Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Atago vs Prinz Eugen

50 comments in this topic

Members
229 posts
4,600 battles

I've up to tier 7 with cruisers and now that the Atago is 30% off is it a better ship then the PE? It's tier 8 so it will see tier 10 a lot of the time. Which ship up tiers better? Which one is more fun to play? Should I wait to see if the PE goes on sale? Currently I'm having a lot of fun playing the perth and the Fiji.

[SPTR]
Members
3,472 posts
5,731 battles

It's hard to say which one is better, the two are so vastly different in playstyle and in characteristics that a lateral comparison is hard to be unbiased.

The Atago on paper is a flat out better ship. It has a thicker armor belt, much much higher main battery gun HE alpha damage and firechance, and superior maneuverbility and concealment. So, if you are a traditional sterotypical cruiser HE spam player, the Atago is definetly for you.

The Prinz Eugen is definetly no HE spammer. Her HE, with the german 1/4 caliber penetration is defintely reliable, reliably abysmal to be quite honest.  Her armor is tailored for close quarters, making you immune to being citadeled within 10km. Her AP Alpha damage is what makes her shine. It's hard to utilize, the shells likes to bounce a lot, but when they do penetrate, oh man is it sweet. If you are skillful, opportunistic and patient, the Prinz Eugen can be a fabulous choice also!

• Cool 2

[WOLF3]
Members
16,051 posts
14,440 battles

It's kind of close.  Depends on the playstyle you want.

TLDR

Prinz Eugen - Better ranged gunfighter, better AA, very dangerous in short range, German Hydro access.  This makes her pretty flexible.

Atago - Super HE & Fire Chance, great stealth, sneaky torpedoes.  The multi-dimensional skirmishing Cruiser due to guns and torps.

Drawn out descriptions

Both Prinz Eugen and Atago got Repair Party for longevity.  The Repair Party is useless if you are getting clobbered by Battleship AP.  What it is good for, however, is dealing with Cruiser and Destroyer gunfire.  You can repair back a bunch of damage and all the fire damage they do against you, while the majority of Cruisers below Tier IX have no access to Repair Party.  Most DDs in the game have no Repair Party access.  So Repair Party access for a Tier VIII Cruiser IMO is a very big deal.  When you're top tier, this is a very decisive advantage over your lower tiered peers.

With Prinz Eugen, you basically have a CA that prefers to fight at range, but if needed, can be very dangerous inside confined waters, island infested areas.  Prinz Eugen has better gun range and the German Cruiser 203mm HE can penetrate even the 50mm decks of GK & Moskva, as well as certain portions of Khabarovsk's sides, that normal 203mm HE can't.  Keep in mind that German Cruiser HE is very mediocre in fire chance, and you do not have Roon & Hindenburg's reload speed to spam shells like them to make up for the poor fire chances.  German Cruiser AP shells also have high damage values, and Prinz is no exception.  Prinz Eugen / Admiral Hipper players have logged citadel hits against BBs like New Mexico from 15km to even max range.  Prinz has better AA, useful torpedo launch angles with a decent range of 6km.  She packs LOTS of them per side.  But her concealment is kind of trashy.  She has access to awesome German Cruiser Tier VIII Hydro, which further makes her dangerous inside confined waters.  However, that Hydro shares the same consumable slot as Defensive Fire, so choices have to be made.  Except in gun reload speed, the Tier VIII German Cruisers share more in common with Hindenburg in playstyle than Roon at Tier IX does.

Edit:  Forgot to mention it, but AlcatrazNC did.  She has a 27mm bow.  This means she can face tank up to the 15" AP shells she encounters.  She can for example, get the drop on a Bismarck, Richelieu, Alsace, or some other BB with guns small enough, charge them, and bounce their shells on your bow.  You'll survive long enough to get right up to them and plant lots of torps.  Tier VIII-X USN & German Heavy Cruisers have 27mm bows.  This tactic however, does not work against BBs with 16" or larger guns.  Those guns will Overmatch your bow.

