Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

The Ring: I'm the only confused player, right?

17 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,827
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

So I watched the video:

I am surprised - a bit - about the "voting" that occurred. As in, you had to include a hashtag into the comment section of the potential contestant? Is that how they counted up the votes? 

I'm also surprised, I suppose you could say surprised, that a few who's name get tossed about and quoted did not make the list. I suppose that is because they did not want to participate? 

Seems like a big to-do but man the communication to folks ignorant of the Way of the Wargaming Way Of Doing Things, well at least to me(!) was somehow missing. 

I suppose you guys all got out and voted, eh? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
97
[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

They axtually had a survey vote on the website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
495
[LOU1]
Members
3,030 posts
8,125 battles

There was a notice near the top of the main page in yellow.  With a "vote here" link.

I knew it was voting day due to all the previous announcements so, I was looking for it.  I think the link took you to "The Ring" page.  Not every player is that focused on things like this, though.

Not every CC was necessarily interested.  Note how Flamu says WG asked him and tempted him with the Potato Commander.

I also forgot, until the video, that the other servers were represented.  I am embarrassed that I had not really heard of a couple of the European/NA CCs because I am an avid WOWS video watcher.

Edited by ExploratorOne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,827
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts
43 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

I also forgot, until the video, that the other servers were represented.  I am embarrassed that I had not really heard of a couple of the European/NA CCs because I am an avid WOWS video watcher.

Actually that's one positive from this little contest... I definitely plan to check out some of their content. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
490
[FML]
Members
1,753 posts
10,126 battles
52 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

There was a notice near the top of the main page in yellow.  With a "vote here" link.

I knew it was voting day due to all the previous announcements so, I was looking for it.  I think the link took you to "The Ring" page.  Not every player is that focused on things like this, though.

Not every CC was necessarily interested.  Note how Flamu says WH asked him and tempted him with the Potato Commander.

I also forgot, until the video, that the other servers were represented.  I am embarrassed that I had not really heard of a couple of the European/NA CCs because I am an avid WOWS video watcher.

The White House asked Flamu to do what??!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
495
[LOU1]
Members
3,030 posts
8,125 battles

I think that is part of WG's plan.  If you think about it, a main complaint on the forums is that players don't know how to play.  Watching videos can help them learn.  WG pushes the CC program and promotes videos and CCs.  More players watch videos and tell other players.  Skill has to go up some amount.  Playerbase may become a bit happier.

Edited by ExploratorOne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
495
[LOU1]
Members
3,030 posts
8,125 battles
3 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

The White House asked Flamu to do what??!?

WG - typing too fast or distractedly, LOL.

(Fixed, thanks!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
490
[FML]
Members
1,753 posts
10,126 battles
5 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

WG - typing too fast or distractedly, LOL.

(Fixed, thanks!)

Ah, no worries. I suddenly wondered whether Flamu has political connections only the Russians have!! :cap_haloween:

 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,243
[PVE]
Members
5,600 posts
18,196 battles

I actually think that Wargaming is overestimating player excitement about adding one of these CCs as a captain but are hoping to generate some "buzz" for the game, hence the hashtag. Personally I don't care who wins as long as they are dismissible and have no special talents. The WoWS player base for NA is kind of old for a game and the whole tweeting thing is more appropriate for tweens, teenagers, and the youngsters so I doubt there will be much going on with it in social media. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
495
[LOU1]
Members
3,030 posts
8,125 battles
5 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Ah, no worries. I suddenly wondered whether Flamu has political connections only the Russians have!! :cap_haloween:

 

Who knows?

"Dmitry Rogozin, Russia's deputy prime minister, said that the change will mean the Russian army of the future will need to be full of computer gamers - then named online simulator World of Tanks as a potential recruiting tool.

Writing on Twitter, Rogozin linked to a news piece about the T-90 conversion and said: 'Now we don't need tank drivers, but World of Tanks gamers'."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3271094/Russia-turned-T-90-tank-robot-plans-hire-gamers-fight-future-wars.html

AND

https://www.rt.com/politics/318368-we-need-world-of-tanks/

Edited by ExploratorOne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
490
[FML]
Members
1,753 posts
10,126 battles
4 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

Who knows?

