You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ducky_shot

Should clans police their members?

75 comments in this topic

[BIAS]
Members
3,149 posts
9,233 battles

Obviously each clan has their own rules and enforce those rules however they feel they should. The clans I have been in have whatever rules we have and we deal with broken rules however we feel it is warranted. Clan image is definitely needed to be protected. But I am curious as to whether members believe that clans as a whole should deal with the misbehaviour of their members? Basic premise: Should clans be expected to enforce WG's rules on their members?

I've been in clan leadership for most of my playing time in WoWs (multiple clans). I've seen reports of clan members from the extremely mundane to fairly serious. If a player feels that a clan player is doing something wrong in game (language, bullying, hacking, teamkilling, playing poorly, etc etc etc) is it the typical gut reaction of players to go and report that person to that person's clan leadership instead of WG?? Is it expected that all clans are going to police their members in a suitable manner for the players reporting them? Why does a player expect that a clan should enforce rules that are laid out and enforced by WG?? Should they just be reported to WG and let WG deal with it? Or are people reporting them to their clan and to WG? If so, why? Should unsubstantiated reports be even considered? I have no doubt that some things might have been said by members sometimes, but with no replay showing the entirety of chat, should a clan leader believe them?

In my experience, I have only notified clan leadership when I see things being done by a member of a clan I am familiar with and friendly with members of it and want to help them maintain a good image. Otherwise, if I see toxic behaviour from a player, I just send it in to WG... I also appreciate when members I know and trust give me a heads up on things that might tarnish my clan's reputation. I'm just curious what other people think.

• Bad 2

[TBOW]
Members
1,251 posts
10,669 battles

If have seen both happen.  And I think sometimes depending on the clan you will get better results talking to clan leadership.  Be a lot depends on the clan.

Members
1,000 posts
7,997 battles

I lead clans/guilds in Quakeworld Teamfortress/Megateamfortress. Yes, we did "police" are own members. But that game was much different, during a different era of gaming. 

[BIAS]
Members
3,149 posts
9,233 battles
13 minutes ago, gcangel82 said:

If have seen both happen.  And I think sometimes depending on the clan you will get better results talking to clan leadership.  Be a lot depends on the clan.

I'm not disputing this or anything, genuinely curious. How is a clan able to get better results when WG ultimately can ban a player temporarily or permanently?

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,798 posts
7,034 battles

corporal punishment is the only way, a good dozen at dawn clan parade.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,983 posts
4,388 battles

it's how some clans remove "toxic members",i really can't see any other way.

if a clan member start doing something that create negative doubts,rumours,fame,whatever to the clan,the top leadership might act and remove the member. 

[BIAS]
Members
3,149 posts
9,233 battles
20 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

it's how some clans remove "toxic members",i really can't see any other way.

if a clan member start doing something that create negative doubts,rumours,fame,whatever to the clan,the top leadership might act and remove the member. 

I agree, but should members automatically be reporting that sort of behavior to the clan's leadership automatically instead of reporting it to WG?

Beta Testers
2,983 posts
4,388 battles
2 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

I agree, but should members automatically be reporting that sort of behavior to the clan's leadership automatically instead of reporting it to WG?

they must do both things .

Edited by Cruxdei

[BIAS]
Members
3,149 posts
9,233 battles
Just now, Cruxdei said:

they must do both things .

Why should a player be subjected to discipline twice? What do you expect a clan to do that WG won't?

[VFW]
Members
938 posts
21,190 battles

Yes, clan leadership should and must police their members.   So if another clan informs me of misbehavior of a clan mate, then appropriate action will occur.  Same goes if it's an internal conflict.   I don't need WG to be the only steward of this game.

VR,

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,558 posts

Yes. I'm required to from time to time. Although FLOAT does not have a dedicated set of rules, anyone who "****s the bed" is usually canned. The actions of one user reflect upon the group as a whole, if for example a Wargaming employee went around insulting players and banning whoever they wanted from the game, that would greatly effect how players view Wargaming. It's no different when apply this to other groups or communities.

