You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

I will never get tired of this game (I have too many things left to do)!

16 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
6,364 posts
4,293 battles

I have so many things I want to do, I could happily play this game forever even if they made absolutely no changes. 

1) 19 point captain - currently at 14, halfway to 15. Edinburgh-trained; Warspite, Nelson and Gallant available to put him in. All good, especially since the gains I make in the lower tiers tend to balance my poorer gains (or worse, losses) in Tier VIII. All that's lacking is the playing time and the energy.

2) Permanent (Tier VIII-plus) campaigns - I currently have two Tier VIII cruisers to attempt these with, and since one of them is the Cleveland I can now do firestarting missions that I couldn't before (e.g. Yamamoto Mission 1, Task 7). However, I can't help but think that progress in these missions would be significantly easier (or the choice of tasks wider, which may amount to the same thing) if I also had a battleship and a destroyer available. This suggests priority should be directed to playing the Lyon and the Mahan, which unfortunately directly conflicts with best practice for task #1. Fortunately the desire to grind up my Edinburgh's captain feeds directly into these campaign grinds; all I need is the patience to stick at it regardless of losses and poor results and the wisdom to choose tasks that auto-accumulate and synergise with each other.

3) Obtaining the Aigle for coal - this should be much easier once the next patch drops and containers can be selected which preferentially yield this resource. This one will probably be accomplished fairly early, as I am not interested in the other ships on offer in the Arsenal and am prepared to spend my voucher. (Just 5000 coal to go on that basis.) I can then think about polishing off the French and Dunkirk collections for coal-bought crates and getting the captains. French containers are expensive, though, compared to their Dunkirk and Bismarck equivalents. I am assuming this is because of the non-collection things that come inside them, so elucidation as to the contents would be most welcome. I don't want to click on them to find out because I don't want to run the risk of accidentally buying them when they're not a priority.

4) Replacing my sorely depleted reserves of silver. The answer to that one is grind, baby, grind - and try not to buy any more ships for a while, which also directly conflicts with my line-expanding desires in task #2 (although the Mahan will almost certainly be sold when she is done, and the Lyon might be).

Roll on, the grinds! :Smile_izmena: 

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,066 battles

The grind can get exhausting and make you want to stop but I have kept some fun ships in port just for those occasions. The Massachusetts is the newest edition to this fleet. Just loads of fun to play if you’re tired of grinding (the plus is you’re still gaining commander xp and credits).

[ARGSY]
Members
6,364 posts
4,293 battles
31 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

I have kept some fun ships in port just for those occasions

It's one of the reasons I hope they put the Vanguard into the game at Tier VIII, with God-level range and dispersion on the main armament. I'm also looking forward to seeing how much the Cossack is going to cost. Likely it will be VERY expensive, because it's near to being OP if not actually there, but if they make either of those ships winnable in some sort of North Cape-style mission and I'm not out of the country when it drops, it'd be worth going for. 

ETA: I'm pretty close to a million Captain XP to go. If I can force myself to play to 10,000 XP a night with this captain (on average), I can do it in a little over three months. The first half of September is already a writeoff, as will be many summer days (my family IS more important than this game), but if I can pull my finger out now and keep it out, I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done by the end of this year.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[H_]
Members
803 posts

I deleted what I was going to depress you with.

Keep at it and find a niche !  I've been in WoWs since Jan of this year and have your 1-4 accomplished.....  It just takes time. 

My concern is "what else does WoWs offer?"  That can and will keep me interested?  So far, the radar HE spam meta is pushing players like me out.  We can't field a clan.  There only three of us playing anymore.  Many other clans are facing the same issues: people are retiring because the game is "era evolving" forward into the "Information age" and Aluminum ships, EW, smart weapons and missiles....  Or, if they were smart, they'd fix the radar mess and create a separate game mode for the Aluminum ship era that doesn't mix with WW2 and earlier.

But hey, what do I know....

[TBW]
Members
6,413 posts
12,059 battles
46 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

4) Replacing my sorely depleted reserves of silver. The answer to that one is grind, baby, grind - and try not to buy any more ships for a while, which also directly conflicts with my line-expanding desires in task #2 (although the Mahan will almost certainly be sold when she is done, and the Lyon might be).

I hear ya on this one, always in need of credits. I find that the operations help with that for me (actually they help for what ever you need, depending on camos and signals). I am saving free XP for the Kronshtadt. 12 ships I am grinding 1/2 that need upgrades but won't use free XP for.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,364 posts
4,293 battles
33 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Or, if they were smart, they'd fix the radar mess and create a separate game mode for the Aluminum ship era that doesn't mix with WW2 and earlier.

World War 2 IS the Radar era, from 1941 onward, and  you're lucky there aren't more ships fitted with it which carried it historically in that conflict. And let's not get into the fact that not long after Germany fielded its glide bombs, the Allies had jamming for it. EW and guided weapons were born in WW2 and saw their first use there.

