Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Imperial_Magnate

Secondary Spec American CA

7 comments in this topic

[-IRS-]
[-IRS-]
Beta Testers
53 posts
2,433 battles

I was admiring some of my American ship models when I realized that high tier American CAs have almost as much secondary firepower as their BB contemporaries. Yes the American BBs have 10 total secondary guns but they are set up 5 to a side, with no ability to fire at ships on the opposing side. Where as the CAs have 6 total guns but 2 can fire at both sides, thus giving them a broadside weight of 4 guns vs 5 guns of a BB. So what would happen if we gave an American CA the same secondaries the Massachusetts currently has? It would be a terrifying setup in theory, good with AA, and secondaries while still having a respectable main battery. I am not sure what they would have to give up in order to make it balanced though and if such a ship were to be made it would likely be a premium. Fun concept though. Thoughts?

Edited by Imperial_Magnate

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,236 posts
4,801 battles

Novel concept to be sure however, any situation a CA found itself in where secondaries would be useful would almost certainly be seconds away from deletion by a BB 

Members
6,903 posts
7,508 battles

A secondary spec for a USN cruiser, the vast majority of cruisers, really, is a very bad idea. It isn't even a good idea for virtually all the USN BB's.

[DOG]
Members
431 posts
5,748 battles

Well, since you don't have torpedoes, it might (on rare occasions) be helpful for killing a mostly dead DD coming around an island before it could launch torps.  Or at least get you the occasional "It's just a flesh wound" award.  Probably wouldn't happen very often though.

Members
16,048 posts
14,436 battles

I had a crazy idea long, long ago to try Secondary Spec Cleveland in 2016 :Smile_popcorn:People were trying to talk me out of that very unwise move, which it was :Smile_teethhappy:

It just doesn't work well.  The 127mm USN DP guns are heavily, heavily nerfed from what they really were.  Historically they shot even faster than the version we find in this game's Massachusetts, did you know that?  Secondary Spec is just as, or more expensive than the typical AA Build, all for gains that will be used even less than AA.  And even with the heavy investment of Secondary Spec, you still have slow firing secondaries with mediocre range.  I tried the Cleveland Secondaries Build long ago because I was running into DDs and figured the extra guns would help kill them faster.  They don't.  They occasionally fire shells at all, they're inaccurate, they hardly connected.  It was a failed experiment.

Secondary Spec Cruiser isn't really going to scare anyone.  The DD isn't going to get THAT close to you unless they were absolute idiots.  Des Moines with AFT & SBM2 installed only reaches to 8.6km.  It still has a pathetic 6 second base reload time.  The mass, volume, and rate of fire from the secondaries just looks bad.  Montana has better secondaries than any USN ship in the game, but she reaches out only to that same 8.6km, and even I consider a Secondary Build on her to be garbage.  So a USN Cruiser with fewer and worse Secondaries, squishy armor, is a poor Secondaries Build candidate, IMO.  No BB is going to be scared by the small light show of your Cruiser secondaries.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

As someone who champions SB Cruisers, the downsides to the build makes the choice to run one questionable. 

Before the Line shuffle the best USN SB Cruiser was Cleveland. She out ranged all the ships of equal or lower tier for Secondary Range. But with the move to T8 those secondaries don't stand out. 

As for build options for you there's a only really 2 CMDR Tier 4 skills to pick from for variation of builds. 

IFHE or MFCSB. If you're building Secondaries or AA (the backup plan), the skills on a Cruiser will be CE first, then AFT. You're then looking to gauge your playstyle and how you maximize secondaries. 

If you brawl with BBs and other Cruisers then IFHE will help for better alpha damage against their armour plating. 

If you predominantly use secondaries against DDs then MFCSB, with it's boost in accuracy is greatly beneficial. There's also the slight element of surprise because your SBs only shoot when a target is selected; being a CACL, have secondaries reaching out to 7.2 - 9km is unexpected. 

The only problem with USN CACLs and Secondary Builds is that 9/10 you're running Radar. And no DD that spots you or knows you're in their location will be hovering outside your Radar range, which is generally larger than your ship's Secondaries. 

---

My current USN CL cmdr is spec'd for IFHE Secondary. He's doing well on Massachusetts, Cleveland, and Missouri. 

My USN CA cmdr will likely be MFCSB spec'ed. Although if I'm not feeling it he's got BBs to sit comfortable in. 

Sign in to follow this