You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LowSpeed_US

Performance review of yours truly

14 comments in this topic

[NSEW]
[NSEW]
Members
422 posts
8,169 battles

Hello all fellow Captains,

As an intermediate player (approaching 2 years?). I have primarily concentrated on grinding out the available ships via regular means (ship XP) to unlock the next ship up in the tech trees. Selling previous ships, then unlocking & buying the next ship up. Sometimes, keeping the previous ship in port because I had enough credits. I have tried Coop mode many times, to test the newly unlocked ship, and adjust her accordingly to my preferred play style vs the ongoing meta at the time.

To cut to the chase, I would like you all to have a look at my stats and give me a form of a SWOT analysis if you can spare the time.

Imagine I am on the opposite team, and you have access to stats before the round starts. What factors would you take away from the available stats shown?

Also, out side of the game. If you were to have a look at the stats pages. What kind of conclusion would you arrive to?

WarShips.Today page

WOWS Stats & Numbers page

I'm posting this as primarily, I'd like to improve my performance more, I believe there must be something I've missed to improve my per game/battle performances. Also, feel free to be direct and to the point, in fact I'd prefer such methods. This old man can take a punch or two, or should by now.

Many thanks in advance. 

Best Wishes,

LowSpeed_US

p.s. unrelated note, my name should've been "LowSpeed_NA", but alas 2500 doubloons for name change is a tad too much to justify. Playing from EU actually. Average ping 101ms~120ms

Edited by LowSpeed_US

[ASHIP]
Members
597 posts
5,316 battles

Right, I looked through your stats and wrote down some bullet points that came to mind. Haven't edited these much for tone, so if I seem too harsh it's just because I haven't included as many qualifiers as is probably needed. Overall, you appear to be a decent player with a nice mix of ships who still has plenty of room for improvement but clearly understands the basic principles of the game. Lastly, I'll just mention that we should all be cautious in interpreting these statistics, since they are very limited and can only really be properly understood in the context of watching your gameplay.

Overall:
-Good mix of BBs, CAs and DDs played, as well as a good mixture of nations. Does about equally well with each ship type. Nicely rounded player.

-Overall all stats are consistently a smidge above average. 

-Normal progression curve with tier 7 being the most played.

-Most played ships are Missouri and tier 7 premiums.

-Does best at tiers 3/4 and 7/8, worst at tiers 5/6 and 9/10.

-Very consistent performance (neither improving nor getting worse) since about 3500 battles.

BBs:
-Slightly low hit rate and relatively high survival rate (tends to have higher survival rate than winrate). Seems somewhat cautious (not necessarily a bad thing). Could focus on improving aim though.

-Does worst in medium tier Germans, with relatively low damage and survival rate (still quite high though). Maybe needs to practice how/when to execute a good push in a BB. Is ok in USN high tier BBs. Does best in low/medium tier slow moving dreadnoughts (NewMexico, Warspite, North Carolina), in which his low hit rate/high survival rate are especially pronounced.

CAs:

-Again, quite high survival rate paired with relatively low hit rate. Especially for what is typically expected in light cruisers.

-Hasn't yet figured out how to aim with cleveland shells. May be staying at too long range.

-Does very poorly in IJN CAs despite relatively high hit rate (but also lower survival rate than usual). Main problem in RN CAs is low damage output. Does well in USN CAs.

DDs:
-Low torpedo hit rate paired with high main battery hit rate and a surprisingly high average frag rate compared to the damage suggests that he focuses on fighting other DDs.

-Needs to improve torpedo hit rate.

Edited by senseNOTmade
  • Cool 1

[-VT-]
Members
384 posts
23,118 battles

Strengths:

Well, you have 7k battles so you should have a clue.

50% win rate is better than many...and can still be improved upon.

Weaknesses:

Decidedly average across three ship classes.  Roughly same number of battles, win rate and xp in BB, DD and CA.  Your lack of really learning one class makes you hard to take seriously in any competitive format.

You have no CV experience at all.  That lack would suggest you might be an easy target to a CV driver and a liability in a game with CVs.

You have little competitive experience.  Little in Ranked.  What of CB, SL, KoTS or TB?    Lack of such experience is a liability to a team.

Your win rate drops off at higher tiers and has dropped overall recently.  Your graph lines should be trending up.

