Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DonKarnage2

New French Destroyer Announced

25 comments in this topic

[LRM]
Supertester
550 posts
5,146 battles

It's on the Dev Blog on Facebook as of 12 hours ago (direct copy and paste):

ST, French destroyer Le Terrible, tier VIII

Hit points – 18600. Plating - 19 mm.

Main battery - 5x1 139 mm. Firing range - 11.2 km. Maximum HE shell damage – 2000. Chance to cause fire – 10%. Maximum AP shell damage - 2700. Reload time - 7.0 s. 180 degree turn time - 25.7 s. Maximum dispersion - 99 м.
HE initial velocity - 840 m/s. AP initial velocity - 800 m/s. Sigma – 2.0.

Torpedo tubes - 3x3 550 mm. Maximum damage - 14833. Range - 9.0 km. Speed - 60 kt. Reload time - 90 s. Launcher 180 degree turn time – 7.2 s. Torpedo detectability - 1.3 km.

AA defense:
2x2 37.0 mm, range - 3.0 km, damage per second - 5.
1x1 37.0 mm, range - 3.0 km, damage per second - 2.
2x2 13.2 mm, range - 1.2 km, damage per second - 7.
2x1 13.2 mm, range - 1.2 km, damage per second - 5.

Maximum speed - 43 kt. Turning circle radius - 690 m. Rudder shift time – 4.3 s. Surface detectability – 9.1 km. Air detectability – 4.6 km. Detectability after firing main guns in smoke – 3.7 km.
Available consumables:

Slot 1 - Damage Control Party

Slot 2 - Smoke Generator

Slot 3 - Engine Boost

Slot 4 - Main Gun Reload Booster

Reload Time of the Main Caliber -75%;
Duration 10 s;
Cooldown 90 s and 60 s for Main Gun Reload Booster II;
Charges 3 and 4 for Main Gun Reload Booster II;
All stats are listed without crew and upgrade modifiers but with best available modules. The stats are subject to change during the testing.

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary.

Image may contain: ocean, outdoor and water
Edited by DonKarnage2
  • Cool 1

[HATE]
[HATE]
Members
91 posts
9,925 battles

2 things about this ship.

1. That reload booster!

2.That speed!!! It’s going to be like 54kts with a speed boost and flag...

Holy [edited] is it going to be broken.

[LRM]
Supertester
550 posts
5,146 battles
32 minutes ago, Thunder_GP said:

1. That reload booster!

Still in Dev, but yes it will be a terror with that kind of speed. ALL THE PEW PEW!

The counter balance is Detectability... it's seen almost 10 km out and without boosters or flags or skills it can't stealth torp.

Edited by DonKarnage2

[VW]
Members
1,932 posts
12,495 battles
24 minutes ago, wstugamd said:

The name sounds very French military

Nice understanding of French and linguistics. The name is more appropriately understood as a mix between « terrifying » and « terrific. » and the ship looks awesome!

[VW]
Members
1,932 posts
12,495 battles
2 minutes ago, DonKarnage2 said:

Still in Dev, but yes it will be a terror with that kind of speed. ALL THE PEW PEW!

The counter balance is Detectability... it's seen almost 10 km out and without boosters or flags or skills it can't stealth torp.

She’ll play like Aigle except with useable torps, looks like the khab theme in terms of play.

[LRM]
Supertester
550 posts
5,146 battles

It also won't be able to throw all torpedoes on one side at once. It clearly seems to have side mounted launchers... or one center mount and 2 side mounts.

Members
4,819 posts
5,596 battles

I wanted to make a play on words joke about the name(I know it doesn't actually mean terrible, but that's what it looks like), but going over the stats this ship looks pretty fun. Well, aside from that 7.1km minimum surface detection with all skills/modules/camo. But then again, it's got sanic speeds so it can 'tactically retreat' if it does get into a bad spot.

[AAA]
Members
427 posts
5,409 battles
32 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

Nice understanding of French and linguistics. The name is more appropriately understood as a mix between « terrifying » and « terrific. » and the ship looks awesome!

1. I never miss an opertunity to put a jab in at the French even if their reputation is totally undeserved.

2. It felt like a bp fastball and I tired not to swing too hard but apparently I wasn’t funny. Will try harder in the future. 

Looks like a fun bote even if it’s terribe 

Members
1,539 posts
8,168 battles

Hey

Anyone think another French Nerf might be coming for this DD?   It looks very cool and would be a nice addition to the French in it's present form.  Count me in.

Pete

[VW]
Members
1,932 posts
12,495 battles
1 hour ago, wstugamd said:

1. I never miss an opertunity to put a jab in at the French even if their reputation is totally undeserved.

2. It felt like a bp fastball and I tired not to swing too hard but apparently I wasn’t funny. Will try harder in the future. 

Looks like a fun bote even if it’s terribe 

I know i know, just jabbing back lol!

