You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Slimeball91

Atago Ship of the Day, 30% off, 7/22

29 comments in this topic

[SBS]
Members
2,486 posts
2,253 battles

Atago Ship of the Day, 30% off, 7/22.  Don't miss out, this is only a one day sale.

@thebigblue Here's your chance for the Atago.

• Cool 3

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,238 posts
4,807 battles

My first premium and was way over my head playing her. Now she's a go to fun ship but you need at minimum a 14pt+ captain to make her work well.

Beta Testers
25 posts
4,089 battles

Yes at this price I would recommend , but as other players have said you need a good captain & experience playing ijn cruisers, but that said you can make credits with this ship

[90THD]
[90THD]
Members
2,760 posts
2,067 battles
Just now, _Bunyan_ said:

Glad I got my ARP for free

without the actual premium camo that Atago has.

[SIDE]
Members
1,442 posts
1 hour ago, Slimeball91 said:

Atago Ship of the Day, 30% off, 7/22.  Don't miss out, this is only a one day sale.

@thebigblue Here's your chance for the Atago.

On it. Very pleased to see this offering. 

[-ARP-]
Members
294 posts
14,017 battles
13 minutes ago, Hurlbut said:

without the actual premium camo that Atago has.

Idc for the special camo bonus. The ship does the job that the Atago does for free. Why on earth would you spend money for a ship if you got a clone for free.

Side note I have over ~50 premium ships and before I got the ARP it never crossed my mind to buy it.

[-ARP-]
Members
294 posts
14,017 battles

Question .. is the Eugen better than the Atago?

I mean both now have heal and that is what made the Atago worth getting.

[90THD]
[90THD]
Members
2,760 posts
2,067 battles
1 minute ago, _Bunyan_ said:

what made Atago worth getting was her stealth with good guns and torpedoes. She has more guns than Eugen as well.

[RKLES]
Members
7,229 posts
9,022 battles
1 hour ago, Jim_Byrnes said:

My first premium and was way over my head playing her. Now she's a go to fun ship but you need at minimum a 14pt+ captain to make her work well.

And being good in Myoko and Mogami really helps since Atago is pretty similar to those except it gets heals. 

Members
2,129 posts
24 minutes ago, _Bunyan_ said:

Eugen is more forgiving and lacks good DPM. Atago has terrible AA, weak rudder and a high citadel. But has great stealth and torps. They'er about equal in skilled hands. 

Edited by MorbidGamer
  • Bad 1

Beta Testers
87 posts
4,115 battles

I'd say that in the hands of a good player, the great stealth cancels out the citadel vulnerability. What are you talking about the ship turns very well

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,229 posts
9,022 battles
2 minutes ago, MorbidGamer said:

Eugen is more forgiving and lacks good DPM. Atago has terrible AA, weak rudder and a high citadel. But has great stealth and torps. There are about equal in skilled hands. 

Atago also have very narrow hull, which makes it very good at evading fire bow or stern on since not much of anything to hit when she is like that.

Members
2,129 posts
2 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Atago also have very narrow hull, which makes it very good at evading fire bow or stern on since not much of anything to hit when she is like that.

I got about 1,500 games in mine and BB's have no problem landing 30-50% of their shells on me if they know how to aim. 

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,890 posts
8,277 battles

The Atago is an incredible premium at her level, she has the best Torps at T8 for any ship that is a premium.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,238 posts
4,807 battles
17 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

And being good in Myoko and Mogami really helps since Atago is pretty similar to those except it gets heals. 

So true Myoko really prepped me for Atago especially the quirky torp arcs. As to PE I have her as well and before the buff was a rusty port queen. The heal makes her a different ship instead of hiding and skulking behind islands you can get in there mix it up and pull back for another go without getting deleted. This is good for bullying a DD in a cap and makes the torps actually useful in a quasi brawl situation. 

Members
628 posts

Agree with the other posters. This is not a premium ship for intermediate players. Good IJN Captain trainer for someone with Tier 8-10 experience in very thin skin Cruisers. 

Others should wait for better ships 

[PSP]
Members
6,328 posts
8,952 battles

Even with the introduction of new ships and the power creep that entails, the Atago still holds its own, even when uptiered. I play mine like a large DD. I also have RPF on it so actual DDs can't sneak up on me. I got into a gunfight and torpedo brawl with an Atago while in my Gearing today. I eventually won but it was really close. If I hadn't been able to smoke up just at the last moment with a teammate spotting the Atago would have won. The Atago has poorer firing arcs but actually has more torpedoes than a Shimakaze.  Once, I ran into a cap only to find a Yamato to the right of me and a Montana to the left. Both were on partial health but I thought I was done for sure. I let loose my starboard and port torpedoes and, to my amazement, sank both ships. If you don't have it, and it's on sale, I'd consider getting one.

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles

I enjoy the Atago quite a bit - but I agree with others that she is best with a good skipper and some familiarity with IJN cruisers.

I like to play her up close, rain a salvo of magma on someone, then use her stealth to disappear.  Atago has really good torp angles on her forward tubes, and she can deny channels, and clear smoke and caps better than her TT contemporaries.

I don't find her to be a strong ship when played in the open, while she has pretty good maneuverability - she is a little too frail to expose to the fires of more than a couple of ships at a time.

She's a pretty good credit earner, as well - especially as she gets up-tiered into T10, where the HP pools are generous and where Atago can hold her own nicely.

Spoiler

P5gGT4B.jpg

[WOLF5]
Members
279 posts
5,266 battles

Dang it, "only" 30% off, I was hoping for 50% discount.  :cap_haloween:

Still bought it, was planning on going up the IJN cruiser line that that Cat Captain I got earlier.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,396 posts
4,293 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

The Atago has poorer firing arcs but actually has more torpedoes than a Shimakaze.  

Everything is relative. The Tier 5 Tech-tree Emerald has more torpedoes than a Shimakaze, but you wouldn't take her into a Tier 10 battle unless you wanted to set new records for how soon and how spectacularly you can die.

Members
3,814 posts
14,142 battles

Why is Atago only 30% off when the previous ships were 50% off?