You played in 4 Ranked seasons...but played little in each.  Did you get discouraged?  Did you start blaming your team/others?  The lack of persistence/perseverance is a question.

Opportunities:

You can still focus on one ship class and get your stats up.

Competitive opportunities abound.  Take advantage.  You need time/games in such formats.

Today your eyes may open a bit.  Happens to all of us.  Sail forth and conquer, captain.

People will help if you ask.  So ask.  This post is a good start.

Threats:

Yourself.   Only thing stopping you from getting better is yourself.  Take ownership of every game.  Do the best you can.  Blame nobody.  Learn and improve.

Time.  A limited resource for all of us.

The people you surround yourself with.   There are some great folks in WoWs...and there are some toxic individuals.  Avoid the latter.

Clan.  If your clan doesn't give you competitive opportunities and surround you with good, helpful teammate then you might should consider moving on.

My two cents.  You asked.

Happy to answer any additional questions.

Sabene

• Cool 1

[NSEW]
[NSEW]
Members
422 posts
8,169 battles
17 minutes ago, senseNOTmade said:

-Most played ships are Missouri and tier 7 premiums.

That is due to me trying to earn as much credits per battle, using premium ships. I'm not ashamed to say. :)

As stated, most researched ships were sold. So that to have sufficient credits to purchase the next tier up (unlocked). Approaching 2 years of Warships, I haven't really collected as many ships in port as others have. For which I'm acutely aware of.

17 minutes ago, senseNOTmade said:

-Hasn't yet figured out how to aim with cleveland shells. May be staying at too long range

What an observation indeed! I have been using her (mostly) from a stand off distances versus hiding her and holding choke points. Some what akin to Russian Cruisers. I tried to employ tactic that is not expected from a Cleveland, hoping to throw the opposition off or just being "out of the box". Still grinding her out for Seattle/Worcester.

19 minutes ago, senseNOTmade said:

Haven't edited these much for tone, so if I seem too harsh it's just because I haven't included as many qualifiers as is probably needed

Nothing wrong with the tone whatsoever. In fact, your tone was well received.

Thank you very much for your inputs! It is always good to have a another set of eyes to understand. Again thank you @senseNOTmade

Please keep them coming! Your critiques are really helpful!

[NSEW]
[NSEW]
Members
422 posts
8,169 battles
5 minutes ago, Sabene said:

Weaknesses:

Decidedly average across three ship classes.  Roughly same number of battles, win rate and xp in BB, DD and CA.  Your lack of really learning one class makes you hard to take seriously in any competitive format.

You have no CV experience at all.  That lack would suggest you might be an easy target to a CV driver and a liability in a game with CVs.

You have little competitive experience.  Little in Ranked.  What of CB, SL, KoTS or TB?    Lack of such experience is a liability to a team.

Your win rate drops off at higher tiers and has dropped overall recently.  Your graph lines should be trending up.

You played in 4 Ranked seasons...but played little in each.  Did you get discouraged?  Did you start blaming your team/others?  The lack of persistence/perseverance is a question.

Hello @Sabene,

Thank you for your input. For the moment, I shall focus on the "Weakness" first. I suppose from the stats, it comes across as an "average" player. I don't mind that at all, better than "below-average". I think that stat is possibly of that fact that I play all classes per session. I don't particularly focus on one class only. Contrary to my no CV stat. I have purchased a CV and played roughly 4 games (to my recollection) then sold and never looked back. My lack of competitive experience comes from a lack of competitive opportunities within the clan (which I started for my friends to enjoy the benefits). We have played one session. Did really well. So far didn't have the opportunity to do another, yet. As for Ranked. Main reason for not being 'Ranked out", is time. I choose not to get into the small details of 'what went wrong'. I'd rather see the matter with a macro view, specially in Ranked. Besides 'it makes the medicine go down' better.  However, to be frank. I have at times got discouraged, but didn't outwardly blame team members. I just carried on with available time period to partake in the Ranked seasons. I set a goal Rank 10, and ended at Rank 8. Which for me at the time was a satisfactory.

Thank you very much for your input!

[NSEW]
[NSEW]
Members
422 posts
8,169 battles
2 hours ago, Sabene said:

Opportunities:

You can still focus on one ship class and get your stats up.

Competitive opportunities abound.  Take advantage.  You need time/games in such formats.

