You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Gax_

Commander skill question.

17 comments in this topic

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

Ok it seems obvious you should get Concealment Mastery with your 10th point as a Destroyer commander. But what should be your next skill at 13th or 14th. 

Also what skill should you get for your 10th point on a cruiser captain and what skill should you take after that? 

Any help will be appreciated.

Edited by Sped_Gax
Clarify

Members
3,825 posts
14,163 battles

My DD Captains tend to vary according to the ship. Here's 2 examples of my DD Captain skills;

5b538f2d22286_DDCapt.thumb.jpg.9d255eab44ad5c63e027261987bf0cc2.jpg5b538f575e8ac_DDCapt1.thumb.jpg.88ff85ecfdedd79589878e5469323f41.jpg

These are of what I use on Heavy and Light Cruisers.

Cruiser.thumb.jpg.68c327cfdbcaa688d7323bd339c1c70c.jpgCruiser1.thumb.jpg.d4832e2d23d4cf764b7b87ed4d8ece86.jpg

I hope that these will help you decide what skills to use. Good luck and have fun!

[-WPG-]
Members
824 posts
3,401 battles

US CLs should go IFHE with the first 4 point skill.  You ability to do damage is too limited without it.  Yes it sometimes hinders your ability to disengage, but doing more damage = more XP,  which means the grinds to higher ships and that 2nd 4-point skill is faster. 

• Cool 2

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
8 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

My DD Captains tend to vary according to the ship. Here's 2 examples of my DD Captain skills;

5b538f2d22286_DDCapt.thumb.jpg.9d255eab44ad5c63e027261987bf0cc2.jpg5b538f575e8ac_DDCapt1.thumb.jpg.88ff85ecfdedd79589878e5469323f41.jpg

These are of what I use on Heavy and Light Cruisers.

Cruiser.thumb.jpg.68c327cfdbcaa688d7323bd339c1c70c.jpgCruiser1.thumb.jpg.d4832e2d23d4cf764b7b87ed4d8ece86.jpg

I hope that these will help you decide what skills to use. Good luck and have fun!

Thanks. It will help.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,780 posts
6,788 battles
1 hour ago, Sped_Gax said:

Ok it seems obvious you should get Concealment Mastery with your 10th point as a Destroyer commander. But what should be your next skill at 13th or 14th.

It really depends which DD you have. There isn't a universal commander build that's the best option for every DD. Same for cruisers. Tell us which ships you're considering.

P.S. I'd personally get adrenaline rush after CE on most DDs. It's easy to get (only two points), and helps immensely.

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles

Also what skill should you get for your 10th point on a cruiser captain and what skill should you take after that? 

I like different skills for different lines - and even different ships.

The first ten points on DDs should almost universally be PT, LS, TAE, and CE (except for the Russian boats, on which I prefer BFT for the first three point skill - except for Groz which wants SI).

After that it really depends on the line, or even the ship.

Grem and Lenin want EM next, IJN boats want SE, Aki wants IFHE - well, you get the picture - lots of options.

To give the strongest advice, we'll need a few more details about which line you are going up - and where you are on that line.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

It's highly dependent on Nation but the basic 10-Build that works for both DDs and CACLs is: PT - LS - SI - CE 

From there it tends to branch out. It also depends on your style of play and Ship's strengths/weaknesses. The question is How do you want to Minimize Weakness or Maximize Strengths (min/max).

At CMDR lv14, I'm going to assume your asking what CT4 (cmdr tier 4) skill should I acquire next. As mentioned some of the lower tier skills can be just as valuable for the 4pt Opportunity Cost.

For most my Cruisers, AFT is a good "support" option as most have access to DFA. In regards to CLs with 6" guns IFHE is a good choice for additional Main Battery punch. 

For DDs, you could potentially stock up on lower CT2 or CT3 skills and be just as effective, if not more, that taking a CT4 skill. DDs don't have the best CT4 options outside of CE. There's AFT if you want more MB range or AA support (DFA). Or there's RDF for counter DD play and BVR blind torps. There's also IFHE like the CLs for more MB punch. 

Edited by Ivlerlin

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
9 minutes ago, ddoubletapp1 said:

The first ten points on DDs should almost universally be PT, LS, TAE, and CE (except for the Russian boats, on which I prefer BFT for the first three point skill - except for Groz which wants SI).

Grem and Lenin want EM next, IJN boats want SE, Aki wants IFHE - well, you get the picture - lots of options.

To give the strongest advice, we'll need a few more details about which line you are going up - and where you are on that line.

I see your point. I'm avtually in tier 5 in all but Pan Asian (tier 3) and Russian i havent even started as I don't have a port slot to start them. 

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
23 minutes ago, Ivlerlin said:

It's highly dependent on Nation but the basic 10-Build that works for both DDs and CACLs is: PT - LS - SI - CE 

Why is PT such a good skill. As a DD driver as soon as I'm detected I'm looking to disengage immediately as I know I'm about to get shot at by almost everyone that can.  Unless im trying to finish off an enemy by gunning him down. 

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
1 minute ago, Sped_Gax said:

Why is PT such a good skill. As a DD driver as soon as I'm detected I'm looking to disengage immediately as I know I'm about to get shot at by almost everyone that can.  Unless im trying to finish off an enemy by gunning him down. 

It's a Generalist Build. The same could be said about LS on a CACL. Should you decide that CMDR belongs in a Cruiser all you need to do is retrain without doing a Re-spec.

As for PT as a DD skill, it's not as tailored as PM but it grants information that is quite helpful when using guns. For example, knowing you're "tanking" 5 ships away from other ships on your flank is knowing you're doing your job while visible. It also signals how many ships you're Spotted against are Not fully aware of your visibility. 

If you're visible to 5 but only targeted by 1 then you've got semi-free reign to pester and annoy other targets until that PT counter gets higher. 

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles
23 minutes ago, Sped_Gax said:

I see your point. I'm avtually in tier 5 in all but Pan Asian (tier 3) and Russian i havent even started as I don't have a port slot to start them. 

Cool.

Keep in mind that there are a number of skills to choose from, and almost as many combinations as there are members of the DD Mafia!

I've ground out all the T10 DDs, except the PA line - and ground a single skipper up each line to the T10 boat (except the IJN gunboat line, obviously - though I have a 19 point skipper sitting in Aki (and shared with Harekaze) waiting to finish the line.

What I'll do is give the points I've selected for the 19 point skippers I have in each of the T10s, and include any other premiums they get shared with.

I moved my 19 point skipper down fro Gearing to Fletcher, as I enjoy Fletch a lot more.

Fletcher and Z-52

Z-39

Grem, Lenin, Udaloi

Khab

Groz

Shima - shared with Fujin

Aki - shared with Harekaze

As I said - there are lots of options - these are the ones I find work for me, and my play style(s).

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
10 minutes ago, Ivlerlin said:

It's a Generalist Build. The same could be said about LS on a CACL. Should you decide that CMDR belongs in a Cruiser all you need to do is retrain without doing a Re-spec.

As for PT as a DD skill, it's not as tailored as PM but it grants information that is quite helpful when using guns. For example, knowing you're "tanking" 5 ships away from other ships on your flank is knowing you're doing your job while visible. It also signals how many ships you're Spotted against are Not fully aware of your visibility. 

If you're visible to 5 but only targeted by 1 then you've got semi-free reign to pester and annoy other targets until that PT counter gets higher. 

Now thats something I haven't considered. Although that's something I feel would take a fair amount of play to perfect. 

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles
30 minutes ago, Sped_Gax said:

PT is a very strong skill, IMO.

You need a first point skill - and the only other viable option (in DDs) is PM, but I don't find that having the odd turret or torp tube set knocked out for a few seconds to be much in the way of "make or break" - and I honestly can't remember a single incident of having either knocked out permanently on a DD (other than on Gnevny - which they fixed a looong tie ago).

PT gives the DD driver some very important information.  Knowing how many boats are targeting you gives you lots of options - knowing if you can continue capping even though detected, knowing if you need to just take evasive action by rudder and throttle, or if you need to break contact and go dark.  

I've become quite dependent on the skill for it's very valuable tactical information - and I take it on every ship - DDs, cruisers and BBs.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,780 posts
6,788 battles

Why is PT such a good skill

It gives you a lot of information that you can act upon, is the short answer here. Knowing how to use that information comes with experience.

• Cool 1

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
3 hours ago, ddoubletapp1 said:

So do Anshan and Fushun.

But Pan-Asian DDs otherwise generally want TAE second.(SE as the first 3 point skill)