Atago doesn't have Prinz Eugen's gun range nor the extra HE pen.  What you do get are high HE damage shells and very high fire chances.  While her 203mm HE may not pen 50mm armor, with IJN Cruiser Fire Chances as high as they are, does it really matter?  Kind of, but not really.  Atago's AP is enough to get the job done and make someone pay, but IJN Cruisers have notoriously strong HE and fire chances.  Atago's AA is worthless.  She has long ranged, powerful 10km torpedoes but care must be taken in launching them.  Do it while your enemies are looking right at you, detected, you're asking to get citadeled.  Another unique thing about Atago is that although she has the 10km torps of other IJN Cruisers in her tier range, her launch angles aren't as restrictive.  Tech Tree IJN Cruiser Torp Tube launch angles emphasize a side-rear launch, ideal for kiting.  Atago?  Think of a pie cut in quarters, those are sort of your torpedo tube launch angles.  Something that makes torpedo tactics more valid with Atago is not only does she have the long torpedo ranges, she has the stealth to pull it off.  It is however easier to do defensively as red ships push into the torps, so she can launch them outside detection range.  Because of this, Atago is a multi-dimensional threat.  She can torpedo enemies as well as spam them with gunfire.  Prinz Eugen for most of the time, can't make use of the 6km torps, especially with that kind of concealment she has.  The unique launch angles Atago has compared to other IJN Cruisers means she can use them offensively, even in confined areas.  Myoko, Mogami, Ibuki, even Zao need to be facing away to use their torps, not Atago.  Where Atago, as with other IJN Cruisrs are most dangerous as, is when they can get off torpedoes and land hits, cause floods, and force DCP use.  Then comes the dreaded IJN Cruiser HE and fires to follow.

Both are really cool VIII CAs.  Prinz Eugen's recent buffs made her very nice.  Atago is one of the oldest Premium Ships in the game, I remember Beta players having access to her.  It is a testament to how good she is that she is still a well regarded CA and one of the highlight IJN Premium Ships.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[WOLFB]
Members
1,722 posts
8,237 battles

Personally I like both ship (my inner weebs prefer Eugen because she's cuter than Atago) but I find Atago to be easier to play than Prinz Eugen.

Prinz Eugen has poor HE damage, a kinda slow reload and garbage AP pen angle. She's slow, turns a bit like a brick for a cruiser and her concealment isn't that good too. But she has 27mm armor which is enough to bounce 381mm guns (Richelieu, Bismarck / Tirpitz and every T6 BB), great AP damage and good AA. Also she's really good at close range thanks to her torpedo power allowing you to kill any ship fool enough to charge you. She also has German hydro 

Atago share that slow reload on guns but her HE damage and fire chance are both high. When angled she can take tank some shots. The ship is fast and manoeuvrable but it also has great concealment. Atago is share the same weaknesses as other IJN CA : poor range, turret traverse is kinda slow, AA is garbage. Her torps are good but compared to other IJN CA she have really good firing arc.

For competitive, Atago is probably better than Eugen.

If you want to quickly farm damage, again Atago will win over Eugen

For fun factor, I like both but I prefer Eugen 

[NDA]
Supertester
3,279 posts
5,849 battles

I'd buy an atago and grind for the Hipper, since it's really just her older sister without a premium skin. 

Edited by Sinboto

Members
138 posts

both ships are great. 

and since Eugen was buffed with the heal as well, she is a force of nature in ranked battles.

but - both ships are tier eight and end up as fillers for high tier matches most of the time. That makes both ships unrewarding to play - very often.

if you don't have lots of high tier experience, i would not recommend buying tier eight cruisers.

Edited by KaLeuWillenbrock

[SCCC]
Members
705 posts
5,503 battles

I would say now that PE has a heal, she takes the lead in this fight.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,279 posts
5,849 battles

I forgot about the heal on prinz, honestly it depends on your playstyle, I'd say atago is the easier ship to get into but prinz does more in a CQC fight. 

Also there's the real reason to play T8 premiums: cash baby! So much silver for the bank. 

[ARP]
Members
63 posts
1,677 battles
2 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

I've up to tier 7 with cruisers and now that the Atago is 30% off is it a better ship then the PE? It's tier 8 so it will see tier 10 a lot of the time. Which ship up tiers better? Which one is more fun to play? Should I wait to see if the PE goes on sale? Currently I'm having a lot of fun playing the perth and the Fiji.

If you are having fun playing the stealth game on cruisers, you will definitely love the Atago.