Today your eyes may open a bit.  Happens to all of us.  Sail forth and conquer, captain.

People will help if you ask.  So ask.  This post is a good start.

Reading this back (for the 3rd time), I thought about your suggestion, in particular the first sentence. "focus on one ship class and get your stats up".

Whilst I wouldn't mind doing this, wouldn't this sort of skew the calculation of ones stat? Or does that not matter?

(I've noticed that by not playing my BBs for few days, it dropped significantly in the past)

It's opened my eyes certainly, and I'm certainly asking for help. I'm not above water yet. :)

[NSEW]
[NSEW]
Members
422 posts
8,169 battles
3 hours ago, senseNOTmade said:

-Very consistent performance (neither improving nor getting worse) since about 3500 battles.

This actually concerns me. Whilst it's good to maintain a consistent performance (as you've put it kindly), I'm here to ask for your help in making this a consistent improvement performance. Greedy I know, haha.

To explain further on other points. I have with BBs (Dreadnoughts) in particular. I have grinded through them and didn't look back. I was trying to go up the tech tree. I have so far unlocked the FDG (bought twice, sold twice for credits now regretting the choices). However, I have no interest in progressing the German BB line for the time being. Their brawling aspect is attractive, but their main gun accuracy somehow is not (of course I can practice to make it better) in comparison to other ships. Also, I prefer the 3 gun (plus) per turret set up than the Germans 2 gun set up. 

3 hours ago, senseNOTmade said:

Does best in low/medium tier slow moving dreadnoughts (NewMexico, Warspite, North Carolina)

This sentence got me thinking; Shall I revisit these lines and play them more? or shall I instead improve on the T7's. There has to be an acceptable Match Making bracket here...

I'm acutely aware that, T8's are painfully over matched with higher tier ships in high frequency for me. Which is already placing myself at a disadvantage to start with.

As for Destroyers. I have lately been fooling around with Blyskawica. Gun boat DD, with high detection. I have enjoyed her limits, as well as her abilities. I think that fact has something to do with the stats results?  In either case, I shall switch to using torpedo's more often to bring that stat up. Thank you again @senseNOTmade

[-VT-]
Members
384 posts
23,118 battles

LowSpeed,

If you like to play all ship types, then have at it.  My suggestion is that if you wish to get your overall stats up AND be seen as 'good' in a ship type AND have a definitive role on a team....then focus on one ship class until you get there.  I am not saying play 100% of the time in that class but two games out of three isn't unheard of.

Right now you are not really that skilled in any one type.  So, if you are playing Clan Battles how do you get slotted?  BB?  DD?  CA?  Whatever the team needs?  Commendable and helpful, to be sure, but are you really a skilled asset in whatever ship/type you play?   That is the question.  You know you...so what is the answer?

Me, I play DD.  Sure, I can fill in at CA easily enough but am I a better asset to my team with 500+ competitive battles (not randoms) in my YueYang or maybe 25 in my Zao/Minotaur/DesMoines/Hindy?   Seriously.  I can play CA fine and support the team but in a DD I am a true asset and a serious threat to the opposing team.

There are only so many games you can play and only so much time.  Few people can really excel in more than one ship class.  Knowing this I focused on my favorite ship type.  

I have a friend in WoWs who is a great guy and a very helpful fellow.  He loves his ships.  Has over 150 ships, plays them all and if he has ever sold a ship I do not know it.  But guess what?  His game stats are no better than average.  Also, he has no competitive focus or specialty so in a competitive format he is largely a liability.  I mean, if you are choosing a team to win do you take the guy with two hundred competitive games and a 55% win rate in randoms or the guy with no competitive games and a 50% win rate?

You want to get better?  Then play the ship(s) you want to get better in.  You can only improve in what you play and you only have so much time to spread among all your ships.

Do a test for yourself.  Pick a tier.  Play 10 games in that tier with all ship types.  Then play 10 games in that tier with one particular ship type.  In which set of ten games do you think you will do better?

My bet is the latter group of ten.  Was for me.  And that metric holds for larger samplings.

• Cool 2

[ASHIP]
Members
597 posts
5,316 battles
30 minutes ago, LowSpeed_US said:

This actually concerns me. Whilst it's good to maintain a consistent performance (as you've put it kindly), I'm here to ask for your help in making this a consistent improvement performance. Greedy I know, haha.

