Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Motivation Monday - Picking up your teammates

19 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
900 posts
5,943 battles

Image result for uss birmingham

*pictured - USS Birmingham (right) pulling alongside USS Princeton for firefighting and evacuating casualties during Marine landings at Leyte Gulf(10/24/1944)*

When your teammate or team is in trouble, how do you help them and support the effort?

Often times, whenever I see a teammate in trouble and taking enemy fire while losing health, I try to help them out by sailing close-by to draw their attention.

By buying time, I can save my teammate by allowing them to drop off detection and live to fight another day.

This prevents the sinking of one of my allied vessels and prevents giving the enemy team precious points.

If playing a destroyer, I try to conceal them with smoke while laying down a torpedo spread to break up the enemy formation.

How do you help pick up your teammate and let them live to fight another day?

"Spontaneity of effort replaces chaos, confusion gives way to achievement." -  Holland P. Smith. US Marine Corps

#motivationmonday

#anchorsaweigh

1015450271.png

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
1,256 posts
8,868 battles

IMO, the only ship that can really help another ship is a DD, using smoke. 

If you run in with a cruiser, they finish off the other ship and you're next to get focused. If it's a cruiser in trouble, and you're in a battleship, they kill the cruiser first and you're next. 

The one and only way that a BB can save a CA/CL would be to slide so close to the one in trouble, that the incoming fire mostly hits you. Communicating your intentions in randoms is just futile.

A DD using smoke is the only viable way, and only if no radar is present, which we all know is rampant at high tier.

Speaking of communication, when will the list of commands(by pressing B) be somewhat useful? The " good luck and have fun" is useless. If you're relying on luck, you're already useless. The expletive one is also a waste. Much more useful comments could either replace these or be added.

Edited by _Rumple_
  • Cool 1

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
23 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

*pictured - USS Birmingham (right) pulling alongside USS Princeton for firefighting and evacuating casualties during Marine landings at Leyte Gulf(10/24/1944)*

When your teammate or team is in trouble, how do you help them and support the effort?

Often times, whenever I see a teammate in trouble and taking enemy fire while losing health, I try to help them out by sailing close-by to draw their attention.

By buying time, I can save my teammate by allowing them to drop off detection and live to fight another day.

This prevents the sinking of one of my allied vessels and prevents giving the enemy team precious points.

If playing a destroyer, I try to conceal them with smoke while laying down a torpedo spread to break up the enemy formation.

"Spontaneity of effort replaces chaos, confusion gives way to achievement." -  Holland P. Smith. US Marine Corps

#motivationmonday

#anchorsaweigh

1015450271.png

Gotta keep plugging away at the game, I'm in the process of buying back all of my researching ships in the tech tree, tier 9 and as well as in the process of working on the buy back for all of my tier 10 ships.  Slowly but surely getting there.  But real life building my forge is slow going blah.  Waiting on a plasma cutter to make some cuts.  

• Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,984 battles

Playing in division or in CB/Ranked requires a degree of coordination. Even then, that's at most 3 ships out of 12 on your side. Most players don't use chat save to grind salt. there had been times it's been 1 vs 23. Try and suggest a plan of action?  Try and call back a yolo? Try to help someone in trouble? Typically it's far too late/too far to help the guy short of tanking for him. The only practical way is to cover them with smoke, but I've seen ships when you cover them in smoke, decide to sit there and go pew pew, rather than breaking off contact and re positioning themselves. So for Random,, it's pretty much a case of every ship for himself, despite requiring a modicum of coordination to win.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,603 posts
4,032 battles
1 hour ago, _Rumple_ said:

Communicating your intentions in randoms is just futile.

Last night, running my one game in Indianapolis for a crate, I was on a flank with an Akatsuki, Cleveland and Gascogne.  As we approached A cap, I told the DD if he smoked up, I'd roll into the smoke, drop radar and support him in the cap.

He did, and I did.  And the cap was clear, we took it easily.

Flip side of the coin - the Cleveland didn't engage, and the Gascogne just barreled right through, completely ignoring the fact that he was the anchor for the flank. 

Spoiler

I got nuked almost immediately after taking the cap since the enemy couldn't see the Akatsuki, the Cleveland hung back hiding in islands and the Gascogne drove deep into enemy territory all by his lonesome self.  The Gascogne got focused, and the Cleveland ended up being rammed by the opposing Cleveland that had almost no health left (our Cleve was well over half, and in full reverse at the time).

So it isn't completely futile.  But it does really help if more players jump in and work with you.

• Cool 1

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles

I see some negative or narrow outlooks here. Every ship can help any other ship, but it's highly situational and one has to do a very quick risk vs. reward.

Playing a BB, even slow BB's, I've been able to intercept pursuing enemies that we're hunting my CV. Knowing my CV has a greatly reduced concealment than I do and making sure I am 1) hitting them 2) not going dark, they are forced to deal with me while my CV repositions and/or gets away, even if I die.

Being mid range in a BB, I've also flushed caps for our DD's. Meaning if radar is popped, I will push the cap hard, our DD cycles out drops detection then comes back in, and now I am taking the fire while we are still capping and our DD is not being touched (they tend to like this btw).

In CA/CL's, it's even easier to break away from a damage role to that of support AA or a DD screener/hunter for BB's. Or even, again highly situational, a cap pusher.

True, most of these will make you take a hit to your average damage and if pushing caps, it will most certainly take a toll on your survival. However, this is where that risk vs. reward comes in and especially the team mentality is at play.

