You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Fearden50

Positioning

9 comments in this topic

[CSALT]
Members
4 posts
641 battles

I am not a new player but I feel like one I have about 600 games under my belt. I really need help with learning how to position myself in game I play cruisers mostly IJN and USN. I rarely survive a game I usually die in the first 5 to 10 minutes. I attribute these deaths to being caught out of position. Any help would be much appreciated.

[CAST]
Members
1,428 posts
5,978 battles

Just about everyone has trouble getting over the cruiser hump that hits around tier 5, so don't worry too much if you're struggling there.  Not only are those cruisers universally squishy, you also start getting thrown up against tier 7 battleships & cruisers, which actually have the accuracy and range to punish every mistake you make (to say nothing of higher-tier carriers you have basically no defense against).  In the end it really does come down to trial & error, and learning from the mistakes you inevitably make.  Put another way, I have nearly 1,000 cruiser battles, on top of about 4,000 battles in other ship types (mainly destroyers), and I'm just now getting to the point where I'd call myself a "decent" cruiser player...it does take that much time.

There are ways you can speed up the learning process somewhat:

• Watch YouTube videos and Twitch streams relating to Warships.  Some of the best-known YouTubers who make tips & tricks videos about the game include Flamu, iChaseGaming, and Notser.  There are also many excellent Twitch streamers who focus on WoWs; Mejash is a personal favorite of mine (and his channel is still "small" enough that he can interact effectively with viewers & answer questions).
  • Going a step further, try to find time to watch some of the ongoing Clan Battles on Twitch.  The play style in clan wars is far different than in random battles, but you can still learn a lot by watching some of the top clans play & seeing how they use positioning, map awareness, and communication to exert as much pressure on the opposing team as possible without placing their own ships into undue risk.
  • Pick the brains of your more experienced clan-mates, division with them whenever possible, and ideally try to get some training room time with one or two people who can go over details like proper angling, use of terrain, and reading the flow of the game as it progresses.
  • When you die in a battle, don't just back out into port immediately.  Use the free cam feature to follow some of your teammates around and see how they approach different engagements...many of those players won't be much better than you are (if at all better), but even in that case it's often easier to pick up on mistakes you might be making when you're watching somebody else (and not tunnel visioned on a single enemy ship, for example).
  • Look up Lord_Zath, either here on the forums or on his YouTube and Twitch channels.  He's a very good & very experienced warships player who quite graciously records reviews of replays sent to him by the masses (us), offering personalized advice & tips on where your play could be improved.  Even if you'd rather not send him a replay of your own just yet, you can learn a ton by watching the breakdowns he's done of other players (I'd still recommend sending him a "typical" game that you played; a quick search of the forums or Google will tell you how to enable replays if you haven't already).
  • While we're on the topic of replays...watch some of your own after playing.  Again, watching rather than playing will allow you to see more of the battle, along with decisions you made during the game which could be improved upon.

Finally, try to keep this in mind: for most of us, the first thing we do after suffering an early death in the game is get upset and maybe look for someone/something else to blame.  Try to break that habit, and own your mistakes.  Ideally, you should strive to identify exactly the decision(s) you made during that game which led to your sinking...sometimes it truly will just be bad luck or the way the battle played out, but in the vast majority of matches there will be something which you could have done better (or would have been better off not doing).  I know you asked specifically about positioning, but trust me--this will help you to position your ship much more effectively!

Welcome aboard! :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Members
1,858 posts
17,674 battles

1st of all welcome to the forums & congratulations...you have come to the right place for there are many folks that will be able to direct you to many videos from many different CCs that will help you with your problem at hand (the 1st reply just went up...let's see how many more before I finish typing this out).

As far as the learning curve in this game goes 1000 games is the minimum for being considered "not a new player" anymore...but not to be confused w/a noob player...I have over 11k random battles & I still play like a noob...I wish I could end that sentence w/occasionally but unfortunately it happens more often than that.

The best advice I can give is start a few other lines besides the US & IJN & run some other types of ships to get a feel for what advantages they have over the cruisers & what weaknesses you can take advantage of as a cruiser. Each countries ships have different buffs/nerfs compared to the others.

