You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

A Tale of Two Battleships

10 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
2,299 posts
9,869 battles

Can ships be cursed?

Having gotten the Normandie, I had some fun playing it and did OK. I heard good things about the Lyon so, when I had the points I got it and put the special French captain into it expecting to kick-[edited]. For some reason I couldn't win a game. I mostly free-XP'd to get the upgrades but kept being on the losing team. Even when I did well, the team lost. My win-rate was sub 25% at one point. I struggled since to get it up to 37%. (Wouldn't my WR be higher if I was AFK every match?) I did earn enough XP to get the Richelieu, which I had also heard good things about...

Got the Richelieu, with a 3 pt captain (thought about moving the captain from Lyon but have these ridiculous hopes I can turn things around if I just persevere). Must be masochistic tendencies). Played some Co-op games for familiarization and did OK (it was Co-op, hard not to do well) so decided to jump into the deep end of the pool in randoms. Played a few games and won all three (MM put me on the winning team mostly, my contribution was not the deciding factor). The matches all had CVs which mostly left me alone but I decided to get the B hull using more FreeXP. Won the following three games (actually felt I did contribute in a couple). WR 100%!!  Played a few more games and have a 6pt captain now. Have lost some but am still winning more than losing. Still a small sample size but...

If it isn't a (MM) curse, why can I do so much better in Richelieu than Lyon?

[RKLES]
Members
7,214 posts
9,006 battles

Sounds like you are lacking the Aiming Mod 1 upgrade, am I right? My shells were scattering all over the place with Lyon until I added that on then my hit ratio went up on it. Also be sure to be using AP shells as well.

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
136 posts
5,040 battles

Sometimes RNG just hates. I know the feeling all to well. There are DAYS where I have averaged 150k dmg per game in every ship I played and couldn't buy a win, even with 2-3+ kills per, some with a Kraken even. Others, I seem to get on great teams and seemingly every salvo (in a BB) get a Dev strike or at least 1 cit. But like you it seems, I have gotten ships that just don't work for me, for whatever the reason.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
2,299 posts
9,869 battles
36 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Sounds like you are lacking the Aiming Mod 1 upgrade, am I right?

Have to check but I pretty sure I have that upgrade. Yeah the shell scatter can be very frustrating (Rich has a bad case of that too) and my aim can be bad but with the Lyon, even when I do well, getting multiple citadels, the team still loses. My team gets all the potatoes and their team gets all the Rank 1-10 players. My team gets a couple of AFKs. The kind of teams where me getting 65K damage puts me at the top of the team results.

Edited by Sabot_100

[FFLY]
Members
80 posts
4,425 battles
On 7/23/2018 at 1:24 PM, Sabot_100 said:

Have to check but I pretty sure I have that upgrade. Yeah the shell scatter can be very frustrating (Rich has a bad case of that too) and my aim can be bad but with the Lyon, even when I do well, getting multiple citadels, the team still loses. My team gets all the potatoes and their team gets all the Rank 1-10 players. My team gets a couple of AFKs. The kind of teams where me getting 65K damage puts me at the top of the team results.

I had a game this week where I was in a DD and pushed to fast and got surrounded by three cruiser and died in the first two minutes of battle.  I had received 200 base xp for the battle and I still finished on top of my team in first place.  I should have taken a screenshot of it for proof

[70]
Members
974 posts
3,846 battles

Sounds like my QE which just refused to hit targets, which my Bayern does barely adequately.

[USCGC]
Members
127 posts
8,219 battles

I have the Normandie now and so far I'd say that is the way the French line seems to work.  I'm used to playing the Montana where everything just works.  I'll persevere a while longer before giving up, there are some games where everything seems to come together for the ships.  I don't want to waste free xp or gold doing conversions on these flammable kerosene soaked wood decks, or so it seems.  I have never had such fire hazard on any other line of ships like these.  Put one fire out and most likely(9 out of 10 times) the next fire will sink you.  I'll grind through a few more ships and see how it goes.

[CVA16]
Members
2,299 posts
9,869 battles

Finally up the Republique (barely, just a few CoOP games to learn the ropes) and the curse continues. So many salvos end up with geysers all around the target but no hits.  Thought I would finally be done with that after the Alsace frustration (actually cut back on my secondary build to make the main guns hit better). Still, a very small sample size so hopefully things will change. If I actually plotted my dispersion on the entire French BB line (like LWM does) I'm sure it would look like a donut with a nice ship sized hole in the middle.:Smile_sceptic:

[CVA16]
Members
2,299 posts
9,869 battles

Having ground up the French BB line, always thinking things will improve in the next tier, I'm pretty sure my dispersion pattern looks like this.

1489331996_dispersion_FrenchBB.png.d6fc2cc041126bf03facee7d50010757.png

Edited by Sabot_100

[WOLF9]
Members
3,251 posts
On 7/23/2018 at 1:23 PM, SnipeySnipes said:

Sometimes RNG just hates. I know the feeling all to well. There are DAYS where I have averaged 150k dmg per game in every ship I played and couldn't buy a win, even with 2-3+ kills per, some with a Kraken even. Others, I seem to get on great teams and seemingly every salvo (in a BB) get a Dev strike or at least 1 cit. But like you it seems, I have gotten ships that just don't work for me, for whatever the reason.

Oh dear god yes...

Had a match yesterday in Cossack.   3 Cossacks per team, lol.   I spawned front and center on land of Fire in a 3 cap match.    Headed for B, and that island hoping to ambush the reds charging South.

CV makes a beeline for me.  (Co-op, so detection makes 0 difference)  in the space of a few seconds, I eat a torp, get bombed for nearly all my remaining health- and 2 fires;  and get sunk by a single HE shell from the red Cossack.   All before I could even fire a shot or pop smoke.

My entire contribution to the game was a single spotted ribbon.   And I WASN'T the first to die.   One of our other Cossacks got nuked even faster.

That was my last game for the night.