I know there have been games when I could have gotten 2 or even 3 times the damage in the cruiser I was playing, but with no kills. Instead I end up with 60kish (below server average in some cases) but with 3 solo kills and why? Because 3 DD's were actively hunting my BB's and I was the only one screening them. All the other Cruisers were farming damage.

I don't mind the hit to my stats though. I compete against myself, so there's that. lol

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
1,256 posts
8,868 battles
1 hour ago, BURN_Miner said:

I see some negative or narrow outlooks here. Every ship can help any other ship, but it's highly situational and one has to do a very quick risk vs. reward.

Playing a BB, even slow BB's, I've been able to intercept pursuing enemies that we're hunting my CV. Knowing my CV has a greatly reduced concealment than I do and making sure I am 1) hitting them 2) not going dark, they are forced to deal with me while my CV repositions and/or gets away, even if I die.

Being mid range in a BB, I've also flushed caps for our DD's. Meaning if radar is popped, I will push the cap hard, our DD cycles out drops detection then comes back in, and now I am taking the fire while we are still capping and our DD is not being touched (they tend to like this btw).

In CA/CL's, it's even easier to break away from a damage role to that of support AA or a DD screener/hunter for BB's. Or even, again highly situational, a cap pusher.

True, most of these will make you take a hit to your average damage and if pushing caps, it will most certainly take a toll on your survival. However, this is where that risk vs. reward comes in and especially the team mentality is at play.

I know there have been games when I could have gotten 2 or even 3 times the damage in the cruiser I was playing, but with no kills. Instead I end up with 60kish (below server average in some cases) but with 3 solo kills and why? Because 3 DD's were actively hunting my BB's and I was the only one screening them. All the other Cruisers were farming damage.

I don't mind the hit to my stats though. I compete against myself, so there's that. lol

I believe the OP was talking about how to immediately save someone versus what you should do while playing a certain class to help your team win. That's the way I took it to mean. Not denigrating your comments; just feel we are talking about apples and oranges, so to speak.

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles

I come and help the people out of position, die, then get told I was the reason we lost. No thanks, I'll help people that want help.

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles
1 hour ago, BURN_Miner said:

You also know you are in a slow BB and position yourself appropriately. There is no helping a New York or Wyoming on the far edges of the mab border hugging when the friendly cap is being contested.

That is one of the most important concepts I think a lot of new BB players don't grasp. Position.   

• Cool 1

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
900 posts
5,943 battles
9 minutes ago, _Rumple_ said:

I believe the OP was talking about how to immediately save someone versus what you should do while playing a certain class to help your team win. That's the way I took it to mean. Not denigrating your comments; just feel we are talking about apples and oranges, so to speak.

Yes, I was alluding to generally helping your team or individual teammates get out of a bind or with the battle effort.

Too many times I see players just doing their own thing and farming random damage without any type of direction.

When I queue up for battle, I think about the strategy of how I can contribute to a victory first before focusing on farming damage or earning achievements.

Overall, any assistance or self-sacrifice of damage, XP, or even ship that contributes to a victory is a plus in my book.

I know this may be hard to swallow because not all players work towards cooperation, but in the moments were the team is working together, the rewards can be mutually beneficial.

"In order to complete your mission objectives, you have to keep moving forward...always!" - Kurt Chew-Een Lee, US Marine Corps

#anchorsaweigh

1015450271.png

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles

Yes, but people want to have to want to learn. As we all know there is a large number of players that queue up to just shoot at anything, friendlies included. 

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles
4 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

#motivationmonday

#anchorsaweigh

1015450271.png

It would be pretty awesome if allies could help fire fighting in the game by being neaby like the ship in the picture hosing the carrier down. Or maybe a certain cruisers or DD being able to do that function would be interesting. Actual support play.

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
1,256 posts
8,868 battles
2 minutes ago, firemedic1428 said:

Yes, but people want to have to want to learn. As we all know there is a large number of players that queue up to just shoot at anything, friendlies included. 

Yes, but there is co-op for those players that want easy mode. I am fine with that...and if they make a habit of shooting friendlies, they turn pink and are eventually relegated to co-op anyway if they continue doing dmg to their own team.

[SIDE]
Members
1,256 posts
8,868 battles
8 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

It would be pretty awesome if allies could help fire fighting in the game by being neaby like the ship in the picture hosing the carrier down. Or maybe a certain cruisers or DD being able to do that function would be interesting. Actual support play.

That's actually a pretty interesting idea...however, it wouldn't work. It negates the effectiveness of how some ships get dmg.

To elaborate, take Zao for example. A large part of Zao's dmg totals come from fires. Catching a ship on fire, waiting on the repair, then catching the same ship on fire again and stacking fires is important. Cruisers don't have the massive alpha strikes of BB's and need fires to do sustained dmg.

Nice idea, but flawed.

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles
18 minutes ago, _Rumple_ said:

Yes, but there is co-op for those players that want easy mode. I am fine with that...and if they make a habit of shooting friendlies, they turn pink and are eventually relegated to co-op anyway if they continue doing dmg to their own team.

I agree 100%

[ICBM]
Members
338 posts
5,104 battles

Last night I had a z46 calling for help while knife-fighting a z52 in C cap. I was in grozovoi and was able to close and put effective fire on the Z52, causing plenty of damage and forcing him out of the cap, allowing the z46 to cap. 

RU dds and Cruisers are very good for assisting DDs this way. They can drive off opposing DDs, allowing green dds to go dark and cap or escape. 

Edited by mrieder79
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this