It is best to stay in the lower tiers for awhile until you learn a good variety of all the little nuances of the game as there are not only much higher skilled opponents at higher tiers but other mechanics like radar (for some cruisers) & manual drops (for CVs T6 & above) making it much easier for them to take advantage of players w/less skills. Dispersion of shells gets tighter as you go up in levels too so more shells from each volley have a better chance of hitting you.

Hope this advice helps & hope you enjoy the ride.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,241 posts
9,040 battles

Hello and welcome to the Forums and the Game! :Smile_Default:

Cruisers were a little tricky for me to get the hang of staring out as well, but these days I love using them. I dabbled with them and had trouble, so I used Destroyers and Battleships a lot to help me understand many elements of the game and get practiced in gameplay. Most cruiser nations will have torpedoes so Destroyers helped with that and the fast firing gun training. Battleships helped with living long enough to observe gameplay, how to citadel enemy cruisers so Icould avoid having that happen in my own cruisers, and some fast Battleships like Gneisenau are like a cross between Battleship and cruiser and great way to get more forgiving practice in. If you are able to buy premium ships the Scharnhorst would be great training ship since it is one of the Battleships that are closely related to cruisers, except it is a lot harder to get citadel hits against it. 

Also Watching some YouTube videos by people like Notser and iChase can be very helpful also.

After you get some practice in, then return to cruisers and you will find them to be a lot better than before. Still will not be as durable as Battleships of course, but you will at least feel like you can put up a better fight or even thrive using cruisers.

Hope this helps and good luck. :Smile_honoring:

[CSALT]
Members
4 posts
641 battles
5 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Hello and welcome to the Forums and the Game! :Smile_Default:

Cruisers were a little tricky for me to get the hang of staring out as well, but these days I love using them. I dabbled with them and had trouble, so I used Destroyers and Battleships a lot to help me understand many elements of the game and get practiced in gameplay. Most cruiser nations will have torpedoes so Destroyers helped with that and the fast firing gun training. Battleships helped with living long enough to observe gameplay, how to citadel enemy cruisers so Icould avoid having that happen in my own cruisers, and some fast Battleships like Gneisenau are like a cross between Battleship and cruiser and great way to get more forgiving practice in. If you are able to buy premium ships the Scharnhorst would be great training ship since it is one of the Battleships that are closely related to cruisers, except it is a lot harder to get citadel hits against it. 

Also Watching some YouTube videos by people like Notser and iChase can be very helpful also.

After you get some practice in, then return to cruisers and you will find them to be a lot better than before. Still will not be as durable as Battleships of course, but you will at least feel like you can put up a better fight or even thrive using cruisers.

Hope this helps and good luck. :Smile_honoring:

I have tier 5 of 3 battleships and 2 CV and tier 5 to tier 7 of of all cruiser nations but the Russians and germans. I struggle with playing DD mostly due to not know how to properly use torps and the smoke screen mechanics. I do enjoy BB just really hate their horrible shell dispersion, drives me nuts. I will however take you advice on the DD play I only have the tier 3 wicks and then the premium ship the sims. So maybe I just haven't giving the DD a fighting chance. 

[RKLES]
Members
7,241 posts
9,040 battles
8 minutes ago, Fearden50 said:

I have tier 5 of 3 battleships and 2 CV and tier 5 to tier 7 of of all cruiser nations but the Russians and germans. I struggle with playing DD mostly due to not know how to properly use torps and the smoke screen mechanics. I do enjoy BB just really hate their horrible shell dispersion, drives me nuts. I will however take you advice on the DD play I only have the tier 3 wicks and then the premium ship the sims. So maybe I just haven't giving the DD a fighting chance. 

Well there are videos on Youtube to help with the DDs and how to use torpedoes and smoke. Torpedoes are often very deadly tool for a cruiser when they get the chances to safely use them, so it makes knowing how to use Torpedoes a very important thing to know. That is the fun thing about this game is it is not the easiest game to learn, so you will not get bored easily. And Cruisers can be the hardest of all the ships to truly master in my experience, partially because they are an in between class of ship.

