grahaa

Mac - Move game files to external 3.0 USB driver or SSD

4 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
261 battles

Is there a way to move the larger game files or the whole game to an external SSD? The 59+ gig or so is eating too much space. I have an external 1TB USB 3.0 drive that I would like to migrate my data or even a clean install.

I looked in the app package and found the installer config file. It appears some drive paths updates could do the trick but I had no luck.

Any advice?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,665 posts
9,071 battles

I am not a Mac person but the game will run a lot better on an internal drive, preferably an SSD.

• Cool 1

[NBGC]
Members
331 posts
3,565 battles

Not really sure. I suppose you could uninstall the game and Launcher, download the Launcher to your external SSD. Then open the Launcher and it should install the game on that SSD (I think?). 

I've never tried this before or heard of anyone trying it, so don't take my word fully. 

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
136 posts
5,040 battles

Typically, and bare with me as I am more of a PC person than Mac, but most systems will NOT allow you to install programs onto removable storage devices like an External drive. The 2 biggest reasons for this are 1) drive letter changes when devices are disconnected and reconnected for whatever reason and 2) data transfer speeds, even over USB 3. What you SHOULD be able to do is do a complete uninstall and reinstall. This should help with some space as I do believe the game keeps the downloaded updates cached in a folder. Of course, you could also get a harddrive upgrade, which you'll likely have to go to an Apple store or certified Apple repair shop for.