Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HooplaJones

50% Off wow take a look! 30% off = meh

28 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

183
[NOOBS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
470 posts
11,964 battles

First off thanks for the discount,  you had me checking every day for 50% off now its 30% and that is just not gonna get me to part with my cash.  As an owner of over 20 premium boats what I look for is 

1) Value,  first and foremost for the price of some of these boats I can purchase another game.

2) fits my gameplay style or has a unique play style like Asashio or Atlanta

3) Uniqueness   the cool factor

I was going to jump on the Mass BB but I only had 9 hours left of premium and you wouldn't let me buy it, (uniqueness out the window)  Glad this happened because in retrospect if I wanted a T8 BB with secondaries, I already have the Bismark.  So no Mass for me.

Anyway,  I like the deals just wish they were just a little better.

 

  • Cool 4
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,789
Members
9,976 posts

Don't think they've discounted a Tier 8 50% since the Gamersgate flash sale. Only reason I have the Derpitz....:Smile_teethhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
186
[INTEL]
Members
654 posts
7,572 battles

Someone mentioned that the Tier 8's are 30% off and the lower ones are 50% off.

The Atago is worth it at 30% off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,462
[-K-]
Members
5,295 posts
9,114 battles
4 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

Someone mentioned that the Tier 8's are 30% off and the lower ones are 50% off.

The Atago is worth it at 30% off.

Exactly.  Just like tech tree discounts, the higher the tier of the ship(s), the lower the discount becomes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,015
[ARGSY]
Members
6,343 posts
4,275 battles
1 minute ago, ClassicLib said:

Someone mentioned that the Tier 8's are 30% off and the lower ones are 50% off.

This is the pattern I have noticed as well. 

I wonder what's next. We've had two battleships and two heavy cruisers in a row, so probably a CL or DD next. Sims or Perth would be filthy cheap at half price. I wonder how much an HSF Harekaze or HSF Graf Spee would go for if you were selling her for the ship and port slot alone (although for all I know, the licensing agreement may not allow that; she may have to go with her captain or not at all). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
2,987 posts
4,421 battles

lower too much and you won't get profits. i too would KILL for a tier8 50% discount.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,198
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,811 posts
10,343 battles

$34 for Prinz Eugen.

$21 for Atlanta.

 

Chance that Eugen is 62% more worthwhile, enjoyable and productive than Atlanta?

Not much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
186
[INTEL]
Members
654 posts
7,572 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

This is the pattern I have noticed as well. 

I wonder what's next. We've had two battleships and two heavy cruisers in a row, so probably a CL or DD next. Sims or Perth would be filthy cheap at half price. I wonder how much an HSF Harekaze or HSF Graf Spee would go for if you were selling her for the ship and port slot alone (although for all I know, the licensing agreement may not allow that; she may have to go with her captain or not at all). 

For a DD I'm guessing Kidd, Anshan or Gallant will be one of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,015
[ARGSY]
Members
6,343 posts
4,275 battles
2 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

For a DD I'm guessing Kidd, Anshan or Gallant will be one of them. 

If it's the Gallant I'm going to headdesk (as I did with the Warspite), but I got the Anshan in one of those stupidly cheap Steam bundles so that's fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
286
[PLPT]
Members
636 posts
6,844 battles
16 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

lower too much and you won't get profits.

Gross margin on virtual goods is near 100%. wth you taking about?

Edited by n00bot
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
2,987 posts
4,421 battles
1 minute ago, n00bot said:

Gross margin on virtual goods is near 100%. 

that's not good enough,must go higher.

Edited by Cruxdei

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
186
[INTEL]
Members
654 posts
7,572 battles
15 minutes ago, n00bot said:

Gross margin on virtual goods is near 100%. wth you taking about?

If it were only so.

It assumes there are no ongoing expenses and that the original development and other expenses have been recovered.  There are certainly ongoing expenses here.  Even excluding fixed costs, gross profit can never be 100% because there is always a cost to selling something, even if the supply is unlimited.

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
311
[BROOK]
Members
1,618 posts
1 hour ago, n00bot said:

Gross margin on virtual goods is near 100%. wth you taking about?

So the games WG makes a living off just all fell out a tree?  What about the 5000 employees? What do they do? 

 

:cap_haloween:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
569 posts
10 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

So the games WG makes a living off just all fell out a tree?  What about the 5000 employees? What do they do? 

 

:cap_haloween:

According to the general Population of this Forum 

NOTHING RIGHT

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,231
[WOLF3]
Members
6,465 posts
2,414 battles
1 hour ago, Cruxdei said:

lower too much and you won't get profits. i too would KILL for a tier8 50% discount.