Some of the Scenerio battles can be good training grounds for cruisers since the outcome of those battles do not affect anyone’s stats. And Scenerio mode even if you are overwhelmed and losing can still prove useful experience for Random and Ranked battles.

But like I said get plenty of Battleship experience especially in killing cruisers, since noticing mistakes cruisers make against Battleships will help you avoid those mistakes. And learning Destroyers properly will as well. Fun thing about my Japanese Cruisers is I sometimes use them as overgrown Gunboat Destroyers that lack smoke since they have good torpedoes and reasonably Stealthy when properly upgraded along with your captains. So you can see how learning Destroyers can be helpful. Those Destroyers also Reload their torpedoes faster than other ships will so good way to learn.

I would suggest watching YouTube videos and then getting up to at least Isokaze and Minekaze of the Japanese Destroyers since those will give you a taste of 7km torpedoes and from there a ship that uses longer ranged torpedoes than those will be easy adjustment and since Minekaze is only tier V it will not take too long to reach it and be able to get practice. Kuma is also a good cruiser to learn on since it is tier, has several 7km Torpedo launchers, and is when I started feeling like I could use cruisers is after learning to use Kuma well. Japanese and German cruisers have been my favorites, French is good too. US Cruisers are good, but have taken extra getting used to since after tier V they no longer get torpedoes since USN felt they were too dangerous to carry and were not included in later cruisers. US Cruisrs do have nice guns and good AA defenses, but to me they feel like they really miss out on the killer punch of Torpedoes.

One Other thing, stay away from British Cruisers until you get really good at using a lot of other cruisers because the British Cruisers are the most difficult to to use and require a lot of cruiser experience to make use of them.

[CSALT]
Members
4 posts
641 battles

Thank you guys all so much for the responses. I will be using these as reference points to improve my gameplay and be watching youtube all morning. I also believe I should get in a more active clan since I have never seen or talk to another clan member in my current clan. 

Members
1,858 posts
17,674 battles
8 hours ago, Fearden50 said:

I struggle with playing DD mostly due to not know how to properly use torps and the smoke screen mechanics.

The main part about DD torps is the white line indicator when using them...it tells you exactly where to launch the torps if the ship you are locked onto continues in a perfectly straight line w/out adjusting speed...based on awareness of other ships you can often predict where the ships are likely to turn & adjust your aim accordingly before launching. Channels that ships are likely to cut through to try to flank your team are good places to send "area denial" torps...but make sure no friendly ships are heading that way to cut off that flank of course.

As for smoke...if you are detected it doesn't conceal you until you get down to 1/4 speed...there is an arrow indicator at the speed where you will go undetected as you slow down...so start slowing down before you use the smoke & wait to fire your guns until after you are moving slow enough to not be detected.

If you manage to keep the smoke between you & all red ships you will go undetected even at full speed.

But remember...if you are relying on your friendly ships to defend you...you lose all ability to spot the red ships so depending on how you're team is doing in the engagement it may be better to not smoke & just try to kite your way out of danger. If you're getting hammered but in return the reds are getting hammered by your friendlies don't smoke...but if your team is getting hammered lay the smoke so they can get away...but preferably try to stay out of it so you can keep spotting & your team can exact some revenge.

7 hours ago, Fearden50 said:

I also believe I should get in a more active clan since I have never seen or talk to another clan member in my current clan

There is a window always active if you are in a clan (bottom left of the screen...minimized under the ship carousel) that tells you who is online in your clan w/the ability to communicate w/them or an icon next to each of their names for sending private messages to any 1 of them).

You could start the talking process your self or there may already be conversations going on that you are probably more than welcome to join in on but just may not be aware of.

The choice is yours on figuring out what is best for you on that though...just giving the basic info on clan communications in case you may not be aware of it.

[CSALT]
Members
4 posts
641 battles

Thank you had no idea about the detection when In smoke thing thats awesome thank you.