You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_1204_

Buy Atago? (and CB ship question)

14 comments in this topic

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles

So I play battleships. Like, a lot of battleships. Iirc like 95% of my games are BBs. They are fun and I figured that if I isolate myself to BBs, Ill spend less, thus regretting less later in the process. Plus between the history and incredible damage output, its more than enough to satisfy. But that presents a issue. In CB I gotta play a cruiser. I run rentals, but it would be nice to have my own. After doing some crossing off the list (no Mino, Worchester, Henry, etc),  and foregoing DM (too brawly), I came to the three main rental ships. Zao, Moskva, and Hindy. I do best in Hindy, I want to get the zao, and the Moskva plays most like a battleship. Basically Im torn. 

I was planning on getting the zao. Just go with the gut feeling and do it. Nice concealment, good hunter, and fantastic burning abilities. I also noticed that Atago is on the summer sale for 30% off, and with further digging found she is similar to the zao. Should I capitalize on the offer, or pass it up and wait until CB season 3 ends to get a better feel as to which cruiser I want to go with? It would be nice to get the Yamamoto isokaru missions done, as well as the honorable service. 

So basically:

• Is Atago worth 30 bucks on sale? I would be able to do both Yamamoto AND honorable service mission campaigns
  • Should I go Zao for  a CB ship? Moskva and Hindy both are fun, but zao is something special
  • Is it even worth getting a zao just for CB? Or just do the rentals?
  • Im mostly just talking myself though this, so please discuss freely. Im a BB skrub through and through

Updates!

For sure going zao. Really stinking it up in rental Moskva in CB tonight:Smile_sceptic: Now I have about 2 hrs to decide if Atago is worth it

Edited by _1204_

[ARGSY]
Members
6,343 posts
4,275 battles
Just now, Octavian_of_Roma said:

3. CB is tier 10. You cant play the Atago in CB.

OP is asking with regard to eventually getting the Zao.

Members
12 posts
6,449 battles

If you are a strong Cruiser player, yes, it is worth getting Zao for CB in order to avoid playing rentals. The primary reason for this is that you can only play rentals during clan battles. If you grind a tech tree ship, you will be able to practice with it during random battles. You can’t equip camos to rentals either so there goes your detectability and dispersion bonuses which can make a difference in competitive gameplay

Edited by Supercharged1110

[REVY]
Members
954 posts
7,519 battles

Atago/Cruiser play is a bit of a change from BBs

If you have never played a cruiser higher then Tier III before, jumping in to Tier VIII is going to be a shock.

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,874 posts
12,625 battles

@_1204_ Yes it is worth buying since it is on sale! I believe it was the 1st cruiser put in that has the repair function just as the BBs! The tech tree doubloon cost is rather steep also.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,141 posts
14,547 battles

Leverage Atago's stealth (be sure to have a stealth build), long range torpedoes (without overly risking the ship), and HE shells.  Play like your armor doesn't exist, because if someone sees your sides, especially a BB, you're dead instantly.  IJN Cruisers Heavy Cruisers are some of the most heavily armed Cruisers in the game.  TONS of guns.  TONS of big, powerful, long ranged torpedo systems.  But it also means they have immense citadels.

Learn to torp from stealth or drop torps from outside your max torpedo range and into the face of pursuers.  When torps hit, cause floods, they force Damage Control Part use.  Wait a few seconds to let the DCP active time wear off, then hammer the target with HE and Fires.  Get a hang of this as this is the signature tactic of IJN Cruisers.  No other Cruiser Line can do this, especially kite the way IJN Cruisers do.

Stealth.

Stealth.

Stealth.

That is the basis of your attack and defense.  Know when it's time to stop or not shoot your guns at all.  IJN Cruisers, especially Tier VIII-X, have great stealth and can if played smartly, are some of the most survivable high tier ships in the game.

Wait until you get Zao.

Edit:  There's a very common mistake that new IJN Cruiser players do, is that they desperately try to get torpedoes off while detected.  This forces them to show a lot of sides.  People know exactly what a Cruiser is trying to do like that, and they will plant AP into your sides.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[CAFE]
WoWS Community Contributors
151 posts
15,819 battles

Both the Atago and Zao are excellent ships. You will have to change your playstyle though.

• Cool 1

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,460 posts
3,390 battles

If you're serious about going up the IJN cruiser line, then I say go ahead and buy it while it's on sale. Save some money when you can. I bet this kind of offers don't come around very often. But make sure you're absolutely sure about this.

Additionally, just don't expect to perform stellar when you take her out for a spin, if you lack any prior IJN cruiser experience... even to the point of becoming a burden to your team. Fortunately, you can always try things out on Coop until you get the hang of it. Or you can just keep her in port until you're really ready, such as when you finally catch up to the same tier on the tech tree counterpart.

My 2 doubloons.

Edited by Blorgh2017

[O7]
Beta Testers, Supertester
6,398 posts
7,363 battles

Atago is an amazing ship, it's definitely one of my favorites. I recommend it even if you don't play Cruisers much.

Members
100 posts
2,445 battles

Atago is fantastic, but unforgiving and a completely different play style from any BB. I recommend going for it, the price is fantastic and she’ll force you to become a better player.

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles

Now that I consider it, unless its the type 64 in wot... Impulsive buying is never a good idea. Ill pick up atago next time shes on sale. Zao (eventually) is for sure tho. 

Thanks all for the help!

• Cool 1