You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

21 comments in this topic

[DOG]
Members
8 posts
3,235 battles

What is the the best and most effective way to accelerate the training of a specific commander ?

[CAST]
Members
1,195 posts
7,363 battles

And, use camo that gives captain XP bonuses, especially when using the captain on ships for first win bonuses.

[AWP]
Members
782 posts
3,007 battles

If you have camos that boost both XP and CXP, stack those with all XP and CXP flags. If you are limited on those, use them for your first win only to get the bonus then move the commander to a premium ship and repeat.

[ARP2]
Members
1,243 posts
3,569 battles
36 minutes ago, Captputz said:

What is the the best and most effective way to accelerate the training of a specific commander ?

Find a ship that you like and do well in, and assign your commander to that ship and grind the hell out of it.  Thats how i got my first 19 point captain.  I put every +captain xxp flag and camo i could get on Amagi and played her almost exclusively. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

FWB from nation Prems were what worked fhe best for me. 

My first 19 was one of my IJN CMDRs. Having all the ARP Kongo and Myoko's helped greatly in addition to my other Prems. 

If you're going about doing the FWB shuffle the fastest way is to stack +CXp flags and camos. But if you're looking to advance a Ship line simultaneously, then save the camos and flags for that one particular ship. 

Play for bonuses then continue your line grind; if you're doing both. 

Members
2,122 posts

Takes about 2 million XP get to 19 points and takes forever to grind it. So if you want to speed it up, buy a prem ship or prem time... Which gives you 50% (each) bonus to XP. That will cut your grind in half, if you have both. I wouldn't bother with buying flags or camos. Unless you are an above average player. So you get the most per battle from them. 

Edited by MorbidGamer

[PVE]
Members
9,554 posts
7,456 battles
1 hour ago, Captputz said:

Here is a good guide.

[LOU1]
Members
3,018 posts
8,124 battles

Use a ship you like (or can learn to like) in a line that preferably has several premiums you own; you will spend a lot of time with them.  And, focus on getting the Commander leveled up.  That was the advice I got and finally decided to follow one month early last year.  I included the premiums in the advice because even if you don't feel like playing Randoms in a session, Premiums still earn pretty well in PvE.  The focus part is because it will take a long time to get one of your Commanders to 19 if you bounce around ships.

USN was where I had the most premiums and Cleveland was my target USN ship to improve in (going for Des Moines as my first T10 to get the Anniversary SC). I had grown to dislike USN ships due to arcs and speed, but really enjoyed Marblehead and only had a couple of RN premiums.  So my Cleveland Commander went 19 through the Marblehead, Atlanta, Texas, Arizona, Sims, Indy, and Cleveland (Santa had been real good to me).  Sims had the best XP gain, but I still not only don't do well in her, but don't enjoy driving her.  Took me 30 days from 12 to 19 and, a big hit initially to my previously climbing WR from having to drive/grind some ships I was initially uncomfortable with.  The upside is that by focusing on using primarily one ship for two or three days improved my success rate (important part of the "Increase your WR program".)

Keep at it, because once you get the first one the next one is easier.  And you can grind the 19-pointer to generate XP to level up other Commanders throughout your port.  That is how I got a 19-pointer in my Perth and De Grasse (moved to Henri IV) long before I should have.

Edited by ExploratorOne
  • Cool 1

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
468 posts
1 hour ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Free XP doesn't grow on trees, you know.  

:etc_red_button:    :Smile_bajan2:

well the op ask whats the best way thats the best way if you have tons of free xp

Edited by iamplaya

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,042 posts
2 hours ago, Captputz said:

2 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Share your captain between a silver and a gold ship.  That way they get double the battle time.  Use Zulu Hotel flags.

2 hours ago, Murcc said:

And, use camo that gives captain XP bonuses, especially when using the captain on ships for first win bonuses.

Zulu Hotel  flags n all of the above?:Smile_great::Smile_honoring:

[WOLFB]
Members
449 posts
3,833 battles

Hi Captputz. I am glad you asked. I have been obsessing over this question for a few weeks now. I am working on figuring this out myself. I've asked a few questions on the forums, I've read a ton and done a lot of math.

I'm still a fairly new player with only one 12 point and one 11 point commander so this is still fairly academic for me, but here's what I've figured out, and I think it's accurate:

Once you have a 10 point commander, you are 'only' 1,456,000 XP away from 19 points. Which looks like a lot, but actually isn't. If you are a below average player you should be able to do that in less than 150 games.

And there are no secrets. People already laid it out in this thread. But I will elaborate.

Number one is always use the same commander so all your effort is concentrated on that advancing one commander. Play that commander in a ship or a line of ships that you can average 1000 XP per game. If that sounds boring then get a premium ship or two so you can play different ships with the same commander.

