You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gurnski_3

Noob asking questions

22 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
77 battles

Hello! Thank your taking your timw to look at this! So I have around 60-70 games so far and I started out pretty dang good. Had no idea where to go or how to aim and ended up doing around 60k sometimes even 80k damage(which I had no idea how good that was). The more I play the worse I get. Before I averaged 30k in random battles and now I do and average of 10k now. I have no idea what im doing wrong now. I know more(not by much but still) about the game than my first couple of battles. What I need help with is playing the ships at what they're good at. I SUCK playing battleships and destroyers. I might stop going up the destroyer lines overall. I'm going up the American, British, Japanese, and Chinese tech trees. Is there an in depth guide on every little thing about the game or about map positioning? I played WoT so I'm used to going to a "medium side" or a "heavy side." Is it the same in WoW? Thank you again for taking your time to read my questions about this game that I'm really liking so far!

• Cool 2

[JUICE]
Members
819 posts
6,369 battles

There are lots of tutorials on you tube. Check out the captains academy videos by IChase they are very informative.

Good Luck!

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
6,665 posts
25,791 battles

Welcome aboard captain! 
Ask questions if you have them. Lots of good folks and good material here,plus many excellent Community Contributors in YouTube.

You should look at iChaseGaming for basic series.

Notser and NoZoupForYou are good entry level channels. Flamu is advanced. Of course you are familiar with Jingles from WOT. he has WOWS stuff too.

There are many others you will find in YouTube.

The WOWS Wiki has good material.

The best ship reviews are here in the forum. Look for posts from LittleWhiteMouse.

Edited by alexf24
  • Cool 2

[LHG]
Members
1,194 posts
4,980 battles

There's plenty of content on Youtube in terms of tutorials. iChase is a good place to start, but I'm not sure if those videos are still relevant due to how much the game has changed since their release.

For now, I suggest you stay with American and Japanese lines. Those two are the oldest in the game and are a great platform to learn the basics of the game, since they don't rely heavily on gimmicks to be balanced. British and Pan-Asian lines are specialized, and you might pick up some bad habits from them that don't apply to other lines.

• Cool 2

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles

I would move up a Battleship line first (not France). Destroyers are tough on new people as they can seriously influence a game based on caps, etc.

Don't overextend, position yourself somewhere centrally if you have a slow ship and look at the minimap in between salvos. In fact, increase the size of the map with the + key. Minimap awareness wins games.

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
1,262 posts
8,868 battles
1 minute ago, xXxRCADDICT said:

There are lots of tutorials on you tube. Check out the captains academy videos by IChase they are very informative.

Good Luck!

What he said. It also sounds like you may have progressed up the tiers too fast and are encountering better players. Also, leave DD's for now, the skill requirement to play effectively is high. Stick with german and japanese lines to start with. They are, arguably, the 'easier' and more forgiving lines to play.

• Cool 1

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
16 minutes ago, firemedic1428 said:

I would move up a Battleship line first (not France). Destroyers are tough on new people as they can seriously influence a game based on caps, etc.

Don't overextend, position yourself somewhere centrally if you have a slow ship and look at the minimap in between salvos. In fact, increase the size of the map with the + key. Minimap awareness wins games.

Minimap awareness is a must. It can keep you from getting deleted(killed).

• Cool 1

[HIT]
Members
70 posts
5,995 battles

The likely reason you are doing worse is that you've probably moved out of protected match-making where bots fill out the teams. Once you go from situations like 1 or 2 humans and 8 or 9 bots on each team to all human players things get a lot more difficult.

Edited by HQ_21
  • Cool 1

[CAST]
Members
1,428 posts
5,978 battles

To begin with, your first couple dozen battles on a new account put you into "protected" matchmaking: you are only going up against other beginning players, with both teams being filled out by bots.  That will often lead to better results than you could expect against the overall Warships population, so the drop-off in your per game results is entirely normal as you level your account up and begin seeing (human) opponents with thousands of battles under their belts & captains with many more skill points racked up than yours.  Coupled with numerous other factors, not least of which being that the higher you go in the tiers the more likely you are to be punished for mistakes (and punished more severely), this often results in a pretty brutal reality check for new players.

