You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Col_Calibre

Purchase Costs of New ships

16 comments in this topic

[SPARO]
[SPARO]
Members
53 posts
4,535 battles

I am real confused about some of the numbering systems that are use throughout the games.

Firstly, how can I buy my next ship by not using the XP (with the star) in the upper right corner ?? I would like to save all of that when I can and use the Exchange Credits instead.

I have worked real hard for 2 days to help increase the XP and the Exchange Credits  so I could by the Emerald or Orion.

Cost- 18 000 &  8 400 (respectively) .  How do I know that I have reached that number or just how close will I be at any one point??

Thanks for the help.

Col Calibre 

Spoiler
Spoiler

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

The XP in the upper right is your free XP to use on anything. The individual ships earned XP towards their modules like hulls and guns, and the next ship in line.

Select your Danae and look at the stat box on the right, above the captain you'll see how much XP that ship has accrued. From there you can guess easily how much you need towards Emerald.

[-BMV-]
Members
346 posts
6,579 battles

The green star in the upper right is free xp.  You can only "convert xp" or "exchange credits" by purchasing or earning doubloons.  Those are functions you do with doubloons to get more free xp or credits (the actual things shown in the top right), respectively.

If you need see how close you are to the next ship go to the modules tab of the previous ship (Danae or Bellerophon).  The last module will be researching the next ship.  The xp earned on the ship is above its stats on the right side of the screen.  When the xp on the right exceeds the one on the module screen you can research it.  Then it will let you know the credits you need to purchase (you can also see this by mousing over in the tech tree).  If you have enough you can do so immediately.

Additionally you can use that green xp in the upper right in place of the xp from the ship.  So if you don't have enough xp on the ship but the free xp makes up the difference you can use the combination of the two to "pay" your research cost.  You will still need the appropriate amount of credits.

[SPARO]
[SPARO]
Members
53 posts
4,535 battles

I did just buy the Wyoming Battleship and part of that sucked a bunch of my Free XP. How can I keep that from happening and use the exchange credits only to research and make ship purchases ??

Edited by Col_Calibre
More info

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
9 minutes ago, Col_Calibre said:

I did just buy the Wyoming Battleship and part of that sucked a bunch of my Free XP. How can I keep that from happening and use the exchange credits only to research and make ship purchases ??

You can't. Credits cannot research ships or modules. Only xp can research them. You need to play the ships in order to earn xp to research the next ship in the line.

[O_O]
Members
4,408 posts
9,548 battles

In port you can see how much ship XP (not Free XP) you have accumulated for that ship.  You can also see how much XP it will cost you to upgrade modules and eventually, the next ship in that line.  If you haven't accumulated enough ship XP and attempt to research the next module or the next ship, the game will assume you want to make up the difference using Free XP.  

[-BMV-]
Members
346 posts
6,579 battles
Just now, Col_Calibre said:

I did just buy the Wyoming Battleship and part of that sucked a bunch of my Free XP. How can I keep that from happening and exchange credits to make ship purchases ??

Every time you make a purchase it will say you are spending this much ship xp (silver star) and this much free xp (green star).  Then you have to confirm you want that.  If you want to save free xp don't confirm if it uses up too much free xp and go play the ship some more. 

You can't do anything about the credits besides wait for a sale (which at the tier you are playing is a waste of time). Sales happen once or twice a month often for only one ship line or nation.  There will probably be one in the beginning of August for Wargaming's birthday.  Ships cost what they cost. 

And you can't use credits to fund the xp cost of a ship.  They are two currencies and you have to make full payments in both to get the ship.  You can see this in the tech tree.  If you mouse over a ship it will have a research cost (xp) and purchase price (credits).  You need to have both to get it.  The only way to get more free xp (besides playing the game) is by purchasing doubloons to convert xp from your elite ships (ones that you have researched all modules and the next ship) into free xp.  The normal cost for this is 1 doubloon turns 25 xp into 25 free xp.  You can also convert doubloons into credits but its not a great idea.  The exchange rate there is 1 doubloon = 1500 credits.

