Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

Is it worth it (special upgrade)?

15 comments in this topic

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,804 posts
10,590 battles

So just got a SC with the engine boost special upgrade. Probably the 6th or 7th one of that upgrade I have got since I started WOWS.  All the others have been sold off as I never had a use for them. Just started DD's though and am at Fletcher. Is it worth losing Propulsion Mod 1 to get 50% longer time of the consumable? It seems like DD's lose their engine so easy even with PM1 that taking it away seems like a bad idea. I do have LS on the Capt if that matters.

My inclination is to sell it for the 625K credits but figured I would see what others think.

:Smile_honoring:

VT1MJnS.jpg

Edited by AdmiralThunder

Beta Testers
87 posts
4,061 battles

I prefer to run DFAA on the fletcher, but I do run that upgrade on sims and the engine does tend to go out more quickly. I'd say the upgrade is worth it as long as you take last stand and premium DC.

[-BMV-]
Members
346 posts
6,579 battles

I don't think its all that valuable on a normal DD (though others may disagree), but it is great value on French cruisers and Russian DDs where the speed boost is a big part of their survivability.  However, that is PvP and I know you prefer PvE so your mileage may vary.  I wouldn't sell it though its probably the most widely useful of the special upgrades.  Also there is no reason to be worried about giving up propulsion mod 1 if you have last stand.

• Cool 2

Members
40 posts
4,323 battles

For something like a Fletcher, that doesn't rely on outright speed, you can really go either way. For something like the high tier Russian DDs, the engine boost extender does have some serious appeal, though. It's really all about how you play. I will say that it might become less useful if the CV rework gets done though, since you might prefer having defensive AA to engine boost at that point.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,804 posts
10,590 battles

Thanks all. Appreciate it.

Yes, I only play PVE so I know it is a bit different for me than those who play PVP. I actually just played a game on Ocean in Fletcher where every damn bot chased me all game. It is very common for that in Co-op as the bots constantly charge ahead and they go after DD's like fleas after a dog. Being able to go fast and get undetected is very important in Co-op too. 

It would have helped a lot being able to have speed boost active longer in my game on Ocean for sure. Then again bots are super accurate and I lost my engine a lot even with PM1. Would going faster have got me undetected quicker yes but without PM1 would I have lost my engine more and thus not gone as fast? Arrghhh LOL.  Maybe the thing to do is mount it and see how it goes.

24 minutes ago, neworleanssaintsfan said:

Also, if you plan to do French cruisers or BBs keep the upgrade

I actually have Republique and Henri IV so I am done with both lines. Don't really use speed boost a lot on them. Now and then but not sure I would want to give up DCSM1 on either with how often the bots set fires.

[ASHIP]
Members
597 posts
5,296 battles

As others have said, it's probably most useful on French BBs or CAs. Especially for the BBs really benefit from being able to go 35knots for prolonged periods. It also helps with reverse speed and acceleration, which can be wonderful for the Richelieu if she ever needs to quickly reverse out of a situation (yes, yes, insert French cowardice jokes here). I even remember being called out once or twice for dodging shells while reversing in a BB (admittedly at pretty long ranges).

As for using it on DDs, you can, but somehow I never got the same feeling of it really helping me. Speed boost tends to be most useful when reversing, accelerating at low speeds, or going fast in a straight line, none of which are activities DDs tend to do for long continuous stretches.

[LOU1]
Members
3,023 posts
8,125 battles

I personally run Engine Boost on everything that will take it; being able to buy more is one of the main reasons I am happy with the Arsenal and coal.  My rationale is that speed is part of the armor for ships with Speed Boost and extending it increases my survivability and flexibility.  Another thing to consider is that Speed Boost increases acceleration, so the special mod extends your ability to change speed quickly.  I main Randoms, but play PvE quite a bit.

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
468 posts
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

So just got a SC with the engine boost special upgrade. Probably the 6th or 7th one of that upgrade I have got since I started WOWS.  All the others have been sold off as I never had a use for them. Just started DD's though and am at Fletcher. Is it worth losing Propulsion Mod 1 to get 50% longer time of the consumable? It seems like DD's lose their engine so easy even with PM1 that taking it away seems like a bad idea. I do have LS on the Capt if that matters.

My inclination is to sell it for the 625K credits but figured I would see what others think.

