You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CylonRed

New 'rules' of the game for tier x???

57 comments in this topic

Members
3,468 posts
6,165 battles

Say what...?  Yea was informed of new 'rules' especially for DDs for tier X, where any BBs and CAs have to clear the cap before the tier x DD will get in and cap...  Of course if the cap is cleared - it would already be capped by the same BBs/CAs (if they survive that is)...  The tier X dd ended the game with 425 base XP...

Neeeeeew 'rules' and everyone has to play 'by the rules'.  Decidedly a new one on me.

• Bad 1

[5D]
Members
1,245 posts
7,213 battles

There are tactical situations where this philosophy isn't actually wrong. If the cap is guarded by multiple radar ships in cover, said dd should wait for it to be cleared as they'll never actually be able to bait all of the radar. 

That doesn't mean though that the dd has to wait for the larger ships to actually enter the cap though. Either the heavies push the enemy into such deep cover that even if the dd is spotted it cannot be fired upon, or the heavies drive the enemy away. 

"Cleared" should only mean that there is a tactical vacuum of vision upon which the dd can take advantage of to cap.

Context matters... bad dd players will misinterpret tactical situations as an excuse to never cap. Bad heavies will misinterpret the tactical situation as being necessary to suicide in.

There's a balance to everything.

• Cool 2

[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,774 posts
5,809 battles

For the most part, T10's are chickens because instant death is everywhere. T8's and 9's are also chickens in T10 matches because T10 ships are that much more powerful. Now, thanks to the new 'event' for T10's, they can get access to more stuff. 

• Bad 1

Members
3,468 posts
6,165 battles

There are tactical situations where this philosophy isn't actually wrong.

Except he needs to spot then, and that was also refused and not his job.  And there was no nuance either - it was follow the 'rule' or not follow the 'rule'. 

As noted - there is virtually no rule that fits every single situation bar none.  Same person insisted that ALL BBs were supposed to get in a brawl - so any BB that did not rush in was not playing by the 'rules'.

What was even sadder is that there were at least 2 CAs and 2 BBs moving up to support the DD at tehe cap - no one moved away.

Edited by CylonRed

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
468 posts
24 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

Say what...?  Yea was informed of new 'rules' especially for DDs for tier X, where any BBs and CAs have to clear the cap before the tier x DD will get in and cap...  Of course if the cap is cleared - it would already be capped by the same BBs/CAs (if they survive that is)...  The tier X dd ended the game with 425 base XP...

Neeeeeew 'rules' and everyone has to play 'by the rules'.  Decidedly a new one on me.

so a dd only value is to take the cap?

[5D]
Members
1,245 posts
7,213 battles
3 hours ago, CylonRed said:

Except he needs to spot then, and that was also refused and not his job.  And there was no nuance either - it was follow the 'rule' or not follow the 'rule'. 

As noted - there is virtually no rule that fits every single situation bar none.  Same person insisted that ALL BBs were supposed to get in a brawl - so any BB that did not rush in was not playing by the 'rules'.

There are plenty of situations where it's bad for a dd to spot. If there are too many red ships with the ability to counterspot... while friendly dd has no readily available fire support... bad idea.

Say there's a Moskva and a Wooster guarding a cap from cover. And the only way to spot them is for the dd to run wide and spot them... problem is that there are plenty of maps where the map edge is too close to the islands and cover. If the dd spots,  it's dead.

Why not have a friendly CA push up, pop a plane to spot, and focus on blapping at least one radar ship? Then the dd can bait radar and permaspot.

Sometimes it's best for someone else to spot rather than the dd. Not always, not even mostly. But sometimes it is the only viable move.

Edited by Spartias
  • Cool 1

Members
3,468 posts
6,165 battles
5 minutes ago, iamplaya said:

so a dd only value is to take the cap?

Of course not but he had lots of support (something whined about often by DDs) and till this time - I have had PLENTY of DDs move up and spot art a minimum and most try and cap.  Problem is - his 'job' by the 'rules' is to simply wait out till the cap was clear.  No spotting in any way and spent the first few minutes of the game behind everyone and then behind an island till we moved out of the cap (and already capped the cap).  And his action was by the 'rule' and everyone else was not playing by the 'rules'.

Edited by CylonRed

[5D5]
Members
2,284 posts
14,319 battles

OP why don't you tell us how many radar ships were on the enemy team in this battle.

