You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Theokolese

What is the deal with the Black Swan?

30 comments in this topic

Members
326 posts
31 battles

I just started playing this game a few days ago and picked the British cruiser, is it just me or does this ships seem a little unfair?

shot-18.07.21_10.22.05-0193.jpg

shot-18.07.17_18.49.58-0795.jpg

shot-18.07.17_17.54.14-0230.jpg

shot-18.07.17_17.36.14-0988.jpg

• Cool 1

Supertester
1,464 posts
16 battles

Black Swan is overpowered, you get herds of them slowly migrating around spamming forth their pecking AP shells.

This mostly comes from Black Swan having 6 guns, a very good RoF, and AP. Although the 102mm guns are small, there are 6 of them, and they fire very fast, so I would reduce the RoF to 4s at least, and probably more. Even with HE, the RoF would make the ship overpowered. At least the HE would be doing less damage per hit though, while the AP can shred anything that gives the slightest hint of broadside. Clearly applying AP only to the entirety of the RN CL line was a bit of a blunder.

While some may just say it is a tier 1 and it can be glossed over, tier 1 is the first introduction for new players, and having a rather blatantly overpowered ship here, with non standard ammunition is probably not the best way to acclimatise the newest of players. 

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,333 posts
6,609 battles

Black Swan is the overpowered ship at T1, which became OP when the ammunition choices for everyone else got limited.

Members
326 posts
31 battles

How come almost nobody shoots at me? I am firing away as fast as I can and it is almost like they can't see me or they ignore me altogether? Something doesn't seem right.

Alpha Tester
1,969 posts
11 minutes ago, Theokolese said:

How come almost nobody shoots at me? I am firing away as fast as I can and it is almost like they can't see me or they ignore me altogether? Something doesn't seem right.

Some are bots I think. You can tell if they have :: in their names.

[LHG]
Members
1,196 posts
4,986 battles

Black Swan is overpowered because it's balanced like its competitors can bounce the shells reliably if angled when they really can't. Or don't, because they've literally just picked up the game.

Edited by Flashtirade

Members
1,864 posts
829 battles
Just now, Flashtirade said:

Black Swan is overpowered because it's balanced like its competitors can bounce the shells reliably if angled when they really can't.

This is important.  I can't even steer the thing correctly yet, but I can angle and tank, soak up non damaging hits, and blast sides when the bots over angle.  If you can actually maneuver, you can get to the sides pretty easy and get citadels.

Members
763 posts
15,873 battles

Clearly something isn't as it seems, as the last screenshot shows no Free XP gained in the battle.

The Swan is effective with an experienced capt., but it has a glass jaw, particularly against Erie's big guns.
As to the recurring myth of the overpowered Swan:

I would enjoy meeting @Theokolese in combat sometime to experience his... experience.

nCrNWK8.jpg

EDIT: I see he's only account level 12, so he's a rerolled character unleashing his skill amongst the truly baby seals of account levels below 12 in the kiddie pool tier 1 / 2 environment. We await him in REAL, RANDOM Tier 1. ;)

Edited by theLaalaa
  • Bad 1

Members
326 posts
31 battles

Okies I am an idiot, I think I was in some sort of protected mode...where even though it was a random match it wasn't against real players. I just played a game where there were no : in front of peoples names.....very different story lol.

[BSL]
Members
744 posts
14,570 battles

Swan allows you to play bow forward with 4 guns.  All the other T1 have to angle to get four.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles

Wait till you put a 19 point commander in it, camo, add some flags, then play 10k battles at t1

• Funny 1

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
4 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

Wait till you put a 19 point commander in it, camo, add some flags, then play 10k battles at t1

Yeah... then just wait for your Cool Dude medal to.come in the mail.

• Cool 1

[MK48]
[MK48]
Members
115 posts
1,646 battles

Prob one of better if not best t1 boat. I found the rest of the ca line lacking , at the emerald now which is ok with its smoke and torps - no he sucks though. Fiji, do want :cap_look:

[WOLF9]
Members
3,256 posts

Just about all of the tier 1 gunboats are loads of fun!  They have to be, in order to induce players to stay.

That said, My preferences are the Cheng An and the Bougainville.   Both of which I ground out in one match in Co-op, lol.  Both of these ships can blast out plenty of citadels with their HE.

Erie was my favorite before they changed everything, with Hermelin in second place, due to it's very strong AP.

Members
1,029 posts
13,067 battles
10 hours ago, Theokolese said:

I'll be waiting for you starting at tier 4...I only play lower tiers than that rarely... if you really need someone to shot at you. Although I don't specialize in running newbies through their baptism of fire like some players do I recognize the need to initiate all newbies to the harsh realities of higher tier battle.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles
9 hours ago, Canadatron said:

Yeah... then just wait for your Cool Dude medal to.come in the mail.

You should go play a few t 1 matches and that is what you see, its island camping ca's, people with anything up to 12k battles

Members
1,102 posts
6,229 battles
11 hours ago, theLaalaa said:

Clearly something isn't as it seems, as the last screenshot shows no Free XP gained in the battle.

The Swan is effective with an experienced capt., but it has a glass jaw, particularly against Erie's big guns.

I would enjoy meeting @Theokolese in combat sometime to experience his... experience.

nCrNWK8.jpg

EDIT: I see he's only account level 12, so he's a rerolled character unleashing his skill amongst the truly baby seals of account levels below 12 in the kiddie pool tier 1 / 2 environment. We await him in REAL, RANDOM Tier 1. ;)

Over 13,000 battles and you're awaiting a newb in tier 1 random? 

• Funny 1

[DENY]
Members
228 posts
6,783 battles
13 hours ago, theLaalaa said:

nCrNWK8.jpg

The top video is pretty dumb, as the narrator does not understand saturation. The reason why he isn't doing any damage is he keeps hitting in a completely saturated location.

He isn't getting a citidal, so he can't do any damage because of saturation.

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,151 posts
3,665 battles
14 hours ago, Trainspite said:

Black Swan is overpowered, you get herds of them slowly migrating around spamming forth their pecking AP shells.

This mostly comes from Black Swan having 6 guns, a very good RoF, and AP. Although the 102mm guns are small, there are 6 of them, and they fire very fast, so I would reduce the RoF to 4s at least, and probably more. Even with HE, the RoF would make the ship overpowered. At least the HE would be doing less damage per hit though, while the AP can shred anything that gives the slightest hint of broadside. Clearly applying AP only to the entirety of the RN CL line was a bit of a blunder.

While some may just say it is a tier 1 and it can be glossed over, tier 1 is the first introduction for new players, and having a rather blatantly overpowered ship here, with non standard ammunition is probably not the best way to acclimatise the newest of players. 

so much this

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,718 posts
8,150 battles
On 7/21/2018 at 1:24 PM, Airglide2 said:

LoL, that thing is OP.

Only so long as wg believes every other t1 shouldn't have AP. Personally i'd like to see these restrictions removed.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,452 posts
4,302 battles
10 hours ago, Crokodone said:

Only so long as eg believes every other t1 shouldn't have AP. Personally i'd like to see these restrictions removed.

I came into the game in August of last year. IIRC, other ships still had ammo switch and the Erie still had her 5-inch guns. That option seems to have been removed, which is a shame, because I have an Erie-specced 10-pointer with AFT and BFT...