You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Stormie1126

TFW you don't know what to get next/can I get some feedback?

15 comments in this topic

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles

So thanks to being invited to a Discord server with a bunch of skippers who div up pretty regularly, who seem pretty chill (and are much further along in terms of battles and tech trees than I am right now), and being brought on the "grand tour" of Operations to get them all-with the exception of Cherry Blossom, not having a ship for it yet-5 starred (yes, even the currently dreaded Ultimate Frontier-SOO happy about that one :Smile_teethhappy:)  I find myself at a point where I can use the resulting XP and credits to follow a few different paths. Was hoping to get some thoughts about the various choices.

I posted last night about the possibility of getting the Hipper, this was before "the Tour" and realizing I had more options available, so I got some good feedback on that ship already.

My other options are getting another half million credits for the Colorado (I had researched it a while back and had just been waiting for the credits for it), another 10k XP and million credits for the Gneisnau, or using the rewards from last night to give a boost to one or two of the lines I just started last week-depending on how credits and XP work out, options there are getting one, maybe two, out of the following: Kirov, Emerald, Orion, Courbet, and the Emile Bertin. I could also jump back into the IJN BB and/or cruiser lines, which I abandoned a while ago. I'd have to pick back up with the Aoba (which I'll admit, I'm looking at with a bit of a skeptical eye, she's the reason I abandoned the cruiser line) and the Kongo. But I'd also be able to move up fairly quickly through both those ships, I abandoned them before my recent 6 month break, which before I took I hadn't done anywhere NEAR as much research on the game and hadn't made a concerted effort to up my skills as a sailor.

So what are your thoughts, everyone?

:Smile_popcorn:

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

My thought is this figure what style of play suits you and if your serious about tier 10 play then research to that ship which suits your play style. 

• Boring 1

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
14 minutes ago, Sped_Gax said:

My thought is this figure what style of play suits you and if your serious about tier 10 play then research to that ship which suits your play style. 

And trying to figure out which ship would do that is the reason for the post.

-_-

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
7 minutes ago, Stormie1126 said:

And trying to figure out which ship would do that is the reason for the post.

-_-

So what style do you like to play? In BB's I am starting to see alot of brawler builds enhanced secondaries with a captain that has the manual secondary skill and AFT skill. One of the reasons Im still playing my colorado with my 13 point commander and why ive got camo and signals for more xp on her. T10 Montana with her large amount of secondaries does well in that role. But since im having more fun with my T5 destroyers thier getting the bulk of my playing time.

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
Just now, Sped_Gax said:

So what style do you like to play? In BB's I am starting to see alot of brawler builds enhanced secondaries with a captain that has the manual secondary skill and AFT skill. One of the reasons Im still playing my colorado with my 13 point commander and why ive got camo and signals for more xp on her. T10 Montana with her large amount of secondaries does well in that role. But since im having more fun with my T5 destroyers thier getting the bulk of my playing time.

I like a nice equal mix of dodging around in a speedy cruiser and harassing whoever shows themselves, which is why I tend to like most cruisers, and brawling and sniping BBs. So a bit of a jack of all trades, really. I know that kind of covers a lot of ships, that's why I worded the OP the way I did. I know there's a lot of 'How to [insert ship name]' posts, and I do go there for an initial idea about a ship, but a lot of those are on the older side and I know WG is constantly tweaking ships with nerfs and buffs, so I'm trying to get more or less current, personal experiences from captains who've sailed the ships I'm looking at.

[INTEL]
Members
8,585 posts
25,702 battles

Nice having you in the div, stormie.

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
2 minutes ago, Stormie1126 said:

I like a nice equal mix of dodging around in a speedy cruiser and harassing whoever shows themselves, which is why I tend to like most cruisers, and brawling and sniping BBs. So a bit of a jack of all trades, really. I know that kind of covers a lot of ships, that's why I worded the OP the way I did. I know there's a lot of 'How to [insert ship name]' posts, and I do go there for an initial idea about a ship, but a lot of those are on the older side and I know WG is constantly tweaking ships with nerfs and buffs, so I'm trying to get more or less current, personal experiences from captains who've sailed the ships I'm looking at.

Most players who have multiple T10 ships that ive seen not counting the you tube players. Tend to adapt thier ship/captain builds to counter the trends they see in the game. My clan leader got his grobe kurfhurst and is loving it. I think he also has hindenburg. Im interested in Zao after seeing many videos on it and the talk of a steath build with her torps hmm may have to break out kuma and work that line myself. But my biggest problem in not dhip research but captain xp as it will take me 1.27 million captain xp just to get my 13 point captain to 19 to fully use a T10 ships potential. 