Heavy radar matches mean the DDs need to stay outside the radar range until the capital ships beat them up a bit.

[5D]
Members
1,245 posts
7,213 battles

Everyone has the same job in this game.

Find a way to contribute to victory with the tools you bring to the match.

If the situation invalidates traditional rules of the game, unconventional means must be pursued. 

• Cool 1

Members
3,468 posts
6,165 battles
2 minutes ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

OP why don't you tell us how many radar ships were on the enemy team in this battle.

Heavy radar matches mean the DDs need to stay outside the radar range until the capital ships beat them up a bit.

Tier X likely a lot of them and been playing tier 7-10 now for months and this is the first time this 'rule' was ever brought up.  In fact most of the DDs moved up, spotted, or capped - hell - anything useful till the new 'rule' came up.  So many other DDs not really having a problem not playing by the 'rule' who do quite well and at least... I dunno - support the team.  It is the 'rule' that he was following and everyone else was breaking that was...  quite frankly bizarre

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
468 posts
2 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

Of course not but he had lots of support (something whined about often by DDs) and till this time - I have had PLENTY of DDs move up and spot art a minimum and most try and cap.  Problem is - his 'job' by the 'rules' is to simply wait out till the cap was clear.  No spotting in any way and spent the first few minutes of the game behind everyone and then behind an island till we moved out of the cap (and already capped the cap).  And his action was by the 'rule' and everyone else was not playing by the 'rules'.

well you cant go into the cap anymore at the begining

first you need to scout the cap for radar ship

then if its clear you can move into it but only after making sure there is no radar nearby

second you need your teammate to have pushed in near the cap...meaning the island beside the cap circle, not the island 20km from the cap

3rd i f your teammate failed to move in to support you at optimal range the match is lost, yes the match is decided in the first 3 to 5 min of the match

4th the camping strategie of the caps are lava is utterly a newb and fail strategie because all the enemy has to do is move in to the caps take cover beside the cap on those island i  mentionned in step 2, this is where the match is lost 75% of the time

your dd and the lone radar cruiser who decided to help are facing half the enemy team while 3/4 of your team is shooting from max range bouncing shells on armor and spalshing shells in the water to wash the enemy nice camo paint job free of charge

the result...in the first few minute of the match your team has lost his dds and radar cruisers, the enemy team has taken the caps and all the good cover beside the caps

final step the enemy waits for the campers to finish eating their hotdogs n marshmellows and try to aproch them in open sea while outnumbered

game over man

back to port weeeeee!

• Cool 1

Members
3,468 posts
6,165 battles

It is funny how so many DDs will at least spot to help get the cap clear but not even doing that is..... silly.  Same reason he did not want to go into the cap is the EXACT same reason why so many BBs die early - like he wanted our BBs to do.

I will certainly take any cap I can (and I have taken PLENTY as a BB main)  but to expect the team to not have spotting and spout 'rules' about CAs/BBs getting into the same cap he does not want to.... beyond silly.

[PSP]
Members
6,241 posts
8,880 battles

Want to see what a DD does at tier X? Check out my last game. My big mistake was not getting closer to the CV and to its side to torp it. However, seeing that the Worcester was on the way, perhaps I did the right thing anyway. I figured that my team was going to win even if I died so I committed as taking out a CV can be a game winner. I came in 2nd on the team.

If you don't want to watch, I hunted and killed a DD then capped two caps and killed a CV. That was about all I did but it contributed to a team win.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/wb2wb33d66rkqyx/20180722_150030_PASD013-Gearing-1945_18_NE_ice_islands.wowsreplay

shot-18_07.22_15_28.13-0071.thumb.jpg.e3dc073cf1768ef589380da83fd7043a.jpg

Edited by Snargfargle

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
468 posts
1 minute ago, CylonRed said:

It is funny how so many DDs will at least spot to help get the cap clear but not even doing that is..... silly.  Same reason he did not want to go into the cap is the EXACT same reason why so many BBs die early - like he wanted our BBs to do.