Personally I think the Prinz Eugen doesn't even come close to the Atago potential, you are going to need a 15+ points captain on it to perform at it's full potential but if you play it like your Perth/Fiji you will have a lot of fun. (Don't be that player than rushes into the cap, gets perma spotted and gets deleted)

Also it's the better choice in ranked battles. 

The question is, are you planning on going through the JPN line or the German line? As a premium you can train your captains on it so I would keep that in mind as well.

The only issue is that it's a T8 and it will end up being the lowest tier in T10 matches but if you use it smart (concealment, hit&run) it can still perform well.

A small showcase on what it can do in ranked battles 

Edited by Spacey_

[USCG]
Members
201 posts
12,930 battles

Have both, love both. Very different play styles. If you had asked me before the PE got a heal the Atago would win hands down. Now with a heal the PE can stay in the fight much longer. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with either. Best answer would be to get both!!

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
248 posts
2,155 battles

Well, the fact that Atago only gets a 30% discount for being Ship of the Day, as opposed to the 50% that the other premiums got, speaks volumes about what WG thinks.  I hardly ever see a PE in my games, PVP or co-op, but Atagos seemingly appear almost every other game.  

[CHMC]
[CHMC]
Members
234 posts
7,416 battles

I cant speak from experience on the PE but the Atago is a fantastic ship that can do well without a reliable team to back you up. You can stealth torp oncoming opponents and use your concealment to great effect. High HE alpha, great AP, great fire chance. A very good ship.

The PE from what I gather is a Hipper with a slower reload and a heal with other minor differences. I really liked the Hipper its a bibolar ship that is either HE spamming at range or Brawling BBs in dark alleys and nuking cruisers that show broadside.

If I had to pick one I would go with the Atago, it will be a more reliable premium in the fact that its a credit printer. Not to mention all the good builds for nearly any IJN ship include concealment so its a good trainer too.

If the PE goes on sale I'm going to pick it up but only because I already have the Atago and liked the Hipper so much.

[LOU1]
Members
3,018 posts
8,124 battles
13 minutes ago, Ann_Darrow said:

Well, the fact that Atago only gets a 30% discount for being Ship of the Day, as opposed to the 50% that the other premiums got, speaks volumes about what WG thinks.  I hardly ever see a PE in my games, PVP or co-op, but Atagos seemingly appear almost every other game.  

There are a couple of reasons there are less Prinz Eugens out on the seas.  The Atago has been in the game since its beginning and the PE was released in Sept 2016.  Originally being a clone to Admiral Hipper, I think many players did not see the point in buying her.  She is quite different now with the heal.  While I have to take some care in PvP, it is fun in PvE to sail into a bunch of enemy ships and take out 2 or 3 while crippling several others.

Disclaimer:  I find the Atago (and IJN CA/CLs and BBs) uncomfortable to play.  I most enjoy RN/Commonwealth CA/CLs, followed by French CA/CLs and BBs.  PE and Scharnhorst are also on my short list.

Edited by ExploratorOne

Members
138 posts

PE can man-fight ever BB with a calibre of 381mm or less. That 27mm armor is nothing to sneeze at and the heal allows her to be played aggressively when needed. I nuked so many bismarcks in ranked, that i was called a cheater on more than one occasion. 

fires? with your tank-build commander, fires don't bother you anymore. You can even specc her for AA if you feel the need. the german hydro is great as well. Her low dpm is compensated by her durability. 

just don't show broadside and get nuked.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
507 posts
4,320 battles

Having played Hipper and Mogami, I would choose Atago over PE. Atago can disengage and reposition easier due to its concealment. Its also a tiny bit faster.

But then you are a cruiser at T8, facing Hindenburg and Zao is a bit awkward because they outmatch you quite easily.

T8 is not terrible, but not fun enough for a premium IMO. I would rather credit grind at T7 or T6. I kept Mogami for when I don't mind being bottom tier.

Members
49 posts
2,598 battles

PE is definitely a great late game ship, and quite tanky for a cruiser especially since it got Repair Party, only annoying thing about it is that if you charge angled in to a target the torp launchers seem to get disabled/destroyed right when your going to need them. Her guns are seriously nice and it can print credits quickly, and aesthetically speaking its (in my opinion) the best looking tier 8 cruiser in the game. 

