Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
nagasakee

George the Gremlin and the USS Massachusetts

5 comments in this topic

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
552 posts
12,008 battles

One of the cool things WG did with the Mass was to include George the gremlin on the side of the first turret.  I looked it up and found some interesting info on George.   Apparently, someone said that watching the shells fly out of the Mass's guns, and the way they spun, shook and wobbled, made it seem like a gremlin was riding them.  The photos below are of George on the Mass today, and it the "version" WG used.

George  George Again

Another theory was that any time something went wrong on the ship...it was due to the gremlin.

I was not aware that most turrets on warships had such painting, of different things of course, but painting the turret was " a thing".   Apparently when the other battleships got decommissioned, all the other turrets were painted over. When the Commonwealth of Mass (through a mass fundraiser from the people, the "plankowners", this painting was saved, though modified. The USS Massachusetts gremlin was named George after the ship's primary lookout, George Hains (per http://polyticks.com/bbma/george.htm)

But two things are different from "our George" and the real George per the photo below.  First, the shell on the real ship was lighter in color, and second it had three flags not two.   Anyway it is cool, and I'd like to thank WarGaming for including it.   Very cool guys!

george.jpg

Edited by nagasakee
  • Cool 2

[-S-R-]
[-S-R-]
Members
76 posts
2,131 battles

they put it on the wrong side in-game and turret though lol

Edited by Hydrawlix

Members
1,152 posts
3,141 battles

Same thing as the pirate on Kidd. It's nice WG includes these things, they obviously did their homework (or went to the ship like they did with Kidd)

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,779 posts
6,788 battles
7 hours ago, nagasakee said:

One of the cool things WG did with the Mass was to include George the gremlin on the side of the first turret.  I looked it up and found some interesting info on George.   Apparently, someone said that watching the shells fly out of the Mass's guns, and the way they spun, shook and wobbled, made it seem like a gremlin was riding them.

To illustrate (and yes, this is USS Massachusetts, not some other BB):

1096631_original.jpg

Also, the painting on turret #2 you have in your post is a reproduction. But they've apparently also recently uncovered a painting from that era on turret #1 while doing restorations. At least it wasn't there a few years back, but when I went I visited a couple of weeks ago it was. Doesn't look like much, it's basically a faint outline, but still.

Sign in to follow this