You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
buzz_bomb

Question about CV fighters in engagement

6 comments in this topic

[TF16]
Members
60 posts
4,533 battles

I'm curious does it matter what angle you intercept fighters as far as damage dealt and received. For example, let's say I have a fighter group and I'm not strafing but clicking to do a normal intercept of an enemy fighter. Does it make any difference if I come in at them head on, from the tail, side, etc? I thought I heard that Japanese planes are weaker at head on passes. Not sure if there is any truth to this. One thing I do notice is as soon as fighter groups first engage I often notice an immediate destruction of a plane and then it slows down. 

[ARP2]
Members
1,244 posts
3,569 battles

The angle you come in at doesnt effect the "dogfight."  Japanese planes are weaker in head on strafe due to less aircraft, which has nothing to do with a right click engagement.

[SCCC]
Members
705 posts
5,503 battles

In a straight click on dog fight, no. It makes no difference. However, in strafe engagements, the longer the targeted planes are in the strafing path, the more planes you will take out of the sky. Strafing from the rear is the longest engagement meaning more planes shot down. Head on strafes is the shortest engagement meaning few planes shot down. If you arent strafing and are relying dog fighting RNG, youre doing it wrong.

[REVY]
Members
954 posts
7,519 battles

let me ask you this:  Where does the strafing begin?

I have played CVs since open beta, and i believed that the strafe began at the line, much like the torpedo bombers drop their torps at the line. But I have had several instances now in the Independence and Enterprise, both times fighting against the same ship (thus same tier aircraft), where the strafe either doesn't seem to start until well past the line, or it begins, but the enemy planes that are being targeted do not seem to be taking any damage. Its very frustrating to have an enemy squadron lined up perfectly in the brackets, strafe and get nothing, yet have their planes sweep around and completely eliminate yours. I've strafed from behind, angled, even head on. Sometimes I completely wreck the squad, other times they go completely through the strafe without losing a plane. I even changed up where I begin the strafe, but that seems to give them time to turn away, then swing around and strafe in return, or it's simply too far out and no damage is done.

I should note that my CV commanders are trained for Servicing Expert and Dogfighting Expert.

[TBOW]
Members
1,253 posts
10,700 battles

What i have happen is the Strafe is Set and they can tie my planes up anyway.  Which PO's me. I would expect if I set the Strafe, the should go, and yes it happens right at the line I am getting tied up as the strafe should start.  So Strafing has some bugs in it.  The other thing that gets me is occasionally is the need for the planes to do a 360 to start a strafe, which means it is a useless strafe.

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,699 battles
1 hour ago, Lord_Slayer said:

Sometimes I completely wreck the squad, other times they go completely through the strafe without losing a plane.

Got to love those one's the most when you get a good strafe off and you don't kill 1 plane but other times you can take out 3-4 squads