You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Avrova1904

Grinding without a Premium account, is that possible?

27 comments in this topic

Members
267 posts
4,751 battles

I don't longer want to pay for premium accounts. At this moment I am in Tier VIII BB British line Monarch and I want to go to Tier X Conqueror, I am also grinding japanese dd line, I am now with Tier VII Akatsuki and I want to go to Tier X Shimakaze, will I die before getting them?

Edited by Avrova1904

[HINON]
Members
2,273 posts
6,366 battles

It takes a long time to grind without premium.... Possible, certainly: But you must be patient and willing to just keep grinding even when it drives you insane.

The problem will begin when you get your tier 10s: without premium and/or perma camos: you are going to bleed credits unless you really, really play well and get consistant wins and top of the team.

So you'll have to play more lower tier matches to feed silver to your tier 10s

• Cool 1

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,867 posts
7,179 battles

short answer : yes

long answer : yes but it takes longer. tips : You can also obtain free premium time by helping out on the Public Test Server. Wargaming often makes a premium ship available for free (in return for completing a set of in game missions. As your account levels up, you will be able to mount special flags that will also accelerate your progression/

[WOLFB]
Members
1,742 posts
8,333 battles

It's definitely possible. I have 4 T10 and I never paid a single premium time. It takes more time to grind ship but it's possible.

For me for instance, it took me 1 or 2 year to reach my first T10 but it's because I've been grinding several ship from several nation at the same time. But I ended up unlocking my T10 almost at the same time.

[-VT-]
[-VT-]
Members
385 posts
23,214 battles

How much is your time worth, OP?

Seriously, what dollar value do you put on an hour of your time?

You can grind away without a premium account.  You do not HAVE to have premium.

But the extra hours you will put in to accomplish whatever your in-game goal is can mount up in a hurry.

The cost of a premium account is less than $12 a month.  What you get is, basically, 50% more xp per game.  So, if it takes you 120 games to grind from tier 9 to tier 10 (240k xp needed and average 2k xp per game) and it takes you roughly 15 minutes of time average per game....then you are looking at 30 HOURS of game play to make that grind with a non-premium account.  But if you had premium and you were getting 3k xp per game then the same grind would take only 80 games and 20 hours.  That is a difference of 10 hours of your precious free time to make that one grind (and I am being optimistic in my xp per game numbers.

10 hours.  

Me, I will happily trade $12 for 10 hours of my time.

People who stand on this "I'm not going to pay for a game" soapbox are just nuts.  You are paying, but with a more precious resource than money:  your time.

My example is just one grind.  As I said, the xp numbers per game are optimistic.  Use of flags/camo is not considered but those do have a cost as well.

You spend $12 on a meal out.  On a movie.  On two beers at the pub.  On taking a date for ice cream.  Come on, is it really that much to save yourself a huge amount of time each and every month?

Sabene

• Cool 8

[TMS]
Members
1,742 posts
22,088 battles
1 hour ago, Avrova1904 said:

I don't longer want to pay for premium accounts. At this moment I am in Tier VIII BB British line Monarch and I want to go to Tier X Conqueror, I am also grinding japanese dd line, I am now with Tier VII Akatsuki and I want to go to Tier X Shimakaze, will I die before getting them?

I have recently stopped paying for a premium account and with permanent camo and full clan base benefits i break even some days and what i could make in about 5 battles with prem has taken me 3 days with standard.

It seems you are not  in a clan and let's say no permanent camo then i would say you have some really stormy weather ahead.

Edited by Final8ty

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,903 posts
12,634 battles

@Avrova1904 Yes it is but it will take longer and you should focus on one line at a time for that goal you stated!

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
511 posts
5,622 battles
1 hour ago, Sabene said:

But the extra hours you will put in to accomplish whatever your in-game goal is can mount up in a hurry.

The cost of a premium account is less than $12 a month.  What you get is, basically, 50% more xp per game.  So, if it takes you 120 games to grind from tier 9 to tier 10 (240k xp needed and average 2k xp per game) and it takes you roughly 15 minutes of time average per game....then you are looking at 30 HOURS of game play to make that grind with a non-premium account.  But if you had premium and you were getting 3k xp per game then the same grind would take only 80 games and 20 hours.  That is a difference of 10 hours of your precious free time to make that one grind (and I am being optimistic in my xp per game numbers.