While it's good to branch out into as many different ship types & lines as possible, for your first few hundred battles you are probably better off sticking to one or two.  As you've no doubt noticed, the gun and armor characteristics can vary widely from line to line, and of course the optimal play styles change with them.  It's generally better to stick to ships with similar traits until you've at least got the basics down & learned how the various maps & game modes tend to play out.

As others have said, there is a wealth of knowledge geared toward everyone from the newest noobs to the most experienced competitive players available on YouTube and Twitch.  Digging through these forums, the New Players section in particular, will also net you a ton of great tips and advice.  As you level out your account and the option becomes available, it's also worth looking into joining a clan--in addition to giving you a ready-made group of more experienced players to learn with and from, clan membership also nets you automatic bonuses to your in-game XP earnings and discounts on the purchase price of many ships (not the premium ones, sorry).

Finally, don't hesitate to stick with Co-op (PvE) battles for the time being.  The bot opponents are much more forgiving of your mistakes as you trial & error your way through the low tiers, and just as importantly your human teammates will generally be much more forgiving as well.  This also has the benefit of slowing your progress down the tech trees a bit (Co-op rewards are lower in terms of XP & credit earnings per battle), so you won't be as tempted to rush into higher tiers--the jump from tier IV to tier V in particular can be painful for many new players.

Welcome aboard! :Smile_honoring:

Edited by Harv72b
  • Cool 2

[ARP2]
Members
1,244 posts
3,569 battles

UrPeaceKeeper has a great youtube channel with pretty in depth looks at alot of the various ship lines. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxCRnJcVb_CGvKHAOsHNd2g

Also, Ichase has a good captains academy series about various game mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDzvim_rx7l59Mv0xT-RNOA

Lastly, dont let underwhelming games bother you.  After a few thousand games it all averages out anyway.  My usual example is having my best game in Amagi (217k-ish.)  Then, the very next game i sailed all fat and happy from my previous game into the entire enemy team and did a measly 30k damage lol 

Edited by Hatework
  • Cool 1

Members
4 posts
77 battles

Thank you so much for all of your responses, I will take note of them and stick with playing with bots as I get more used to the gameplay. I will cotinue to watch more youtubers play the game and see how they play the tank they play. Again thank you all so much. I really appreciate it :)

[PVE]
Members
9,803 posts
7,492 battles
44 minutes ago, Gurnski_3 said:

Hello! Thank your taking your timw to look at this! So I have around 60-70 games so far and I started out pretty dang good. Had no idea where to go or how to aim and ended up doing around 60k sometimes even 80k damage(which I had no idea how good that was). The more I play the worse I get. Before I averaged 30k in random battles and now I do and average of 10k now. I have no idea what im doing wrong now. I know more(not by much but still) about the game than my first couple of battles. What I need help with is playing the ships at what they're good at. I SUCK playing battleships and destroyers. I might stop going up the destroyer lines overall. I'm going up the American, British, Japanese, and Chinese tech trees. Is there an in depth guide on every little thing about the game or about map positioning? I played WoT so I'm used to going to a "medium side" or a "heavy side." Is it the same in WoW? Thank you again for taking your time to read my questions about this game that I'm really liking so far!

11 minutes ago, HQ_21 said:

The likely reason you are doing worse is that you've probably moved out of protected match-making where bots fill out the teams. Once you go from situations like 1 or 2 humans and 8 or 9 bots on each team to all human players things get a lot more difficult.

5 minutes ago, Harv72b said:

To begin with, your first couple dozen battles on a new account put you into "protected" matchmaking: you are only going up against other beginning players, with both teams being filled out by bots.  That will often lead to better results than you could expect against the overall Warships population, so the drop-off in your per game results is entirely normal as you level your account up and begin seeing (human) opponents with thousands of battles under their belts & captains with many more skill points racked up than yours.  Coupled with numerous other factors, not least of which being that the higher you go in the tiers the more likely you are to be punished for mistakes (and punished more severely), this often results in a pretty brutal reality check for new players.

