems unless they want to end up reported, witch-hunted on Reddit/forums, or losing the game. 

The game doesn't force you to remain chained to the caps. I've been on plenty of winning teams where the enemy DDs grab caps first, while our DDs do other things that help whittle the enemy down, to a point where the enemy can't defend the caps, and they are easily taken. (with the enemy unable to retake them)

As for the rest, it's just peer pressure. I might care what my friends have to say about me, but random strangers? On Reddit no less?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,866 posts

Honestly the whole unrealistic sitting in smoke meta has been nerfed and I'm grateful. It still works somewhat, but the risk of being motionless is higher now. You can see that the better players are aware they may have to bail out of smoke. I'm actually better at going after DDs in smoke, regardless of lacking radar or hydro, than I used to be. Last night I tangled with both Loyang and Kidd in my Tirpitz while they were smoked up. Dodged all their torpedoes, and got a double strike on them with my torpedoes, without ever seeing them. Even if I eat a torp going in with something like Hindenburg, I can probably nail them if they want to just sit there. It's not Domination that's the problem, it's your outdated tactics that are the problem. Smoke up and cap at the start is no longer the answer to everything. You have to scout ahead and find out if the cap is uncontested or lightly contested. Or try to take it with 2 or even 3 destroyers. I capped with Mass last night, and got radared, but I had strong support behind me. The capping meta has definitely changed, but one side wins and one loses, every time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
709 posts
9,924 battles
6 hours ago, FrodoFraggin said:

I prefer Domination much more than Standard, but it does make DD skill imbalance stand out like CV skill imbalance.  4v4 DDs, 3 of ours get killed within 5 minutes, at which point the teams just waste the next 10 minutes “playing” to the inevitable result.

That last part, you mean Standard Mode or Domination Mode?

 

4 hours ago, Skpstr said:

The game doesn't force you to remain chained to the caps. I've been on plenty of winning teams where the enemy DDs grab caps first, while our DDs do other things that help whittle the enemy down, to a point where the enemy can't defend the caps, and they are easily taken. (with the enemy unable to retake them)

As for the rest, it's just peer pressure. I might care what my friends have to say about me, but random strangers? On Reddit no less?

I'm becoming more and more tempted to just do my own thing like you said instead of "Rushing B!".  It won't be long, I already wrote my frustration up above.

3 hours ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

Honestly the whole unrealistic sitting in smoke meta has been nerfed and I'm grateful. It still works somewhat, but the risk of being motionless is higher now. You can see that the better players are aware they may have to bail out of smoke. I'm actually better at going after DDs in smoke, regardless of lacking radar or hydro, than I used to be. Last night I tangled with both Loyang and Kidd in my Tirpitz while they were smoked up. Dodged all their torpedoes, and got a double strike on them with my torpedoes, without ever seeing them. Even if I eat a torp going in with something like Hindenburg, I can probably nail them if they want to just sit there. It's not Domination that's the problem, it's your outdated tactics that are the problem. Smoke up and cap at the start is no longer the answer to everything. You have to scout ahead and find out if the cap is uncontested or lightly contested. Or try to take it with 2 or even 3 destroyers. I capped with Mass last night, and got radared, but I had strong support behind me. The capping meta has definitely changed, but one side wins and one loses, every time.

Well I'm not talking about smoking up in the "pathway" of the enemy, more like off to the side.  That way they have to choose, "Should I get the DD and take out their scout but risk a broadside?  Or should I continue to the enemy in front of me risking getting torpedoed?"  You can charge smoke but unlike charging cap smoke which is over the targeted area, the Destroyers have the luxury of going anywhere they want to run-and-hide, not, "OMG I NEED TO GET BACK TO BASE AND SPAM W/E TO STALL THE COUNTDOWN HOLY CRAP THE WAY IS BLOCKED BY ALL THOSE SHIPS IF ONLY I HAD MORE SPACE TO GET AROUND THEM!!!!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,698
Members
18,212 posts
5,196 battles
1 hour ago, Airglide2 said:

I'm becoming more and more tempted to just do my own thing like you said instead of "Rushing B!".  It won't be long, I already wrote my frustration up above.

That's what I mean. As a mostly CA/BB player, I'm always aware of the caps, but they are only one way to win the game, and even then, a "frontal assault" near the start of the match is only one way to get them.

Once the match has run for awhile, it's easier to keep track of which enemies are where, and you can come at the cap from an unexpected (or multiple) direction.

You can only let the enemy keep caps unopposed for so long, but if they get them early, you have time to jockey for more favorable circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
282
[-MS-]
Beta Testers
1,458 posts
3,973 battles

No, standard battle is most definitely the problem. Shouldn't be in the game at all really, all it does is give no sense of direction for teams to go. At least with cap points, there's an actual flow to the battle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×