You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Coal - are you using it? Storing it? Ignoring it?

185 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

I'm at 66,100 lumps of coal... or is that metric tonnes? In any case, the number is 66.1KoC. What to do with it?

My first instinct is to just forget it exists, maybe check in once a month to see what's there. When they implemented coal, I started with 45K or 49K - don't remember. But as it is now, i've earned through various channels ~ 20K coal... which seems like a lot. 

I'm 1/3rd of the way to the Salem, a tier X ship. At a rate much faster than I expected. 

You think the coal handouts will start slowing soon? The Salem is my target if I save it. But hey - I want to know what you guys are doing.

How fast you collecting it? Are you spending it? Any tips to maximize the collection of it? So on and so forth! TIAFYC

• Boring 1

Beta Testers
1,461 posts
3,211 battles

Im storing it. If i decide to use it, it will be for Musashi, as im saving the free xp for Alaska is she becomes the new US freexp ship

• Funny 1

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,133 posts
7,661 battles

Ostensibly, I'm saving up for Salem.  However, I've been undermining that by buying Special Upgrades to ensure I have the optimal build for testing select new ships. 

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
Just now, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Ostensibly, I'm saving up for Salem.  However, I've been undermining that by buying Special Upgrades to ensure I have the optimal build for testing select new ships. 

I'm saving up to get Aigle, because I don't have her. However, I've been undermining that by buying collection containers so I can finish the Dunkirk collection and get Jack Dunkirk.

[AAA]
Members
440 posts
5,482 battles

Kenny Rogers says you got to know when to hold em and know when to fold em.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,894 posts
12,629 battles

Saved up enough to buy crates to finish off Dunkirk, Bismarck and US collections and now saving it for whatever strikes my fancy.

[NEMO]
[NEMO]
Members
756 posts
6,991 battles

Saving for the Salem.

I've got a LOOOOONG way to go, however...

[BIAS]
Members
3,155 posts
9,283 battles

Bought a few modules, namely smoke and hydro for the Haida. Just sitting on the rest for now. Salem doesn't interest me a great deal, but I've learnt from the best, @Lord_Zath, that you don't have to need resources in the game to feel the need to stock up and hoard them. 

Alpha Tester
1,966 posts

Saving it for a future reshuffle if/when it comes. None of the items in the Arsenal interest me. If I wanted Musashi I can buy her with free XP which is much faster to earn by farming in Operation Cherry Blossom, but I'm waiting for a free XP DD (hoping it's either Johnston or Laffey).

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
37 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I'm at 66,100 lumps of coal... or is that metric tonnes? In any case, the number is 66.1KoC. What to do with it?

My first instinct is to just forget it exists, maybe check in once a month to see what's there. When they implemented coal, I started with 45K or 49K - don't remember. But as it is now, i've earned through various channels ~ 20K coal... which seems like a lot. 

I'm 1/3rd of the way to the Salem, a tier X ship. At a rate much faster than I expected. 

You think the coal handouts will start slowing soon? The Salem is my target if I save it. But hey - I want to know what you guys are doing.

How fast you collecting it? Are you spending it? Any tips to maximize the collection of it? So on and so forth! TIAFYC

Mostly ignoring. I haven't spent any and I've only even looked at the Arsenal twice, I think.

[PVE]
Members
9,807 posts
7,492 battles

I've bought two special upgrades. I just bought two Dunkirk sets for 10k coal and completed the Dunkirk collection. I'm thinking I'll put Dunkirk on Fiji to move up the line.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I used some to get a hydro module, but other than that, I don't have enough to get anything else interesting.

[PSP]
Members
6,328 posts
8,952 battles
37 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Saved up enough to buy crates to finish off Dunkirk, Bismarck and US collections and now saving it for whatever strikes my fancy.

I finished some collections too. It's just pixels but having an unfinished collection annoys me.

• Cool 1

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
624 posts
1 hour ago, JSFWRX85 said:

Im storing it. If i decide to use it, it will be for Musashi, as im saving the free xp for Alaska is she becomes the new US freexp ship

Same here

5 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Saving my Coal in case Scharnhorst gets added to the Arsenal.

So you did not get it yesterday?  That was the best sale I have seen on the Scharny!

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,687 posts
9,098 battles

I used a couple of coupons and bought some economic flags but have pretty much made what I spent back already. Otherwise I am hoarding it like it was Smaug's gold.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,463 posts
8,136 battles

Saving for Salem or, if they do it as they have with Musashi, Alaska.

And given the fairly insane prices, I don't think it'll slow down. Even with the coupon to knock it down to 180k I think it is, starting at about 30k coal, averaging 5k coal a week would take 30 weeks or roughly 7 1/2 months to obtain, assuming the coupon never expires. 

But that's at 5k a week. Not counting the random days of all coal rewards, can't factor those in off the top of my head, but generally, were getting 450 a day, assuming we hit them all, 7 days, 3150 per week. if we get one a week of the "all coal, all the time" that matches the rewards, I think that takes us to 4500 - still well under the 5k a week mark to get it in 7 1/2 months. Least anyone not jumping at the bit for the overly competitive game modes. At the current rate between random bonuses to xp/free xp, various flags that can be earned usually with ease by containers and missions and sometimes combat, and limitless griding, you can likely earn the free XP or for a normal ship regular xp for a ship faster than you can get coal. 

[PVE]
Members
9,807 posts
7,492 battles
Just now, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Saving my Coal in case Scharnhorst gets added to the Arsenal.

You missed the 50% off Scharnhorst sale yesterday? It was $21.57.

[RKLES]
Members
7,229 posts
9,022 battles
9 minutes ago, jmanII said:

Same here

So you did not get it yesterday?  That was the best sale I have seen on the Scharny!

Sadly no, can’t spend any cash on the game and only had half the Doubloons saved up to have paid the sale price. :Smile_sad:

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
2,170 posts
5,028 battles

@LittleWhiteMouse I have heard Salem actually has the tier X premium camo bonuses live instead of the standard premium camo.  That would make her much more economically viable.  Is there any truth to that if you know?