VT1MJnS.jpg

im kinda newb at playing dd but i wouldnt give up speed boost for nothing

speed boost is a much needed tool when you get radared and focus fired by the ole enemy team

so i vote NO

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,804 posts
10,590 battles
44 minutes ago, iamplaya said:

im kinda newb at playing dd but i wouldnt give up speed boost for nothing

speed boost is a much needed tool when you get radared and focus fired by the ole enemy team

so i vote NO

I am not talking about giving up speed boost. What I got was a special upgrade (you get them in Super Containers or the Arsenal now) that would go in upgrade slot 2 for the ship. It isn't the actual speed boost consumable. What I am talking about would enhance it but at the expense of Propulsion Mod 1 in slot 2. 

You can read more about the special upgrades here....

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Upgrades#Special_Upgrades

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
468 posts
2 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I am not talking about giving up speed boost. What I got was a special upgrade (you get them in Super Containers or the Arsenal now) that would go in upgrade slot 2 for the ship. It isn't the actual speed boost consumable. What I am talking about would enhance it but at the expense of Propulsion Mod 1 in slot 2. 

You can read more about the special upgrades here....

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Upgrades#Special_Upgrades

yea i seen that after my bad

on that note i think the standard boost is good enuff to me anyhow

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,804 posts
10,590 battles
9 hours ago, iamplaya said:

yea i seen that after my bad

on that note i think the standard boost is good enuff to me anyhow

[CAST]
Members
1,424 posts
5,956 battles

I made a (half) joke in a thread some time ago that equipping Propulsion Mod 1 lowers the chance of a DD losing its engine to 180%, so in that light I really don't mind giving it up.  I'm also coming from the point of view of a PvP player and I know that fighting the bots is far different, but I run the special engine mod on my Kiev & Khaba and really benefit from it; if I had more lying around I'd put it on all my DDs in an instant.  It comes in very handy whenever I'm in a gunfight, or if I need to re-position quickly, or get around a flank for a better torpedo angle, or get after a CV at the end of a battle, or or or...it's just a really good option for destroyers.  Given that you're already getting a 30% reduction to the chance of losing your engine (or any other module) via a 1-point captain skill, I think it's well worth the slot even against bots.

If nothing else, try mounting it for a few games & experimenting with what you could do with it vs. without.  If you don't feel that it helps you as much as Prop Mod 1, you can always unmount it & sell it then.

Edited by Harv72b

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,804 posts
10,590 battles
3 hours ago, Harv72b said:

I made a (half) joke in a thread some time ago that equipping Propulsion Mod 1 lowers the chance of a DD losing its engine to 180%, so in that light I really don't mind giving it up.  I'm also coming from the point of view of a PvP player and I know that fighting the bots is far different, but I run the special engine mod on my Kiev & Khaba and really benefit from it; if I had more lying around I'd put it on all my DDs in an instant.  It comes in very handy whenever I'm in a gunfight, or if I need to re-position quickly, or get around a flank for a better torpedo angle, or get after a CV at the end of a battle, or or or...it's just a really good option for destroyers.  Given that you're already getting a 30% reduction to the chance of losing your engine (or any other module) via a 1-point captain skill, I think it's well worth the slot even against bots.

If nothing else, try mounting it for a few games & experimenting with what you could do with it vs. without.  If you don't feel that it helps you as much as Prop Mod 1, you can always unmount it & sell it then.

That is what I was thinking

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles
On 7/21/2018 at 3:41 PM, AdmiralThunder said:

VT1MJnS.jpg

As I said in the other thread - I run one on the as many Russian DDs as I can fit them on - Lenin, Udaloi and Khab.

Speed is life for a Russian DD - and the module extends that speed by enough to make it more than worthwhile.  Running around for something like three minutes in Leningrad at just shy of 48 knots is kinda hilarious.

Same with the Henri - I would consider it a "must have" for the ship - I'm currently at Richie in the French BB line - wish I had another special speed module to put on her, that boosted speed and quicker acceleration and deceleration is awesome on that ship.

As to whether its worth the swap - I feel it is  absolutely.  On my Russian DDs, I haven't found the engine or steering gear gets knocked out overly much (I consider LS a priority on all my DD skippers) - I think the extra speed evens things out, a bit - as I get hit a lot less often when blazing around at 45 knots!

Not sure how it would work out on Fletch - but can't see it being dissimilar.  Honestly - I wish I had the module for each of my DDs that could mount one (except for Kidd and Groz, of course - I like the special module for AA on those DDs!).

Sign in to follow this