[TBOW]
Members
1,251 posts
10,669 battles

Playing Eugen you are playing a Pure Cruiser, with all the German Cruiser characteristics, and German Style armor.  Meaning with the heal now you can take more punishment and hand it out.  She isn't stealthy like Atago and her torps are Defensive for someone willing to get too close.  This is also a good kiting cruiser.

Playing Atago you are playing what I think of as a Heavy Destroyer. With full concealment build you can get in under your torpedo's max range, meaning you can to a point stealth torp and dump torpedoes into DDs smoke and make them sorry they decided to sit still.  And with the Atago's rail guns, take shots at DDs is alot easier and every other Salvo will likely produce a fire.  I have burned down a GK and Yammy with the Atago.  You don't sail broadside (goes for any cruiser) and she kites really nice too.

Edited by gcangel82

[GNAVY]
Members
29 posts
3,825 battles

Prinz eugen : Ap version of atago, very bad HE because of the RoF but you  can still use it. More tanky and more forgivable at short ranges encounters.

Atago: HE version of prinz eugen, ap only usable against fully broadside targets (unless its a CL but still), and very strong HE. More squishy but more manouvreable and more hard to hit when you shoot at it from 15+km, but always you will encounter some random shell that hits your citadel entering from your stern.

I didnt play the eugen but i played the hipper, i like both atago and hipper, they are cruiser that can turn the battle in the late game if you know how to survive to that point. Atago for the speed and hipper/eugen for the torpedo tubes position, also at the end of the game is more hard to stay out of crossfire so hipper is good at punishing broadsides.

Members
1,296 posts
21,024 battles
6 hours ago, Sinboto said:

I'd buy an atago and grind for the Hipper, since it's really just her older sister without a premium skin. 

I really like the Hipper.  But I think Eugen has the heal that Hipper doesn't.

[FARQD]
Members
369 posts
6,143 battles

This is my personal opinion and can be mostly ignored. Why buy tier 8 premiums when you are most likely to see tier 10 ships? Just grind  the Hindy and Zao which are better ships and buy the perma camo which makes good credits (with 100% cmdr xp bonus). 

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,022 posts
14 minutes ago, sansfaille said:

This is my personal opinion and can be mostly ignored. Why buy tier 8 premiums when you are most likely to see tier 10 ships? Just grind  the Hindy and Zao which are better ships and buy the perma camo which makes good credits (with 100% cmdr xp bonus). 

Complain about Tier 8 situation, suggest action that makes Tier 8 situation worse. Brilliant.

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles

Both are fun ships - but if I was forced to pick just one, with no other factors taken into consideration (ie. which would be a more efficient trainer) - I would choose Atago.

I have Hindenberg, and am currently grinding Ibuki - and while I didn't keep any of the KM cruisers other than the Hindy, I have kept Furutaka,  Myoko and the 152mm Mogami - so when taking into consideration the ships efficiency at training other skippers for a line - the nod still goes to Atago.

However - all that said - they are very different ships, with very different play styles, and both are very enjoyable - so my ultimate advice would be to get both.

Atago at 30% off is a pretty good deal - pick her up today, and perhaps PE will pop up at a similar discount before the sale is over.

[FARQD]
Members
369 posts
6,143 battles
6 minutes ago, TornadoADV said:

Complain about Tier 8 situation, suggest action that makes Tier 8 situation worse. Brilliant.

I never for once complained about tier 8 ships or the MM but told the reality of the tier 8. If someone has to grind those ships to the higher tiers they would have to go through that 'pain'. If not why should one pay to feel its wrath? Swimming against the tide makes no sense when WG itself wants to drive people towards tier 10s. 

Edit- By the way I have 6 premium tier 8 ships and wouldn't have bought them if I had known that I would mostly see tier 10s. I have enjoyed playing them in tier 8 ranked battles and they were fun ships but not in randoms (at least for me). I would rather fight tier 10s with my tier 10s and have fun instead of trying to make my tier 8 ships 'work' :D

Edited by sansfaille

Beta Testers
2,983 posts
4,374 battles

save for santa boxes and get SUPERIOR kutuzov.

Sign in to follow this