While it's good to branch out into as many different ship types & lines as possible, for your first few hundred battles you are probably better off sticking to one or two.  As you've no doubt noticed, the gun and armor characteristics can vary widely from line to line, and of course the optimal play styles change with them.  It's generally better to stick to ships with similar traits until you've at least got the basics down & learned how the various maps & game modes tend to play out.

As others have said, there is a wealth of knowledge geared toward everyone from the newest noobs to the most experienced competitive players available on YouTube and Twitch.  Digging through these forums, the New Players section in particular, will also net you a ton of great tips and advice.  As you level out your account and the option becomes available, it's also worth looking into joining a clan--in addition to giving you a ready-made group of more experienced players to learn with and from, clan membership also nets you automatic bonuses to your in-game XP earnings and discounts on the purchase price of many ships (not the premium ones, sorry).

Finally, don't hesitate to stick with Co-op (PvE) battles for the time being.  The bot opponents are much more forgiving of your mistakes as you trial & error your way through the low tiers, and just as importantly your human teammates will generally be much more forgiving as well.  This also has the benefit of slowing your progress down the tech trees a bit (Co-op rewards are lower in terms of XP & credit earnings per battle), so you won't be as tempted to rush into higher tiers--the jump from tier IV to tier V in particular can be painful for many new players.

Welcome aboard! :Smile_honoring:

As they both said, the first few battles, you are in battle vs bots (co-op or PvE) instead of humans. Once you had gathered 750 XP, you made account level 3 and got access to Random battles (PvP). Sixty of your sixty-four battles are in PvP. As you progress up the account levels, until account level 12, the matchmaking system (MM) tries to pit you verse other new players if it can. After you reach account level 12, you get thrown in with everyone else. So as HQ-21 & Harv72b said, you have been in protected MM until you hit account level 12 and you are now account level 13. See this like for the account levels; http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Account_Level

As others have mentioned, youtube videos are a good source of info. UrPeacekeeper, iChase, Notser, Lord Zath, Jingles are some of the more popular names out there that I like. They are dozens of people who have put out WoWs videos.

@hangglide42 put out a great series of posts here on the forum as well.  

Bouncing around to try out various lines is fine if you are looking for a line you like. Do note, that the various lines are roughly similar until Tier 4 or Tier 5. Then they really begin to show their differences. When you play Tier 1 (T1) ships, you will only see other T1 ships in battle. From T2 to T4, you will only see one tier higher or lower; T2 can see T2 or T3 ships, T3 can see T2-T4 ships,  and T4 can see T3-T5 ships. At T5, you start to see +2/-2 MM. So T5 can see T4-T7 ships, T6 can see T5-T8 ships, T7 can see T5-T9 ships, etc. The big jump is at T5 ships as they will only see T4 ships, when it is just T4 & T5. Otherwise, T5 ships can see any of the tiers from T5 to T7. Since this represents a big jump in capability of ships, I would recommend that when you get to your first T5 ship, jump back into co-op (PvE) and play long enough that you get used to seeing a T7 ship in your T5 ship so that you feel comfortable fighting that higher tier ship. Then go back to PvP and learn for fight players who are in ships two tiers higher. Bots are easier and more forgiving of mistakes than players and it can be disheartening to make a small mistake in a T5 and have some T7 send you right back to port. 

As for the differences between co-op and random battles. In co-op, bot are easier like I said earlier and they drive straight to objectives. You can get away with being more aggressive in co-op than you can in randoms. Showing a broadside to a bot is dangerous, but if the bot is focused on something else, you may not pay for it. Show your broadside to a player and you will likely get hit for citadels and big damage. Players are generally scanning for broadside ships to get in a devastating salvo on one. While in co-op, practice angling, which people will talk about in the videos and posts. Practice using the minimap. Practice shooting at priority targets, DDs, CL/CAs, BBs, CVs and keeping an eye out for that ship that gives you a broadside to exploit. Practice your angling and leading shots at distances. Basically, pretty much all you do in random battles, you can also practice in co-op battles. Some things like parking beside islands and the like that show up in random battles, do really apply in co-op battles. When you play random battles, the players will generally not drive straight like bots. In random battles, you need to be more cautious in your play than you can get away with in co-op. Both are good modes for different reasons and most people do at least a little of both modes.