If you want a radar-free environment, Tiers 1-4 are your natural home and there aren't that many radar ships at Tier 5.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,364 battles

For the past few years, either WG or WoWS anniversary (I forget which) has yielded draconic signals in bunches.  Stack some of those onto your best commander xp camo and you may get to 19 points sooner than you think.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,364 posts
4,293 battles
36 minutes ago, Lillehuntrix said:

For the past few years, either WG or WoWS anniversary (I forget which) has yielded draconic signals in bunches.  Stack some of those onto your best commander xp camo and you may get to 19 points sooner than you think.

The bigger the bunches, the better. I know all too well how much you can milk out of flag and camo stacking, but I'm not swimming in hundreds of either and I don't like throwing real money at stuff that doesn't stick around. Fortunately, Confederate gives you Cmdr XP flags, and I really do need to work on the whole Damaging Lots Of Enemies thing. If I eke them out carefully and save the multi-stacking for mega-bonus weekends, that should accelerate my progress a fair bit, though. 

[H_]
Members
803 posts
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

World War 2 IS the Radar era, from 1941 onward, and  you're lucky there aren't more ships fitted with it which carried it historically in that conflict. And let's not get into the fact that not long after Germany fielded its glide bombs, the Allies had jamming for it. EW and guided weapons were born in WW2 and saw their first use there.

If you want a radar-free environment, Tiers 1-4 are your natural home and there aren't that many radar ships at Tier 5.

I appreciate the reply.  I'm not sure you understand my position. 

Yes, radar was around since the 1930's....that didn't make it effective until late 1945.  Yes, just about everybody had radar !  But no, warfare was still LOS until the middle 1950's....  The information era started in the 1960's....  Yes, the German's had "smart weapons" and all sorts of neat rocketry and aircraft designs.  Their U-boars were world class (the XXI was the prototype of all that came after....)

Do you know what a "value proposition" is?  I'm never sure if I'm talking to a Baby Boomer or a "Like" generation player....  WoWs VP is the early 20th century naval combat....  radar would be fine if it had the characteristics of WW2 radar......which it surely does not have.....the radar deployed in the game is 1960's radar because it is "tied into" all other ships and provides "real time" 100% accurate data...  That did not happen at all in WW2...  One ship, one radar solution that would not be 100% accurate nor work through terrain nor weather......  I'd be fine with that

The reason many of us came to WoWs because our parents, relatives and neighbors all fought in WW2.  My grandparents worked where the 16 and 14" guns were cast and milled.  All of the citadel and armor plating for the CA's and BB's were cast there....

Have you ever even seen a 16" gun in a vertical mill?  I have: in the early 1960's...  I've spent weeks climbing on "mothballed CA's" that were at the Philadelphia Naval yard for decades (just before they were towed to Texas and scrapped) and a lot of time on the New Jersey when it moored in Camden.  I've talked to hundreds of WW2 sailors about there experiences on combat ships.......  What I expect, as a customer, is at least an attempt at the "Iron and Steel" era naval combat.  Yes, it is a game and yes, I like most of it....  But.....

I get tired of this game because there's an era creep coming and what I value is being degraded or removed.    No, I didn't come here to play tier 1 through 4......I came here to experience the height of naval LOS technology and have fun with my friends....we are all mostly retired  now and have time.   And, our fun is vanishing faster each week and we are losing players.... 

that's all I'm saying:  A great game in transition towards everything we hated about WoTs......that we no longer ever have accounts in...  Deja Vue....

[ARGSY]
Members
6,364 posts
4,293 battles
14 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

the radar deployed in the game is 1960's radar because it is "tied into" all other ships and provides "real time" 100% accurate data...

No, it's still 1940s radar because in a 1940s ship you would have people working for you who could pass ranges and bearings to the other ships in your squadron. 

The radar can't become what you want it to be because this is an arcade game, not a simulation.

[H_]
Members
803 posts

Actually, voice communications between FDC's was almost never done....  Not how it worked.  enlisted techs communicated with Chiefs who communicated with the FDCO and then, the chiefs talked to shiefs and the officers had to agree.... Nor, would it provide anywhere near accurate firing solutions or data.   This is a 3 dimensional firing solution: roll, pitch and yaw in an active, unpredictable moving environment........  By the time the message was transferred, the ships have moved and the solutions would have to be validated by the FDC teams and stations all over again....  Radar stations were not in the FDC.....they were in the communications rooms where the radios were.  Only very late in the war, new ships had in-FDC plotting room stations and they were just rotating screens !!!!    everything had to be translated into usable data.  Manually imputed into the firing computers (analogue) and then indexed (a cross check to actual gun movement) and confirmed.  Sorry, I'm being a bother but "reality" isn't what we have in any form....