This by no means should force clan leads to keep their members on a short leash, but to prevent complete anarchy some control must be maintained and a code of conduct applied

• Cool 1

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

Obviously each clan has their own rules and enforce those rules however they feel they should. The clans I have been in have whatever rules we have and we deal with broken rules however we feel it is warranted. Clan image is definitely needed to be protected. But I am curious as to whether members believe that clans as a whole should deal with the misbehaviour of their members? Basic premise: Should clans be expected to enforce WG's rules on their members?

I've been in clan leadership for most of my playing time in WoWs (multiple clans). I've seen reports of clan members from the extremely mundane to fairly serious. If a player feels that a clan player is doing something wrong in game (language, bullying, hacking, teamkilling, playing poorly, etc etc etc) is it the typical gut reaction of players to go and report that person to that person's clan leadership instead of WG?? Is it expected that all clans are going to police their members in a suitable manner for the players reporting them? Why does a player expect that a clan should enforce rules that are laid out and enforced by WG?? Should they just be reported to WG and let WG deal with it? Or are people reporting them to their clan and to WG? If so, why? Should unsubstantiated reports be even considered? I have no doubt that some things might have been said by members sometimes, but with no replay showing the entirety of chat, should a clan leader believe them?

In my experience, I have only notified clan leadership when I see things being done by a member of a clan I am familiar with and friendly with members of it and want to help them maintain a good image. Otherwise, if I see toxic behaviour from a player, I just send it in to WG... I also appreciate when members I know and trust give me a heads up on things that might tarnish my clan's reputation. I'm just curious what other people think.

I know I wouldn't give the slightest [edited] for my own members. Everyone is a soloist their actions are their own. I also don't get paid by WG to enforce their rules.

• Cool 4

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

I say if one player in a clan gets chat banned, the hole clan gets chat banned period.  That way if problems arise then it can be dealt with.

• Bad 4

Members
569 posts

I went to a Clan  Discord to complain to the leader about a member  who was TKing in two games I was in Back to back with.

I won't say what clan but it was a leading Clan in round one battles.

I was told to leave their Discord and Get a Life.

With that experience I don't bother to go to the "CLAN LEADERS" I go to WG Support

• Funny 2

[BIAS]
Members
3,149 posts
9,233 battles
7 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

I say if one player in a clan gets chat banned, the hole clan gets chat banned period.  That way if problems arise then it can be dealt with.

Well, not everyone can have what happens in your clan by default, happen in their clan...

Edited by Ducky_shot

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
6 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Well, not everyone can have what happens in your clan by default, happen in their clan...

Nah that's not what I'm saying.  I may be the only one in my clan that plays wows yes, but the punishment of one clan member it should affect the entire clan.  Then the clan leadership can either A choose to deal with the individual that caused the clan to get chat banned, or other wise not do anything.  But clans need to start taking responsibility for their members actions in game.  I'm sorry but would you want to be chat banned literally because someone else decided to be toxic and get the ban and there fore the rest of your group got the same punishment?  You would want to deal with that one individual that caused the group ban wouldn't you.  That's what I'm getting at.

• Bad 1

[BIAS]
Members
3,149 posts
9,233 battles
8 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

Nah that's not what I'm saying.  I may be the only one in my clan that plays wows yes, but the punishment of one clan member it should affect the entire clan.  Then the clan leadership can either A choose to deal with the individual that caused the clan to get chat banned, or other wise not do anything.  But clans need to start taking responsibility for their members actions in game.  I'm sorry but would you want to be chat banned literally because someone else decided to be toxic and get the ban and there fore the rest of your group got the same punishment?  You would want to deal with that one individual that caused the group ban wouldn't you.  That's what I'm getting at.

ROFL yeah...

You want WG to implement a punishment system shuffling the punishment down to the clans???? Why not just have WG deal with it all right from the start??? Why all the extra steps that are open to interpretation. How should your clan deal with you when you get chat banned?? Should you kick yourself out?? Maybe ban yourself from clan battles and penalize the other -6 members that play competitively??

