Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RustyOldFart

Should Destroyers Have Sea Mines?

Should Mines be added to the game?  

114 members have voted

This poll is closed for new votes
  1. 1. Should there be mines?

    • Yes
      22
    • No
      59
    • Mines would be used to troll ships?
      7
    • Who cares
      4
    • Bacon
      22

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/25/2018 at 03:29 AM

59 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

649
[ZOO]
Members
3,783 posts

 I think quite some time ago I saw a post on naval mines.  Now I'm sure this could go either one or two ways of players using them to troll the cap points.  But, should they even be added into the game to make it more interesting?  All though mines in reality have the capability of quite literally sinking a ship in one explosion.  I don't think that if mines were added into the game they would be allowed to just completely obliterate a ship.  It would just be like an annoying HE shell going off.  But it would give the destroyer another option to use in game as means of damage.  Torpedoes take almost a minute even upwards of two minutes to load.  The shells don't do that much damage.  Personally I wouldn't mind if they were added in with limited capabilities.  The damage should be far less than the worst torpedo in the game.  That would be my idea.  If they were a fire and forget 1 time use?

 

Please keep the conversation CIVIL.  Thank you.

300px-Mina_morska_typu_M_1908-39.jpg

Edited by torpsRus
  • Bad 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41
[WOLF1]
Members
66 posts
3,814 battles

 Nope 

edit: I think somebody suggested it before and WG said no dice.

Edited by js23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,475
[HINON]
Supertester
7,652 posts
8,016 battles

One dd already has mines. It’s called the Sims :Smile_teethhappy:

But seriously, her torps go so slow they might as well be mines. There’s a reason her torps are nicknamed “seamines” lol.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,167
[ARGSY]
Members
8,831 posts
5,932 battles

Only as part of a scenario, ideally one in which the minesweepers would have to be protected. Failure to do this risks unpleasant things happening to your ship, especially if they are bottom-dwelling magnetic-influence mines.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,599
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,347 posts
11,284 battles

No, they would merely facilitate skill-less area denial, penalize pushing over much in a game which already discourages it and generally have no place outside of scenarios.

Ships generally didn't lay mines in the middle of an action.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,462
[PNG]
Supertester, Beta Testers
5,777 posts
6,830 battles

There were sea mines in Dunkirk Scenario. The problem is they never go away. Needs to be a balancing for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,241
Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

Mines are area denial weapons. Torpedo spam already does that.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,829
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,097 posts
3,895 battles

Should just line the map border with mines.

 

And every 5 minutes, move them in one square.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,595 posts
1,699 battles
4 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Should just line the map border with mines.

 

And every 5 minutes, move them in one square.

Time delayed for some of us wayward drivers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
729
[-BRS-]
[-BRS-]
Members
2,217 posts
15,101 battles
9 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Should just line the map border with mines.

 

And every 5 minutes, move them in one square.

 :Smile_teethhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
649
[ZOO]
Members
3,783 posts
15 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

There were sea mines in Dunkirk Scenario. The problem is they never go away. Needs to be a balancing for that.

Well for example theyd have a certain set time limit and then they would disappear.  Something of that nature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
639 posts
12,822 battles

A ship laying mines does so at slow speed, not chugging away at 30 kts and throwing them over the side.

God no. We don't need another toy for passive players to use to avoid a fight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
649
[ZOO]
Members
3,783 posts
Just now, Wombatmetal said:

As if we don't have enough team kills, lets add more

As I said there would have to be perimeters set where one would be friendly mines do not effect friendly ships.  I already know the problem with friendly torpedoes we get that already enough in game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
17 posts
3,413 battles

Nope no sea mines please, bad idea. I dont see WG having mine layers in this game, and its unwise to drop mines in action. Dont even want to mention running into friendly mines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,645
[INTEL]
Members
6,950 posts
28,076 battles

No, Nope. nyet, ie. não, nein. ei, ne, non, nee, nej.

And in plain English, no way José.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
337
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,265 posts
8,981 battles
51 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

 I think quite some time ago I saw a post on naval mines.  Now I'm sure this could go either one or two ways of players using them to troll the cap points.  But, should they even be added into the game to make it more interesting?  All though mines in reality have the capability of quite literally sinking a ship in one explosion.  I don't think that if mines were added into the game they would be allowed to just completely obliterate a ship.  It would just be like an annoying HE shell going off.  But it would give the destroyer another option to use in game as means of damage.  Torpedoes take almost a minute even upwards of two minutes to load.  The shells don't do that much damage.  Personally I wouldn't mind if they were added in with limited capabilities.  The damage should be far less than the worst torpedo in the game.  That would be my idea.  If they were a fire and forget 1 time use?

 

Please keep the conversation CIVIL.  Thank you.

300px-Mina_morska_typu_M_1908-39.jpg

The number of players that have no respect for naval warfare is astounding. Likely so, naval mines would drastically diversify destroyers and bring into being a new meaning of area denial.

Furthermore, naval mines would free up the WoWs balancing team regarding destroyers and Aircraft Carriers, redirecting the focus from torpedoes to Mines. Destroyers with speed could focus on mines while future CVs could replace DBs with mine layers. The opportunities presented by mines are immense.

Edited by Crokodone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
359
[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,797 posts
10,740 battles

Ummm, No. There's enough DD drivers that have problems with torpedoing friendlies. I don't want to think about what some idiots would do to their own teams with them.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,398
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,443 posts
10,691 battles

No but they should have depth charges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
649
[ZOO]
Members
3,783 posts
8 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Ummm, No. There's enough DD drivers that have problems with torpedoing friendlies. I don't want to think about what some idiots would do to their own teams with them.

I did ask to keep the conversation CIVIL.

  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,466 posts
9,648 battles
6 minutes ago, paradat said:

No but they should have depth charges.

Mines, much like detonations are a bad idea. We are stuck with one, let's not add another. 

As for depth charges, that supposes we have submarines in the game(yet another bad idea).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
706
[NWNG]
Members
2,626 posts
4,532 battles

Another area denial weapon, that'll be responsible for team killing. There is a far higher chance of your team hitting them than the enemy. NO THANK YOU!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×