I will certainly take any cap I can (and I have taken PLENTY as a BB main)  but to expect the team to not have spotting and spout 'rules' about CAs/BBs getting into the same cap he does not want to.... beyond silly.

spotting only works if the team can actually hit what your spotting

its quite demoralizing for a dd to risk his neck spotting target for a full minute and watch shells fall in the water while your dodging radar torps and being focus fired by half the enemy team

a team that doesnt move in to support the front deserves to lose

simple has that

• Cool 2

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
468 posts
8 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Want to see what a DD does at tier X? Check out my last game. My big mistake was not getting closer to the CV and to its side to torp it. However, seeing that the Worcester was on the way, perhaps I did the right thing anyway. I figured that my team was going to win even if I died so I committed as taking out a CV can be a game winner. I came in 2nd on the team.

If you don't want to watch, I hunted and killed a DD then capped two caps and killed a CV. That was about all I did but it contributed to a team win.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/wb2wb33d66rkqyx/20180722_150030_PASD013-Gearing-1945_18_NE_ice_islands.wowsreplay

shot-18_07.22_15_28.13-0071.thumb.jpg.e3dc073cf1768ef589380da83fd7043a.jpg

im not gonna watch i have tons of replays on my gearing where i faught tooth and nails while my team was sitting at 30km from the match

it sickens me

[SALVO]
Members
17,049 posts
17,674 battles
1 hour ago, CylonRed said:

Cylon, if the enemy has BBs and/or CA/CL's on a cap, a DD would be profoundly nuts to get on that cap, if doing so would put him in radar range, if not outright visual spotting range.  Tier 10 BBs can completely trash DDs, if the player has decent aim.  And it doesn't get any better when a cruiser is shooting at you.

These aren't "new rules".  They're just common sense.

[NSEW]
[NSEW]
Members
419 posts
8,110 battles
1 hour ago, Spartias said:

Context matters... bad dd players will misinterpret tactical situations as an excuse to never cap. Bad heavies will misinterpret the tactical situation as being necessary to suicide in.

C(context out of 100) + S (Scope out of 100) - BV (Biased View out of 100)  =  "Balance"  percentage

100 + 100 - 0.1 = 100%  

Wait what?! Where's the other 99.9? ..."Balance". Regulars will get the "joke".

Edited by LowSpeed_US

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,345 posts
9,536 battles
2 hours ago, CylonRed said:

Probably just a DD driver that is fed up with teammates supporting him by hiding behind an island so that they can't fire on anything that the DD spots. It always seems that if my team does this, the reds somehow know it and a radar cruiser or three will drive into the cap to erase any DD's with impunity.

These days, in my Shimakaze, I'll head for the edge of the cap with the best escape route that I can find, and watch my teammates behind me. If they start piling up behind the islands where they can't shoot anything, I'll write the game off and go looking for things to torpedo, because I've been hung out to dry more than once too often. If the team stays where they can shoot something, I'll try and cap.

This is fairly typical of a game gone well in a destroyer, If you look at the eastern end of the map, you can see the behavior I've referring to

Edited by SgtBeltfed
  • Cool 2

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
468 posts
31 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Probably just a DD driver that is fed up with teammates supporting him by hiding behind an island so that they can't fire on anything that the DD spots. It always seems that if my team does this, the reds somehow know it and a radar cruiser or three will drive into the cap to erase any DD's with impunity.

These days, in my Shimakaze, I'll head for the edge of the cap with the best escape route that I can find, and watch my teammates behind me. If they start piling up behind the islands where they can't shoot anything, I'll write the game off and go looking for things to torpedo, because I've been hung out to dry more than once too often. If the team stays where they can shoot something, I'll try and cap.

yea i started telling the teams just that in my gearing

im going to this cap move to these islands to support me if you guys dont im going hunting to farm some pts like you guys

sometimes it works sometime it doesnt

communication is the key and teamplay

if all else fails screw it ill go try to torp something

my 2cents

Members
3,468 posts
6,165 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

Cylon, if the enemy has BBs and/or CA/CL's on a cap, a DD would be profoundly nuts to get on that cap, if doing so would put him in radar range, if not outright visual spotting range.  Tier 10 BBs can completely trash DDs, if the player has decent aim.  And it doesn't get any better when a cruiser is shooting at you.

These aren't "new rules".  They're just common sense.

But he would not know that because - he never bothered to to even see if there were any there, like the other DDs I have played with who at a minimum - HAVE done that in nearly every game where a DD is spawned on my side.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,402 posts
3,875 battles

Something tells me someone doesn't understand how radar influences destroyer play.

• Cool 1