"Dmitry Rogozin, Russia's deputy prime minister, said that the change will mean the Russian army of the future will need to be full of computer gamers - then named online simulator World of Tanks as a potential recruiting tool.

Writing on Twitter, Rogozin linked to a news piece about the T-90 conversion and said: 'Now we don't need tank drivers, but World of Tanks gamers'."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3271094/Russia-turned-T-90-tank-robot-plans-hire-gamers-fight-future-wars.html

AND

https://www.rt.com/politics/318368-we-need-world-of-tanks/

Makes me wonder whether peek-a-boom will work as well irl as it does in WoT. I suppose we’ll see!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,211
[WOLF3]
Members
6,407 posts
2,387 battles
2 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I am surprised - a bit - about the "voting" that occurred. As in, you had to include a hashtag into the comment section of the potential contestant? Is that how they counted up the votes? 

No, there's been a link on the News page for a while, and a thread here.  It was stupidly presented, in that each contestant had a video about why they should be the new Commander-Overload that we were supposed to watch, but all those links were only presented on the Voting page.  You're supposed to watch 20 videos while voting??  And after you voted, you couldn't get to them any more. Apparently, the now-passed player vote was used to winnow down the competition to these 12.  IIUC, it wasn't a straight vote but was weighted by Votes * (# of Likes * # Comments / # of subscribers on their YT channel).  No hashtag involved.

Also, the Asian and Russian CCs were not on our voting list.  Lord_Zath, Yurzal, a podcast were; others.

Glad to see Vulgar and Zoup made it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
569 posts
3 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

So I watched the video:

I am surprised - a bit - about the "voting" that occurred. As in, you had to include a hashtag into the comment section of the potential contestant? Is that how they counted up the votes? 

I'm also surprised, I suppose you could say surprised, that a few who's name get tossed about and quoted did not make the list. I suppose that is because they did not want to participate? 

Seems like a big to-do but man the communication to folks ignorant of the Way of the Wargaming Way Of Doing Things, well at least to me(!) was somehow missing. 

I suppose you guys all got out and voted, eh? 

They didn't get two members in the Ring so they "ADDED" 2 Don't know who but they will be the winners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
495
[LOU1]
Members
3,030 posts
8,125 battles
35 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

No, there's been a link on the News page for a while, and a thread here.  It was stupidly presented, in that each contestant had a video about why they should be the new Commander-Overload that we were supposed to watch, but all those links were only presented on the Voting page.  You're supposed to watch 20 videos while voting??  And after you voted, you couldn't get to them any more. Apparently, the now-passed player vote was used to winnow down the competition to these 12.  IIUC, it wasn't a straight vote but was weighted by Votes * (# of Likes * # Comments / # of subscribers on their YT channel).  No hashtag involved.

Also, the Asian and Russian CCs were not on our voting list.  Lord_Zath, Yurzal, a podcast were; others.

Glad to see Vulgar and Zoup made it.

 

 

Actually, they encouraged us to look for and watch the videos on Youtube.  I checked YouTube a couple of times a day from the start to see if any new ones were posted and watched them as they made them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,211
[WOLF3]
Members
6,407 posts
2,387 battles
3 hours ago, ExploratorOne said:

Actually, they encouraged us to look for and watch the videos on Youtube.  I checked YouTube a couple of times a day from the start to see if any new ones were posted and watched them as they made them.

Which is fine if you knew who the CCs were, I suppose.  I only watch a few, notably Yuro and Jingles.  (And SharonRose)

I also view the News religiously.  Where was this "encouragement"?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
495
[LOU1]
Members
3,030 posts
8,125 battles

I searched YouTube for “#IAmcommander”, figured they required that in the title to make it easier to find.  The encouragement was in the video and webpage to look for the videos the CCs were going to post and statements along the lines of, “watch, like, and vote for your favorite Commanders”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,115
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,379 posts
9,527 battles

Yeah I missed the vote as well. Will follow the youtube channel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×