You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
__crazy8s_

Fletcher or Gearing?

Which DD Should I ultimately Buy For My TOP  

27 members have voted

This poll is closed for new votes
  1. 1. Which DD should I buy back?

• Gearing
    • Fletcher
    • OR Why Not Both

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/22/2018 at 11:12 PM

24 comments in this topic

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

I'm in the process of buying back all of my tier 9 ships before I start buying back my tier 10s.  With that being said there's one DD that I've been going back and forth on.  Gearing?  Or Fletcher?  Personally aside from the shorter torpedo range 16km really isnt even necessary.  Fletcher I think is better in so many different ways.  So which one should I buy back and invest in a permanent camouflage for?

Edited by torpsRus
  • Boring 1

[BSL]
Members
740 posts
14,559 battles

Once you get used to Gearing, try to buy back Fletcher and you'll be disappointed.

• Bad 1

[NOOBS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
470 posts
11,929 battles

I recently bought the Fletcher and in my experience, she is just "unlucky"    Tier 9 boats generally have many failings to begin with.   

On a history note did you know that 3  Fletcher class DD's where chosen to lead the US Fleet into Tokyo harbor for signing of the surrender?   Halsey chose the 3,   Nichols, Fletcher and OBannon,  OBannon was the most decorated ship in WWII saw the most action and never lost a soul.  Halsey told the Obannon they could stay and watch the signing of surrender or head home to San Francisco.  O'Bannon booked for home right then and there.   

USS_O'Bannon;PotatoPlaque.gif

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

I've already played Gearing.  Playing several games in it.  Sadly I was actually more disappointed in Gearing.  The only reason I was asking is because I actually have at the moment 58 available port slots to house ships.  I can buy back all of my tier 9s and all of my tier 10s literally lol.

[OSG]
Beta Testers
1,354 posts
14,793 battles

I used to always say "Fletcher" in answer to this question because it's torps used to reload much faster (81 sec. vs. like 103 sec.) and they hit harder.  But now that you can use these same torpedoes on the Gearing I cannot say the Fletcher is better.  The Gearing has a little better guns but does not have the maneuverability of the Fletcher.  The Gearing does give you the option of the longer range/slower reloading torps, so I guess I would lean towards the Gearing now.

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

Right now I'm actually grinding the credits back to buy my Z-46 back next line to be on the buy backs will be US followed by Japan then Germany.  Maybe I'll grab my Pan Asian back as well.  Good thing I got Mo to grind credits on lol.

[MKF]
Members
410 posts
15,094 battles

Fletcher was my vote, just love that ship. At T10 I'd rather play my Z or Groz

[WOLF6]
Members
1,874 posts
4,926 battles

Fletcher and Gearing are pretty close, performance wise, with the Fletcher having a 100m advantage in detactability, and better turn radius. Better rudder shift on Gearing though. I use the Fletcher torps on both, for the faster reload. But honestly? The PADDs are better at T9 and T10, especially with the new radar meta. You don't need torps for DDs as knife fighting in caps is a thing of the past. If you've got those, use them. YY's torps are monstrous.

Edited by Thornir

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
Just now, Thornir said:

Fletcher and Gearing are pretty close, performance wise, with the Fletcher having a 100m advantage in detactability, and better turn radius. Better rudder shift on Gearing though. I use the Fletcher torps on both, for the faster reload. But honestly? The PADDs are better that T9 and T10, especially with the new radar meta. You don't need torps for DDs as knife fighting in caps is a thing of the past. If you've got those, use them.

Lol if I wanna DD knife fight I'll just take my Akizuki out.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,205 posts
12,732 battles

Buy the ship you enjoy more.

I don't understand why this is such a common question. It's a game. Play the ship you enjoy.

• Cool 3

[WOLF6]
Members
1,874 posts
4,926 battles
2 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

Lol if I wanna DD knife fight I'll just take my Akizuki out.

LOL if you wanna knife fight don't do it against a CM or a YY. And LOL don't do it in a cap or the radar bubbas will light you up for the world to see.