It's a fair concern to be sure. The problem is that while your stats do show room for improvement, they do not show any particular glaring weakness aside from a somewhat low hit rate for main batteries and torps. So aside from suggesting that practicing your aim might be a good place to start, there isn't really that much specific advice I can give you.

On a general level though I would say that looking at your stats together with your in-game plays can be very helpful. I find thinking about each battle after it has ended a very useful exercise; trying to understand what decisions I made when, and what I could have done differently to avoid something or make a better play. Over time, I will develop a unique playstyle for each ship and each map which is informed by both statistics and my experience. Statistics are at their most useful when you see them as a reflection of in-game decisions.

1 hour ago, LowSpeed_US said:

This sentence got me thinking; Shall I revisit these lines and play them more? or shall I instead improve on the T7's. There has to be an acceptable Match Making bracket here...

I have similar problems since in general I don't have enough credits to keep most ships. My solution has been to categorise ships by playstyle (for instance, even though each have their own quirk, most of those low/mid tier dreadnought BBs do have a very similar playstyle) and then to keep only one or two examples from each category that I particularly enjoyed. So I wouldn't bother buying back all the dreadnoughts, but maybe the NewMexico and Waspite would be good picks. Something like that.

Lastly, I just wanted to quickly say that it is perfectly possible to farm statistics. Players who charge in mindlessly can often have very good main battery hit rates, but still are't very good players. It's also possible to raise your stats in general simply by playing a single tier, type or individual ship over and over again. While this can be a useful exercise if you really want to practice the minutia of a specific playstyle, it also tends to make players inflexible and make it seem as if they understand the game when really they've just memorised how to play a specific map. That's why it's important to always view your stats in the context of your gameplay.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
1,082 posts
7,312 battles

Some good feedback provided above.  I won't attempt to rehash those items.  Overall you seem like a decent, slightly above average player.

I chose to look at your battleship play.  I feel like a player who can play mid to high tier battleships well has 1) decent aim, 2) good decision making, and 3) fairly strategic thinking.  Knowing battleship play well I feel like can translate into being able to play cruisers and DDs well, applying your successes from battleships in reverse, so to speak.  Knowing how to punish a misplayed cruiser, for example, will help you know what to avoid when playing a cruiser.

I chose to look at your tier VIII USN BBs.  Alabama, North Carolina, and Missouri.  

Pros:

You have "good" average damage on all 3 per the WOWS Numbers rating system, but not great.

Cons:

Your main battery hit rate is ~22-25% which is low.  You should try to shoot for 30-35% or so.

Conclusions and suggestions:

I suspect what's happening is that you're hanging back a bit too much and not giving yourself the opportunity to punish opposing ships putting themselves in bad situations.  I come to this conclusion because 1) your hit rate is low, 2) your survival rate is NOT low, and 3) your damage is only slightly above average.  If you were rushing in and getting killed early, we'd probably see your hit rate go up and your survival rate go down, while your average damage would stay about the same.  If you were to push up a bit more, without over committing, your hit rate and thus damage would both both go up and your influence on the battle would also increase, leading to higher win rates.

For USN BBs, ideal engagement ranges are probably in the 12-15km range.  That's just at or beyond your concealment range if properly equipped and skilled (make sure you're equipping the concealment module and concealment expert skill).  That let's you get in closer to the action, then blap enemy ships showing you a juicy broadside.

Shot selection in a BB is crucial.  Because you have to wait 25-30 seconds for another salvo, don't waste your shots on highly angled BBs if you have softer, more vulnerable targets available (like cruisers or broadside BBs).  However, take any shots you can on DDs within 10-12km...practice hitting these little buggers.  It won't help your damage or hit rate, but it can GREATLY turn a match in your favor.  With the current mechanics, BBs are some of the best DD punishers if the DD gets spotted in close.

Place yourself in a spot on the match to have influence.  Don't sail off to the 1 or 10 lines.  You can't influence the match over there much.  Get into a position where you can punish and can make the enemy worry about you.  Just being in a good spot can keep cruisers from turning in to threaten your DDs, for example.  They are too worried about getting blapped by you.