[TOAST]
Members
812 posts
7,244 battles
1 hour ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

Anyone think another French Nerf might be coming for this DD?   It looks very cool and would be a nice addition to the French in it's present form.  Count me in.

Pete

That surface detectability will keep it for getting nerfed. Holy bawls 9.1km. 

[RUST]
Beta Testers
514 posts
4,670 battles

That rate of fire (8.5rpm?) and that short range worry me considering this thing's gonna be nearly as big as the Tashkent.  Almost seems like CE is going to be a waste in favor of AFT+BFT.  Just hope the increased velocity means it has better ballistics at range than Aigle's guns do.

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
356 posts
6,759 battles

It will definitely be out-spotted by most other DD's. But those guns + reload boost will be a hell of a thing to deal with. I expect the ballistics to be manageable. Maybe not as great as the Russian line, but certainly capable of getting those shells on target and they are not small. 139mm is going to hit pretty hard for a DD. And with the reload booster, it will be able to spit out rounds pretty fast for a time. Only thing is, you'd better have those guns pointed in the right direction before you engage.

They're basically going to be small, citadel-less cruisers with usable torps. I'm willing to bet that it is going to be similar to the Russian Gunboat line but with the ability to fire torps without being seen. Assuming you run a Concealment build.

The torps, after concealment upgrades, will give them roughly a 1-2km chance to torp other ships without being seen... But at default, you will have to worry about Cleveland's and other cruisers having the same concealment range. That being, a Cleveland can get down to 9.1km's (or so). You'll basically run into each other and I'm pretty sure who'll win that fight at that range.

From the picture, it has two forward torpedo launchers on the sides and then one in the center just before the 3rd main gun. So it will be able to fire 2 launchers to one side and have the 3rd still loaded on the other side.

Though the Concealment looks pretty bad, the good news is that speed... 43 to start with. Plus Speed Boost... plus the flag... The only other ships of similar speed are the two Russian DD's (only 2 of them have a similar speed of 43knts to start with... I think tier 7 and I think one of the tier 9's or 10's). That thing will be flying. At 9km's, I'm pretty sure a Cleveland's shells could get a hit on it with little issue (after a time of zeroing in), but anything past that and that Cleveland is going to have a heck of a time getting those shells on target. One thing that I noticed was its turning radius... Pretty sure the Cleveland and a couple of other Cruisers beat it.

AA... eh... what AA?

Again, to me, it looks like it is going to be going the route of the Russian DD's in that they are going to be gunboats and engage at the furthest possible range. In exchange for issues with being spotted by other DD's easily, it's going to be faster than most others (again, only two other ships in the game will equal it) and it will probably have a decided advantage in such gunfights with reload booster. Unlike the Russian gunboats, the torps are usable and you don't have to get within 4km's to do so.

In a 1 on 1 with a US cruiser without concealment, I'd be willing to give the victory to this DD via the guns alone at max range and dodging the US rainbow shells. Against a Cleveland with concealment and it's more of a toss-up as the DD would have to close in to spot it and thus put itself in the range of the Radar at 9km's and default spotting range regardless if it, itself, isn't running a concealment build.

Against a Russian Chappy, unless that cruiser destroyed it during the time it used its radar, I'd again give it up to this DD using torps rather than guns.

It seems that this ship will be quite capable in any scenario presented to it as it has the ability to deal with most cruisers with limited threat of being detected. It may have issues against concealment builds on US and British cruisers, but can otherwise engage cruisers and BB's without worry and as long as they can survive the Radars active Duration.

The two greatest threats for this ship (likely) will be other DD's and CV's. Other DD's will out-spot it; giving them the advantage and the thing practically has zero AA from the looks of it. It's only recourse against DD's would be to yolo in there, using its speed to close the gap on the concealment difference, and then lay waste the enemy DD's with its overwhelming firepower. OR Run.

Against Aircraft... I don't see it doing much of anything against them so it will be at the mercy of planes. Recourse? Use that +43knots to find that enemy CV and burn it down.

• Cool 1

Members
1,539 posts
8,168 battles
10 hours ago, Vekta408 said:

That surface detectability will keep it for getting nerfed. Holy bawls 9.1km. 

Hey

For sure that's bad.  Probably like an Aigle 2.0; fun but questionable usage.  Still rather interesting having a higher tier French DD.

Pete 

[FLS]
Alpha Tester
568 posts
2,540 battles

Let's put that 9.1km detection in context. Kiev's base concealment is what, 9.0? And nobody cares about Kiev's detectability because the point of it is to zoom around at ludicrous speeds and dakkadakkadakka for the entire game. Le Terrible is clearly supposed to fit into the same vein, so its concealment is pretty much irrelevant. If it gets the French 20% speed boost, we're looking at 54.2 knots flagged, boys. 54.2 knots. Not only is it going to be the first ship to break the 50 knot barrier, it's also going to be by a comfortable margin the fastest ship in the entire game, at least until the tech tree line rolls around. With that kinda NYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM, who cares about concealment? CSM1 will get it down to about 7.9 or 8km (with ~0.2 from camo added as well), which is still bad, but it's comparable to Kiev. And this thing can stealth torp with an ~1km buffer. So, basically, it's a Kiev with worse guns, better torps, and WAY more speed. The DPM is the biggest downside, but that really only matters if you have to fight enemy DD. In which case you just pop the reload booster and shred them with sub-2-second reload on those 139s. This thing is going to be scary as hell.

