Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Avrova1904

How can I improve the chances of torpedo hits with Japanese dds?

12 comments in this topic

Members
267 posts
4,751 battles

Hi,

I am with Fubuki but most of times I end the game with 3000 damage with no torpedo hits, just some random HE hits. I used to do better with Minekaze but with Fubuki I am almost forced to stay at 8 km to launch torpedos and most of the times ships change courses, this is really frustrating. Any advice?

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,258 posts
2,029 battles

I never went to high up in IJN DDs, so I'm of limited use, but I find that compensating for the enemy's manuevers tends to help get hits.

If you fire at the grey line, the torpedoes will only ever but if the enemy keeps the same course and speed.

Typically, though, players will manuever to avoid when they spot the torpedoes, in one of two ways.

1) Turning out - hopefully they do this, it's the worse option. This extends the time to target, although not by much, so a normally aimed spread can still get hits - but the majority of the fish will still end up behind the target. To take advantage of the increased time to target, you'll have to launch further ahead.

2) They turn in and possibly cut their speed - typically the best strategy to avoid torpedoes, to counter this you have to fire before the grey line, to compensate for the fact they're not going to be where the line says they'll be after they turn.

[RLGN]
Members
8,252 posts
17,271 battles

Like Phoenix said; you’ll have t learn to anticipate how a target might maneuver if you want to stay at longer ranges.

What I also do is watch the maps like a hawk, and if I see the chance to do so, I’ll close from behind terrain and ambush a target at point blank range. Very high risk, but also a lot less chance the Red can dodge.

After that, run away and hide, then try again.

• Cool 2

Members
2,288 posts
4,107 battles

Sail around with only your torpedoes selected. If the target has priority target they won't know they are targeted.

Randomize your torpedo launch times. Don't just spam them as soon as they are loaded.

Don't smoke unless you have to. Use your stealth to get into unexpected areas. 

Spotting > damage

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
271 posts
3,711 battles

fubuki is fun. Until you get good at anticipating where the reds will go shoot half forward and half back of the aiming fan, if the red goes straight you hit if slows or speeds up you get hits. After you launch watch what your prey does learn and adapt

[KNTI2]
Members
787 posts
4,302 battles

IJN torpedoes have a significant nerf in that they can be spotted half a kilometer before any other nation's.

The most reliable, but riskiest, way to ensure a hit is to close distance to about 7km on a broadside target.

Otherwise, fire from 8-9 (no more than 9) km on a preferably broadside target, and "fill" your torp spreads. By this, I mean to fire one tight spread in a way that makes them go in a predictable direction (i.e fire slightly behind the white arc to make them turn out rather than in), wait about 3 seconds, then fire a wide spread ahead of the white arc, and then fire a tight spread on the same track as the wide spread.

By switching between the two spreads, you can actually "fill in" the gaps normally made when you fire either (the tight spread "fills in" the gaps in the wide and vice versa).

This should ensure at least one hit. Again, you want to ideally get a broadside angle on an unsuspecting target.

[HEROS]
Members
1,428 posts
12,017 battles

um.. oh your going to love this.

There is only one way to improve your torpedo hit percentage, and that is to get so close that the target simply cannot dodge the shot.    I'm a solid IJN DD/ torp player but even my best is only a 6% hit percentage with torpedo's.  I'm very practiced.   WIth guns I'm over 30%, very comfortably over with some ships.  Everything else that will improve your chances of hitting all have to do with ship selection and map knowledge.   Ships with torpedo's with low detection ranges will hit far far far more often then torps with high detection ranges.  Deep Water torpedo's have the lowest detection range of all but won't hit DD's.. and in the case of the IJN DWT's won't hit cruisers either.  But they're very very difficult for the targets to dodge with having hydro so the see them sooner.  AFter 2 years of playing, torpedo warhead size has become immaterial.  If you can't get hits it doesn't matter how big the warhead is.   