10 hours.  

People who stand on this "I'm not going to pay for a game" soapbox are just nuts.  You are paying, but with a more precious resource than money:  your time.

My example is just one grind.  As I said, the xp numbers per game are optimistic.  Use of flags/camo is not considered but those do have a cost as well.

You spend $12 on a meal out.  On a movie.  On two beers at the pub.  On taking a date for ice cream.  Come on, is it really that much to save yourself a huge amount of time each and every month?

Sabene

Agreed. People forget time is our most valuable asset. I'll gladly trade a little bit of my labor (time at work) to make my leisure time more efficient. Being stubbornly cheap baffles me. I realize we're not all made from money but come on.... it's like some people just have to be a martyr, and feel the need to point out they did it "without paying a dime!!" Like ok? Your point? Dedication is admirable but not when you're bragging about literally wasting time just for the sake of it.

for the record, all the premium I have now is from santa crates. Save up some money and buy some of those. I get enough goodies to sustain almost an entire year of play.

Edited by HeathenForay
  • Cool 2

Members
1,858 posts
17,674 battles
2 hours ago, Avrova1904 said:

41 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@Avrova1904 Yes it is but it will take longer and you should focus on one line at a time for that goal you stated!

^^^This...but it all depends on how much time you play each night.

If you only get 2 containers a night you should definitely stick to 1 line as CAPTMUDDXX suggested...& even though sticking to 1 line will go even quicker if you get all 3 containers every night you could balance the 2 lines at once (if just running 1 gets you burnt out) as you will have enough games between the 2 (especially as it's gonna take you about 50% extra battles to reach that goal w/out the premium time) that by the end of the night you will be warmed up enough to make up for the sluggish start if it's causing a struggle.

Higher tier play is worth more XP but you have to work harder for it.

Easiest math would be to add up all the XP for both of the grinds (mods included) & divide it by 37k (if you grind out all 3 containers...or if not divide by what you usually set your goals at) & that will tell you how many days it will take to reach that goal...but don't forget to take the 50% extra time for lack of premium into account when figuring.

[LNWLF]
Members
84 posts

Save all the signals that give you -10% to repair cost and +20% credits and use them in tier 10. I have several hundred of each and I didn't buy anything. 

I play tier 10 and I don't have premium time and I don't bleed credits. Most of the time I make a little bit of money in t10 without premium time.

If you die quickly due to a random torpedo or bad positioning those games will hurt a little but it's nothing you can't make back in one or two games at a lower tier. 

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

Possible, but not practical. If you have unlimited time on your hands, go for it.

[PVE]
Members
513 posts
4,353 battles

If you have a premium ship that you are good with and you enjoy then you shouldn't have to worry about credits. It can take a good game in your premium to offset 1 to 3 games in your T10 depending on the consumables you are equipping.

That's why I bought my De Grasse, she's fun and she produces good credits.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,718 posts
8,150 battles
4 hours ago, Avrova1904 said:

To be frank, for WoWs grinding without premium is extreemly doable given that wows is so much more rewarding than wot; More rewarding because your pretry much guaranteed to do damage = credits.

If i were you, i'd purchase a t7/8 premium ship i liked and grind credits when your main ship is sunk; thats what i did and i never looked back; Although, premium bonuses are really nice when you can no longer log on and fight twenty battles every day.

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
4,738 posts
15,394 battles

100% yes.

By the way, there are ways you can EARN premium time!

1.  Play Public Test and satisfy the requirements for premium time (one day per PT version).  THEN wait until it's a x2 or x3 weekend to redeem your day of premium time and GRIND BABY GRIND!  Stack on all xp boosting flags and xp boosting camo and BOOOM!

2.  Enter into contests.  You'll see'em from time to time.

3.  Earn doubloons from Ranked, contests, or other means and purchase premium time with those doubloons via in-port interface.

4.  Various in-game missions will give you a day of premium, such as reaching a certain rank in Ranked Battles.  I used to purposely DELAY when I started playing Ranked because one game win or lose would activate a day of premium for me. 

5.  Supercontainers can reward premium time so go for Try Your Luck if you'd like.

6.  The first campaign (Science of Victory) rewards premium time after completing it - 7 days.  I still haven't completed it yet (see #1 for reason why).

