You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Wrayeth

Republique

29 comments in this topic

[EGO] Wrayeth
67 posts
7,771 battles

So I just got the Republique and I've gotta say that I'm seriously impressed.  This was my first (and, so far, only) battle in her:

shot-18_07.21_02_20.30-0066.thumb.jpg.c6b5e2b986aa6cc2542d44a1e0974dec.jpg

Her guns are hellaciously accurate, and the shells' high velocity allow them to reach targets swiftly even at long ranges.  Add to that an extremely high rate of fire and excellent penetration, and the ship massively exceeded my expectations.  I thought I'd enjoy playing a few games in her, then go back to mostly playing my Montana as far as T10's go...but now my Monty's going to have to share.  So glad I chose to finish up the last two ships in the French line rather than the German (I'm dreading the FDG).

Anyway, I haven't been this impressed with a new ship in a very long time.

• Cool 2

[SPTR] Rolkatsuki
25,226 posts
10,338 battles

I was playing her earlier today, and dear lord! because of her accurate fast firing high velocity rounds, you can use her speed to flank and fight at the limits of your effective range, a range that is not within the vicinity of most other BB's effective main battery range. /^,\\

[AXANR] poeticmotion
3,313 posts
16,180 battles

Republique's become my favorite BB in the game because of how versatile she is. She can reposition and flex across the map quickly, and she can brawl like a champion. I tend to enjoy brawling, but with the high-tier camp meta the way it is, I can't always push the way I want to because my team is cowering 10km behind me. The thing I love about Republique is, as Rolkatsuki pointed out, she's accurate out to long range, so when I can't close in to secondary range, I can still have a strong impact on the battle. 

Don't let her accuracy keep you at long range, though; a brawler build gives you 12.1km of secondaries range and she puts out a lot of firepower from those secondaries. While you have to be more cognizant of your angling and positioning when brawling compared to a GK, you can still tank a lot of fire when angled correctly and the dps of a brawler build Republique inside her secondaries range is phenomenal. So long as you're cautious about overextending (which is my biggest downfall, personally) you can do very well with Republique in the 10-12km engagement range, just inside secondaries envelope. 

• Cool 1

574 posts
6,839 battles
Posted (edited)

Same, I am impressed how fast her guns reload...
I too got her recently (well... couple of days ago) and been loving her... though my WR on her is bad right now since I keep ending up in a... lets just say I had a bad luck on every game but a lucky damage results...

Some screenie where I had her very first over 200k+ damage and a Kraken
shot-18_07.16_11_44.52-0331.thumb.jpg.f44fe45a333af76ca1519815584e53af.jpg

Can't wait to get her legendary mod, some people have doubts about that but for me, it's a good trade to sacrifice range for lesser reload time...

Edited by Amatsukaze_KaiNi
typo

[E-E] HazeGrayUnderway
[E-E]
14,534 posts
13,171 battles
Posted (edited)

The best thing about the guns is that they feel like they're always ready to punish a mistake.  BBs with traditional gun reload speeds in the 28+ second category, you can bait them to fire at a bad time with auto-bounce, etc., and when they do, you got half a minute to do what you want, and be back in a more defensive profile, ready to receive their next volley.  You unmask to fire all your guns and go back to a better angle before the next enemy salvo is ready.

You can't do that against Republique.  The guns are almost always ready, especially if she's built with MBM3 and AR kicking in.  You can bait her to fire at a bad time, but when you unmask to fire more of your guns, her own have already reloaded and will fire back before you go back to the more appropriate angle.

Republique's guns are an example of how you do atypical BB gun setups for this game.

The only thing that really worries me with Republique are Cruisers.  Cruisers eat French and RN BBs alive due to them relying so much on 32mm armor.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

1,435 posts
7,488 battles

Hey

I have to admit; I am struggling to get the gun lead correct. I like the ship but struggling to figure out the guns, the 21 sec. reload is nice considering only 8 guns.  The ship handles well but it would have been good to have a spotter or even some kind of hydro, puts it as a problem with DD's.  First game was 84.4K but next 2 was only about 25K each, just couldn't make the guns connect.  I was hoping for a larger version of the Gascogne which I love.  Need more time in her.

