Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Troa_Barton

So the Hood is on sale..

22 comments in this topic

[CHMC]
[CHMC]
Members
234 posts
7,416 battles

I want the Hood, for reasons unknown to me, maybe I have a problem. It is in need of a buff but it's a premium so that's very unlikely. If it had better dispersion I would grab it, shell pen doesn't matter to me since the point of a BB is to kill cruisers, pressure other BBs, and get shot at. The getting shot at thing it has down, the effective main battery for targeting smaller cruisers and applying any significant pressure to BBs..... Meh. The gimmick is actually kind of useful with all the premium CVs around in T-VII.

Is it worth getting if you already have the Nelson? I really can't justify this, I think the only reason I want this is to put those skins I unlocked to use. To really take advantage of her gimmick I would need to make a dedicated captain..

Can you convince me to buy a Hood even if it's half off? Have I underestimated her? Tanky as she may be, the new light cruisers will eat this ship alive especially if bottom tier with little fear of repercussions.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

I picked up Hood at full price knowing she'd for the most part be a port queen. My reasoning for purchasing was Historical and Play Style (Battle Cruiser).

From a collection standpoint, even if you have Nelson, wouldn't you want to be the proud owner of ALL the T7 RN BBs? 

Personally I've got Hood, DoY, and now have to grind the FExp for Nelson.

[PHRA]
Members
78 posts
9,382 battles

I've been thinking about getting the Hood for historical reasons because I have the Bismarck in port. But I think she what be a hoot to play also.

[PVE]
Members
5,606 posts
18,201 battles

I really didn't want the Hood but bought her anyways from the Tech Tree using discount doubloons. I figure I am only out $10 or so for it so went ahead. It is ok, plays like a big, slow, clumsy cruiser and less like a BB. Didn't notice a big problem with dispersion against the bots (played one co-op match in her) but you should skip the Damage Control Mod II and go with the Rudder Shift Module instead. She turns like a tub even with that in place. 

Beta Testers
2,984 posts
4,388 battles

it might be cheaper and better in the long run to buy a scale replica of hood instead of a pixel boat,if you want historical reasons.

• Bad 1

[LRM]
Supertester
550 posts
5,163 battles

As a fan of the Battlecruiser play-style, I went ahead and bought Hood today. Bought Ashitaka for the same reason earlier in the week. Thought about buying Scharnhorst yesterday.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
6 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

it might be cheaper and better in the long run to buy a scale replica of hood instead of a pixel boat,if you want historical reasons.

Yeah. But you're friends online can't hear the pew-pew sounds unless you're on VoiP.

Beta Testers
2,984 posts
4,388 battles
1 minute ago, Ivlerlin said:

Yeah. But you're friends online can't hear the pew-pew sounds unless you're on VoiP.

if they are truly naval enthusiasts they can basically visit me and together we go to the nearby lake and play real life world of warships.

no i didn't make this video.

• Cool 1

[CHMC]
[CHMC]
Members
234 posts
7,416 battles
6 minutes ago, DonKarnage2 said:

As a fan of the Battlecruiser play-style, I went ahead and bought Hood today. Bought Ashitaka for the same reason earlier in the week. Thought about buying Scharnhorst yesterday.

You missed out on the Scharn, arguably the best Battlecruiser on offer atm (not counting freemiums/tech tree ships).

Fantastic ship.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,244 posts
1,826 battles

Hood is my favorite ship in the game.  Use her right and she's good, play to her weaknesses and she's bad.

Use her speed, her good armor and her good gun angles to your advantage and she is tough and good at getting where she is needed.  Her armor profile was a weakness in reality, but in game it is a strength.  Angled, she will bounce Musashi shells for any part of her hull other than the 25mm plating on her bow and stern.  Her 51mm deck makes her very HE resistant.  I recommend a durability build, though I do run the rudder shift mod.

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,393 battles

I got the Hood way back when for 60 bucks or so. Historical reasons myself. If you get it make sure you go watch the how to videos. A good ship but the only thing I've had problems with is the shells arc differently than other ships. At 21 dollars you can add a cool ship to your collection.

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,393 battles
5 minutes ago, Troa_Barton said:

You missed out on the Scharn, arguably the best Battlecruiser on offer atm (not counting freemiums/tech tree ships).

Fantastic ship.

Got her yesterday. Been waiting two years for that one 

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,807 posts
10,315 battles

Hood is not that good in game, she's pretty but WG have only given out her historic camo with the $100 bundle.

For $20 if you're interested you're interested, if you're not, you're not.

[-K-]
Members
612 posts
4,832 battles

I want to get the Hood, as I like the vessel. Its sale price is tempting, but with a Warspite currently and the ability to get a Nelson at any stage, other than ship name and style I may pass on this.

Besides it gives me hope to get it from a Santa crate!

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
189 posts
5,251 battles
55 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

I used to have one of those, but I got the virtual pixels one anyway ;)

[INTEL]
Members
8,581 posts
25,683 battles
16 hours ago, Helstrem said:

Hood is my favorite ship in the game.  Use her right and she's good, play to her weaknesses and she's bad.

Use her speed, her good armor and her good gun angles to your advantage and she is tough and good at getting where she is needed.  Her armor profile was a weakness in reality, but in game it is a strength.  Angled, she will bounce Musashi shells for any part of her hull other than the 25mm plating on her bow and stern.  Her 51mm deck makes her very HE resistant.  I recommend a durability build, though I do run the rudder shift mod.

I second all this. I really like Hood, but play her sparingly. Her dispersion is tear-your-hair-out frustrating, but she is very tanky and difficult to cit, and her secondaries are respectably good. She has AA when you need it too. 

I'd probably play her a lot more if her guns were less problematic. But if I am going to spam out weak shells with lousy dispersion, I prefer to be in Lyon where at least I have 16 of them. 

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
269 posts
8,836 battles

I found the Hood surprisingly fun. Got the speed to reach critical places or run, really great firing angles (using all the 8 guns while decently angled) and the armor is really good if angled, not for a battlecruiser but even for a BB. Has many drawbacks (that awful dispersion) but if you play it to her strenghts, is a very good ship and fun. 

Recommended, but only if you adapt to her particular playstyle (use it as a cruiser if low tier, as a fast battleship if high tier). If you liked Kongo, you will love Hood (only the dispersion is bad)

Plus that AA makes for a lot of laughs with green CVs.

• Cool 2

[CHMC]
[CHMC]
Members
234 posts
7,416 battles

Final verdict....

maxresdefault.jpg

Not today, hopefully something better shows up in the sale.

Alpha Tester
1,960 posts

I didn't buy Hood because her historical light gray paint scheme is locked behind a paywall and I really hate her stupid rocket gimmick. Even the 50% discount still wasn't enough to entice me to buy her. WG's handling of the ship was incredibly disappointing. I'm better off buying a scale model of Hood for the historical aspect.

[-TAB-]
Alpha Tester
4,087 posts
7,644 battles

Bought it for the 50% with doubloons.  Not bad, hardly the disaster ship I've heard her to be.  The rocket gimmick seems to be a trap though; don't think you should waste time trying to build a captain specifically for AA.  Uptiered Kongo is a good way to put it.

[4HIM]
Members
1,804 posts
4,072 battles

I enjoy playing the Hood.  I do not enjoy the results I get while playing it however.  Below average damage, horrid WTR and WR in her.  

Then again, that's the story of my life in WoWS.

Sign in to follow this