You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Mik6669

Which guns are best on the Conqueror

8 comments in this topic

[CLAN]
Beta Testers
203 posts
11,015 battles

I haven’t had the Conqueror very long and I just got enough XP to research the turret upgrade. 

I’ve read the wiki and they seem to recommend staying with the stock rifles and not upgrading to the larger ones since you lose ⅓ of the rifles and there’s an increased reload time. 

I’m looking for advice from others who’ve played her more which turrets they went with and why. 

Thanks in advance. 

[-VT-]
Members
337 posts
6,659 battles

The reload time actually stays the same, and you do get increased sigma with the 457mm guns.  Unfortunately, they offer no real benefit over having the 419mm guns,  and losing 4 shells per salvo to use the 457s is not worth it.

[SPTR]
Members
25,791 posts
11,083 battles

Stay with the stock guns and fire HE unless a cruiser or a larger go broadside at a range where your shell trajectory is flat then fire AP.

[SALVO]
Members
17,053 posts
17,692 battles

The 16" guns are probably best, but I wouldn't completely dismiss the 18" guns.  They seem entirely playable.

[SIDE]
Members
730 posts
3,265 battles

Now if the 18" Guns didn't have that silly "Shortened Fuse" for AP.... There might be a valid discussion.

Sadly though, It's just 16" guns all the way.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,085 posts
14,482 battles

419mm guns >>>>> 457mm guns.

Why?

12 shells thrown at someone means more chances to hit.  Not only that, multi-hit salvos are more realistic.  8 guns, even though with high sigma, has lots of chances to go wrong.

The chances of 419mm gun salvos landing multiple hits easily offsets the 457mm guns high fire chances.

12 guns as said already, is important for target area saturation for hits.  This is especially important when dealing with Destroyers.  In dealing with DDs, you need lots of shells flying to get hits.

419mm shells penetrate what they can realistically penetrate already, for anything that isn't IJN 460mm.  The 457mm shells OTOH, aren't much better.  Iowa, Montana, GK can bow tank 457mm AP just as well as they do 419mm AP.  There is only a 3mm difference between RN 457mm and IJN 460mm, but the RN 457 does not have the all-important LOLPEN / Overmatch supremacy of the Japanese gun.

You are giving up volume of fire, target saturation which could be had with 419mm guns to be replaced 8 guns with no appreciably better Overmatch capability.

Supposedly the 457s have better Sigma than the 419s, but I don't see it, and I have given the 457s numerous chances.  Really, I wanted the 457s worthy of actual use, but the reality is they are terrible guns.

[YORHA]
Members
3,325 posts

I use the Conqueror as an area denial platform.  If I see a push forming, or a BB camped and spamming AP at my team I position myself to punish them.  Nothing spreads fear and discontent like a Conqueror setting everything in sight on fire repeatedly.  And for that purpose the 419s are the way to go

I don't get a lot of kills, but it is one of the few botes I play that can actually force back several red ships pushing a flank while drawing an inordinate amount of enemy fire away from my team due to CDS. 

You do need a tank build for this approach.

Edited by JCC45