Pete

[1RD] HMCS_Moncton
28 posts
4,568 battles
On 7/21/2018 at 6:53 AM, poeticmotion said:

Republique's become my favorite BB in the game because of how versatile she is. She can reposition and flex across the map quickly, and she can brawl like a champion. I tend to enjoy brawling, but with the high-tier camp meta the way it is, I can't always push the way I want to because my team is cowering 10km behind me. The thing I love about Republique is, as Rolkatsuki pointed out, she's accurate out to long range, so when I can't close in to secondary range, I can still have a strong impact on the battle. 

Don't let her accuracy keep you at long range, though; a brawler build gives you 12.1km of secondaries range and she puts out a lot of firepower from those secondaries. While you have to be more cognizant of your angling and positioning when brawling compared to a GK, you can still tank a lot of fire when angled correctly and the dps of a brawler build Republique inside her secondaries range is phenomenal. So long as you're cautious about overextending (which is my biggest downfall, personally) you can do very well with Republique in the 10-12km engagement range, just inside secondaries envelope. 

Seriously agree, dude.  These are two of my best games in her (yes, it's Co-Op...and yes, that is a whopping 549 secondary hits).  She is a brawler extraordinaire, even better than Alsace.  Kurryfurst is better armoured obviously, but République is faster & more agile.  Almost have her Unique upgrade, which will drop the main battery reload to an incredible 19.7 seconds.  You don't even have to fear the mighty Yamato, as République's 17 inch guns will punish Yammie hard if she shows too much broadside.  That first game pictured, I got caught out before I could use islands for cover, so not wanting to expose too much broadside, I waded into a column of three ships at point blank range (after my secondaries had already taken out a destroyer).  I remember the ships being an Iowa, a GK, and an Ibuki.  I put my secondaries on one ship while using my main guns on another.  I ended up almost trading paint with the Ibuki, closing the distance so that if he launched torpedoes, they wouldn't arm (He did...and they didn't..thud, thud, thud, thud).  I came out the other side with only about a third of my health left, but all three ships were sunk.  I capped off the game by cit penning the enemy carrier from halfway across the map.  Beast of a ship, my favourite of the whole game.

One for the Ages - République - 6 ships 22 planes 4001 EXP.png

Xbox 2018-08-01 5_38_37 PM.png

[1RD] HMCS_Moncton
28 posts
4,568 battles

Seriously agree, dude.  These are two of my best games in her (yes, it's Co-Op...and yes, that is a whopping 549 secondary hits).  She is a brawler extraordinaire, even better than Alsace.  Kurryfurst is better armoured obviously, but République is faster & more agile.  Almost have her Unique upgrade, which will drop the main battery reload to an incredible 19.7 seconds.  You don't even have to fear the mighty Yamato, as République's 17 inch guns will punish Yammie hard if she shows too much broadside.  That first game pictured, I got caught out before I could use islands for cover, so not wanting to expose too much broadside, I waded into a column of three ships at point blank range (after my secondaries had already taken out a destroyer).  I remember the ships being an Iowa, a GK, and an Ibuki.  I put my secondaries on one ship while using my main guns on another.  I ended up almost trading paint with the Ibuki, closing the distance so that if he launched torpedoes, they wouldn't arm (He did...and they didn't..thud, thud, thud, thud).  I came out the other side with only about a third of my health left, but all three ships were sunk.  I capped off the game by cit penning the enemy carrier from halfway across the map.  Beast of a ship, my favourite of the whole game.

[PLPTS] n00bot
417 posts
5,934 battles

République is my first T10 BB and it certainly seems a beast.  I fear no-one, as long as there’s a way to avoid HE spam. 100k games almost every time.  Easy mode.