This game has lots of depth, so don't be freaked out if at times you feel overwhelmed. As you go up in tiers, the ships get more and more abilities and separate from each other in how they are played. The wiki is a great resource on the rules and the ship. People here are almost all willing to help someone who is asking a question and not just ranting about some problem. We have people on the forum who are fellow newbies to people who have been here from the very beginning of the game. 

• Cool 2

[HRVAT]
Members
300 posts
6,124 battles
1 hour ago, Gurnski_3 said:

• find what you like, stick with this
  • dabble in others to learn them and because " know you enemy "
  • higher you go more experience player you meet
  • to play battleship is all learn how to angle and timey ou shot, you only get one round of shooting every 20-30s..make it count..learn to lead ship and learn when to use AP or HE
  • For destroyer....*ahem* ...my specialty...is my little toot boats ... :fish_haloween:... the white line for torpedo is a lie, do not believe it. People can dodge, when to do torpedo, got to think ahead. know you torpedo speed and distance from enemy and estimate where to place.... is videos on youtube and i play DD alot on my stream in my signature. down below

now to know what each boat role is what they good at....

1. CV = Aircraft Carrier : This bring death from above and scout enemy boat from distance for you team to shoot at and provide support for DD to win nodes. CV have torpedo planes and dive bombers...Japan CV know for many torpedos.... German CV Graf Zepplan know for AP Dive bomber who open you like can of tuna....  CV role at start of game is to get plane in air, scout for enemy DD and try to find targets alone from pack to take out with torpedo and bombs while scout enemy positions and use fighters to take on enemy CV fighters. ALso to try and kill enemy CV planes

2. BB = Battleship : provide mid range heavy BOOM to the cruisers and DD's, keep enemy push back away from nodes by busting open faces.  Knowing when to broadside fire all gun and angle bow on for defense... BB are to be about 10 km away from battle and push with team to secure nodes and take battle to enemy. Main goal is to delete enemy cruisers and suppress enemy BB's

3.  CA/CL = Cruiser : This you trigger happy ADHD group. These are the people who eat paste and cottonballs in school. They are the ones who always get detention and cannot spell past a 3rd grade level. All they know how to do is hide behind islands and spam RADAR key..... RADARADARADARADARADARADAR....when they do come out from behind islands is only when they have use radar so much the DD's on you team died of cancer from all the radar radiation....also known for spamming HE soo much it causes climate change.

4.  DD = Destroyer .... some call this Loli boat or underage boat...twisted sick people I tell you.  Destroyer is quick little tooter who job is to scout enemy team and maybe try to win node without dying from radation sickness and AK47 HE spam from cruiser hiding behind islands and peek out only too shoot when radar is going. Can launch torpedo who do big damage ......................when they hit.... not very accurate as alot of boat these days can dodge like Neo in the matrix.  So have to get in close to get some good torpedo on target to have any chance get very good damage. DD also have other role to find enemy DD and maybe try to kill them also...

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,042 posts

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/forum/123-new-player-guides/

Not everyone learns well from videos.

If you prefer the written word, start with the new players guides. I'd read all of the pinned threads and browse through the others.

You can ignore the ones by Quaffer. What does a sheep know about ships?