On every game (perhaps excluding  warm up games if you need them) mount all the signals and camouflage that boost XP and commander XP.

I have been compulsively saving all mine until now because I didn't want to waste them. I've played 1300 Random games and maybe half that many co-op games in the six months I've been doing WoWs so not particularly long. But I have about 100 Equal Speed Charlie London flags, around 50 of all the special signals ("dragon flags"), and maybe 200 different special camouflages.

With all the signals mounted, you can earn over 9500 Commander XP with a base XP of only 1000. That's below average on most ships even as low as Tier 6. And that is with just the most basic +50% Camo.

To earn that 1.4 million commander XP at 9500 a game is about 150 games. That's not a lot of games at all. You're going to play that many games just grinding the high tier ships in a line.

(By the way: Premium time will speed things up by 50% !! I am not factoring that in since I've never paid for premium time, but if you do, you're looking at 100 games instead of 150.)

(Also, what everyone said about First Win Bonus is true. But I don't focus on that too much because you only get one a day per ship. I only have two premiums so that'd be only three FWB games per day for my commander. I want to do this in less than 50 days of playing. So certainly use your FWB games smartly, but don't be limited by them.)

I'm excited to take this on. I just started to focus on one commander in a serious way last weekend. I am tracking my progress each game and will post results sometime soon, so stay tuned -- I'm hoping it will inspire others to knuckle down and grind their own 19-pointer.

Oh yeah, another thing: I think one additional strategy will be to not rush into new ships. With all those signals I'll be unlocking ships pretty quickly. But I'm in no rush to advance because the retraining penalty puts all progress on hold. I don't have enough signals and flags to spend any extra on retraining. The fewer times I retrain before I reach 19, the sooner it will happen. Additionally, my XP per game will drop when I start playing a new ship. (An argument against this is that you earn more XP at higher tiers -- if you play well at those tiers of course.)

OK, that's it for now. But please don't hesitate to ask any of us to elaborate if what we are saying doesn't makes sense.

Edited by Jester_of_War

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,042 posts
15 minutes ago, Jester_of_War said:

Hi Captputz. I am glad you asked. I have been obsessing over this question for a few weeks now. I am working on figuring this out myself. I've asked a few questions on the forums, I've read a ton and done a lot of math.

I'm still a fairly new player with only one 12 point and one 11 point commander so this is still fairly academic for me, but here's what I've figured out, and I think it's accurate:

Once you have a 10 point commander, you are 'only' 1,456,000 XP away from 19 points. Which looks like a lot, but actually isn't. If you are a below average player you should be able to do that in less than 150 games.

And there are no secrets. People already laid it out in this thread. But I will elaborate.

Number one is always use the same commander so all your effort is concentrated on that advancing one commander. Play that commander in a ship or a line of ships that you can average 1000 XP per game. If that sounds boring then get a premium ship or two so you can play different ships with the same commander.

On every game (perhaps excluding  warm up games if you need them) mount all the signals and camouflage that boost XP and commander XP.

I have been compulsively saving all mine until now because I didn't want to waste them. I've played 1300 Random games and maybe half that many co-op games in the six months I've been doing WoWs so not particularly long. But I have about 100 Equal Speed Charlie London flags, around 50 of all the special signals ("dragon flags"), and maybe 200 different special camouflages.

With all the signals mounted, you can earn over 9500 Commander XP with a base XP of only 1000. That's below average on most ships even as low as Tier 6. And that is with just the most basic +50% Camo.

To earn that 1.4 million commander XP at 9500 a game is about 150 games. That's not a lot of games at all. You're going to play that many games just grinding the high tier ships in a line.

(By the way: Premium time will speed things up by 50% !! I am not factoring that in since I've never paid for premium time, but if you do, you're looking at 100 games instead of 150.)

(Also, what everyone said about First Win Bonus is true. But I don't focus on that too much because you only get one a day per ship. I only have two premiums so that'd be only three FWB games per day for my commander. I want to do this in less than 50 days of playing. So certainly use your FWB games smartly, but don't be limited by them.)

I'm excited to take this on. I just started to focus on one commander in a serious way last weekend. I am tracking my progress each game and will post results sometime soon, so stay tuned -- I'm hoping it will inspire others to knuckle down and grind their own 19-pointer.

Oh yeah, another thing: I think one additional strategy will be to not rush into new ships. With all those signals I'll be unlocking ships pretty quickly. But I'm in no rush to advance because the retraining penalty puts all progress on hold. I don't have enough signals and flags to spend any extra on retraining. The fewer times I retrain before I reach 19, the sooner it will happen. Additionally, my XP per game will drop when I start playing a new ship. (An argument against this is that you earn more XP at higher tiers -- if you play well at those tiers of course.)

OK, that's it for now. But please don't hesitate to ask any of us to elaborate if what we are saying doesn't makes sense.