I will also leave the official wiki link about game economy if you want to skim that to see if it helps better.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Economy#Experience

[HINON]
Supertester
19,207 posts
12,733 battles

XP is used to research and unlock ships and modules. Free XP is spent only if you are researching / unlocking something and don't have enough XP on the appropriate ship to unlock it without the free XP.

Say you have 8000 XP on your (elited) South Carolina and 1500 free XP and want to unlock the Wyoming. It will spend the 8000 XP on South Carolina first, and then - because 8000 is not enough - will dip into your free XP. It even gives you a warning when you are trying to unlock something that it's going to use free XP to do so. In order to not use free XP when unlocking Wyomin, make sure you have enough XP on your South Carolina. IE, 9000.

[SPARO]
[SPARO]
Members
53 posts
4,535 battles

The picture is slowly becoming clearer.  I should be looking in the upper right corner at the commander to check my progress towards new ships (if thats the case) and I understand that

the XP will only be used if I don't have enough exchange credits to make the deal sweet. Okay, a little bit more and I'll be ready to set sail at sunrise.

You folks (commanders) have been very helpful for this newby (4 months now) and I greatly appreciate it.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,430 posts
2,396 battles
58 minutes ago, Col_Calibre said:

the Exchange Credits 

Currency_wows_client.png

That little phrase up there is not a label, it is a button to let you turn Doubloons into Credits.  (The correct term is "Credits".) 

Likewise the "Convert XP" under the green Free XP amount is a button to let you convert Elite XP (XP on Elite ships) into Free XP, or FXP.

You would do well to read this section: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Economy

Edited by iDuckman

[HINON]
Supertester
19,207 posts
12,733 battles
10 minutes ago, Col_Calibre said:

the XP will only be used if I don't have enough exchange credits to make the deal sweet.

No. XP and credits are two completely different resources and used for different things. I'm going to make a few screenshots to help illustrate and make it more clear. Be back in a few minutes.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,207 posts
12,733 battles
15 minutes ago, Col_Calibre said:

The picture is slowly becoming clearer.  I should be looking in the upper right corner at the commander to check my progress towards new ships (if thats the case) and I understand that

Ok, here's the research window of my Saint Louis, T9 French cruiser:

nLGCjJm.jpg

In green is ship XP. In red is credits. In blue is free XP. And in yellow is research cost.

As you can see, it will take me 238000 XP to unlock the Henri IV. I don't have enough for that in ship XP and free XP combined. If I had, say, 200000 ship XP on my Saint Louis and 40000 free XP, I could unlock Henri IV. To do so it would use up the 200000 ship XP first and then start using free XP, 38000 of it. If I had 240000 ship XP on Saint Louis, it would just use 238000 of that, and not dip into my free XP.

Ship XP needs to be on the right ship. For example, I can only unlock Henri IV from the Saint Louis, any XP that I have on any other ship doesn't help me unlock Henri IV.

So, say I have enough XP total and use it to unlock the Henri IV. Then it's unlocked, but I still don't have it. That's where credits come into play, it will cost me 20000000 credits to buy Henri IV after unlocking it.

So, in recap. XP is used to unlock things. Ship XP gets used before free XP, and free XP only gets used if you don't have enough ship XP on the appropriate ship. After unlocking something, credits are used to buy it.

• Cool 3

[SPARO]
[SPARO]
Members
53 posts
4,535 battles

Admiral Lert, you have opened my eyes and I think I am understanding what they all mean.  Still a little fuzzy but only time will tell.

In 4 months, I've made it to the T4 and with a little help from my comrade in Texas, the next bunch will always be a tad smoother. I believe it is much harder to make

it to T5 from T4 than the previous lower levels. Orion and Emerald require more going to T5.

All of you,  thanks a million for your advice and insight.

Edited by Col_Calibre

[WOLF3]
Members
6,430 posts
2,396 battles

@Lert didn't WG say something about making a video explaining all the features of the Port screen?  Any chance I missed it?

[HINON]
Supertester
19,207 posts
12,733 battles
9 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

@Lert didn't WG say something about making a video explaining all the features of the Port screen?  Any chance I missed it?

WG has said many things.