Members
4 posts
77 battles
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

As they both said, the first few battles, you are in battle vs bots (co-op or PvE) instead of humans. Once you had gathered 750 XP, you made account level 3 and got access to Random battles (PvP). Sixty of your sixty-four battles are in PvP. As you progress up the account levels, until account level 12, the matchmaking system (MM) tries to pit you verse other new players if it can. After you reach account level 12, you get thrown in with everyone else. So as HQ-21 & Harv72b said, you have been in protected MM until you hit account level 12 and you are now account level 13. See this like for the account levels; http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Account_Level

As others have mentioned, youtube videos are a good source of info. UrPeacekeeper, iChase, Notser, Lord Zath, Jingles are some of the more popular names out there that I like. They are dozens of people who have put out WoWs videos.

@hangglide42 put out a great series of posts here on the forum as well.  

Bouncing around to try out various lines is fine if you are looking for a line you like. Do note, that the various lines are roughly similar until Tier 4 or Tier 5. Then they really begin to show their differences. When you play Tier 1 (T1) ships, you will only see other T1 ships in battle. From T2 to T4, you will only see one tier higher or lower; T2 can see T2 or T3 ships, T3 can see T2-T4 ships,  and T4 can see T3-T5 ships. At T5, you start to see +2/-2 MM. So T5 can see T4-T7 ships, T6 can see T5-T8 ships, T7 can see T5-T9 ships, etc. The big jump is at T5 ships as they will only see T4 ships, when it is just T4 & T5. Otherwise, T5 ships can see any of the tiers from T5 to T7. Since this represents a big jump in capability of ships, I would recommend that when you get to your first T5 ship, jump back into co-op (PvE) and play long enough that you get used to seeing a T7 ship in your T5 ship so that you feel comfortable fighting that higher tier ship. Then go back to PvP and learn for fight players who are in ships two tiers higher. Bots are easier and more forgiving of mistakes than players and it can be disheartening to make a small mistake in a T5 and have some T7 send you right back to port. 

As for the differences between co-op and random battles. In co-op, bot are easier like I said earlier and they drive straight to objectives. You can get away with being more aggressive in co-op than you can in randoms. Showing a broadside to a bot is dangerous, but if the bot is focused on something else, you may not pay for it. Show your broadside to a player and you will likely get hit for citadels and big damage. Players are generally scanning for broadside ships to get in a devastating salvo on one. While in co-op, practice angling, which people will talk about in the videos and posts. Practice using the minimap. Practice shooting at priority targets, DDs, CL/CAs, BBs, CVs and keeping an eye out for that ship that gives you a broadside to exploit. Practice your angling and leading shots at distances. Basically, pretty much all you do in random battles, you can also practice in co-op battles. Some things like parking beside islands and the like that show up in random battles, do really apply in co-op battles. When you play random battles, the players will generally not drive straight like bots. In random battles, you need to be more cautious in your play than you can get away with in co-op. Both are good modes for different reasons and most people do at least a little of both modes.

This game has lots of depth, so don't be freaked out if at times you feel overwhelmed. As you go up in tiers, the ships get more and more abilities and separate from each other in how they are played. The wiki is a great resource on the rules and the ship. People here are almost all willing to help someone who is asking a question and not just ranting about some problem. We have people on the forum who are fellow newbies to people who have been here from the very beginning of the game. 

33 minutes ago, LadyAnesjka said:
  • find what you like, stick with this
  • dabble in others to learn them and because " know you enemy "
  • higher you go more experience player you meet
  • to play battleship is all learn how to angle and timey ou shot, you only get one round of shooting every 20-30s..make it count..learn to lead ship and learn when to use AP or HE
  • For destroyer....*ahem* ...my specialty...is my little toot boats ... :fish_haloween:... the white line for torpedo is a lie, do not believe it. People can dodge, when to do torpedo, got to think ahead. know you torpedo speed and distance from enemy and estimate where to place.... is videos on youtube and i play DD alot on my stream in my signature. down below

now to know what each boat role is what they good at....

