You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Gax_

Game familiarity through play.

13 comments in this topic

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

I am a new player. Started 5-11-18. Less then 1000 battles so far. But one of the things Ive noticed is (especially since im playing mostyl tier 5 ships right now.) That with the more I play a map the more familiar I am with its stengths and weakness. Where the hidden cap points are when I'm playing DD's. What islands I can use to influence what areas when I am playing BB's and CA/CL. Where to position my planes to spot enemy DD's in the usual cap spots. 

This is also my biggest problem with the upper tier matches is not knowing where on the map to go because out in the open your screwed more often then not unless you can angle. But angling can only delay the inevitable if you can't change the sitiation. So if I look like Im fumbling about in the upper tier matches I promise I will get better the more familiar I get with the maps and advanced tactics used in upper tier matches. 

So the best advice I can give newer players is play alot of ships in the same tiers so you can get familiar with the maps and the different play styles. It will help with your confidence it certainly has mine. 

Your fellow shipmate Sped_Gax 

• Cool 3

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
564 posts
5,215 battles
1 hour ago, Sped_Gax said:

I am a new player. Started 5-11-18. Less then 1000 battles so far. But one of the things Ive noticed is (especially since im playing mostyl tier 5 ships right now.) That with the more I play a map the more familiar I am with its stengths and weakness. Where the hidden cap points are when I'm playing DD's. What islands I can use to influence what areas when I am playing BB's and CA/CL. Where to position my planes to spot enemy DD's in the usual cap spots. 

This is also my biggest problem with the upper tier matches is not knowing where on the map to go because out in the open your screwed more often then not unless you can angle. But angling can only delay the inevitable if you can't change the sitiation. So if I look like Im fumbling about in the upper tier matches I promise I will get better the more familiar I get with the maps and advanced tactics used in upper tier matches. 

So the best advice I can give newer players is play alot of ships in the same tiers so you can get familiar with the maps and the different play styles. It will help with your confidence it certainly has mine. 

Your fellow shipmate Sped_Gax 

It good to see that with only a couple of months under your belt, you've learned a lesson that some players with miss. Upper tier matches can be daunting if your coming from lower tiers, as it mostly is a different playstyle, but much like you did with low tiers, the more battles you play in higher tiers the more comfortable you will become with how to play to the playstyle.

Members
140 posts
13,006 battles
56 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

what is the hidden cap points you're talking about?

I'm pretty sure he means the various stealth positions inside certain cap circles, depending on which side of the map you're on.

For example, Solomon Islands domination match, the ninja spot at E5 for the north side of B. You can deny B for quite awhile in that position. The enemy will know you're there, but if you're parked correctly then they can't hit you without a willing CV.

Stuff like that.

Edited by Ziggy_Sprague

[SOB]
Members
254 posts
3,429 battles

Open water isnt as bad as you may think. Generally speaking even as a CA main I prefer to be in open water allowing me room to maneuver. I dont do the hidey pokey playstyle that is so prevalent unless circumstances force me into it. The key I think to success is positioning & maintaining an awareness of where the enemy ships are. If you dont have it enabled on your miny map turn on last known position. You can use that to deduce where enemy ships you dont see are going to help minimize your exposure. Another thing that IMO is vital to the open water playstyle is having the cpt skill Priority Target. Oh & you want a ship that is semi stealthy so you can do dark, lose detection & slip away. 

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
37 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

what is the hidden cap points you're talking about?

Spots where a ship can be in a cap without being directly seen by an enemy unless they are halfway through the cap or and your spawn side of the map. Now with radar thats a whole different story and I didn't want to bring that up in this discussion. 

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
40 minutes ago, Ziggy_Sprague said:

I'm pretty sure he means the various stealth positions inside certain cap circles, depending on which side of the map you're on.

For example, Solomon Islands domination match, the north side ninja spot at E5 for B. You can deny B for quite awhile in that position. The enemy will know you're there, but if you're parked correctly then they can't hit you without a willing CV.

Stuff like that.

Exactly what I was meaning. 

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
564 posts
5,215 battles

Spots where a ship can be in a cap without being directly seen by an enemy unless they are halfway through the cap or and your spawn side of the map. Now with radar thats a whole different story and I didn't want to bring that up in this discussion. 

I think a better word choice so that you aren't confusing people would be covered capping spots.

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
29 minutes ago, MizzenMast said:

Open water isnt as bad as you may think. Generally speaking even as a CA main I prefer to be in open water allowing me room to maneuver. I dont do the hidey pokey playstyle that is so prevalent unless circumstances force me into it. The key I think to success is positioning & maintaining an awareness of where the enemy ships are. If you dont have it enabled on your miny map turn on last known position. You can use that to deduce where enemy ships you dont see are going to help minimize your exposure. Another thing that IMO is vital to the open water playstyle is having the cpt skill Priority Target. Oh & you want a ship that is semi stealthy so you can do dark, lose detection & slip away. 

Thanks for the tip. 

[ARGSY]
Members
6,348 posts
4,275 battles

I am a new player. Started 5-11-18.

In British Commonwealth dating conventions (Day Month Year), you are not even due to start playing until the beginning of November:Smile_teethhappy:

More seriously, well done - you have noticed the importance of map play at a point where my gameplay could best be described with the word DERP. Keep it up. :Smile_great:

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

In British Commonwealth dating conventions (Day Month Year), you are not even due to start playing until the beginning of November:Smile_teethhappy:

More seriously, well done - you have noticed the importance of map play at a point where my gameplay could best be described with the word DERP. Keep it up. :Smile_great:

I'm from time to time pulling Notsers and such. Occasionally those even save me.:Smile_teethhappy:

[ARGSY]
Members
6,348 posts
4,275 battles
1 minute ago, Sped_Gax said:

I'm from time to time pulling Notsers and such. Occasionally those even save me.

They sometimes save us all. "Yes, of course I meant to do that." It's better than eating torpedoes.

Sadly, my ability to run aground at embarrassing moments is probably as close as I'll ever get to playing as well as Notser. I can also say "Hello, hello" almost as well as Flamu does, but that's as close as I'll ever get to being Flamu! 

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

They sometimes save us all. "Yes, of course I meant to do that." It's better than eating torpedoes.

Sadly, my ability to run aground at embarrassing moments is probably as close as I'll ever get to playing as well as Notser. I can also say "Hello, hello" almost as well as Flamu does, but that's as close as I'll ever get to being Flamu! 

Yes watching the videos is fun and I realize I'll never be that good. But Notser more then the others has helped me learn to play the game better because he also explains why you want to do certain things and why not.