Now, I agree, it's a game.  A silly game at that....that I enjoy BUT, there has to be some reality or those of us who care about history will stop playing....  Have you played Harpoon?

[ARGSY]
Members
6,364 posts
4,293 battles
11 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

Now, I agree, it's a game.  A silly game at that....that I enjoy BUT, there has to be some reality or those of us who care about history will stop playing....  Have you played Harpoon?

Yes, I have. I quit in frustration when a County-class cruiser shot down my entire multi-Harpoon salvo with Seaslug missiles, one after the other in an unending stream. Disbelief could no longer be suspended.

I'm willing to suspend disbelief on this game with regard to targeting, radar, etc., because if it were a simulation of the sort you are wishing for, I fear it would only ever attract an unsustainably small hard core of enthusiasts. I know what you want, I know why you want it and I sympathise, but what we have now brings in the sort of audience that keeps the game in existence. That's my opinion. I think we must agree to differ.

On another note, last night's play was not stellar but I am 9266 Captain XP closer to my goal. I had to quit early for various reasons or I would have posted the full 10,000 I want to do every night. However, my calculations tell me I am most definitely under the 1 million to go mark. 10,000 CXP every night = 100 nights to 19 points. Gotta keep reminding myself of that. Between flags and camo, I have just over five hundred items that boost commander XP and I intend to eke them out slowly over regular play, one at a time, while stacking and splurging in the high-first-win periods.

(Taking TWO solo base caps in my Edinburgh and then having us lose the match was just heartbreaking.)

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[H_]
Members
803 posts

Many of our frustrations come from what we've seen in other games that are or have done what WG is doing with radar....  MWO is a good example of a great niche game that their host corporation is clueless and has actually run off one of the most stable niche market's I've ever studied or researched (I lecture on Innovation and gaming quite a bit...)

WG is headed down that road.  It's sad, because this is WoTs part duex....  For many, deja vue towards content that simply isn't rational.  I guess, that's OK....  Sad, but we have little choice other than to comment and stop spending real $$$.

Good luck with the 19 point CPT's.  I created two and now, to be honest, it's "ok, now what..."  Kind of like FO4 when you've finally have the income to start seriously building and have all of the "stuff" you need to survive.....the map is only so big till you've seen it all !    I'm not sure what else there is to do in WoWs at this point???

[ARGSY]
Members
6,364 posts
4,293 battles
4 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Good luck with the 19 point CPT's.  I created two and now, to be honest, it's "ok, now what..."  Kind of like FO4 when you've finally have the income to start seriously building and have all of the "stuff" you need to survive.....the map is only so big till you've seen it all !    I'm not sure what else there is to do in WoWs at this point???

Postulating a future in which I manage to accumulate more Elite Commander XP than I could ever hope to use, the "what else" for me would be to do a lot of experimenting with various commander builds that were neither optimal or typical but could be entertaining. What is a secondary-build Edinburgh like? Is British cruiser AA at its best really that vicious at mid tier? How does a survival build for a battleship really differ from a brawling, AA or general build? All these things I get shown by people with more Commander XP than Trump has money, I would like to find out for myself and not lose it every time the PTS gets reset.

WOWS is the video game I've wanted ever since I was ten, and for me it just keeps on getting better and better. I hope the last thing they do before they close the servers down (hopefully not for a VERY long time) is turn out a standalone version where you can play single-human co-op forever if that's what you want to do. I'd buy that.

[H_]
Members
803 posts

OK.  You've some work to do!  I think I'm a little bit older......

At 10, I was watching B&W TV and wondering if what I was reading in Tom Swift books from 1910-1918 became reality "when" in my life time....  Watched Star Trek live.  

Of course, I've been playing video games "quite awhile" before the civilian world knew they existed......the military is always at least 10 years ahead of the market.....    I get bored very quickly.  At the moment, I'm "not sure" what else WoWs has to offer....  Like a few other games (Eve, MWO, Harpoon, FO2-3-4-LV, half-life, Bioshock, etc...), it just gets repetitive and predictable.  I'll not close an account but, I may, along with another team I belong to, head off to FO76 for quite a while.....

Good luck and good hunting.,....  Drop in one night with our clan: we are only a division now....

[ARGSY]
Members
6,364 posts
4,293 battles
39 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Like a few other games (Eve, MWO, Harpoon, FO2-3-4-LV, half-life, Bioshock, etc...), it just gets repetitive and predictable.

For me, the versus-humans elements means it stays unpredictable. I agree that if I ever advance to the relative near-omnipotence of someone like Flamu it might get boring, but then one can always re-roll on a different server and experience a somewhat different play-style (or go for carriers from the start, or something like that). But there's a lot of ships I haven't yet experienced, and until then I will keep on keeping on. 

Clan invite is appreciated; however, I am very happy where I am at the moment and see no need to walk away from them.