1. CV = Aircraft Carrier : This bring death from above and scout enemy boat from distance for you team to shoot at and provide support for DD to win nodes. CV have torpedo planes and dive bombers...Japan CV know for many torpedos.... German CV Graf Zepplan know for AP Dive bomber who open you like can of tuna....  CV role at start of game is to get plane in air, scout for enemy DD and try to find targets alone from pack to take out with torpedo and bombs while scout enemy positions and use fighters to take on enemy CV fighters. ALso to try and kill enemy CV planes

2. BB = Battleship : provide mid range heavy BOOM to the cruisers and DD's, keep enemy push back away from nodes by busting open faces.  Knowing when to broadside fire all gun and angle bow on for defense... BB are to be about 10 km away from battle and push with team to secure nodes and take battle to enemy. Main goal is to delete enemy cruisers and suppress enemy BB's

3.  CA/CL = Cruiser : This you trigger happy ADHD group. These are the people who eat paste and cottonballs in school. They are the ones who always get detention and cannot spell past a 3rd grade level. All they know how to do is hide behind islands and spam RADAR key..... RADARADARADARADARADARADAR....when they do come out from behind islands is only when they have use radar so much the DD's on you team died of cancer from all the radar radiation....also known for spamming HE soo much it causes climate change.

4.  DD = Destroyer .... some call this Loli boat or underage boat...twisted sick people I tell you.  Destroyer is quick little tooter who job is to scout enemy team and maybe try to win node without dying from radation sickness and AK47 HE spam from cruiser hiding behind islands and peek out only too shoot when radar is going. Can launch torpedo who do big damage ......................when they hit.... not very accurate as alot of boat these days can dodge like Neo in the matrix.  So have to get in close to get some good torpedo on target to have any chance get very good damage. DD also have other role to find enemy DD and maybe try to kill them also...

21 minutes ago, Quaffer said:

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/forum/123-new-player-guides/

Not everyone learns well from videos.

If you prefer the written word, start with the new players guides. I'd read all of the pinned threads and browse through the others.

You can ignore the ones by Quaffer. What does a sheep know about ships?

Since it won't let me thumbs up your posts for some reason, I wanted to say thank you very for your responses :)

• Cool 2

[HRVAT]
Members
300 posts
6,124 battles
Just now, Gurnski_3 said:

Since it won't let me thumbs up your posts for some reason, I wanted to say thank you very for your responses :)

Hahaha it just mean you out of compliment for the day, you get to thumb up more tomorrow :P

[DAY]
Members
1,186 posts
11,759 battles

theres a guide section i this forum, check the pinned posts first, they may be surprisingly helpful

then check ichase's captain academy series

then look at wiki.wargaming.net for all the basic info

the wiki people are also working on a "for beginner" page last time i checked

last, perhaps consider finding a clan whose willing to take in new players

judging by your niconiconi profile pic, perhaps consider ARP community or CUTE community? we weebs are always friendly 

(these are both communities of 4/5 clans ranging from super competitive to completely casual, very active, and very friendly even to people not in their clan/community)

Edited by jason199506

Members
4 posts
77 battles
3 hours ago, jason199506 said:

theres a guide section i this forum, check the pinned posts first, they may be surprisingly helpful

then check ichase's captain academy series

then look at wiki.wargaming.net for all the basic info

the wiki people are also working on a "for beginner" page last time i checked

last, perhaps consider finding a clan whose willing to take in new players

judging by your niconiconi profile pic, perhaps consider ARP community or CUTE community? we weebs are always friendly 

(these are both communities of 4/5 clans ranging from super competitive to completely casual, very active, and very friendly even to people not in their clan/community)

Bet

Members
3,806 posts
14,122 battles

Howdy, and welcome aboard! If you want a good class for learning how to play WoWs, I recommend Battleships. They're the easiest class to play and they're more forgiving of mistakes. And as someone else on this thread suggested, play American or Japanese ships. They're not as gimmicky as most of the later nationalities are and are good ships as well.

Good luck and have fun!

[FML]
Members
1,767 posts
10,153 battles
13 hours ago, Gurnski_3 said:

Hi, welcome to WoWS.  I'm a former WoT player too, and whilst there are similarities, applying what you've learnt from WoT will mostly get you killed in WoWS.  They are quite different games.  