I came here from the Destroyer play thread, which reads like “Radar is OP, pls nerf.”  “BB’s are OP, pls nerf their AP.”

I guess this forum doesn’t disagree, talking about how great the République is, with no mention of “gee I can’t brawl because DD torps are just too good”

Sad, really.  At T10 I have 4 DD’s, 2 CA’s, plus the Repub, and the BB is so clearly better than the other ships. Class balance seems off.

[RKLES] Admiral_Thrawn_1
6,437 posts
7,867 battles
On 7/21/2018 at 5:31 AM, Rolkatsuki said:

I was playing her earlier today, and dear lord! because of her accurate fast firing high velocity rounds, you can use her speed to flank and fight at the limits of your effective range, a range that is not within the vicinity of most other BB's effective main battery range. /^,\\

Yeah only Yamato can really match her. Been seeing Republique be rather good in Clan Battles, Monty and Conqueror are usually just amusing targets to shoot at for me in that mode, Kurfurst think misty has been misplayed since in soace battkes I did far better than my opponents have been playing it. But another Yamato or Republic vs my Yanato has been more interesting.

( not saying Montana or Conqueror are necessarily bad ships since they can do well innRandoms, but in Clan battles they have suffered.)

[ENDVR] SmokeHenge
193 posts
4,926 battles

Love it but have demounted the legendary mod twice now because it makes me feel restricted when I’m done on a flank.  Also removes the ability to get wacky hits in during the early game.

Mileage may vary, but i suggest not idolizing the legendary module.

[SCREW] MisterSlithers
70 posts
6,493 battles

I like the Republique until you absolutely need to push and the enemy decide youre primary my god HE melts this thing into a puddle of sad

[PLPTS] n00bot
417 posts
5,934 battles
On 7/21/2018 at 6:35 AM, BearlyHereBear said:

Scharnhorst writ big....

It’s not a Scharnhorst at all.  The guns are heavy & punchy with long range, and the République isn’t a great brawler, despite the secondaries.

[ANKER] Seniorious
229 posts
3,542 battles
On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:34 PM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah only Yamato can really match her. Been seeing Republique be rather good in Clan Battles, Monty and Conqueror are usually just amusing targets to shoot at for me in that mode, Kurfurst think misty has been misplayed since in soace battkes I did far better than my opponents have been playing it. But another Yamato or Republic vs my Yanato has been more interesting.

( not saying Montana or Conqueror are necessarily bad ships since they can do well innRandoms, but in Clan battles they have suffered.)

Republique's guns are more powerful than Yamato until 20km in terms of pure penetration, and her 431mm guns can overmatch the deck of Des Moines and some other cruisers. 
She also has a 2.0 sigma vs Yamato's 2.1, and her guns also fly on a much flatter arc. On top of the massive Reload advantage. Having better secondaries too. Better top speed. Better mobility with Speed Boost. Better AA by a factor of 2x or more. She has 8 guns vs 9 on Yamato, against the typical 12x 16" guns of the Mont, GK, and Conq. 
Where Repu loses out significantly is on armor, she is the most vulnerable battleship of them all. For whatever reason, every part of her including the massive belt is coated in 32mm armor, allowing Yamato to hit her basically anywhere and penetrate. IFHE shells will also take a dump on her, as will 203mm cruisers and god forbid we find out what IFHE Harugumo will do to a Repu.

[RKLES] Admiral_Thrawn_1
6,437 posts
7,867 battles
3 minutes ago, Seniorious said:

Republique's guns are more powerful than Yamato until 20km in terms of pure penetration, and her 431mm guns can overmatch the deck of Des Moines and some other cruisers. 
She also has a 2.0 sigma vs Yamato's 2.1, and her guns also fly on a much flatter arc. On top of the massive Reload advantage. Having better secondaries too. Better top speed. Better mobility with Speed Boost. Better AA by a factor of 2x or more. She has 8 guns vs 9 on Yamato, against the typical 12x 16" guns of the Mont, GK, and Conq. 
Where Repu loses out significantly is on armor, she is the most vulnerable battleship of them all. For whatever reason, every part of her including the massive belt is coated in 32mm armor, allowing Yamato to hit her basically anywhere and penetrate. IFHE shells will also take a dump on her, as will 203mm cruisers and god forbid we find out what IFHE Harugumo will do to a Repu.