A personal experience:

I can relate a bit to where your stats are.  My North Carolina, a ship that I rushed up to get early in my WOWS career, is not a ship I played well.  I have a similarly low hit rate on her, and my damage figures aren't great either.  I often put myself in bad positions and got killed too quickly, or I stayed at too long a range and didn't do much.  My BB play ironically took a positive turn when I got the German BBs like Tirpitz and Bismarck.  They BEG to get in a bit closer so their secondaries can sing, and their inaccurate main battery demands it too.  After that, I was better able to position myself to get better hits more of the time.  My hit rate is significantly better in Alabama compared to NC, even though the ship itself is less accurate.  It's all about the skill set that I had/have when playing the respective ships.  I haven't played NC much lately, so you can look at my stats on the two ships as "NC = noob, Alabama = veteran".  Not that I'm amazing all of the time...I still have a fair amount of misplays or stupid mistakes.  And sometimes getting in close can reveal the entire enemy fleet just around that island, which is always fun.

I hope this helps!

Edited by RightYouAreKen

[NSEW]
[NSEW]
Members
422 posts
8,169 battles

Hello @RightYouAreKen,

Thank you very much for your post. It was pleasant to read, and informative. I'll try to explain my typical BB play/methods from the past (and current) for you (not the games with out of the box methods).

I'll use the examples of BBs you've highlighted above. As you've correctly observed, the NC at the moment is to unlock the tech tree of the USN line. I suspect my per game statistics aren't as good as other ships what I approach differently (i.e. Atlanta, nothing to grind).  Alabama, I temporarily stopped playing her. Since of late, the match making for T8s most always placed me versus higher tiers. I figured I'd rather be in a battle that is more on even grounds to start with. This may be a poor excuse, however I hope you understand my current mindset. Maybe I'll change my approach to the match making slightly differently, who knows.

Your pointers; concealment plus being in 12-15 km range. That is something I haven't really set my self up in frequency yet. With Cruisers, DDs, sure. But not with BBs.  I usually stay behind our Cruisers, and provide support. If I see an opportunity (on main screen, and on minimap), I almost always exploit it (hopefully with other players in tow). Having said this. upon quick review of my BB gun play. I have noticed that my range to target was higher than that of your suggestions. I will try the 'in your face' method more and report back to ya. Also, I tend to take shots at less than ideal targets too (angled, in cover, etc). Maybe a reduction in those shot choices would mitigate my hit rates. 

You're absolutely correct and to the point with German BBs in making comparisons. 

So to summerise for the time being:

Shot placement

Engagement range

Targets of opportunity (DDs)

Again, thank you very much for spending the time to respond to this thread.

[-K-]
Members
1,082 posts
7,312 battles

Glad to help, and hope it's useful. 

As personal anecdote, I'm always disappointed if I fire a BB salvo and only do 3k damage.  To me it's a signal that I probably should have either 1) held off for a better shot on that target, or 2) fired on a more "receptive" target (or 3, prayed to RNGesus more).  Of course, the balance to all of this is target priority from a strategic point of view.  I will always take a shot on a nearly dead opponent as opposed to one that's maybe a little more vulnerable but has mid to high health levels.  Getting ships out of the games is very important too.  So don't be that guy trying to just pad your damage figures either :)

I feel like leveraging concealment on BBs is a bit underappreciated.  You can't even get the concealment module until tier VIII, so most players aren't used to the idea of a stealth BB.  I think that's part of why some players aren't taking advantage of it.  But all of the high tier USN BBs have min concealment ranges in the 12-13km range or so.  Couple that with the long reload cycle, it means that if you stay just outside of that range, you're dropping off detection 20 seconds after every shot, for at least 5-10 seconds.  That 1) minimizes incoming fire on you, 2) let's you reposition if need be, and 3) lets enemies forget about you and place their broadsides right in front of you for the smack down.   

For example, the stock Alabama, with no concealment module or concealment expert skill is 16.2km detection range.  With these skills/modules, it's about 12.2km.  That's a big difference in how close you can get in stealth before firing.  Could be the difference between some solid citadel hits and marginal damage.

Edited by RightYouAreKen

[NSEW]
[NSEW]
Members
422 posts
8,169 battles
15 hours ago, RightYouAreKen said:

Your main battery hit rate is ~22-25% which is low.  You should try to shoot for 30-35% or so.

Well according to WOWS Stats & Numbers, I have surpassed the threshold of 25%. It is now 25.06% lol.

Joking aside. I have been more patient with target selections, and holding off for a juicier broadsides.