I strongly discourage you from running up the British Cruiser line to start with.  There are a few, easier but still quite fun, ship lines to start with to get a feel for the game, as per the below.  Otherwise, good luck!!

• Destroyers: American destroyers are the easiest to play - their fast firing guns, and torpedoes on both sides (at low tier) means that its a fast, fun run-and-gun style, with great smoke screens.  They are very forgiving - rush in, gun enemy destroyers, and if you win and live, then rush up to a battleship and shove him up with torps... once you get more experience, you can do all of those things better, faster, longer etc. 
  • Cruisers: French cruisers are probably the easiest to play at low-mid tiers. Load HE, shoot slow targets at near your max range to set them on fire - when they repair those fires, set more.  Dodge incoming shells (particularly from battleships) by slamming into full reverse and throwing the rudder over into a hard turn - then accelerate away again before the next salvo comes.  Use your long-range torpedos to shoot down narrow alleys where the enemy is coming from - sometimes you'll get a hit, and it'll be great. More fires!
    • DO NOT start on the British Cruiser line - these ships take detailed understanding and experience of the game mechanics in order to play; things like target selection, map positioning, map awareness, spotting mechanics, AP bounce and shatter mechanics, smoke screens, fire detection range in smoke, sonar and torpedo aim all to be functional. Experienced players even struggle with this line.  Steer clear.  
  • Battleships: 
    • British: These are sturdy battleships that have excellent HE direct damage and high fire chance - unlike most battleships, shooting HE at things will make them go boom. Because of that, and because they have decent armour protection generally, these battleships are easy to learn: aim well, and profit. 
    • German: Much stronger armour, but wonky/inaccurate main guns - you'll mostly be shooting AP shells at enemy battleships and cruisers.  However, your battleships have good to excellent secondary battery (particularly from Tier 7) and are a defining feature of the line.  Because they are meant to be played up close to the enemy, these ships are easier to aim, take solid damage, and encourage your team to push the capture point you're currently on, helping to win games. 
  • Aircraft carriers: Personally, I suggest avoiding them entirely for now - they are very different to play and hard to do well at (and carriers have a massively disproportionate impact on your team's chances of winning - do badly, and you'll keep losing).  Whilst the first American Carrier, Langley, is the best at Tier 4, the Japanese (IJN) tech tree carriers from Tier 5 and up are superior to massively superior to their American carriers (for no historical reason). 

A description of the various ship types is also below. 

Spoiler

Conceptually, the ship types - in a very general sense, with exceptions - fall into the following roles:

• Destroyers (DDs): Stealthy ninjas - they use their speed and concealment to set up ambush attacks on enemy capital ships with their torpedos, and they use their fast firing but low damage guns against other destroyers. 
    • Note: some DDs are better at killing enemy dds (like American DDs), and others are better at killing enemy capital ships with torpedos (like Japanese DDs) - this national flavour is common to this game, and you'll have to learn this as you go. 
  • Cruisers (CA/CLs): High damage-per-minute and accurate guns, but very squishy (ie, easy to kill) ships - their fast firing and moderate damage guns wreck destroyers and can put serious hurt into battleships if they are left unmolested... they are extremely vulnerable to enemy battleship guns in particular as they have no effective armour - instead, they must use hard cover (like islands) and smoke screens (including those deployed by friendly destroyers) to stay alive long enough to bring their firepower onto the enemy - caught out in the open, they do a lot of dying. 
    • Cruisers are possibly the hardest conventional class to do well in. 
    • CA = Heavy Cruiser (ie, armed wuth 8 inch guns or higher), and CLs = Light Cruiser (ie, armed with 6 inch guns or smaller). 
  • Battleships (BBs): High Alpha, usually low-ish damage per minute ships that can strike from  relatively long range - they are less accurate than cruisers, but by late tiers you dont really feel the difference. They have high hitpoints, and strong armour, but that does not make you immune to damage - torpedos, fires and battleship guns can all bring you down.  As you tend to be slow and not agile, make sure you are always near teammates in cruisers and destroyers who can help you screen faster/lighter enemies away from you.  
  • Aircraft carriers (CVs): A completely different style of play, more like an RTS like Command&Conquer than the FPS of the other styles.  Dominance of the air means that you can spot enemy ships, use dive bombers or torpedo bombers to attack enemy ships, and use your fighters to protect friendly ships from enemy carrier attacks.  
    • Carriers have a massively disproportionate impact on your team's chances of winning - do badly, and you'll keep losing.