Yeah I have brawled Republique many times in Clan Wars with Yamato, and I can also cause catastrophic damage that Republique by aiming below the second main turret. Of course that is with Yamato guns, so not sure about how lower caliber guns would do. Yamato shells can also be highly effective up to 25km range just as they were in real life up to that range. And is Republic is trying to broadside duel a Yamato at that range and if Yamato player is highly experienced in using the ship, then the 9 main guns vs the 8 main guns can play a major factor in getting more hits in and thanks to armor differences Yammy can pen the Republique more often.

But have to admit the 2 BBs are all too matched in power often times if you weigh their pros and cons.

[1-] _Marines
509 posts
3,027 battles

Very good points here. Like HMCS_Moncton who scored 500+ secondary hits, can I say it makes sense to run Republique with a dedicated secondary build?

[BSL] BearlyHereBear
696 posts
14,014 battles
17 hours ago, n00bot said:

It’s not a Scharnhorst at all.  The guns are heavy & punchy with long range, and the République isn’t a great brawler, despite the secondaries.

The comparison was about rate of fire and Republique brawls pretty well with most boats.

[AXANR] poeticmotion
3,313 posts
16,180 battles
On 8/17/2018 at 7:39 PM, _Marines said:

Very good points here. Like HMCS_Moncton who scored 500+ secondary hits, can I say it makes sense to run Republique with a dedicated secondary build?

I run her with a pure secondaries build and she's by far my strongest performing t10 ship. My commander build: Priority Target, Expert Marksman, Adrenaline Rush, Superintendent (for extra heal+boost), BFT, AFT, Manual Secondaries. I do not use IFHE because her 127/152mm secondary battery doesnt benefit much from it. I use IFHE on Alsace but by forgoing IFHE on Repub I can run EM and BFT, both of which I forgo on Alsace.

EqdKIMP.png

94BAQtR.png

• Cool 1

1,435 posts
7,488 battles

Hey

I wish she had some sort of spotter (although her gun range is already good) or hydro to help with spotting of DD's when there are no allies nearby.  It also could use a bit of a buff to the HP since it's clearly lacking compared to her rivals (Something like -13K compared to my GK) considering their weaker armor/citadel.  Still a good boat overall.

Pete

[SF-3] SFNL
41 posts
11,959 battles

Only downside to the ship is its a tinder box for HE spammers otherwise my Favorite T10 BB.

[CVA16] Sabot_100
1,914 posts
9,263 battles
1 hour ago, SFNL said:

Only downside to the ship is its a tinder box for HE spammers otherwise my Favorite T10 BB.

Has anybody tried a more fire-prevention build? You sacrifice to get it but many posters have mentioned getting burned down is a major downside to this ship.

Personally still at the Richelieu. Already had the Alsace nerfed before I could get to it. Hoping the Republique remains strong.

[SF-3] SFNL
41 posts
11,959 battles

To be honest the Alsace really doesn't feel that nerfed to me...still a strong ship.  I'll try a fire prevention build and see what happens.  In CW it was a fire target to burn.

[CVA16] Sabot_100
1,914 posts
9,263 battles
6 minutes ago, SFNL said:

To be honest the Alsace really doesn't feel that nerfed to me...still a strong ship.  I'll try a fire prevention build and see what happens.  In CW it was a fire target to burn.

Interesting to know how that turns out. Obviously lose some offense.

Then again, with the release of Stalingrad, T10 play may have Jumped-the-Shark so working toward another T10 may not be worth it.