4 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Share your captain between a silver and a gold ship.  That way they get double the battle time.  Use Zulu Hotel flags.

2 hours ago, ExploratorOne said:

Use a ship you like (or can learn to like) in a line that preferably has several premiums you own; you will spend a lot of time with them.  And, focus on getting the Commander leveled up.  That was the advice I got and finally decided to follow one month early last year.  I included the premiums in the advice because even if you don't feel like playing Randoms in a session, Premiums still earn pretty well in PvE.  The focus part is because it will take a long time to get one of your Commanders to 19 if you bounce around ships.

USN was where I had the most premiums and Cleveland was my target USN ship to improve in (going for Des Moines as my first T10 to get the Anniversary SC). I had grown to dislike USN ships due to arcs and speed, but really enjoyed Marblehead and only had a couple of RN premiums.  So my Cleveland Commander went 19 through the Marblehead, Atlanta, Texas, Arizona, Sims, Indy, and Cleveland (Santa had been real good to me).  Sims had the best XP gain, but I still not only don't do well in her, but don't enjoy driving her.  Took me 30 days from 12 to 19 and, a big hit initially to my previously climbing WR from having to drive/grind some ships I was initially uncomfortable with.  The upside is that by focusing on using primarily one ship for two or three days improved my success rate (important part of the "Increase your WR program".)

Keep at it, because once you get the first one the next one is easier.  And you can grind the 19-pointer to generate XP to level up other Commanders throughout your port.  That is how I got a 19-pointer in my Perth and De Grasse (moved to Henri IV) long before I should have.

2 hours ago, MorbidGamer said:

Takes about 2 million XP get to 19 points and takes forever to grind it. So if you want to speed it up, buy a prem ship or prem time... Which gives you 50% (each) bonus to XP. That will cut your grind in half, if you have both. I wouldn't bother with buying flags or camos. Unless you are an above average player. So you get the most per battle from them. 

3 hours ago, Hatework said:

Find a ship that you like and do well in, and assign your commander to that ship and grind the hell out of it.  Thats how i got my first 19 point captain.  I put every +captain xxp flag and camo i could get on Amagi and played her almost exclusively. 

1 hour ago, shadowsrmine said:

Zulu Hotel  flags n all of the above?:Smile_great::Smile_honoring:

All of that got me my 1st then  it  snowballed I now have over four 19 point  Commanders and four or five 15-16 pointers of different nations

18 minutes ago, Jester_of_War said:

[WOLFB]
Members
449 posts
3,833 battles

I want to put up some examples, just to help show how doable this is:

A loss in a Tier 6 DD (Farragut) with 738 Base XP still got me over 8000 Commander XP:

Base XP                           738
Camo +100%                   738
ESCL Signal +50%          369
Hydra +50%                      369
Red Dragon +100%         738
Clan bonus +3%              23
----------------------------------------------------
TOTAL XP                        2975

add to that commander XP:
Camo +100%                   738
Hydra +150%                  1107
Dragon +333%                 2458
Red Dragon +100%         738
Zulu Hotel +50%              369
Total XP (from above)    2975
============================
Total Cmdr XP                 8385

(this example I had Sci Fi Space camo mounted which gives +100% to XP and +100% to Commander XP. Same as Lá Fhéile Pádraig or Valentine's 2017 camo)

Here is another example of a win in my Farragut. 17,521 Commander XP (same camoflauge):

Base XP                          1477
Firs Win Bonus +50%    739
Camo +100%                  1477
ESCL Signal +50%          739
Hydra +50%                     739
Red Dragon +100%        1477
Clan bonus +3%              45
--------------------------------------------------
TOTAL XP:                       6693

add to that commander XP:
Camo +100%                   1477
Hydra +150%                   2216
Dragon +333%                 4919
Red Dragon +100%         1477
Zulu Hotel +50%              739
Total XP (from above)    6693
============================
TOTAL CMDR XP:           17521

Remember, these numbers are all without Premium time. With Premium time it would have been 12,500 in a loss and 26,000 for the win. I hear that it's possible to clear 30,000 Commander XP in a good battle with the right camoflauge.

One thing to see when looking at the math behind these numbers: None of the bonuses are multiplied by each other. Even the First Win Bonus just adds 50% (or whatever it is that day) to the Ship XP total. Which is then added to Commander XP. All the bonuses just multiply off of the Base XP number. So for maximum value on all your signals and camoflauge, the only thing to worry about is getting the highest possible Base XP you can. Use higher performing ships -- the highest tier ship that you do the best in. Premium Time is the exception to this rule of course -- since Premium time multiplies your Base XP by 1.5, then all your other bonuses get a boost by 1.5.

So regarding the First Win Bonus: near as I can tell it is better to use camos/signals on your second/third/fourth win on a high performing ship instead of using them on a First Win on a lower performing (lower tier or lower skill) ship.