I'm sure there are more ways to earn premium....  gotta earn'em all!

• Cool 2

Members
1,866 posts
3 hours ago, Sabene said:

10 hours.  

Sabene

There are some really determined, "I don't pay for any games" people. And some zero money people, but they can play more to make up the diff. A month of premium = 12 beers.

• Cool 1

[GNAVY]
Members
30 posts
3,878 battles

I always played as a free to play player, gaining premium time from campaigns, missions and rewards in the page. I have many ships with 4-5k battles with two tier X. Hindenburg is my most played ship and even tho you lose credits pretty often you can recover it if you grind the musashi and recover credits with it. So yes you can grind as a free to play player, is not like WoT that is a hell if you dont pay money as i heard.

Members
414 posts
2,161 battles
1 hour ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

There are some really determined, "I don't pay for any games" people. And some zero money people, but they can play more to make up the diff. A month of premium = 12 beers.

Just hold up, where do you live where a beer is $1?

My 2 cents, I don’t have alot of time to play so Invest in premium so when I do I maximize what I get. Like the others its Time vs Money thing. 

• Cool 1

Members
717 posts
9,924 battles

You can play for free up to T7.  Then you better be reeeeeally good because you start to lose money from T8 onwards if your decent.  If you got a huge surplus of money to burn and don’t care, keep at it to T10. Otherwise, buy premium.

Beta Testers
1,332 posts
3,591 battles

I played without premium account back in October of last year. The progression is really slow at tier 7 and on. I would suggest getting good at tier 7 ops I have not touched them lately so they may have gotten harder. I got the Atago before I got a premium account and I grinder the crap out of it early on. Now I run premium and I have gotten much further. Those special signals I wish that they would give out more often. They make your free xp output equal to your normal xp output if that makes sense to you. I think you can get some from the aresenal in the containers with coal. 

[PSP]
Members
6,350 posts
8,977 battles

If you play long enough you will find yourself getting a bit of Premium time here and there. All told, I've probably had a couple months of it from events, operations, crates, etc.

At higher tiers you have to be better to play for free, or play one match then go back to a lower tier to make up the credits. When I first got a Fletcher I wondered how I ever was going to be able to play it. Now, I usually at least break even in my Gearing. You just have to play well, and this means getting in the top five or so of the winning team consistently.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,454 posts
4,302 battles
4 hours ago, Lord_Zath said:

gotta earn'em all!

Next thing you know, you'll be doing Pokemon Go replays.

OP, you've had good advice. What you do with it is up to you.

[DOG]
Members
438 posts
5,780 battles

I've been playing this game for about 15-16 months.  I usually play 4-8 matches per day.  I've managed to grind to Gearing, Z-52, and Yugumo.  For tier VIII, I've got Richelieu, Cleveland, and Baltimore, and I've researched Hipper, but haven't bothered to buy it yet.  Stopped at Emile Bertin on French cruiser line, and Podvoisky on Russian DD line.   Worked my way up to Fiji on RN cruiser line so far, and plan to keep grinding to Minotaur.  I did purchase a 30 day premium once, but it was part of a doubloon package.  I've purchased doubloons mostly to get permanent camos on ships I plan to keep, and to occasionally convert XP to free XP to finish that last little bit of a grind.  So it's quite possible.  There are going to be a few ships you just hate playing, and can't wait to get past.  For those, I try to play them every day until I get a win, and can collect the first-time-per-day win bonus.  And I burn flags and camos that will help grind XP.  Then I move on to the fun ships.

[HEROS]
Members
1,431 posts
12,102 battles

It is possible, but it does take longer.. By tier VIII your hitting the break even point where the cash comes in a lot slower.  At tier IX without a premium account your likely to lose money faster then you make it, more so for tier X.   If you are a little better than average you'll do ok, but high tier play is expensive, and without premium times difficult.  A few bad matches in a row and you'll bleed money.   

Members
717 posts
9,924 battles
3 hours ago, King_Zacarias said:

Just hold up, where do you live where a beer is $1?

My 2 cents, I don’t have alot of time to play so Invest in premium so when I do I maximize what I get. Like the others its Time vs Money thing. 

West Virginia.