Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
The_Grand_One

Gallant and the RN DD line

10 comments in this topic

[LEGIT]
Members
380 posts
8,585 battles

As the new British DD line has been announced and teased, And the flavor seems to be a long lasting/ short range Hydro, I would suggest perhaps giving Gallant a helping hand and giving it access to the same british Hydro that Haida/Cossack, and the rest of the mid/top tier main line RN DD's do/will have. This would maybe make the ship a little more exciting and better performing, as Gallant is kind of "meh" with nothing really unique about it. This ship was released a while back , perhaps before they had figured out the direction they wanted to go with the RN DD's? Besides there is precedent for buffing some premiums that tend to somewhat underperform slightly, like the recent addition of a repair party to Prinz Eugen.

What do you people think? Good idea, bad idea... needed, not needed... (or don't care)? Will Wargaming ever even see this, or have they forgotten about the Gallant?

I just thought it would make sense to align Gallant with the rest of her british sister DD's instead of being the one "oddball" premium ship that has less than the other ships of it's nation and type.

[BIAS]
Members
3,138 posts
9,224 battles

Gallant is a boat that clicked with me for some odd reason. I dont feel the need for it to have any buffs or anything, but I am but one player. 

I can't think of many dds I would take out before it, fubuki, maybe shinonome. 

Members
523 posts
3,683 battles

Lots of folks consider this little DD as one of the best at it's tier.  If ranked returns to T6, then you will see how good it really is.  Granted, this holds as long as the T-61 doesn't ruin the party.  There are many of us who are (im)patiently waiting for it's glorious appearance.  In terms of ranked T6 DD's, the Gallant, Fubuki-Shinonome, and Aigle are the "A" team.  Each one would fill a very specific role.  

[LEGIT]
Members
380 posts
8,585 battles
2 minutes ago, Uber_Ghost said:

Lots of folks consider this little DD as one of the best at it's tier.  If ranked returns to T6, then you will see how good it really is.  Granted, this holds as long as the T-61 doesn't ruin the party.  There are many of us who are (im)patiently waiting for it's glorious appearance.  In terms of ranked T6 DD's, the Gallant, Fubuki-Shinonome, and Aigle are the "A" team.  Each one would fill a very specific role.  

Yeah I wasn't calling Gallant "bad" , I just don't think it's as exciting as the Aigle is. I would welcome the option of switching out speed boost for hydro on Gallant at the player's discretion, And it would simply make sense to align the ship with the others of it's nation and type.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,799 posts
10,299 battles

Gallant looks leagues better than Icarus as it is. Icarus has to give up her speed boost for that crummy hydro.

Gallant gets 8x 8km torpedoes that reload in 24s per torpedo and do 61kt.

Icarus gets 10x 7km torpedoes that reload in 26.6s per torpedo and do 59kt.

Icarus's lack of range, speed and reload on the torpedoes is a bad trade, you lose half the stealth-torp window in exchange for not much. Gallant also has an extra 800 HP despite having been sunk earlier war and being a lighter ship.

The hydro is hilariously useless - 2.73km ship detection is worse than many smoke shooting detection thresholds. 1.9km torpedo spotting is a joke when the IJN torps have 1.6km detection already. Gallant should feel grateful she's not lumbered with it over the speed boost.

Gallant isn't great, but she does the job and is flexible, I've only started to like her with a 19pt captain which says a lot. Overall though given that most T6 DD are less than remarkable she's in the balance window. If I could get anything for her I'd want a bit more torpedo range.

Alpha Tester
1,959 posts

Personally I think Gallant should've been a T5 premium. I play her regularly in PvE scenarios and most of the time she just feels overtiered. Maybe if she was Glowworm with quintuple torpedo tubes, I'd be happy for her to be T6. IMO Gallant could really use a buff or two.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,175 battles
34 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Gallant is a boat that clicked with me for some odd reason. I dont feel the need for it to have any buffs or anything, but I am but one player. 

I can't think of many dds I would take out before it, fubuki, maybe shinonome. 

Because british DDs are just IJN DDs with usable guns and maneuverability. After you have played IJN DD line, every other DD line feels better.

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,514 posts
4,411 battles

I just wish WG would stop gimmicking the crap out of the British. I would prefer a bog standard DD smokescreen.

I am a simple person and all I want are decent guns, decent torps with decent range, decent duration smokescreen, decent stealth, and a bloody engine boost to help with the meh speed.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,173 posts
11,691 battles

I'm not really a fan of the ship, but I can't say that's because she needs help.  She feels like she has the tools necessary to get the job done, it just doesn't really suit me.  She's a bit of a jack of all trades, master of none. 

Sign in to follow this