Once development is amortized, there is no cost of production for pixels.**  For a price floor, we're talking about brand valuation and other such intangibles.  Essentially, WG's sense of self-worth (a.k.a. ego).

For instance, the Steam Bundles apparently were a mistake.  Priced too low.  We weren't supposed to see them.  But did WG make a profit?  Heck yeah!  I wager that they made out like bandits, and that this current sale is the result.  I'm both poor and a tightwad, but I bought those Steam Bundles, and I could be moved again .. were the price right.

C'mon Leningrad!

 

** Yeah, there's ongoing distribution/operating and advertising costs, but those are small compared to item prices.  Figure $5 for the sake of argument.

Edited by iDuckman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
2,987 posts
4,421 battles
2 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Once development is amortized, there is no cost of production for pixels.  For a price floor, we're talking about brand valuation and other such intangibles.  Essentially, WG's sense of self-worth (a.k.a. ego).

For instance, the Steam Bundles apparently were a mistake.  Priced too low.  We weren't supposed to see them.  But did WG make a profit?  Heck yeah!  I wager that they made out like bandits, and that this current sale is the result.  I'm both poor and a tightwad, but I bought those Steam Bundles, and I could be moved again .. were the price right.

C'mon Leningrad!

the price for pixel ships here are big and that's exactly what you said,there is no "cost" after the ship development is done,we are paying that price because it's WG brand,i can't ignore too the quadrillions numbers of taxes that we have here in brazil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,231
[WOLF3]
Members
6,465 posts
2,414 battles
1 minute ago, Cruxdei said:

taxes

Yeah, that might have something to do with it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,050
Members
3,797 posts
14,092 battles
2 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Exactly.  Just like tech tree discounts, the higher the tier of the ship(s), the lower the discount becomes.

Yeah, the more expensive the bote, the lower the discount percent is. Whatta deal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,015
[ARGSY]
Members
6,343 posts
4,275 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

Once development is amortized, there is no cost of production for pixels.

The specific production cost of an intangible element such as these ships is, and must be, zero - no resources are consumed in its creation, and production and supply are instantaneous and always equal to demand.

The development cost breakdown for a single ship would be interesting to know, as is the number of units technically required to amortize. I suspect the ships we are seeing on special at the moment are among those whose research costs ARE regarded as amortized.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
496
[FML]
Members
1,767 posts
10,138 battles
2 hours ago, ClassicLib said:

If it were only so.

It assumes there are no ongoing expenses and that the original development and other expenses have been recovered.  There are certainly ongoing expenses here.  Even excluding fixed costs, gross profit can never be 100% because there is always a cost to selling something, even if the supply is unlimited.

It’s the difference between marginal cost and average total cost. 

The marginal cost to produce each individual ship sold after the first is effectively 0; however, the average total cost (COGS+overheads incl wages, rent etc) would decrease per unit sold.

1 hour ago, ReddNekk said:

Yeah, the more expensive the bote, the lower the discount percent is. Whatta deal!

So, perhaps keeping the total doubloons saved roughly the same?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
286
[PLPT]
Members
636 posts
6,844 battles
4 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

So the games WG makes a living off just all fell out a tree?  What about the 5000 employees? What do they do? 

 

:cap_haloween:

Quick accounting lesson for the forum: gross revenue doesn’t include fixed costs like designing the ship, only Cost Of Goods Sold for things like running the premium store (cheap). It’s the most important factor for profitability. Of course they need to recoup the design costs but that is a fixed expense on the books, not part of COGS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
115
[A_51]
Members
277 posts
13,064 battles

I had been very close to triggering on the Atago even when it was at full price.  At 30% off, it became a no-brainer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,505
[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,491 posts
3,435 battles
11 hours ago, awiggin said:

Don't think they've discounted a Tier 8 50% since the Gamersgate flash sale. Only reason I have the Derpitz....:Smile_teethhappy:

Santa Crates say Hello. $5 USD guarantees a chance at every Premium in-game except for Ranked/FXP/Clan/Arsenal ships.

Though to be fair, those are more of a lootbox than a pure sale, but for those who already own most of the ships, it's a cheaper overall means of knocking out the remaining needed ships. :cap_book:

And if one did the math, the Armada bundles are technically a massive discount (for those who need 2 or more ships from a particular nation, if not from the mega bundle). It's just the initial sticker shock that scares off many. The Armada bundles' values did go down too though, given the changes to Doubloon compensation for duplicate Premium ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×