Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Smoke Gen Mod 1 special upgrade

9 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

77
[DBM]
Members
354 posts
3,920 battles

Anyone used coal to get this one?  Action time increase by 30% but duration decreased by 5%

Is it worth it?  If so, on which dds does it make sense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
147
Members
711 posts

I would say Perth and Haida would benefit the most, due to their smoke and how it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
506
[LOU1]
Members
3,058 posts
8,140 battles
50 minutes ago, b101uk said:

I would say Perth and Haida would benefit the most, due to their smoke and how it works.

Huanghe has the same smoke system as Perth and Haida.  Sometimes it is used for USN DDs to lay a long trail of smoke on Speed Boost. You can hide several ships with room from them to maneuver.  Not so useful now that BBs can't fire from smoke without being detected.  The only trick is you have to definitely be outside to spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
147
Members
711 posts

@ExploratorOne

 

true but, the advantage vs. disadvantage ratio is better with Perth and Haida (and Huanghe), as your gaining 27sec of total smoke emission time and only losing 0.5sec duration per individual emission, while for tier VII normal US smoke your gaining just ~8sec smoke emission time and losing ~6.5sec of duration, which is really little gained that is only of use in some special circumstance. 

 

i.e.

90sec * 1.3 = 117sec action time

10sec * 0.95 = 9.5sec duration

vs.

27sec * 1.3 = 35.1sec action time

121sec * 0.95 = 114.65sec duration

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
506
[LOU1]
Members
3,058 posts
8,140 battles
28 minutes ago, b101uk said:

@ExploratorOne

 

true but, the advantage vs. disadvantage ratio is better with Perth and Haida (and Huanghe), as your gaining 27sec of total smoke emission time and only losing 0.5sec duration per individual emission, while for tier VII normal US smoke your gaining just ~8sec smoke emission time and losing ~6.5sec of duration, which is really little gained that is only of use in some special circumstance. 

 

i.e.

90sec * 1.3 = 117sec action time

10sec * 0.95 = 9.5sec duration

vs.

27sec * 1.3 = 35.1sec action time

121sec * 0.95 = 114.65sec duration

How true.  I no longer run the smoke mod on anything other than that trio.  The Smoke Expert skill is more than sufficient to expand the smoke for other ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,738 posts
9,901 battles

I have been known to use it on my vape machine also known as Gearing.  The extra 9 seconds of smoke is nice when laying extra long smoke curtains, and the duration still exceeds two minutes.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
111
[RUST]
Beta Testers
514 posts
4,670 battles

MrDeaf did a topic on this very subject awhile back which assuming the data hasn't majorly changed is worth a read.  Note that this is from 2017 so it pre-dates the Haida and Huanghe by quite a bit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
436
[CAST]
Members
1,428 posts
5,970 battles
13 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I have been known to use it on my vape machine also known as Gearing.  The extra 9 seconds of smoke is nice when laying extra long smoke curtains, and the duration still exceeds two minutes.

Bingo.  It's really not all that useful in randoms imo, particularly when playing solo, but it can come in very handy when playing a support role in more team-oriented game modes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×