Members
40 posts
4,323 battles
12 minutes ago, Stormie1126 said:

Well,  Gneis is definitely going to be the lowest accuracy of the lot. With only 6 barrels, she really takes some getting used to to use right. She really suffers at range, but is pretty good up close and has cruiser speed. Hipper's a good general use cruiser that's a significant upgrade on the Yorck, if you have it, in terms of gunnery. Colorado is very much like any of the other dreadnought era ships you have played (slow, a lot of direct armor), with 16 inch guns that are relatively accurate. Really, though, the unique identities of each line start to really happen from T8 and up. I personally prioritized the German BB line since I like brawling, but if you tend to favor cruisers you may end up preferring something else. It's really all about what you enjoy.

Edited by andarragh21

[FARQD]
Members
374 posts
6,195 battles
6 minutes ago, Sped_Gax said:

Most players who have multiple T10 ships that ive seen not counting the you tube players. Tend to adapt thier ship/captain builds to counter the trends they see in the game. My clan leader got his grobe kurfhurst and is loving it. I think he also has hindenburg. Im interested in Zao after seeing many videos on it and the talk of a steath build with her torps hmm may have to break out kuma and work that line myself. But my biggest problem in not dhip research but captain xp as it will take me 1.27 million captain xp just to get my 13 point captain to 19 to fully use a T10 ships potential. 

Once you get your first one it would just build up in no time. 6 months back I had just 1 19 pointer and now I have 15. 

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
11 minutes ago, sansfaille said:

Once you get your first one it would just build up in no time. 6 months back I had just 1 19 pointer and now I have 15. 

Nice. I should have my first by Christmas lol. I did the whole grind to get to cleveland before 7.5 came out. Since then I just cant play the same ship back to back. So I came up with a plan to play a few ships to a certain XP per day and play enough to get 2 daily containers a day. Keeps it interesting. Althpugh after watching videos and going back to DD's Ive been having fun playing cap wars lol so Mr BB captain is feeling left out.

• Cool 1

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
1 hour ago, andarragh21 said:

Well,  Gneis is definitely going to be the lowest accuracy of the lot. With only 6 barrels, she really takes some getting used to to use right. She really suffers at range, but is pretty good up close and has cruiser speed. Hipper's a good general use cruiser that's a significant upgrade on the Yorck, if you have it, in terms of gunnery. Colorado is very much like any of the other dreadnought era ships you have played (slow, a lot of direct armor), with 16 inch guns that are relatively accurate. Really, though, the unique identities of each line start to really happen from T8 and up. I personally prioritized the German BB line since I like brawling, but if you tend to favor cruisers you may end up preferring something else. It's really all about what you enjoy.

I pretty much enjoy brawling BBs, sniper BBs, and cruisers equally. I have just about a 50/50 play time ratio between BBs and cruisers. My biggest gripe about some of the cruisers is their squishiness, if they happen to not be as nimble and can't dodge as well. That's why I have such a love for the Nurnberg-sure she's squishy as all hell, but she's nimble enough you can dodge. Then with her reload and accuracy, she's a bit like a German Atlanta in terms of being a fire spitter, especially if you have fire buffs.

Members
40 posts
4,323 battles

If your main complaint is squishiness, you might want to try the German BBs then. Gneis is fairly maneuverable, but after that their turning circles get quite large. However, the way their armor and HP is set up you will almost never take a catastrophic single hits the way the Japanese and US BBs sometimes can. You will take a lot of consistent damage, though. That, and the accuracy (or lack there-of) takes some getting used to. But, boy, when you get in close they do a lot of damage.

Members
40 posts
4,323 battles

The high tier Germans also have an interesting quirk: their noses are largely armored with an extended belt that is 60mm. That means that they can't be overmatched through the nose by a Yamato or Musashi, and can withstand a large amount of hits if you are willing to go bow on and  limit your own firepower.

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
7 minutes ago, andarragh21 said:

If your main complaint is squishiness, you might want to try the German BBs then. Gneis is fairly maneuverable, but after that their turning circles get quite large. However, the way their armor and HP is set up you will almost never take a catastrophic single hits the way the Japanese and US BBs sometimes can. You will take a lot of consistent damage, though. That, and the accuracy (or lack there-of) takes some getting used to. But, boy, when you get in close they do a lot of damage.

Oh yeah, I've liked the Bayern. Broadside she's average armor wise, but angle properly? I just LOL to infinity as enemies try and score damage and I just bounce EVERYTHING XD

Members
40 posts
4,323 battles
Just now, Stormie1126 said:

Oh yeah, I've liked the Bayern. Broadside she's average armor wise, but angle properly? I just LOL to infinity as enemies try and score damage and I just bounce EVERYTHING XD

That is one thing that will carry over to the high tier germans. Their armor is mostly exposed while almost every other navy uses internal armor designs, so you can bounce shells that other ships can't.