You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Stormie1126

About to get the Hipper...how's she play?

13 comments in this topic

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles

So I'm about 10-15k XP from getting the Hipper, then just have to grind however many credits I'll need. Just wondering how she plays after the frustration that has been the Yorck, compared to the love I had/have for the Nurnberg.

[ASHIP]
Members
597 posts
5,316 battles

Unfortunately if you didn't like the Yuck, you probably won't like the Hippo either. She has much better AP, but still badly lacks DPM. Her main advantage over the Yuck is her much better armour scheme, which allows her to bounce BB AP shells when angled and brawl extremely effectively with cruisers at medium range. The problem is that it still isn't going to be enough armour to rely on, especially against higher tier BBs, and the low DPM is still going to be a struggle, even against other cruisers.

[-BSS-]
Members
395 posts
6,309 battles

Hipper is a great ship, excellent at kiting which is the style you need to master for German line.  The tweaks made to it have helped for sure 

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
2 minutes ago, senseNOTmade said:

Unfortunately if you didn't like the Yuck, you probably won't like the Hippo either. She has much better AP, but still badly lacks DPM. Her main advantage over the Yuck is her much better armour scheme, which allows her to bounce BB AP shells when angled and brawl extremely effectively with cruisers at medium range. The problem is that it still isn't going to be enough armour to rely on, especially against higher tier BBs, and the low DPM is still going to be a struggle, even against other cruisers.

Well, I'll take armor strong enough to bounce at least SOME BB AP. The Nurnberg was nimble enough I could dodge a good deal of it at range, but the Yorck feels like sludge, I can't dodge crap unless the enemy is a poor shot. Is the Hipper better in this regard or the same/worse than the Yorck?

[ASHIP]
Members
597 posts
5,316 battles
Just now, Stormie1126 said:

Well, I'll take armor strong enough to bounce at least SOME BB AP. The Nurnberg was nimble enough I could dodge a good deal of it at range, but the Yorck feels like sludge, I can't dodge crap unless the enemy is a poor shot. Is the Hipper better in this regard or the same/worse than the Yorck?

In turning, speed and concealment the Hippo is ok but not good. Pretty much identical to the Yuck in fact (if I remember correctly).

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
1 minute ago, senseNOTmade said:

In turning, speed and concealment the Hippo is ok but not good. Pretty much identical to the Yuck in fact (if I remember correctly).

Well, as long as shes not worse, I suppose....lol

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
2 minutes ago, LowSpeed_US said:

Hipper? it's all in the name! She's too Hip, she's  too Hip to quit!

*ducks away slowly*

7297038340_390f4b5b04.jpg

:Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 2

[SCCC]
Members
705 posts
5,503 battles

She plays like Yorck but dont worry, the grind to Roon and finally Hinden is very worth it.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,166 posts
14,583 battles

Hipper is like the other German Cruisers you've played but with some special caveats.

German Cruisers perform well at range with their shell flight characteristics.

German Cruisers have the extra HE pen bonus which makes them reliable damage dealers.  Some deck armors at High Tier are pretty thick, and German 203mm HE will pen them.

Your Fire Chance still sucks and your ROF is passable, but not enough to make Hipper known as a "Fire Breather."

However, your AP shell flight characteristics are markedly better than Yorck's.  If you see a broadside target, take the AP salvo, you may be surprised what you get, even against some BBs.

Until the USN Cruiser Split where Cleveland and Baltimore came to Tier VIII, Admiral Hipper had the best tech tree Cruiser AA this tier.  She doesn't have the long range that Cleveland & Baltimore have, but the range is respectable and the DPS is high.  With Defensive Fire she surprised some CVs, if you spec for AA.  Tier VIII is where German Cruisers start having valid AA Build choices.

Tier VIII-X USN & German HEAVY Cruisers have 27mm bows.  This means that you can go bow in against 380mm / 15" armed BBs like Bismarck, Alsace, Richelieu and bounce their shells that way, mitigating the majority of the damage they can do.  However, this falls apart when you encounter the 406mm+ armed BBs who will plow right through your bow with their bigger guns.  Abuse the 27mm bow in the right occasions as it can even charge some BBs if the conditions are right and plant torpedoes into them, as you bounce their AP.

Hipper maintains the feel of Yorck by having multiple torpedo launchers per side, 6km torps.  If someone is stupid enough to get close to you, even a BB will quickly regret it.  Hipper can drop lots of Cruiser torps.

General sailing - Long ranged combat, ability to fight in island infested map areas if needed.

With BBs present, engage at as long range as you can  while still being able to reliably hit.  At the tiers she fights in, getting too close for gun attacks is dangerous as there are some remarkably accurate BB Guns in High Tier.  Amagi, Iowa, Missouri, Montana, Yamato for instance can quickly, easily make Cruisers pay if you try to get too close.  Against those BBs, even 15km IMO is too close.

Hipper however, if needed can capably fight in confined map areas.  Lots of islands?  No problem.  Her protection scheme is at its best in a short ranged fight.  The nice torpedo launch angles and 6km range gives her instant killing power even for the largest of ships.  If you dropped Defensive Fire to slot that nice German Hydro, she can confidently sail into an island infested area with excellent awareness due to Hydro, the right protection scheme, and the right weapons for the job.

The ability to seamlessly flow from long range cruiser spammer to knife fighter among islands is a very nice perk.  There's numerous Cruisers like IJN, French, Russian Cruisers that are good at ranged, but if they have to fight in close quarters, they fail spectacularly.  They're clumsy, poorly armored for such jobs, and their torpedo arrangement, loadouts are terrible for such a fight.  Hipper fits right in.

Get used to this.  IMO, Admiral Hipper / Prinz Eugen, except for their slower gun reload speed, play much closer to Tier X Hindenburg than Tier IX Roon.  Roon is basically a Super K-/N-Berg.  She does not have the powerful torpedo armament.  Her gun arrangement makes her awkward if you try to fight in confined areas.  Hipper, like Hindenburg, has a more "universal" weapons layout.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
1,735 posts
8,298 battles

I only have Eugen right now but since both ship share some similarities I would say :

-Stay at range and spam HE against everything that isn't flat broadside. Hipper has slightly better reload compared to Eugen but Eugen has heal which makes her more tanky than Hipper.

- Your AP is really strong but she tend to bounce against any angled target (hence the use of HE said above)

-Hipper armor is enough to bounce 381mm shells (Bismarck / Tirpitz, Sharnhorst, KGV, Alsace, Richelieu...) so don't be afraid to just point your nose at the ennemi Bismarck and torps him.

-Your speed isn't great, your concealment is meh and the ruddershift is kinda slow so don't over extend or play too passive. If you're confident in your ability to take down some target and if you know no one else will catch you off guard you can charge whatever ships you want but keep in minds what has been said above because you might just lose all your HP and dies.

-I find Eugen to be slow on dealing damage compared to ship like Mogami, Atago or Charle Martel. Take your time when playing this ship. 

[-AH-]
[-AH-]
Members
664 posts
3,394 battles

I found Hipper to be 10X more fun than the Yorck, but that's just me. Great ship, hope you enjoy her as much as I did.