[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts

Between the two, for me, Gearing all the way. Much better gun handling, a bit tankier because of the 21mm mid ship belt, and now she can equip Fletcher's torps. Only thing Fletcher still has over Gearing is very slightly better AA.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,874 posts
4,926 battles
5 minutes ago, Lert said:

I don't understand why this is such a common question. It's a game. Play the ship you enjoy.

I think, Lert that the issue for many - including myself, often - is that "enjoy" = "winning".

[HINON]
Supertester
19,205 posts
12,732 battles
1 minute ago, Thornir said:

I think, Lert that the issue for many - including myself, often - is that "enjoy" = "winning".

I still don't see the problem. If winning is all you care about, look at your own stats and see which ship you won more in, buy that one back, problem solved.

<Edit> Even then, how well you do in a ship depends on your play style and your certain set of skills, things you're good at and things you're not. We don't know about OPs play style, what he's good at and what not. And yet, we should tell him what to play? That can only go wrong.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,874 posts
4,926 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

I still don't see the problem. If winning is all you care about, look at your own stats and see which ship you won more in, buy that one back, problem solved.

You're making too much sense. That's just crazy talk! :Smile_Default:

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
12 minutes ago, Lert said:

My problem is I like Fletcher a bit better but I did like Gearing somewhat.  I mean I could just get them both back.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,205 posts
12,732 battles
Just now, torpsRus said:

My problem is I like Fletcher a bit better but I did like Gearing somewhat

Then there is no problem. You liked Fletcher better, buy Fletcher.

Just now, torpsRus said:

I mean I could just get them both back.

Or that. Again, no problem.

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
38 minutes ago, Lert said:

Then there is no problem. You liked Fletcher better, buy Fletcher.

I did actually like Fletcher a lot better, maybe it's because it reminded me some what of Farragut for some reason.  The guns on Fletcher are pretty dirty too lol.

Members
1,149 posts
3,141 battles

I would argue that Gearing is better (assuming you use the short ranged torps) because of the faster reloading and more numerous guns, but fletcher has better manuverability. If you want the 16.5km torps then only gearing can offer that. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,085 posts
14,482 battles

Gearing torps buffed with TA, and her gunplay is great.  The range of her torps even with TA lets her safely do her thing, at least in terms of area denial or torping camping players, in safe range from Radar.  Otherwise things like Worcester would love nothing better than for you to sail within 10km of her.

But the one thing I have disliked with Gearing compared to Fletcher is she's a pig.  She's big.  When spotted, she's easy to hit.  She maneuvers badly.

Fletcher has harder hitting, respectably ranged torpedoes.  Her gunplay is still fine.  She also doesn't sail like a dead yak like Gearing.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PSP]
Members
6,251 posts
8,888 battles

I prefer the Gearing, if for nothing else that it's my only tier X and several campaigns require a tier X. The Fletcher is more agile but the Gearing is tankier. The Fletcher's torps reload faster and hit harder but I notice now that you can equip Fletcher torps on a Gearing so that point is moot. The Gearing has more guns and is better in a brawl, especially with the commander skill that adds hitpoints. I really couldn't see keeping my Fletcher after I got the Gearing.

The Gearing is by far my most favorite ship. I just love the high-tier DD playstyle.

I'm toying around with the Fletcher torps on the Gearing. It definitely changes my play-style a bit. The first experiment was a success for me (top of my team) but the team lost.  I'm not so sure that I like the Fletcher torps with the new radar meta though. It's nice to sit back 11 km, comfortably out of radar range, and send torpedoes to the enemy. I've had a lot of luck sending long-range torps into caps too. Like I said, it's a different playstyle with the shorter range torps. My damage numbers seem higher though.

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
3,417 posts
8,276 battles

You're aware Gearing can now be equipped with Fletcher 10.5 km torpedoes?

I have both with permanent camouflage so I'm in the why not both camp.

Edited by lemekillmister

[SYN]
Members
4,546 posts
11,437 battles

I have and love both, but given the choice I'll take the Gearing.

Always top tier, though that really doesn't matter with destroyers.  More HP, and tankier as destroyers go.  More gun power.  Much longer legged torps (mine has torp reload upgrade and captain's torp reload skill), and can use the Fletcher's torps if one so chooses.  Only marginally less stealth.  Has a 19-point captain.

Edited by Kuckoo