I'm going to assume your likely running with a 4% or less hit rate with torps and if so, you have a reason to be concerned.  Study the maps.. Look at the maps from the opposing side.  Where are enemy ships going to go? When will the likely be there.  Arrange to have torpedo's arriving at about the same time.   You don't even need to have a target to do that.  When approaching a cap, will your torps reach across the cap?  Are you using the RPF commander Skill?  Put one launcher of torps to the left and the right of your RPF bearing and then turn around and go reload your tubes.   (you do this because the RPF target is rarely approaching you nose on.. you want to put the torps where they will be, not where they have been) The cap isn't going anywhere, it ok to not take it right away.  It's much more important to be a threat in being as a DD when it comes to achieving objectives,  BB don't like pushing against DD because of torps.. and a second hint.  If your fire torps fire ONE rack.. don't fire all your launchers at once unless you have an absolute for sure kill.  If you see smoke, give it a wide spread.. Might miss might hit, might force em out of the smoke, might cause them to interrupt their shooting and back it off.

I assume you play some of the other MMO's out there..  Torps are dangerous, but what the really are is a Crowd Control button beside being a huge burst damage dealing weapon  On the other hand, Battleship guns are far more more accurate, fire more often and have better fire arcs, and  tend to get to the target much sooner, and all in all are a bit more difficult to dodge.  They also hit pretty hard but the damage output is a bit more variable.   Heavy RNG effect. 

Back to the CC use.   Don't want the other team going that way.. make it risky for them and be sure to shoot the torps where they WILL see them  (sneaky yea?)  You will see BB turn broadside to your entire team to avoid torps..  They will suck 18" shells out of a Yamato's guns just to avoid getting torped!  I don't know what it is with BB players complaints about DD's... they consistently cause more damage in a match then the DD's do.  Torpedo's are the most consistent damage dealers... when they hit.

It's not much.  There is no rabbit to be pulled out of the hat with this one. And there are no short cuts to practice and experience.  Keep on plugg'n!

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,943 posts
7,518 battles

Get close, if you can. Use terrain to your advantage, set up ambushes if possible. Learn the maps, torp choke points and places ships are most likely to go.

[WORX]
Members
1,850 posts
12,893 battles
3 hours ago, Avrova1904 said:

I am with Fubuki but most of times I end the game with 3000 damage with no torpedo hits, just some random HE hits. I used to do better with Minekaze but with Fubuki I am almost forced to stay at 8 km to launch torpedos and most of the times ships change courses, this is really frustrating. Any advice?

If you're trying to get better torp hits then the IJN Kamikaze is the ship for you. If your trying to better you torp hits on a specific ship then, from FUBUKI upwards, torp hits is a relearn-able skill. Especially with the radar soup from tier 8 up. Getting dev strikes with torps is not easy.  I say start in the mid tiers then adjust to the meta as you advance. 

[LHG]
Members
1,193 posts
4,965 battles

The best time to torp someone is when they're busy dealing with something else.

See an enemy battleship forced to bow-in to friendly battleships? Get on the flank and be the hammer to your team's anvil.

See a cruiser or destroyer trying to rush towards a cap point or cover? Send a surprise to meet them there.

The worst times to attack are when you as the destroyer are the only one putting pressure on the enemy, and they are aware of this fact.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,017 posts
8,249 battles

The Way of Knowing. I copied this from watching DD videos and reading the Eragon books.

See the target. Where are his guns facing? Speed? Position on the minimap? Is he turning to dodge incoming fire?

The only important is concentrate. See everything that concerns the target. It takes time, but I was able to get a feel for the target's next movements in upcoming 60 seconds and whether to fire. It's not a 100% reliable skill, but when you predict correctly and nothing happens to upset it (such as another DD's torps forcing him to turn), the results tend to be devastating. This is how I've nabbed torp-aware BBs in my Z-46, Shimakaze, and Yugumo.

Btw, that's where my WOWS-Sharingan comes from.

Other option for more torp hits is BANZAI! Use island cover to get closer, pop engine boost, and get close enough to unleash torps at 2km. VMF DDs are the best at this since move quickest, but any DD that gets within 8km is very dangerous.

Sign in to follow this