Once you have a few more battles under your belt, I strongly encourage you to read the following: 

#StandardWords

Members
26 posts
575 battles

Glad I found this thread! I just started a few days ago and have reached level 13. Right now I'm playing two lines, German and USA cruisers and have been sticking with just the T1 and T2 ships. My plan is to not go to T3 until I've become really accustomed with the ships I currently play (Hermelin & Dresden, Erie and Chester). I've was playing a lot of random and noticed that I was facing a lot more bots than real players until the last 3 or 4 games. Those last 3 games have just been a total wipe out for me and I could not understand why it was so hard to get hits on live players when I was doing well against the live players I did face in the earlier games. Now I know part of the reason why, I was under the impression (the wrong one) that I was facing players who were at the same skill level as myself. But if what I understand that some of you have said in this thread is true, then I actually facing a fair amount of players whose skill levels may be miles above mine. This kind of puts newbies like myself at a bit of a disadvantage, but hey, those are the breaks I guess and I'm just bullheaded enough to keep banging against that wall till I bust through.

I've bookmarked Quaffer's player's guide and have read through it a couple of times and refer to it often. I've also been watching videos by Notser and NoZoupForYou. and have read some of Little White Mouse's ship reviews. I've also have read a number of posts on this forum and have checked out the WoWs wiki. All good stuff. My goal is to advance up the cruiser line and learn the DD line as well. So any additional tips or advice for us newbies that hasn't been covered here, especially how to survive and rack up some kills in the lower tier random games would be much appreciated.

Thanks all and thanks to Gurnski_3 for starting this thread.

[PVE]
Members
9,803 posts
7,492 battles
3 minutes ago, 3Sheets2_theWind said:

Glad I found this thread! I just started a few days ago and have reached level 13. Right now I'm playing two lines, German and USA cruisers and have been sticking with just the T1 and T2 ships. My plan is to not go to T3 until I've become really accustomed with the ships I currently play (Hermelin & Dresden, Erie and Chester). I've was playing a lot of random and noticed that I was facing a lot more bots than real players until the last 3 or 4 games. Those last 3 games have just been a total wipe out for me and I could not understand why it was so hard to get hits on live players when I was doing well against the live players I did face in the earlier games. Now I know part of the reason why, I was under the impression (the wrong one) that I was facing players who were at the same skill level as myself. But if what I understand that some of you have said in this thread is true, then I actually facing a fair amount of players whose skill levels may be miles above mine. This kind of puts newbies like myself at a bit of a disadvantage, but hey, those are the breaks I guess and I'm just bullheaded enough to keep banging against that wall till I bust through.

I've bookmarked Quaffer's player's guide and have read through it a couple of times and refer to it often. I've also been watching videos by Notser and NoZoupForYou. and have read some of Little White Mouse's ship reviews. I've also have read a number of posts on this forum and have checked out the WoWs wiki. All good stuff. My goal is to advance up the cruiser line and learn the DD line as well. So any additional tips or advice for us newbies that hasn't been covered here, especially how to survive and rack up some kills in the lower tier random games would be much appreciated.

Thanks all and thanks to Gurnski_3 for starting this thread.

Well, when you are playing T1 in the normal player pool, you also can run into the T1 only players. There are a group of players who play nothing but T1 battles. Thousands upon thousands of T1 battles. They like the balance of T1 ships and the uncluttered nature of T1 play. There are no torps, no DDs, no BBs, no CVs, no special consumables, etc. 

I'm not saying don't play T1, but just be aware that there are some people who do nothing but play T1 battles.

• Cool 1