Also, what if the clan only uses in game communication?? If they are chat banned because of one member, how do they discuss the issue and what to do if they are all chat banned?

nice troll attempt.

• Cool 2

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
3 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

ROFL yeah...

You want WG to implement a punishment system shuffling the punishment down to the clans???? Why not just have WG deal with it all right from the start??? Why all the extra steps that are open to interpretation. How should your clan deal with you when you get chat banned?? Should you kick yourself out?? Maybe ban yourself from clan battles and penalize the other -6 members that play competitively??

Also, what if the clan only uses in game communication?? If they are chat banned because of one member, how do they discuss the issue and what to do if they are all chat banned?

nice troll attempt.

Its not a troll attempt.  So before you jump to conclusions and say its a troll post hear me out.   A clan, a clan is supposed to work as a T E A M right.  There is NO " I " in T E A M.  So if an individual player and member of the clan gets a chat ban.  The entire clan gets the chat ban.  Regardless most clans are using team speak or discord.  It's would be unfortunate if text would be their only form of communication.  In turn because one individual gets punished everybody gets punished.  I'm pretty sure players behavior would change don't you think?   Don't say I'm trying to troll because I'm not if you say I'm trolling again I'll just report your thread.  MK.  But my point being this.  One person does wrong the entire group gets the punishment to hopefully correct the individual that did wrong.  Now the stipulation would be this.  If a strike is involved with the players account the one being toxic.  The entire clan would not get the strike on their account just the individual player.  

• Bad 3

[BIAS]
Members
3,149 posts
9,233 battles
4 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

Its not a troll attempt.  So before you jump to conclusions and say its a troll post hear me out.   A clan, a clan is supposed to work as a T E A M right.  There is NO " I " in T E A M.  So if an individual player and member of the clan gets a chat ban.  The entire clan gets the chat ban.  Regardless most clans are using team speak or discord.  It's would be unfortunate if text would be their only form of communication.  In turn because one individual gets punished everybody gets punished.  I'm pretty sure players behavior would change don't you think?   Don't say I'm trying to troll because I'm not if you say I'm trolling again I'll just report your thread.  MK.  But my point being this.  One person does wrong the entire group gets the punishment to hopefully correct the individual that did wrong.  Now the stipulation would be this.  If a strike is involved with the players account the one being toxic.  The entire clan would not get the strike on their account just the individual player.  

So then where is the same accountability for clanless members or single member clans such as yourself?? You are calling for higher standards and punishments for players based on their clan status.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
199 posts
458 battles

That would require some form of universal standard, such as 'professionalism'.  Clans are usually run by power hungry teenagers with no real understanding of how the real world works; not being insulting it's just how it tends to be.  Every once in a blue moon you get a clan run by someone with experience in management, but those are few and far between.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles
2 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

I'm not disputing this or anything, genuinely curious. How is a clan able to get better results when WG ultimately can ban a player temporarily or permanently?

Yeah and some clans are devoted to bullying and such if if they were left to police themselves.... They could have endless free ticket to break every rule in the game.

Members
2,156 posts
4,848 battles

if the player is being toxic or something of the sort and is a part of what looks to be a respectable clan, i'll let the clan leader know so they can decide for themselves if they want that behavior to reflect on them.

otherwise for the most part i just let WG sort them out.

[13CLM]
Members
218 posts
1,213 battles

Gaming is not real life, people do and will say things behind a keyboard. What is offensive to one person is not always offensive to another. 

• Cool 1

[TOAST]
Members
812 posts
7,256 battles

I've had dozens of invites to clans. One of the big reasons I turned them all down is because I don't want to be associated with a player(s) that lets that clan tag go to their heads. When one of your members constantly mouths off in every game you see them in it paints your entire clan in the same unflattering light. They represent you and your clan whether they realize that or not. 

Edited by Vekta408