You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BoJohno

stats and survivability

15 comments in this topic

Members
112 posts
887 battles

As a new player I spend a lot of time here in the forums or on youtube trying to scrounge whatever little tidbits will help me improve. I was just in a battle where for over half the fight, one cruiser took a bit of a pounding and promptly retreated to the map edge for the remainder of the fight. I prepared to verbally beat down the guy but decided not to as A. I'm new and suck pretty bad, and B. these forums. I see a lot of post regarding stats, and several where players have suggested if your survivability is below a certain percentage you should be banned from higher tier randoms because well, you suck. My style of play means I rarely survive. I love DD's so I go after the cap and do my scouting but once the crap flies I'm in there. I'm very aware I'm squishy, but I try to give support where I can. Hard to concentrate on deleting those 2 cruisers when you have to worry about the little guy buzzing behind you maybe putting a torp or 3 up your [edited]. eventually I dodge when I should have weaved, support shows up and I don't get out of there in time or whatever, but I get smashed. So I compared my style of "very aggressive but almost always getting sunk", to the cruiser guys "I'm gonna get sunk....flee!). I decided I don't have the experience to decide which is the better. I know player preference has everything to do with play style, but I also know these forums can be very opinionated on proper roles for different ship. so should I hide once I get beat up to keep a pretty "I didn't die much" stat, stop getting in knife fights with BB's, or what?And just to clarify, I don't fully engage until all players are on the field and caps being contested, so I am trying to play a DD as a DD......for a little while

[5D]
Members
1,245 posts
7,226 battles

Push/Pull

Knowing when to push a flank and when to pull back from a flank is an art. Mastering it however is the key to consistency. There's a fine line between pointless sniping/ pointless suicide, and tactical retreats/ tactical charges.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,779 posts
6,788 battles
19 minutes ago, Dolphin48 said:

if your survivability is below a certain percentage you should be banned from higher tier randoms because well, you suck

Survivability is not a very important stat IMO. Win rate* is the stat that most matters, and sometimes in order to win you need to sacrifice your ship.

* for the tier / ship class / ship of interest

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles

Well to be fair, when ANY ship is getting wrecked, they should fall back and let others take the heat....but not go to the map edge and refuse to fight. And I think the call for low stat players to be banned from high tiers is because if they're THAT bad, they don't care about learning the game and bought their way to the top because they think it's pay to win. Players who worked their way up are going to have at least average stats-but playing the 'stats game' is something you shouldn't do either, some players put way too much stock in that sort of thing when it's best used as a general guideline.

That said, what @Spartias said is true. You're still very new, it's going to take you a while to learn when to push vs pull, and then actually master the skill. And I'll add that survival rate in and of itself isn't an indicator of low skill-the stats don't say HOW long you survive for in a match. Maybe a player dies a lot, but it's always late game-if he has high damage stats, that means while he might die most matches, he's surviving long enough to influence the match and help his team. In other words, dying itself isn't necessarily bad/an indicator of skill, but dying early never helps anyone.

Pertaining to the above, I'd disagree with @vak_ and say damage dealt is the most important stat (again, IF you wanna play the stat game...) in conjunction with win rate.

Edit: I would say your best bet is to dial back the aggressiveness slightly, so you survive longer and can keep spotting, capping, and torping BBs later into the match. Not only will this increase your stats, it'll increase your credit and XP payouts, which is always nice.

Edited by Stormie1126

Members
112 posts
887 battles
5 minutes ago, vak_ said:

Survivability is not a very important stat IMO. Win rate* is the stat that most matters, and sometimes in order to win you need to sacrifice your ship.

* for the tier / ship class / ship of interest

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that. win rate is nice obviously, but since you can't really pick your team, you're at the mercy of MM. 

12 minutes ago, Spartias said:

Push/Pull

Knowing when to push a flank and when to pull back from a flank is an art. Mastering it however is the key to consistency. There's a fine line between pointless sniping/ pointless suicide, and tactical retreats/ tactical charges.

Yeah, that's a skill I'm lacking. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,779 posts
6,788 battles
5 minutes ago, Dolphin48 said:

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that. win rate is nice obviously, but since you can't really pick your team, you're at the mercy of MM. 

Everybody gets about the same MM. Matchmaking doesn't make a difference in players' win rate over a relatively large amount of battles. Their skill, on the other hand, does.

• Cool 1

Members
470 posts
12,454 battles

I have been in many battles where I ask a teammate on a sliver of health to just find a corner and hide.

It makes a difference too, as the points swing over his being sunk is about 100 points.

Also: how many of us have seen a CV with a suicide charge when he runs out of planes? He is worth more to the team alive and hiding. Maybe late game the action moves to one side of the map and he can quietly cap the other side.

Edited by Prothall

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
11 minutes ago, vak_ said:

I have noted with myself at least that as my survival rate has gone up in DD's my win rate has gone up. But I'll also freely admit my play totally sucked especially with my wickes. But the longer I survive the more caps and defended flags I get. And the more spotted damage I ring up. 

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
Just now, Prothall said:

I have been in many battles where I ask a teammate on a sliver of health to just find a corner and hide.

It makes a difference too, as the points swing over his being sunk is about 100 points.

Depends on the flow of the match, to be honest. Early game, I'd say it matters less. But you're absolutely right, there's been matches where if the sliver player had engaged, we'd have lost, because the remaining two ships couldn't kill the enemy or cap more points before the timer ran out.

Members
112 posts
887 battles
3 minutes ago, Prothall said:

That actually never occurred to me. Thanks for pointing that out. That one sentence may actually alter my play style.

[MKF]
Members
410 posts
15,098 battles
27 minutes ago, Dolphin48 said:

That actually never occurred to me. Thanks for pointing that out. That one sentence may actually alter my play style.

As mentioned above it's a balance. If I'm in a BB with 5k health and I ram a guy with 60k it was probably worth me dying. If the game is tight and I'm almost dead I might be better off going dark and hiding so as not to lose a lead. As you get more game experience those decisions become much more apparent.

Members
3,417 posts
8,276 battles

I agree with the position that it's generally desirable to have random battle survivability and WR stats that closely correlate. e.g. hypothetically if your ship type play is well rounded and your solo random/PvP WR is 55.54% and your survival rate is between 53% and 57% then you're doing quite well. 

Edited by lemekillmister

[CAST]
Members
1,201 posts
7,381 battles

I was in a T8 cruiser in a T10 game just a couple of days ago where I took some heavy shots early on, leaving me with about 200 HP and basically ruined any further chances of me engaging any ships including DDs unless it was from cover.  The enemy was spread out pretty good so that was out of the question, since I didn't always know where they were.  Even a couple of my team noticed my ship health and told me to stay back and not engage, which I did.  I did find some shooting lanes late in the game, but was still limited.  The game came down to the last minute and both the enemy and our ships traded kills with our ship getting the kill following his death, leaving me as the last player alive for the win.  If I had engaged, I definitely would have died and we probably would have lost.  Living is important.

• Cool 1

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
18,788 battles

My win rate and survival rate are both about 60% coincidence? After 17K battles I think not.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
18,788 battles
2 hours ago, Dolphin48 said:

Drive to survive, Dead guys can deal zero damage. Positioning is everything.