[Anyone please correct me if I am wrong here. I am trying to make this as transparent and not intimidating as possible. I certainly don't want to be spreading misinformation.]

[ARGSY]
Members
6,248 posts
4,207 battles
12 minutes ago, Jester_of_War said:

I want to put up some examples, just to help show how doable this is:

It's very doable, and captain XP can stack up obscenely fast, IF you have enough flags and camo to sustain the pace and IF you have enough opportunity to play the game for long enough every night (I sometimes don't).

The other thing to try to do is break the task up into parcels as a medium- to long-term goal. I have a little under a million XP to go before my first 19-pointer. I know that if I clear 10,000 captain XP a night on average, I will be there in 100 days of play. 

I also know that I have about 500 items (flags and camo) that will boost commander XP. I will work my way through them slowly, one per game, only stacking them together for maximum effect on those occasions where higher first-win bonuses are offered in special events (or should I have plenty left when I'm in easy reach of the goal).

Also be on the lookout for special events such as the Space Battles thing earlier this year or the Halloween event in 2017. Those give you special ships in a special game mode, plus 19 point captains on loan whose commander XP you get to keep after the event is over. If they repeat a similar event this year, I think that'll be the thing which finally gets me over the line.

[WOLFB]
Members
449 posts
3,833 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

if I clear 10,000 captain XP a night on average

That shouldn't be hard at all. With even below average games, you should be able to average 10,000 Commander XP per game. (That's why I gave concrete examples -- to show that even someone with my middling skills can average 10,000 per game.)

stacking them together for maximum effect on those occasions where higher first-win bonuses are offered

When I look at the formula for computing Commander XP, I don't think that there is any 'stacking together for maximum effect'. Am I wrong? [I'm not trying to argue -- I just want to make sure we all know exactly how this works.] The difference that the First Win Bonus has on your total Commander XP is simply the addition of (Base XP times the FWB percentage). So basically the simple addition of 50% (or sometimes 100% or 200%) of your Base XP. Which makes a difference, but it doesn't matter if you stack it with other bonuses. For example: in my game above where I got 1477 Base XP, if that had not been a First Win, then I would have gotten 16,782 Cmdr XP instead of the 17,521 XP. Only a difference of 739 (which is 50% of Base XP).

be on the lookout for special events such as the Space Battles thing earlier this year or the Halloween event in 2017.

I'm glad you mentioned those special events. During Space Battles earlier this year (around April Fool's Day) I was able to bank over 100,000 Elite Commander XP that I have been saving. I'm sure a lot of people got a whole lot more. In addition to that, I also was able to win dozens of Sci Fi Space camos that really help with the Commander training. I sure hope WarGaming does something similar during Halloween this year!

[ @Ensign_Cthulhu -- I hope this doesn't come off as sounding argumentative or anything like that at. That's certainly not my intent. In fact, it looks like you and I are focused on much the same thing right now in our World of Warships obsessions. 19 Point Commander For the Win! I have much respect for you. ]

[ARGSY]
Members
6,248 posts
4,207 battles
1 hour ago, Jester_of_War said:

When I look at the formula for computing Commander XP, I don't think that there is any 'stacking together for maximum effect'. Am I wrong?

Not in the same way that Free XP can be multiplied, no. But the Commander XP calculation takes the ship XP as its start point (because Captain XP is at a minimum equal to ship XP) and adds the bonuses on, and when you have multiple flags and camos that increase both ship and commander XP (e.g. Red Dragon and Hydra and Sci Fi Space), things build up rather quickly. 

That's why I would use camo that boosts commander XP only on a high-first-win day and/or with flags that boost ship XP (regardless of whatever else they might do). But even when I'm only running Zulu Hotel, trying to save those big-bonus camos for the home stretch, my Edinburgh has perma-camo and all the other ships are premiums anyway. 

With even below average games, you should be able to average 10,000 Commander XP per game.

By all means. But some of the flags are ones I'm in short supply of right now; specifically, I burned up a lot of Red Dragons generating Free XP for the Nelson (she was so, so worth it). So I am saving those up for when 100% or 200% weekends come along and I can boost a 1000 base XP game to potentially 4000 ship XP or more on a first win. I would rather have those big games in the home stretch when I find I have camo to burn than have them early and find myself depleted toward the end. 

I got 100K on Space Battles (and 70-something Space camos). The leftovers from that and the ~190K bonus I got from the US cruiser split got spent lifting multiple captains from eight to ten points (to give them concealment expert), which in the context of my gameplay was a better use all round than lifting ONE captain by not more than ONE point.

I hope this doesn't come off as sounding argumentative or anything like that at. That's certainly not my intent.

Oh no. By all means let us debate and correct our misconceptions and confusions wherever they may exist. 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu