You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
o0_BattleFlower_0o

Recent Losing Streak... and I mean bad...

25 comments in this topic

Members
14 posts
3,126 battles

So I'm fairly junior when it comes to posting on this forum though I have been gathering information from here for quite some time.  Hence why my win percentage and WTR has increased, general stats, and overall enjoyment of the game since the beginning... Which seems fairly long ago but no where near some of you veterans.  

I like to think of myself as an average player.  You win some you lose some, but for the most part I have fun and enjoy the game as I'm sure most of you do.  But what feels like the last week now I have been literally completely unable to catch a break it seems in the losing streak that has manifested itself into my MOJO...  

So I guess my first question is, is there any website or anywhere in the game where I can look at my recent history of win/losses?  WarshipsToday and WoWs Numbers seem to not want to give something so specific as a week or a few days.  This is mostly to show you guys how bad this has been... like think really terrible then think worse.  

Next question would be, has anyone else been experiencing this as of late?  This to me would indicate maybe a meta change that is catching a bunch of people out including myself.  Though the reason I tend to not drift this way in thought is cause I've been still doing well damage, kills, and team XP rank so it contradicts that I have a complete lack of ability to deal with the meta change.  I do feel that I have been doing well in my American CL and Russian DD while this has been happening so that does seem like somewhat meta change to me.  

Another note to make is that I'm in the stage of having a lot of T8 ships.  I'm progressing through every line there is and we all know how things tend to slow down around T8 just due to the currency production vs ship servicing.  Just for reference I have 4 T10's, 2 T9's, 8 T8's, 3 T7's, and 1 T6.  This doesn't include premiums though I don't play them an immense amount due to trying to progress the lines.  Alabama is the only consistent player which I use for grinding coin.  

So any help guys? Just have a look at my stats if you need to and I'd appreciate if there is something that I'm chronically doing incorrectly.  Any help is appreciated.  I really don't want to hate the game as much as I do right now... lol

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,336 posts
3,956 battles
24 minutes ago, o0_BattleFlower_0o said:

So I'm fairly junior when it comes to posting on this forum though I have been gathering information from here for quite some time.  Hence why my win percentage and WTR has increased, general stats, and overall enjoyment of the game since the beginning... Which seems fairly long ago but no where near some of you veterans.  

I like to think of myself as an average player.  You win some you lose some, but for the most part I have fun and enjoy the game as I'm sure most of you do.  But what feels like the last week now I have been literally completely unable to catch a break it seems in the losing streak that has manifested itself into my MOJO...  

So I guess my first question is, is there any website or anywhere in the game where I can look at my recent history of win/losses?  WarshipsToday and WoWs Numbers seem to not want to give something so specific as a week or a few days.  This is mostly to show you guys how bad this has been... like think really terrible then think worse.  

Next question would be, has anyone else been experiencing this as of late?  This to me would indicate maybe a meta change that is catching a bunch of people out including myself.  Though the reason I tend to not drift this way in thought is cause I've been still doing well damage, kills, and team XP rank so it contradicts that I have a complete lack of ability to deal with the meta change.  I do feel that I have been doing well in my American CL and Russian DD while this has been happening so that does seem like somewhat meta change to me.  

Another note to make is that I'm in the stage of having a lot of T8 ships.  I'm progressing through every line there is and we all know how things tend to slow down around T8 just due to the currency production vs ship servicing.  Just for reference I have 4 T10's, 2 T9's, 8 T8's, 3 T7's, and 1 T6.  This doesn't include premiums though I don't play them an immense amount due to trying to progress the lines.  Alabama is the only consistent player which I use for grinding coin.  

So any help guys? Just have a look at my stats if you need to and I'd appreciate if there is something that I'm chronically doing incorrectly.  Any help is appreciated.  I really don't want to hate the game as much as I do right now... lol

Dang!  Your stats are better than mine :cap_fainting:.

My paltry advice though: If you're having a losing streak, take a break from the game.  There is no use tanking your WR over a large series of losses.  Start up later in the day or the next day to get a fresh set of teammates.

• Cool 1

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

I just came out the back end of a rough patch and was rewarded yesterday with many, many wins. So you just do your time, do your best and eventually the pendulum swings back. 

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Members
152 posts
3,314 battles

I do my best to play as a team.  I do not lets stats ruin my experience although always looking to improve them.  Losing streaks can be frustrating, but I try to enjoy playing rather than only winning.

• Boring 1

[4HIM]
Members
1,813 posts
4,127 battles

Sometimes if I'm getting frustrated with a lot of losses, I'll just drop down to T2 or T3 and derp around in PvE for a bit.  Taking out the Vampire, Varyag, Diana, Smith, Touchy Banana, Derpski, or Bug Eater is just what the doctor ordered.  Just switch the brain off and go blow up ships.  And it helps the psyche to just put a "W" on the board.  It's actually kind of fun.  I typically play my first game of the day in one of the lower tier ships in PvE just as a warm up.   

Members
14 posts
3,126 battles

Thanks guys.  Like I'm serious you can't make this stuff up... 

Attached is my morning... even after posting earlier I'm after losing 3 more... Last night I played 12 and lost 12 matches... I have to stop playing this is driving me insane...  This has been going on for 3 days now...  

Thanks for the sympathy anyways... 

Capture.JPG

And just to make it clear this isn't about stats... this is about having fun... these blow out games and constantly losing aren't fun... even if I try...lol

Edited by o0_BattleFlower_0o

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
56 minutes ago, o0_BattleFlower_0o said:

It's not just you, and not just higher tiers. Take a quick browse through the last week or two of these forums, you'll see quite a few posts (including some of my own :P) venting about this. I've actually started idly looking for a clan because it's so gods-awful and WG seems to not want to do anything about it.

The cause is a few things mixing together to create a perfect storm of [edited] soup:

1. The recent implementation of radar.

2. School's out. Aaaaaall the DGAF 'waaaah it's my team's fault not mine I YOLO'd, got isolated and wasted you're all [edited] suckers blueurghhurrgherrghg' high schoolers and college kids are out in extreme force.

3. As I'm aware, there's been a change to the fire/HE meta, so cruisers are suddenly way more capable of solo killing BBs or absolutely wrecking them in seconds with focus-fire.

Radar means DDs won't scout or cap, the HE spam means BBs won't push, and the school kids being such an overwhelming presence means there's an overabundance of players YOLOing for the sake of personal stats or just wanting to pew-pew in big floating hunks of steel, rather than team play and winning...when they don't realize their stats would probably be way better if they played the game as intended, eg. as a team.

As others have kind of hinted at-while you do definitely have a valid complaint-maybe a very slight readjustment in your mentality is needed. A win shouldn't be necessary to have fun, so long as the gameplay is engaging and matches aren't one sided blowouts, and stats aren't the be-all end all, more a general guideline to give an idea of where a player is at skill wise. But I've had plenty of matches (before the last few weeks anyway) where my team has lost but the match itself was a blast, because both teams were on an even level.

And like Zardoz said, if it's getting that bad, drop down to T1-4 for a bit and go PvE, or even PvP and just seal club newbies and bots just to make yourself feel better :P

Edit: Missed the bit in your last reply saying it's not about stats, so.....disregard that portion of my reply XP

Edited by Stormie1126
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,997 battles

Streaks unfortunately do happen.  I had 33% W/R during the 4th of July week. The good news is that winning streaks also happen.

Members
14 posts
3,126 battles
4 minutes ago, Stormie1126 said:

It's not just you, and not just higher tiers. Take a quick browse through the last week or two of these forums, you'll see quite a few posts (including some of my own :P) venting about this. I've actually started idly looking for a clan because it's so gods-awful and WG seems to not want to do anything about it.

The cause is a few things mixing together to create a perfect storm of [edited] soup:

1. The recent implementation of radar.

2. School's out. Aaaaaall the DGAF 'waaaah it's my team's fault not mine I YOLO'd, got isolated and wasted you're all [edited] suckers blueurghhurrgherrghg' high schoolers and college kids are out in extreme force.

3. As I'm aware, there's been a change to the fire/HE meta, so cruisers are suddenly way more capable of solo killing BBs or absolutely wrecking them in seconds with focus-fire.

Radar means DDs won't scout or cap, the HE spam means BBs won't push, and the school kids being such an overwhelming presence means there's an overabundance of players YOLOing for the sake of personal stats or just wanting to pew-pew in big floating hunks of steel, rather than team play and winning...when they don't realize their stats would probably be way better if they played the game as intended, eg. as a team.

As others have kind of hinted at-while you do definitely have a valid complaint-maybe a very slight readjustment in your mentality is needed. A win shouldn't be necessary to have fun, so long as the gameplay is engaging and matches aren't one sided blowouts, and stats aren't the be-all end all, more a general guideline to give an idea of where a player is at skill wise. But I've had plenty of matches (before the last few weeks anyway) where my team has lost but the match itself was a blast, because both teams were on an even level.

And like Zardoz said, if it's getting that bad, drop down to T1-4 for a bit and go PvE, or even PvP and just seal club newbies and bots just to make yourself feel better :P

Edit: Missed the bit in your last reply saying it's not about stats, so.....disregard that portion of my reply XP

I'm completely forgot about the kids out of school thing lol.  Everything else you say is true too man. 

And I agree that you don't need to win to have fun but like you say a blowout and the even worse winning by a huge margin then loss matches can only be tolerated so much.

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
1 minute ago, o0_BattleFlower_0o said:

I'm completely forgot about the kids out of school thing lol.  Everything else you say is true too man. 

And I agree that you don't need to win to have fun but like you say a blowout and the even worse winning by a huge margin then loss matches can only be tolerated so much.

Yeah. Like you, I'm an average player-I do best on a team that for the most part at least tries to coordinate, which in turn means even if I die, my rewards-the thing that makes the game, well, rewarding-go up. The sense of achievement, of "hey, I did well even if I lost" is there. When you're on a team of Lemmings or YOLOers, get wasted cuz you're trying to actually play properly, but can only do so  much when you're the ONLY one doing that; your rewards are next to nil, you walk away with 'well I just got nothing for my time, which means I'll also have a harder time getting that next container or ship upgrade I'm aiming for, which is a reward in itself.' And all that is just on top of the RNG factor inherent to the game, which you can do nothing about.

So yeah, it can definitely be rage inducing to the point of wanting to reach through your screen to strangle someone, or even intentionally team kill. I was at that point myself last night, that's when I knew I had to walk away lol.

• Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,997 battles
Just now, o0_BattleFlower_0o said:

Blowouts occur 1/6 the of the time, even if both sides are evenly matched. Chalk it up to Lanchert's Law. The first side to lose 1-2 ships will be hard pressed to win. Add the passive play and the sub par play occurring on both sides..eh.

[HELLS]
Members
1,703 posts
15,579 battles

People playing in clans and divisions are using online chat a lot more lately. This allows groups who communicate verbally to discuss and decide on tactics in real time while playing. The net result is devastating for the other team if they are not set up to communicate verbally in real time, because reacting in normal chat takes away your rconcentration and situational awareness.. I just played a game in Random in Gallant where I capped, defended cap, and sank 3 BBs and finished top of team in a loss. The other team had two divisions and the division mates were communicating verbally during play and it showed as they grouped to focus fire on my team mates one by one, while my team was ranting in normal chat about bad MM. MM had nothing to do with it. You cannot chat in writing and conn and fight your ship at the same time because the control setup does not allow it. Verbal comms work like a charm without affecting game play. I never said anything in chat beyond the F-key good luck, and never answered any calls in chat either. I was too busy trying to do my best to survive and win in a negative environment, because the use of verbal comms by the opposing team was evident within 30 seconds of game start. I have seen a lot of this since the beginning of clan battles, and some clans will not allow members who cannot use verbal chat to join a clan division in clan battles, or to join a division with fellow clan members in Random play. You will end up on the losing side more than 50% of the time in this situation.

Edited by GrandAdmiral_2016

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
45 minutes ago, o0_BattleFlower_0o said:

Attached is my morning... even after posting earlier I'm after losing 3 more... Last night I played 12 and lost 12 matches... I have to stop playing this is driving me insane...  This has been going on for 3 days now...  

Capture.JPG

And just to make it clear this isn't about stats... this is about having fun... these blow out games and constantly losing aren't fun... even if I try...lol

My sympathies. As I'm still early in my WoW endeavors Ive not experienced loosing to this streak. But when I do have a bad streak of 4 or 5 in a row. I shut it down and walk away, doing something non game to take my mind off it. 

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles

Lots of baddies out right now. An abundance of slow BBs hugging the borders taking their guns out of the fight. I guess I told enough of them today to reposition that I got chat banned. Oh well, can't help people that don't care to improve. 

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles
1 hour ago, o0_BattleFlower_0o said:

Capture.JPG

The sad part is that's high tier. I can understand tier 3-6 having clueless people that are new, but how in Gods name can someone with 6k battles and 5 Tier 10s not know what to do on an Encounter map?

• Cool 1

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles

Ha ha - you'll hear lots of talk about "luck runs" and "random streaks" - but my best guess is that its a little more complicated than that.

As far as I can tell, there have been a few "tweaks" to the MM.  We know it allows for tier spread, divisions, and ship matching by type - but I think there are a few other parameters being considered, as well.

I'm not sure if its total matches played, recent or overall WR (specific to your total average or to the ship you are entering the match with), recent or overall WTR, or some other single or combination of factors - but I really do think there are more factors at play.

What I've found works best for me is to begin each gaming session with a ship with a weak over-all set of stats.  Molotov, Emerald, T22 - you get the idea.

If it doesn't work, and you get a run of four or five losses - where you were placed on teams that absolutely wrecked themselves - log out of the client, shut down the game - then log back in and try again.

My guess is that "recent WR" plays a real factor in the MM "tweak", as this works almost every time I've tried it - with my next run of matches being on the team that does the wrecking.

This is all anecdotal - but I really do believe something has changed recently with MM.  I point to my recent run in Fujin - a ship that I have (had) a 63%WR in, over some 350 matches.

Its now down to 61% - with every match I've entered a loss in catastrophic fashion, despite actually raising the ship's Ave Dmg over the same stretch.  In the last dozen matches in the ship I've had a single win - and it required a six kill, 158K dmg effort, with every single teammate already dead.

The only real way to maintain a more stable WR, is to div with some decent clan-mates.

• Cool 1

Members
14 posts
3,126 battles
4 minutes ago, ddoubletapp1 said:

Ha ha - you'll hear lots of talk about "luck runs" and "random streaks" - but my best guess is that its a little more complicated than that.

As far as I can tell, there have been a few "tweaks" to the MM.  We know it allows for tier spread, divisions, and ship matching by type - but I think there are a few other parameters being considered, as well.

I'm not sure if its total matches played, recent or overall WR (specific to your total average or to the ship you are entering the match with), recent or overall WTR, or some other single or combination of factors - but I really do think there are more factors at play.

What I've found works best for me is to begin each gaming session with a ship with a weak over-all set of stats.  Molotov, Emerald, T22 - you get the idea.

If it doesn't work, and you get a run of four or five losses - where you were placed on teams that absolutely wrecked themselves - log out of the client, shut down the game - then log back in and try again.

My guess is that "recent WR" plays a real factor in the MM "tweak", as this works almost every time I've tried it - with my next run of matches being on the team that does the wrecking.

This is all anecdotal - but I really do believe something has changed recently with MM.  I point to my recent run in Fujin - a ship that I have (had) a 63%WR in, over some 350 matches.

Its now down to 61% - with every match I've entered a loss in catastrophic fashion, despite actually raising the ship's Ave Dmg over the same stretch.  In the last dozen matches in the ship I've had a single win - and it required a six kill, 158K dmg effort, with every single teammate already dead.

The only real way to maintain a more stable WR, is to div with some decent clan-mates.

Interesting... I never brought this topic up earlier for fear of being labeled a conspiracy theorist but I can't deny I've thought of this.  The one thing I do wonder if this is the case is that why sometimes my team is so terrible.  If WG actually started MM by recent skill, win rate, etc. you would think the matches would become more balanced and end more closely.  This due to their being an equal number of higher skilled and lower skilled players on each side.  

Food for thought I guess.

Though if some sort of MM algorithm has actually be implemented that has gone horribly wrong, I sure hope they fix it soon... For my own sanity sake if anything... lol

• Cool 1

Members
14 posts
3,126 battles

Like you can't make this stuff up.  Figured I'd try my hand at lower tiers after a couple more loses and this... All be it more closely matched end numbers wise, I still couldn't hard carry to victory...

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

[-THOR]
Members
167 posts
2,206 battles
7 minutes ago, o0_BattleFlower_0o said:

A premium conspiracy?

Capture.JPG

It's probably explained more by the way probabilities go.  If you flip a coin enough, you're going to have streaks where you get 7 heads in a row.  I was about 2-10 last night, and a lot of the 10 losses were situations where I was on the top of the (losing) team.  I can empathize.  While others have commented on a bunch of recent game changes, that really doesn't have anything to do with it.  The changes affect both teams, so if cruisers are suddenly better (which they are), then your team's cruisers should also be better. 

It's important to remember that even for good players, about 90% of the matches are going to end up the same way regardless of what they do or how well they play.  It's the inevitable consequence of 12 versus 12 - the individual matters a lot less.  

My only advice is that when you're having a bad streak, fall back on your best ship.  Focus on playing your best and you'll eventually win.  Or like in my case last night, have a bad round where I get taken out early, and then go on to be on the winning team notwithstanding that bad performance because, again, your individual performance usually doesn't have a big impact on the overall result.

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
1 hour ago, prevans said:

It's probably explained more by the way probabilities go.  If you flip a coin enough, you're going to have streaks where you get 7 heads in a row.  I was about 2-10 last night, and a lot of the 10 losses were situations where I was on the top of the (losing) team.  I can empathize.  While others have commented on a bunch of recent game changes, that really doesn't have anything to do with it.  The changes affect both teams, so if cruisers are suddenly better (which they are), then your team's cruisers should also be better. 

It's important to remember that even for good players, about 90% of the matches are going to end up the same way regardless of what they do or how well they play.  It's the inevitable consequence of 12 versus 12 - the individual matters a lot less.  

My only advice is that when you're having a bad streak, fall back on your best ship.  Focus on playing your best and you'll eventually win.  Or like in my case last night, have a bad round where I get taken out early, and then go on to be on the winning team notwithstanding that bad performance because, again, your individual performance usually doesn't have a big impact on the overall result.

Yeah, I had a Farragut match on Neighbors(a Tier VIII match, mind you) where I positioned correctly and never made a wrong decision but we still lost like 3 or 4 to 11.

Members
14 posts
3,126 battles
1 hour ago, prevans said:

I"m talking at least 3 days maybe 30 matches of strait losses.  If you go by the whole probability thing and nothing you do really matters than the likelihood that a person would lose 95% for 30 matches is very near impossible.  

[-THOR]
Members
167 posts
2,206 battles
23 hours ago, o0_BattleFlower_0o said:

I"m talking at least 3 days maybe 30 matches of strait losses.  If you go by the whole probability thing and nothing you do really matters than the likelihood that a person would lose 95% for 30 matches is very near impossible.  

Well, apparently the probability of flipping a coin and getting heads 30 times in a row is about 1 in 30 million.  So, if you actually lost 30 in a row, I'm going to concede it's probably more than just bad luck at play in your situation. 

That being said, there is always the gambler's fallacy to consider, which basically says that each time you start a match your chances of winning remain the same as they did prior to the previous rounds, regardless of the outcome during those previous rounds - i.e. the past results don't affect the future probability.  In WOWs terms,, whether you've won the last ten in a row or lost the last ten in a row, matchmaker doesn't care and your chances are still 50% of winning the upcoming match.