You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Stormie1126

So this is a REALLY random question....

12 comments in this topic

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles

But I noticed just now when I was doling out 'Plays Well's' to a couple guys that you have the same daily limits on compliments as you do reports. .....what kind of psychology is this?

I mean sure, reports make sense having a limit to limit abuse, but if you're trying to be positive, even if Karma really means [edited]-all in the end...why put a limit on positivity? XD

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts

To prevent divisions or sync droppers from giving each other 10,000? I mean, ostensibly, the Karma does nothing so it doesn't matter. But maybe it does or why else does it exist ...

[BIAS]
Members
3,151 posts
9,233 battles

Karma means nothing, but sync dropping with friends and such, you could artificially raise someones karma. I guess they did not want people to be able to farm a worthless game system??

[DRG_N]
Members
422 posts
582 battles

Because Wargaming is run on salt and hate, not sugar and happiness.

• Funny 3

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
1 minute ago, w4spl3g said:

To prevent divisions or sync droppers from giving each other 10,000? I mean, ostensibly, the Karma does nothing so it doesn't matter. But maybe it does or why else does it exist ...

It really doesn't. But you're right, that begs the question of 'why have it in the first place?' lol

[-TAB-]
Members
1,604 posts
5,168 battles
3 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Karma means nothing, but sync dropping with friends and such, you could artificially raise someones karma. I guess they did not want people to be able to farm a worthless game system??

well put.

I got negative karma in a battle yesterday, was accused of being a kill stealer, over 30k damage to a CA finished off. I laughed so hard I almost hurt myself, I mean, I so rarely …. it had been 7 or 8 battles since I sank anything, or even shot down a plane!!

I certainly would not want to farm that.

• Cool 3

[WOLF2]
Members
1,334 posts
13,063 battles
1 hour ago, Highlord said:

Because Wargaming is run on salt and hate, not sugar and happiness.

True, but also you and a couple of mates can get someone chat banned :)

Pass the Salt!

Edited by Commander_367

[LANCE]
Members
307 posts
3,250 battles

Although karma doesn’t gain your anything in game I’ll admit that I get a feeling of enormous well-being when I get a karma +1. I’m not a great player so perhaps that’s why I appreciate them when I do get them!

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
2 hours ago, Bravo4zero said:

Although karma doesn’t gain your anything in game I’ll admit that I get a feeling of enormous well-being when I get a karma +1. I’m not a great player so perhaps that’s why I appreciate them when I do get them!

Oh yeah, I'm always a little uplifted to see it go up, and a little disappointed to see it in game. While I don't think you should be able to see who took you down so that you can't revenge report, I wish you could at least know who gave a compliment so you could look out for em in game again. Sometimes it's gone up when there's really been nothing in chat at all.

[-CIV-]
Members
232 posts
2,364 battles
3 hours ago, Stormie1126 said:

Oh yeah, I'm always a little uplifted to see it go up, and a little disappointed to see it in game. While I don't think you should be able to see who took you down so that you can't revenge report, I wish you could at least know who gave a compliment so you could look out for em in game again. Sometimes it's gone up when there's really been nothing in chat at all.

I think it's okay to know who took you down. At the very least, the notification that pops up above the minimap give would give them away, and players use that notification to make decisions in-game. And if I go down because of a smart play from another player, I like having the ability to chat with them later.

I agree with being able to see who gave you a compliment. Maybe WG is concerned about reciprocity? But even then I think it's nicer to attach a name to a token of kindness.

[-LOD-]
Members
23 posts
3,090 battles

I like Karma system and can why given the messages above about sync droppers, but I always hand out compliments to people that have been a worthy foe or have played very well as I think it is rewarding when I get them for playing well. It does need to be limited to stop people abusing them like they do with the reporting options, just means that people have to think really hard ... do I give this guy or gal a compliment or do I save for another brave action in a later battle :). 

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,841 posts
13,056 battles

Anything that is limited has relative value.  Sometimes the relative value actually maps to something that carries monetary worth.  For example, gold has monetary value because it is rare.  It's the rarity, or lack thereof, that creates (or dilutes) relative value.  

The relative value of almost anything is directly related to its availability.  An unlimited supply spread across a finite user base converges on zero relative value regardless of the difference between two users.  1000000 is the same a 1...relatively speaking.   

It is this relative value that is preserved with the limited supply.  Karma is worthless in the monetary sense.  In fact, it's worthless in the game sense.  But it still has relative value in a numerical sense.  A user with 100000 karma compared to a user with 1 karma has relative significance because of the limited supply.