Le Fantasque class is one of my favorite ships ever and I've been waiting for this for a long time. I haven't been this hype for a ship since Scharnhorst. Gimmegimmegimme!

--Helms

Members
325 posts
328 battles

The Leningrad Class was designed based on this class of French DDs, so I understand in game they should perform similar also...

[RNDM]
Members
124 posts
2,812 battles
On 7/21/2018 at 8:38 PM, Thunder_GP said:

1. That reload booster!

Well the Le Fantasque class is the fastest class of destroyer ever built so the speed, while insane, is still (sort of) accurate.

The ship was actually reclassified by the allies as a Light Cruiser after she had a refit in Boston so I wouldn't leave it past WG to make a French CL version of the post refit ship Le Malin of the same class. Of course I do not particularly want that to happen as that ship was refit with radar and I think most of us can agree that we don't need more of that, but if it is added I would only be fitting for it to have it.

[CVA16]
Members
2,266 posts
9,849 battles
On 7/27/2018 at 5:26 PM, Florendo19 said:

The ship was actually reclassified by the allies as a Light Cruiser after she had a refit in Boston so I wouldn't leave it past WG to make a French CL version of the post refit ship Le Malin of the same class.

So suddenly the ship gets a citadel? I assume it gets better AA but reduced guns/torpedoes. Don't think a CL version would be too popular.

[RNDM]
Members
124 posts
2,812 battles
18 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

So suddenly the ship gets a citadel? I assume it gets better AA but reduced guns/torpedoes. Don't think a CL version would be too popular.

Yes but no. I am saying that a different ship(that is the later upgraded version of this ship) could also be added with the upgrades done in the Boston refit. So there would be two ships, a pre refit DD and a post refit CL. The CL would either be in the same tier as the DD or would move up a tier with the upgrades and be like the Russian DDs in that they are still classified as DDs while being closer to operating in game as CLs. I'm just throwing out ideas and since the game already has repeat classes with different fittings, this would not be too much of a stretch for them to make. Although yes I agree that it would probably not be too popular

Members
2,492 posts
5,479 battles

BUT does REVERSE SPEED GO  faster than forward SPEED?

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
2,266 posts
9,849 battles
2 hours ago, Florendo19 said:

Yes but no. I am saying that a different ship(that is the later upgraded version of this ship) could also be added with the upgrades done in the Boston refit. So there would be two ships, a pre refit DD and a post refit CL

Two different ships was what I assumed. It would still be weird to have effectively the same ship in game, one with a citadel and one without. Even if they are different tiers (see Richelieu and Jean Bart)

Do you know the stats after the refit? The wiki entry doesn't mention them losing anything in the refit but that seems unlikely. Had to put the extra AA somewhere!

[PWH]
Members
84 posts
4,863 battles

I wonder if the Mogador, will be the top tier dd for the french lines. If the Le Terrible is anything to off of, I would think that the Le Fantasque-class destroyer would be at tier 8 with the Terrible, which might place the Mogador at tier 9. Then what would be the tier 10 ship, maybe the Surcouf class destroyer, though it was built after the war, there are plenty of other ships that are in the game that also were built after the war.  Its 127 mm are similar to many of the tier 10 gunboat destroyers, but that would mean that it would lose its special 139 mm that is on most of the other french destroyers. Would play about the same as other destroyers, except that it has 6 torpedoes per side.

Members
65 posts
9,006 battles

this is the worst DD in the game as it is released. It needs a smoke or heal. it is not fit to play with tier 9/10. DO NOT BUY! wows needs an [edited]whopping to the guy that ok'd this ship for release.

Members
1,539 posts
8,168 battles

Hey

Now that we have it in game but I have only seen a few of them.  Too bad they don't have even a limited smoke (1-2 charges say, 2-3 with SI/Premium), it would make it more useful and easier to play for most people.  I have not seen any that have been a major factor in a game so far (granted most are still trying to figure it out).  I wouldn't mind having it but I have other T8 DD's that are much more useful overall.

So when I posted earlier about it getting a Nerf, I didn't think it was going to be a case of removing it's smoke permanently, which I think is a bad idea, unless the guns were substantially better, or maybe give it longer range torps but to not be able to heal or smoke to disengage is bad.  Even if it was a short duration smoke that allowed you to become undetected, disengage and reposition might make this fun.

Pete 

Edited by sasquatch_research

Sign in to follow this